Big problem for linux: Unfriendly Guru's - Linux

This is a discussion on Big problem for linux: Unfriendly Guru's - Linux ; Boy, this article hits the nail on the head....... http://www.cooltechzone.com/Reviews/...00503011052/2/ 6. Unfriendly Gurus: If there is one thing that people hate, it's being condescended to. Unfortunately, this was a common occurrence on many Linux message boards and help resources. People ...

  1. Big problem for linux: Unfriendly Guru's

    Boy, this article hits the nail on the head.......

    http://www.cooltechzone.com/Reviews/...00503011052/2/

    6. Unfriendly Gurus: If there is one thing that people hate, it's
    being condescended to. Unfortunately, this was a common occurrence on
    many Linux message boards and help resources. People saying things
    like "READ THE MANUAL, YOU MORON" usually doesn’t send the positive
    message to the learner. While the idea is correct, the form of
    expression is not well thought out. If, on the other hand, someone had
    politely pointed out that the solution could be found in such and such
    a place, the new users might actually have looked. A response like
    this will only lead the user right back to Windows. Think of it like
    this. If you go to a lawyer with a problem, and he smirks at you and
    tells you to go read the Marbury vs. Madison case files, would you go
    back to him? Not a chance. The lawyer analogy may not be entirely
    accurate since he is getting paid, but this does not mean that only
    paid service is polite service. The times, however, are changing. In
    the past few months, the tone and tenor of very many message boards
    have become much softer. This is in no small part due to the barrage
    of new users who have entered en mass. While the Linux gurus may moan
    and groan about the commercialization of their ideals, the fact
    remains that Joe Six-pack couldn't care less about the ideals of the
    FSF. And he should not be expected to, not at first. Later on, when he
    has appreciated the virtues of Linux, he may feel like learning about
    the principles the community is built upon. Don't patronize him and
    scare him away in the beginning, and he may well turn out to be an
    ardent Linux evangelist.

  2. Re: Big problem for linux: Unfriendly Guru's

    On 2008-08-07, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    > Boy, this article hits the nail on the head.......
    >
    > http://www.cooltechzone.com/Reviews/...00503011052/2/
    >
    > 6. Unfriendly Gurus: If there is one thing that people hate, it's
    > being condescended to. Unfortunately, this was a common occurrence on
    > many Linux message boards and help resources. People saying things
    > like "READ THE MANUAL, YOU MORON" usually doesn?t send the positive

    Doesn't happen.

    Trolls don't count.

    [deletia]

    Like any other support apparatus, you are only going to only get
    anywhere if you are cooperative with people providing support and
    show some sincerity.

    --
    On the subject of kilobyte being "redefined" to mean 1000 bytes...

    When I was a wee lad, I was taught that SI units were |||
    meant to be computationally convenient rather than just / | \
    arbitrarily assigned.

  3. Re: Big problem for linux: Unfriendly Guru's

    On Aug 7, 7:49*am, "Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote:
    > Boy, this article hits the nail on *the head.......
    >
    > http://www.cooltechzone.com/Reviews/...s/Current_Prob...
    >
    > 6. Unfriendly Gurus: If there is one thing that people hate, it's
    > being condescended to. Unfortunately, this was a common occurrence on
    > many Linux message boards and help resources. People saying things
    > like "READ THE MANUAL, YOU MORON" usually doesn’t send the positive
    > message to the learner. While the idea is correct, the form of
    > expression is not well thought out. If, on the other hand, someone had
    > politely pointed out that the solution could be found in such and such
    > a place, the new users might actually have looked. A response like
    > this will only lead the user right back to Windows. Think of it like
    > this. If you go to a lawyer with a problem, and he smirks at you and
    > tells you to go read the Marbury vs. Madison case files, would you go
    > back to him? Not a chance. The lawyer analogy may not be entirely
    > accurate since he is getting paid, but this does not mean that only
    > paid service is polite service. The times, however, are changing. In
    > the past few months, the tone and tenor of very many message boards
    > have become much softer. This is in no small part due to the barrage
    > of new users who have entered en mass. While the Linux gurus may moan
    > and groan about the commercialization of their ideals, the fact
    > remains that Joe Six-pack couldn't care less about the ideals of the
    > FSF. And he should not be expected to, not at first. Later on, when he
    > has appreciated the virtues of Linux, he may feel like learning about
    > the principles the community is built upon. Don't patronize him and
    > scare him away in the beginning, and he may well turn out to be an
    > ardent Linux evangelist.

