[News] Java Rules, FOSS Programming Rises, Microsoft Nowhere - Linux

  1. [News] Java Rules, FOSS Programming Rises, Microsoft Nowhere

    Study: Java still top programming language

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Java has its detractors, but according to a recent reading of the Tiobe
    | Programming Community Index, it's still the dominant programming language,
    | with little change in its overall popularity since August 2007. Runners up?
    | C, (Visual) Basic, C++, and PHP.
    `----

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10009669-16.html

    Recent:

    Linux Development Thriving

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There was a time when developers were clamouring all over Microsoft, but
    | latest figures from Evans Data shows that fewer than one in ten software
    | developers are writing applications for Windows Vista this year – just eight
    | percent. To rub salt in the wound, the data shows that 49 percent of
    | developers are writing applications for Windows XP.
    |
    | Linux is also thriving it would seem. 13 percent are writing applications,
    | with 15.5 percent in 2009.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Unfortunately for Microsoft, that probably means re-investing in XP and
    | dumping Vista like an unwanted prom date.
    `----

    http://www.linuxsolutions.fr/linux-d...ment-thriving/

    Vista's big problem: 92 percent of developers ignoring it

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Such appreciation for history is not likely to warm the ****les of
    | Microsoft's heart, especially when Linux is getting lots of love from
    | developers (13 percent writing apps for it this year and 15.5 percent in
    | 2009).
    `----

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9969231-16.html

    Coders Tell Why They're Avoiding Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft Corp. undoubtedly wanted to avoid its current predicament. It has
    | been publicly talking up features in Vista since 2003 -- half a decade.
    |
    | But such "overmarketing," as Krasowski calls it, can rebound. Experienced
    | developers have become jaded towards the third-party apps Microsoft trots out
    | as exemplars of Redmond's latest technology -- "demoware," he calls them --
    | that sparkle with flashy animation and video.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...ing_vista.html

    Mobile Developers Still Favor .Net and Java, But The Popularity Of Linux And
    Android Is Growing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Still, it's worth noting that Linux, Android and Mac OS are all on the rise
    | despite the fact that they are either still coming to market, or have
    | relatively small market share.
    `----

    http://tinyurl.com/5sppl4

    Related:

    Holy Crap: Did Bill Gates Just Say Windows Sucks?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | We asked a simple question: what Microsoft product could have used a little
    | more polish before release? The answer astounded us. We would just like to
    | thank Bill Gates for his honesty and his openness.
    `----

    http://gizmodo.com/342920/holy-crap-...-windows-sucks

  2. Re: Java Rules, FOSS Programming Rises, Microsoft Nowhere

    On Aug 7, 4:47*pm, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> [...]
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...ders_tell_why_...
    >
    > Mobile Developers Still Favor .Net and Java, But The Popularity Of Linux And
    > Android Is Growing
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Still, it's worth noting that Linux, Android and Mac OS are all on the rise
    > | despite the fact that they are either still coming to market, or have
    > | relatively small market share.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...url.com/5sppl4
    >
    > Related:
    >
    > Holy Crap: Did Bill Gates Just Say Windows Sucks?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | We asked a simple question: what Microsoft product could have used a little
    > | more polish before release? The answer astounded us. We would just liketo
    > | thank Bill Gates for his honesty and his openness.

    Java takes a lot of time to learn. It is like Cobol used to be.
    You can get PHP programmers from india for $8 hour.
    If you want some with mvc experience, they are $12 an hour.
    PHP is easy to do, fast to learn, works great with javascript, and
    installed everywhere.

    People are dying for JSP struts and spring geeks.
    But they are a pain do and learn.

    Usually, you can do a ROR project in 1/2 the time,
    and the programmers don't walk all over themselves.

    Or a little longer in Cake PHP.

    Python is another beast, all together.

    PHP is just fast to do and get going.
    hard to beat. Yes you