[News] GNU/Linux is Big in the Datacentres, Trends Favour Linux - Linux

  1. Re: [News] GNU/Linux is Big in the Datacentres, Trends Favour Linux

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 20:55:25 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Outsider No More: Linux Critical In Many Data Centers
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| In a sign of how much Linux has become a core element in many corporate data
    >| centers, many of the new products making their debut at this week's
    >| LinuxWorld show focus on such critical IT operations as data integration,
    >| disaster recovery and security management.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.crn.com/software/209904081

    This is true.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. [News] GNU/Linux is Big in the Datacentres, Trends Favour Linux

    Outsider No More: Linux Critical In Many Data Centers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In a sign of how much Linux has become a core element in many corporate data
    | centers, many of the new products making their debut at this week's
    | LinuxWorld show focus on such critical IT operations as data integration,
    | disaster recovery and security management.
    `----

    http://www.crn.com/software/209904081

    Energy costs and data center complexity creating 'perfect storm,' says Avocent
    exec

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In a preview of the LinuxWorld Conference & Expo presentation "Managing the
    | Merge of Facilities and IT," C.C. Fridlin, the vice president of data center
    | product management at Huntsville, Ala.-based Avocent Corp., said that the
    | rising cost of power alters the value of assets so dramatically that IT and
    | facilities staff need to collaborate to make the best choices in building,
    | equipping and operating data centers. Perhaps even a data center architect is
    | needed, he said.
    `----

    http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...323735,00.html

    Recent:

    Fight The Power: Greening Your Linux Systems

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux has a lot of advantages as a desktop operating system. Power
    | management, unfortunately, still is not one of them. But there are plenty of
    | ways to make a Linux system less power-hungry -- and some of the most
    | effective fixes are also some of the easiest. *
    `----

    http://www.bmighty.com/blog/main/arc...the_power.html

    Linux is greener than Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Hear, hear. Linux runs just fine on existing desktop hardware, even on PCs
    | that are several years old now. Give it a 1.5Ghz processor and 512MB of RAM,
    | and Linux is more than adequate to support business tasks. No screaming 3Ghz
    | CPU or 2GB of RAM are needed to run Linux, in contrast to the additional
    | resources demanded to run Microsoft's deplorable Windows Vista.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ernative-vista

    Build a 14.5 watt data center in a shoebox

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The unit runs the SSD Linux operating system, which straps NetBSD userland
    | functions onto the Linux kernel.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...l_data_center/

    OS Roundup: Apple, Out of Touch With Server Room Needs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So where does that leave Apple's server OS? In the nine years since its
    | launch, it's gone precisely nowhere, and with Unix server spending declining
    | in the first part of the year, according to IDC, it doesn't exactly look like
    | sales are going to explode any time soon. Where will Apple be devoting its
    | attention over the next year or two then: Developing its server OS or making
    | more toys for the boys (and girls)? That's a tough one. Not.
    |
    | Lest you think I am just another mindless Apple basher, I'll proudly admit to
    | having an iPod Touch, a black Classic, white fourth- and third-gen models, a
    | silver Nano, and three Shuffles (one lost) in a variety of colors. But would
    | I put an Apple Server in my business? Not a chance.
    `----

    http://www.serverwatch.com/eur/article.php/3762196

    How to Deploy Linux From the Data Center to the Desktop

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Rising demand for IT from government agencies in the Indian state of Tamil
    | Nadu was putting pressure on the state's technology budget. The solution? An
    | enterprisewide shift to Linux from the data center to the desktop. *
    `----

    http://www.cio.com/article/179250/Ho...to_the_Desktop

+ Reply to Thread