    THIS IS COLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    hahahahahhahahahahhahahahaa

  4. Re: Big problem for linux: Unfriendly Guru's

    Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    > On Aug 7, 7:49 am, "Psyc Geek (TAB)"
    > wrote:
    >> Boy, this article hits the nail on the head.......
    >>
    >> http://www.cooltechzone.com/Reviews/...s/Current_Prob...

    You are not authorized to view this resource. You need
    to login.

    >> 6. Unfriendly Gurus: If there is one thing that people hate,
    >> it's being condescended to. Unfortunately, this was a
    >> common occurrence on many Linux message boards and help
    >> resources. People saying things like "READ THE MANUAL, YOU
    >> MORON" usually doesn’t send the positive message to the
    >> learner.

    Okay, like:

    http://tinyurl.com/6m6a8c

    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy, alt.os.linux.ubuntu
    Subject: Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio,
    Fedora Live CDs Interview
    Date: 11 Apr 2008 18:53:55 GMT

    > Dan, you're probably a nice guy, but we get a ton of "works
    > for me" crap in COLA and most times it's just people telling
    > lies.

    Well sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not in COLA. I'm reading
    these posts in the Ubuntu group. The only reason they are going
    to COLA is because whomever started the thread had it crossposted
    there...and to Vista groups, which I removed because this has
    nothing to do with Vista.

    I'm NOT a Linux pusher, I still use Windows most of the time
    since I'd just installed Linux a few weeks ago, maybe a month+
    ago, and still checking out apps and learning Linux. There are
    things I like and things I don't like.

    Believe what you want to believe. It's painfully obvious that you
    are completely anti-Linux, just like some are completely anti-MS,
    and have such strong preconceived beliefs that it doesn't really
    matter what anyone says about any particular Linux item,
    everyone's a liar, and nothing works out-of-the-box.
    .... and:

    http://tinyurl.com/3a24nk

    [quote]
    Hadron wrote:
    > I assume from your inability to understand the simplest of
    > threads that your first language is not English. And for that,
    > I apologise unreservedly for pointing out the holes in your
    > vapid posts.

    Oh, so now we've gone from idiot to racist, excellent advocacy,
    eh Hadron?
    [quote]

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....ed2ba9741ec83?

    or http://tinyurl.com/6flvaj

    [quote]
    Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    > Snit wrote:
    >
    >> You and Tattoo Vampire and Rick and High Plains Thumper and
    >> Thufir are all desperitely trying to prove me wrong.

    > I haven't really tried, but the others have, and succeeded
    > admirably.
    >
    > Oh, and learn to use a spell chekker, t33chur.

    LOLROTF! He is as thick as a brick wall. Here is yur t33chur at
    w3rk:

    http://groups.google.as/group/comp.o...1a25ec47e443b?

    Formatting *matters*. As I have been telling you... and
    you sometimes show some understanding of. Sometimes.
    This is an example of:

    49. Restate the issues to support your preconceptions.
    If the issues being discussed in a thread are not exploitable by
    you for your purpose, restate the issues to support your ability
    to attack Linux Advocate opponent.
    http://groups.google.as/group/comp.o...dfa6472162586?

    >> It counts for a lot. An unprofessional submission is a sure
    >> fire way to get points taken off an otherwise good paper.

    > Not in contention.

    Hence the reason why using OpenOffice when MS Word is the stated
    requirement is unwise... as has been shown it can very well hurt
    your grade.
    This is an example of:

    48. Don't let your ignorance stop you from posting.
    No matter how little you understand of the issues being discussed
    in a thread, post anyway. If you don't know what you are talking
    about just pretend that you do.
    http://groups.google.as/group/comp.o...a990cd1dcbe36?

    > It's a hypothetical. I would use it.

