NEWS Puppet Developer Considers Bailing on GPL - Linux

This is a discussion on NEWS Puppet Developer Considers Bailing on GPL - Linux ; http://www.dreamnotoftoday.com/?p=893 ------ Puppet Developer Considers Bailing on GPL Tags: gpl, linuxworld, luke kanies, open source, puppet, ubuntu Post by Rob Spectre. Filed under Technology. In the graveyard that constituted the 2008 LinuxWorld Expo in San Francisco, real news was scarce. ...

  1. NEWS Puppet Developer Considers Bailing on GPL

    http://www.dreamnotoftoday.com/?p=893

    ------
    Puppet Developer Considers Bailing on GPL

    Tags: gpl, linuxworld, luke kanies, open source, puppet, ubuntu
    Post by Rob Spectre. Filed under Technology.

    In the graveyard that constituted the 2008 LinuxWorld Expo in San
    Francisco, real news was scarce. The open source conference notoriously
    swallowed by commercial interests served for many geeks as little more
    than an unwelcome sales pitch than a technical gathering of FOSS
    enthusiasts. The buzz in the hallways and aisles of the expo rarely
    touched on a new release or remarkable demonstration, but rather
    begrudged the conspicuous absence of deep dish technical presentations
    and involvement from community heavyweights (Red Hat and MySQL both
    notably absent). “LinuxWorld is dead,” said many, abandoning hopes of
    catching any hot news or controversy.

    So when Luke Kanies announced he was giving strong consideration to
    jerking his configuration management project Puppet from the GNU Public
    License, the vendor weary dozen in the audience shook slowly from its
    marketing induced trance. With Puppet’s exploding popularity among
    system administrators globally, the license change would represent yet
    another high profile departure from GPLv2. Kanies made the bombshell
    announcement of the project’s active pursuit of a “BSD-style license” as
    a reaction to a growing set of customers for whom the license represents
    a barrier of entry.

    “We have several potentially big customers say they won’t use Puppet
    because of the GPL,” said Kanies. “However, they have said that they
    would work with us if we had a BSD-style license.” Kanies added, “Plus
    I wouldn’t mind pissing off Stallman.”

    When pressed for details on the seriousness of the project’s effort to
    move from the GPL, Kanies flatly denied commercial gain as a principal
    motivation, but rather a growing frustration with the license’s
    philosophy and practical application.

    “We don’t have any customers who say they wouldn’t work with us if we
    were BSD instead of GPL. We do have many who say they wouldn’t if we
    were GPL instead of BSD. For us, we would prefer for a license to be
    less controversial, not more.”

    Kanies further described a recent encounter with Richard M. Stallman at
    MIT. Kanies alleged that much of the disillusionment with the license
    came from the incident, which Kanies said involved Stallman screaming
    and spitting in his face over his use of the phrase “open source.”

    Kanies indicated that the project was “researching” an appropriate
    license and offered no timetable on when Puppet might switch.

    » You can leave a comment, or trackback from your own site.

    Testosterone and Ballet Distilled - Rob Spectre, 26 March 2008
    Filesystem Lock - Rob Spectre, 29 June 2007
    Sex, Murder and Journaling Filesystems - Rob Spectre, 28 April 2008

    One Comment

    Gary F. Says:

    August 8th, 2008 at 10:12am

    Kanies added, “Plus I wouldn’t mind pissing off Stallman.”

    I can wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. As an occasional
    OpenSource contributer and a former member of the XEmacs dev team, I’ve
    dealt with Stallman before when he wanted some of the stuff I
    contributed to XEmacs as part of FSF/GNU Emacs. I can say that the man
    is definitely unpleasant to deal with, intractable, hypocritical and an
    all around douchebag. The opportunity to piss RMS off is oftentimes a
    driving force in the decisionmaking process more times than people will
    admit.

    Leave a Comment
    ------

    regards,
    alexander.

    --
    http://gng.z505.com/index.htm
    too, whereas GNU cannot.)

  2. Re: NEWS Puppet Developer Considers Bailing on GPL

    On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 16:29:39 +0200, Alexander Terekhov wrote:

> [...]
    >
    > Testosterone and Ballet Distilled - Rob Spectre, 26 March 2008
    > Filesystem Lock - Rob Spectre, 29 June 2007
    > Sex, Murder and Journaling Filesystems - Rob Spectre, 28 April 2008
    >

    > One Comment
    >
    > Gary F. Says:
    >
    > August 8th, 2008 at 10:12am
    >
    > Kanies added, “Plus I wouldn’t mind pissing off Stallman.”
    >
    > I can wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. As an occasional
    > OpenSource contributer and a former member of the XEmacs dev team, I’ve
    > dealt with Stallman before when he wanted some of the stuff I
    > contributed to XEmacs as part of FSF/GNU Emacs. I can say that the man
    > is definitely unpleasant to deal with, intractable, hypocritical and an
    > all around douchebag. The opportunity to piss RMS off is oftentimes a
    > driving force in the decisionmaking process more times than people will

