CompTIA Breakaway: Open Source Misses Big Opportunity

,----[ Quote ]
| CompTIA Breakaway, held in Orlando, Florida, this week, was a successful
| conference for hundreds of VARs and managed service providers. Foolishly,
| open source companies that need channel strategies skipped the show. Here’s
| why The VAR Guy was alarmed.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/08/06/...#comment-77547

Microsoft creates open-source lab in RP

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is now preaching interoperability, announcing it will open its
| first open-source lab in Asia Pacific in the country.
|
| [...]
|
| An upcoming update to Microsoft Office, for example, will enable support for
| the Open Document Format (ODF), which rivals Microsoft's Open Office XML.
|
| Abet Dela Cruz, Microsoft Philippines platform strategy manager, said
| Microsoft now recognizes open source as a "first class" citizen, alluding to
| the movement's growth and adoption.
|
| To support this claim, he noted SourceForge, an online repository of
| applications built by the open source community. Out of 147,000 projects, he
| said 77,000 of these applications run on the Windows platform, which far
| outnumbers those built for Windows alone.
`----

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakin...urce-lab-in-RP

Microsoft wants FOSS to just run on Windows.

Recent:

Embrace the Reality and Logic of Choice

,----[ Quote ]
| Another neo-colonialist press release from Microsoft's CompTIA lobbying arm,
| this time inveighing against South Africa's adoption of ODF as a national
| standard. One way to point out the absurdity of their logic is to replace the
| reference to ODF with references to any other useful standard that a
| government might adopt, like electrical standards. * *
`----

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2008/04/...of-choice.html

Multiple Standards according to ECMA

,----[ Quote ]
| On a Microsoft event in Portugal, called TechDays 2008, ex-ECMA and now
| CompTIA (Microsoft lobbyst group) member, Jan van den Beld explains how
| multiple standards come to be on ECMA *
|
| [...]
|
| What does Jan van den Beld - former Secretary General of ECMA - have to say
| about multiple standards? He seems to be puzzled himself!
|
| Quote from his presentation:
|
| Q: Why do you want to have 5 [DVD related] formats? Do you still call that
| standardization?
| A: You are well paid. Shut up
|
| Check out the video at 4:10 and amaze yourself!
|
| This was on Microsoft Techdays 2008, in Portugal.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-49659...ording-to-ecma

The commercial value of ISO privileged access

,----[ Quote ]
| Jan van den Beld 'sents love letters' to the ISO system and leaches out
| against parties who want to appeal.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-50865...vileged-access

Return of the Living Dead - Brainless Attack on MoSTI - Part Deux!!!

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008...-of-the-l.html