    You would use OpenOffice even though you admit it is not in
    contention that "an unprofessional submission is a sure fire way
    to get points taken off an otherwise good paper" and you have
    been shown that OpenOffice can alter the look of a .DOC file in
    ways that clearly would make it appear you did not take due care
    in formatting your work. Wow.

    http://groups.google.as/group/comp.o...9f721bed59b80?

    > Nor would I say that submitting a PDF or OO document, which
    > formats fine from OO or adobe reader, is unprofessional.

    I do not disagree that you would say many foolish things.
    This is an example of:

    10. Refuse to admit your errors. Never ever admit
    your errors no matter how blatant they are. If you find no way
    out and have to admit that you are wrong, phrase it so that you
    can accuse your opponent of being wrong.
    Here is the underlying reason:

    'Use [...] the Internet, etc. to heighten the impression that the
    enemy is desperate, demoralized, defeated, [...] associated with
    mental deficiency, as in, "he believes in Santa Claus, the Easter
    Bunny". Just keep rubbing it in, via the [...] newsgroups, [...]
    make the complete failure of the competition's technology part of
    the mythology of the computer industry.'

    (reference "Comes vs Microsoft" lawsuit, Microsoft Evangelism
    document, PDF pages 45 & 55 on
    http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf)

    >> Don't patronize him and scare him away in the beginning, and
    >> he may well turn out to be an ardent Linux evangelist.

    > THIS IS COLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahhahahahahhahahahaa

    No. This is what is happening:

    7.1 Disinformation

    If COLA were a physical location like a building where those
    who would advocate the growth of the Linux operating systems and
    the Linux community gather, the anti-Linux propagandists would be
    raiding that building. They would be vandalizing the building,
    painting graffiti on the walls, defecating and urinating on the
    floors and furniture, breaking down the doors, setting fire to
    the building and physically assaulting the resident Linux
    advocates and the visitors who happen to be in the building at
    the time of the raid.

    COLA is not a physical location, so they have had to adapt
    their methods so that they can do an on-line version of what was
    described in the prior paragraph. A key method used by anti-Linux
    propagandist to attack Linux, its users, sysadmins, developers,
    advocates and those who have come to COLA to lean about Linux. is
    a form of propaganda known as disinformation. One of their
    favorite version of disinformation is known as FUD.
    --
    HPT

  5. Re: Big problem for linux: Unfriendly Guru's

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 09:02:30 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > http://tinyurl.com/6m6a8c
    >
    > Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy, alt.os.linux.ubuntu
    > Subject: Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio,

    God you are a bore HPT...

    Don't have anything better to grace the group with than old posts that you
    seem to saving for a rainy day or something?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: Big problem for linux: Unfriendly Guru's

    JEDIDIAH wrote:
    > On 2008-08-07, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    >> Boy, this article hits the nail on the head.......
    >>
    >> http://www.cooltechzone.com/Reviews/...00503011052/2/
    >>
    >> 6. Unfriendly Gurus: If there is one thing that people hate, it's
    >> being condescended to. Unfortunately, this was a common occurrence on
    >> many Linux message boards and help resources. People saying things
    >> like "READ THE MANUAL, YOU MORON" usually doesn?t send the positive

    > Doesn't happen.
    >
    > Trolls don't count.
    >
    > [deletia]
    >
    > Like any other support apparatus, you are only going to only get
    > anywhere if you are cooperative with people providing support and
    > show some sincerity.

    And ask for support in the right place. Only the fuddites are stupid
    enough to suggest cola is some sort of support group.

  7. Re: Big problem for linux: Unfriendly Guru's

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> No. This is what is happening:
    >>
    >> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/

    7.1 Disinformation

    >> If COLA were a physical location like a building where those
    >> who would advocate the growth of the Linux operating
    >> systems and the Linux community gather, the anti-Linux
    >> propagandists would be raiding that building. They would be
    >> vandalizing the building, painting graffiti on the walls,
    >> defecating and urinating on the floors and furniture,
    >> breaking down the doors, setting fire to the building and
    >> physically assaulting the resident Linux advocates and the
    >> visitors who happen to be in the building at the time of the
    >> raid.
    >>
    >> COLA is not a physical location, so they have had to adapt
    >> their methods so that they can do an on-line version of what
    >> was described in the prior paragraph. A key method used by
    >> anti-Linux propagandist to attack Linux, its users,
    >> sysadmins, developers, advocates and those who have come to
    >> COLA to lean about Linux. is a form of propaganda known as
    >> disinformation. One of their favorite version of
    >> disinformation is known as FUD.