    Now how on earth did Roy Schestowitz miss that?
    Hmmmm...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: NEWS Puppet Developer Considers Bailing on GPL

    On 2008-08-09, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> So when Luke Kanies announced he was giving strong consideration to
    >> jerking his configuration management project Puppet from the GNU Public
    >> License, the vendor weary dozen in the audience shook slowly from its
    >> marketing induced trance. With Puppet’s exploding popularity among
    >> system administrators globally, the license change would represent yet
    >> another high profile departure from GPLv2. Kanies made the bombshell
    >> announcement of the project’s active pursuit of a “BSD-style license” as
    >> a reaction to a growing set of customers for whom the license represents
    >> a barrier of entry.

    I release everything under the GPL. So I may be biased. But I cannot
    see what is the big anti-open-source story is here. Kanies is changing
    a free license for another free license (that is not as good in my
    opinion). He is not taking it to be closed source.

  4. Re: NEWS Puppet Developer Considers Bailing on GPL

    Alexander Terekhov wrote:

    > http://www.dreamnotoftoday.com/?p=893
    >
    > ------
    > Puppet Developer Considers Bailing on GPL
    >
    > Tags: gpl, linuxworld, luke kanies, open source, puppet, ubuntu
    > Post by Rob Spectre. Filed under Technology.
    >
    > In the graveyard that constituted the 2008 LinuxWorld Expo in San
    > Francisco, real news was scarce. The open source conference notoriously
    > swallowed by commercial interests served for many geeks as little more
    > than an unwelcome sales pitch than a technical gathering of FOSS
    > enthusiasts. The buzz in the hallways and aisles of the expo rarely
    > touched on a new release or remarkable demonstration, but rather
    > begrudged the conspicuous absence of deep dish technical presentations
    > and involvement from community heavyweights (Red Hat and MySQL both
    > notably absent). “LinuxWorld is dead,” said many, abandoning hopes of
    > catching any hot news or controversy.
    >
    > So when Luke Kanies announced he was giving strong consideration to
    > jerking his configuration management project Puppet from the GNU Public
    > License...

    No problem... take what is in GPL and fork it...

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  5. Re: NEWS Puppet Developer Considers Bailing on GPL

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:29:21 -0500, Ignoramus6985 wrote:

    >>> Kanies made the bombshell
    >>> announcement of the project’s active pursuit of a “BSD-style
    >>> license”
    >>> as a reaction to a growing set of customers for whom the license
    >>> represents a barrier of entry.

    > I release everything under the GPL. So I may be biased. But I cannot see
    > what is the big anti-open-source story is here. Kanies is changing a
    > free license for another free license (that is not as good in my
    > opinion). He is not taking it to be closed source.

    His *customers* will, essentially, take it closed source. Furthermore,
    his "customers" won't even need to pay him. I don't see how it's a win
    for him, but it's not my business.

    -Thufir

  6. Re: NEWS Puppet Developer Considers Bailing on GPL

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.advocacy.]
    thufir espoused:

    >> I release everything under the GPL. So I may be biased. But I cannot see
    >> what is the big anti-open-source story is here. Kanies is changing a
    >> free license for another free license (that is not as good in my
    >> opinion). He is not taking it to be closed source.

    > His *customers* will, essentially, take it closed source. Furthermore,
    > his "customers" won't even need to pay him. I don't see how it's a win
    > for him, but it's not my business.

    No doubt they'll tell him to "fork off". Allowing others to take your
    work for free with no requirement to contribute back does seem to be
    more than a little, well, short-sighted.

    You'd need an amazingly naive view of people to think that they'll be
    grateful to you in any commercially viable way.

    Still, time will tell.

  7. Re: NEWS Puppet Developer Considers Bailing on GPL

    On 2008-08-11, Mark Kent wrote:
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.advocacy.]
    > thufir espoused:

    >>> I release everything under the GPL. So I may be biased. But I cannot see
    >>> what is the big anti-open-source story is here. Kanies is changing a
    >>> free license for another free license (that is not as good in my
    >>> opinion). He is not taking it to be closed source.

    >> His *customers* will, essentially, take it closed source. Furthermore,
    >> his "customers" won't even need to pay him. I don't see how it's a win
    >> for him, but it's not my business.
    >>

    > No doubt they'll tell him to "fork off". Allowing others to take your
    > work for free with no requirement to contribute back does seem to be
    > more than a little, well, short-sighted.
    >
    > You'd need an amazingly naive view of people to think that they'll be
    > grateful to you in any commercially viable way.
    >
    > Still, time will tell.

    I think that it is not a big deal for a project such as his.

    How did Apple contribute to the *BSD community?