CompTIA Breakaway: Open Source Misses Big Opportunity

,----[ Quote ]
| CompTIA Breakaway, held in Orlando, Florida, this week, was a successful
| conference for hundreds of VARs and managed service providers. Foolishly,
| open source companies that need channel strategies skipped the show. Here’s
| why The VAR Guy was alarmed.

Microsoft creates open-source lab in RP

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is now preaching interoperability, announcing it will open its
| first open-source lab in Asia Pacific in the country.
| [...]
| An upcoming update to Microsoft Office, for example, will enable support for
| the Open Document Format (ODF), which rivals Microsoft's Open Office XML.
| Abet Dela Cruz, Microsoft Philippines platform strategy manager, said
| Microsoft now recognizes open source as a "first class" citizen, alluding to
| the movement's growth and adoption.
| To support this claim, he noted SourceForge, an online repository of
| applications built by the open source community. Out of 147,000 projects, he
| said 77,000 of these applications run on the Windows platform, which far
| outnumbers those built for Windows alone.

Microsoft wants FOSS to just run on Windows.

Embrace the Reality and Logic of Choice

,----[ Quote ]
| Another neo-colonialist press release from Microsoft's CompTIA lobbying arm,
| this time inveighing against South Africa's adoption of ODF as a national
| standard. One way to point out the absurdity of their logic is to replace the
| reference to ODF with references to any other useful standard that a
| government might adopt, like electrical standards. * *

Multiple Standards according to ECMA

,----[ Quote ]
| On a Microsoft event in Portugal, called TechDays 2008, ex-ECMA and now
| CompTIA (Microsoft lobbyst group) member, Jan van den Beld explains how
| multiple standards come to be on ECMA *
| [...]
| What does Jan van den Beld - former Secretary General of ECMA - have to say
| about multiple standards? He seems to be puzzled himself!
| Quote from his presentation:
| Q: Why do you want to have 5 [DVD related] formats? Do you still call that
| standardization?
| A: You are well paid. Shut up
| Check out the video at 4:10 and amaze yourself!
| This was on Microsoft Techdays 2008, in Portugal.

The commercial value of ISO privileged access

,----[ Quote ]
| Jan van den Beld 'sents love letters' to the ISO system and leaches out
| against parties who want to appeal.

Return of the Living Dead - Brainless Attack on MoSTI - Part Deux!!!

,----[ Quote ]
| I dont know what the attraction is, but somehow we all love the morbid
| fascination of Zombies in action. First, Microsoft^H^H^H^H^HCompTIA hires Mr
| Jan van der Beld, Ex-Ecma Secretary General, to fly all the way here in KL,
| for an event supposedly about "good multiple standards". *There he challenges
| us to find a better way to Fast Track large, immature vendor dependent
| specifications. The answer is of course: "Don't do it." Later on that same
| day, like a man possessed, he turns up at a PIKOM meeting only to rant and
| thump tables. * * *
| Then today, in our fantastic broadsheet turned tabloid "The New Straits
| Times" features a "Comment" by our so called "cooler head" Datuk Dr Mohd
| Ariffin Aton entitled "Walking the Talk on neutrality policy". If you've
| forgotten about him, you may be forgiven, but he is or rather WAS the CEO if
| SIRIM Bhd. * *

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)