    > God you are a bore HPT...
    >
    > Don't have anything better to grace the group with than old
    > posts that you seem to saving for a rainy day or something?

    Doesn't this WinTroll have something important to do, like post
    in comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy?

    --
    HPT

  8. Re: Big problem for linux: Unfriendly Guru's

    High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >>
    >>> No. This is what is happening:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/

    7.1 Disinformation

    >>> If COLA were a physical location like a building where those
    >>> who would advocate the growth of the Linux operating
    >>> systems and the Linux community gather, the anti-Linux
    >>> propagandists would be raiding that building. They would be
    >>> vandalizing the building, painting graffiti on the walls,
    >>> defecating and urinating on the floors and furniture,
    >>> breaking down the doors, setting fire to the building and
    >>> physically assaulting the resident Linux advocates and the
    >>> visitors who happen to be in the building at the time of the
    >>> raid.
    >>>
    >>> COLA is not a physical location, so they have had to adapt their
    >>> methods so that they can do an on-line version of what
    >>> was described in the prior paragraph. A key method used by anti-Linux
    >>> propagandist to attack Linux, its users, sysadmins, developers,
    >>> advocates and those who have come to COLA to lean about Linux. is a
    >>> form of propaganda known as disinformation. One of their favorite
    >>> version of disinformation is known as FUD.

    >> God you are a bore HPT...
    >>
    >> Don't have anything better to grace the group with than old
    >> posts that you seem to saving for a rainy day or something?

    > Doesn't this WinTroll have something important to do, like post in
    > comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy?

    You'd think so wouldn't you but no, apparently this is the place for M$
    bum-boys to hang out.

  9. Re: Big problem for linux: Unfriendly Guru's

    Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    > JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >> On 2008-08-07, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    >>> Boy, this article hits the nail on the head.......

    http://www.cooltechzone.com/Reviews/...00503011052/2/

    >>> 6. Unfriendly Gurus: If there is one thing that people hate, it's
    >>> being condescended to. Unfortunately, this was a common occurrence on
    >>> many Linux message boards and help resources. People saying things
    >>> like "READ THE MANUAL, YOU MORON" usually doesn?t send the positive

    >> Doesn't happen.
    >>
    >> Trolls don't count.
    >>
    >> [deletia]
    >>
    >> Like any other support apparatus, you are only going to only get
    >> anywhere if you are cooperative with people providing support and
    >> show some sincerity.
    >>

    > And ask for support in the right place. Only the fuddites are stupid
    > enough to suggest cola is some sort of support group.

    Although if someone genuinely ask for help, he will get it.
    Only problem is: The resident assholes (flatfish, Hadron Quark, DFS and
    other assorted filth) will try to throw monkey wrenches in. Flatfish
    especially is known to try to derail such questions in support groups
    --
    Windows: Because everyone needs a good laugh!

  10. Re: Big problem for linux: Unfriendly Guru's

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 09:02:30 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >

    >> http://tinyurl.com/6m6a8c
    >>
    >> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy, alt.os.linux.ubuntu
    >> Subject: Re: [News] Red Hat Developer's Update on PulseAudio,

    > God you are a bore HPT...
    >
    > Don't have anything better to grace the group with than old posts that you
    > seem to saving for a rainy day or something?

    It's ok when you do it but no-one else can?
    OOo, hypocrisy in action.

    How many times have you reposted the "I cut off my genitals" (and similar
    crap) from fake roy now? 5? 6?

    I love it how they constantly cry foul/hypocrit/liar all the time and pull
    **** like this.

    Unlike YOUR reposts of "old articles which you save for a rainy day", these
    ones were at least GENUINE.
    | in |good to you so far... |