Ubuntu gets into unified comms, chides Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical has signed an agreement with Unison Technologies to offer a
| complete unified communications suite for small to medium-sized firms running
| Ubuntu Linux.

Zimbra officially embraced by Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Zimbra, the open-source e-mail software that Yahoo acquired for $350 million
| last year, is officially coming to Ubuntu Linux.

Canonical to Offer Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop Through Ubuntu(R) Partner Repository

,----[ Quote ]
| Zimbra has announced that Canonical, sponsors of Ubuntu, the fastest growing
| Linux distribution, will give users direct access to Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop,
| which provides a centralized hub to manage multiple e-mail accounts and
| calendars online and offline, through the Ubuntu Partner Repository. Zimbra,
| a Yahoo! (Nasdaq:YHOO) company, is a leader in open source, next-generation
| messaging and collaboration software.

Testdriving Zimbra Desktop Mail for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Ever since Yahoo acquired Zimbra, a lot of us were waiting for the next big
| thing in desktop emailing. Recently, Yahoo launched Zimbra desktop, an open
| source email client which aims to increase your productivity by integrating
| an email client, calendar, task list, contact manager and a briefcase, all in
| one slick and easy package.
| It's time to see how well it fares with my current favorite - Thunderbird.

Zimbra Releases Version 3 Of Open Source Email Client, And It’s Awesome

,----[ Quote ]
| Zimbra Desktop, which is built on Mozilla Prism, is available for Windows,
| Mac and linux machines. It weighs in at 40 MB, about double the size of
| Thunderbird. The product promises the robust features of Outlook, which are
| lacking in Outlook Express and Thunderbird. Users can access Yahoo mail
| accounts, Zimbra accounts, or any Pop/IMAP supported email boxes. Zimbra
| Desktop also includes a calendar, contact list and other features.

Open-Xchange lures Zimbra users

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks like Microsoft's proposed Yahoo acquisition is already attracting
| its share of buzzards: Open-Xchange, a prominent open source competitor to *
| Microsoft Exchange, is looking to lure customers of Yahoo subsidiary Zimbra
| with an offer of steep discounts. *

Zimbra's new Desktop: Look ma, no browser!

,----[ Quote ]
| How did Zimbra do this? With Prism, which is a Mozilla project that basically
| lets applications borrow a tightly integrated, stripped-down version of the
| Firefox browser to run as standalone applications. This gives them all of the
| benefits of the browser (and the Web) without the browser artifacts. It's a
| match made in heaven.

Zimbra: a Hidden Facet of Yahoo!'s Value

,----[ Quote ]
| This means competition authorities will view Microsoft's potential take-over
| of Yahoo! in a different -- the appropriate -- light as an anti-competitive
| absorption of its chief e-mail competitor. *
| Yahoo! will do what it takes to avoid acquisition by Microsoft. Roy is
| working on it.

Yahoo! to boost collaboration offerings with Zimbra

,----[ Quote ]
| The move reflects the belief among major players that collaboration
| represents a massive growth market. In March this year, Cisco paid $US3.2b
| for WebEx, a market leader in on-demand collaboration applications. *

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)