New Users Don't have a Prayer with Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on New Users Don't have a Prayer with Linux - Linux ; All this linux stuff is NEW to a new user. The user has no clue what is what. Like, right, install using / as main, and /home on another partition. Wait, and /mnt or /var, and other things. What is ...

  1. New Users Don't have a Prayer with Linux

    All this linux stuff is NEW to a new user. The user has no clue what
    is what.
    Like, right, install using / as main, and /home on another partition.
    Wait, and /mnt or /var, and other things. What is an ISO again?
    And you all think new users are going to get this?

    Right, pages and pages, online, of how to correct this or that.

    HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    It is all new to a person. They lucky to get the distro's names
    sorted out:
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________

    And finally, and this one may seem bloody foolish, but it happens
    sometimes to folks who are new to the whole endeavour, and should be
    treated with some grace. Ubuntu is not Kubuntu. Ubuntu relies on
    Gnome desktop and instructions for post-installation configurations
    are not the same as in Kubuntu, which relies on KDE desktop. This is
    more of an after install enhancement/correction issue, but it has come
    up and I wanted to include it for the rare situation where someone
    misunderstands the labelling.

  2. Re: New Users Don't have a Prayer with Linux

    "Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote in message
    > All this linux stuff is NEW to a new user. The user has no clue what
    > is what.
    > Like, right, install using / as main, and /home on another partition.
    > Wait, and /mnt or /var, and other things. What is an ISO again?
    > And you all think new users are going to get this?
    >
    > Right, pages and pages, online, of how to correct this or that.
    >
    > HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    >
    > It is all new to a person. They lucky to get the distro's names
    > sorted out:
    > __________________________________________________ ______________________________
    >
    > And finally, and this one may seem bloody foolish, but it happens
    > sometimes to folks who are new to the whole endeavour, and should be
    > treated with some grace. Ubuntu is not Kubuntu. Ubuntu relies on
    > Gnome desktop and instructions for post-installation configurations
    > are not the same as in Kubuntu, which relies on KDE desktop. This is
    > more of an after install enhancement/correction issue, but it has come
    > up and I wanted to include it for the rare situation where someone
    > misunderstands the labelling.

    > HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    I can see somebody's off his meds. He's got a point
    there and I hope he can get his head back together and
    promote it.

    Titeotwawki -- mha [cola 2008 Aug 07]

  3. Re: New Users Don't have a Prayer with Linux

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 05:15:44 -0700, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:

    .... nothing worth reading.

    --
    Rick

  4. Re: New Users Don't have a Prayer with Linux

    On 2008-08-07, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    > All this linux stuff is NEW to a new user. The user has no clue what
    > is what.
    > Like, right, install using / as main, and /home on another partition.
    > Wait, and /mnt or /var, and other things. What is an ISO again?

    ....all invisible to the end user unless you want it to be otherwise.

    Like I said... you wanna back your data up, plug in a USB drive
    and copy everything that you see in "Home Folder" to it.

    That can break down when you do "more interesting things". Although
    the sort of user you're whining about is not going to be doing the
    sorts of obscure things you would throw up.

    > And you all think new users are going to get this?
    >
    > Right, pages and pages, online, of how to correct this or that.

    ....you can dredge the same crap up for Windows. Big deal.

    [deletia]

    --
    On the subject of kilobyte being "redefined" to mean 1000 bytes...

    When I was a wee lad, I was taught that SI units were |||
    meant to be computationally convenient rather than just / | \
    arbitrarily assigned.