Why is it... - Linux

This is a discussion on Why is it... - Linux ; ....that the Linux version of the Eee PC 1000 costs $150 more than the Windows XP version? Is this the free market at work, or is the market being rigged? How much does Microsoft pay Asus to sandbag Linux? Charlie...

  1. Why is it...

    ....that the Linux version of the Eee PC 1000 costs $150 more than the
    Windows XP version?

    Is this the free market at work, or is the market being rigged?

    How much does Microsoft pay Asus to sandbag Linux?

    Charlie

  2. Re: Why is it...

    On Aug 6, 10:16*pm, Charlie Wilkes
    wrote:
    > ...that the Linux version of the Eee PC 1000 costs $150 more than the
    > Windows XP version?
    >
    > Is this the free market at work, or is the market being rigged?
    >
    > How much does Microsoft pay Asus to sandbag Linux?
    >
    > Charlie

    They had to filter a return and restocking factor,
    to allow for the high perfect of linux returns.

  3. Re: Why is it...

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 21:16:49 -0500, Charlie Wilkes wrote:

    > ...that the Linux version of the Eee PC 1000 costs $150 more than the
    > Windows XP version?
    >
    > Is this the free market at work, or is the market being rigged?
    >
    > How much does Microsoft pay Asus to sandbag Linux?
    >
    > Charlie

    For the same reason stock Dell machines sold by Emporer Linux cost far more
    than the same machines sold by Dell, with Windows Vista on them BTW.

    Support costs....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: Why is it...

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 21:16:49 -0500, Charlie Wilkes wrote:
    >...that the Linux version of the Eee PC 1000 costs $150 more than the
    >Windows XP version?

    >Is this the free market at work, or is the market being rigged?

    >How much does Microsoft pay Asus to sandbag Linux?

    Are you comparing the same version?
    The XP and linux versions w/ 1G ram, and a 40G solid state drive both
    go for just under $700.

    Perhaps you saw the XP version with the 80G mechanical hard drive
    selling for $550?

  5. Re: Why is it...

    Charlie Wilkes wrote:

    > ...that the Linux version of the Eee PC 1000 costs $150 more than the
    > Windows XP version?
    >
    > Is this the free market at work, or is the market being rigged?
    >
    > How much does Microsoft pay Asus to sandbag Linux?

    One very big difference. The Linux version has a 40 Gig solid state "hard
    drive" whereas the XP version has a standard 80 Gig hard drive.

    If you don't want the "instant on" feature go for the XP version and load
    your own Linux.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  6. Re: Why is it...

    wrote:

    >...that the Linux version of the Eee PC 1000 costs $150 more than the
    >Windows XP version?

    Because it's a limited-edition collector item?

  7. Re: Why is it...

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 05:54:06 +0200, OK wrote:

    > On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 21:16:49 -0500, Charlie Wilkes
    > wrote:
    >
    >>...that the Linux version of the Eee PC 1000 costs $150 more than the
    >>Windows XP version?

    > Because it's a limited-edition collector item?

    Yea.....
    Seeing as they will probably sell about 10 of these things, better get
    yours now!

    Think Ebay in 15 years....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: Why is it...

    OK wrote:

    > On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 21:16:49 -0500, Charlie Wilkes
    > wrote:
    >
    >>...that the Linux version of the Eee PC 1000 costs $150 more than the
    >>Windows XP version?

    > Because it's a limited-edition collector item?

    Two models. One with the solid state hard drive, one with a regular hard
    drive. Apparently you can get XP or Linux in either configuration. The
    solid state hard drive model costs $150 more for both.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  9. Re: Why is it...

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 21:41:04 -0500, RonB wrote:

    > Charlie Wilkes wrote:
    >
    >> ...that the Linux version of the Eee PC 1000 costs $150 more than the
    >> Windows XP version?
    >>
    >> Is this the free market at work, or is the market being rigged?
    >>
    >> How much does Microsoft pay Asus to sandbag Linux?

    > One very big difference. The Linux version has a 40 Gig solid state
    > "hard drive" whereas the XP version has a standard 80 Gig hard drive.
    >
    > If you don't want the "instant on" feature go for the XP version and
    > load your own Linux.

    That is what I am doing and it's a pain in the ass. I would rather have
    gotten one that had Linux pre-installed and already configured.

    Charlie

  10. Re: Why is it...

  11. Re: Why is it...

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 21:16:49 -0500, Charlie Wilkes wrote:

    > ...that the Linux version of the Eee PC 1000 costs $150 more than the
    > Windows XP version?

    Show the web page reference. Maybe someone will answer the question for
    you.

    --
    Rick

+ Reply to Thread