Re: [News] Photos from LinuxWorld, Computers Built for Schools - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Photos from LinuxWorld, Computers Built for Schools - Linux ; On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 19:23:43 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > LinuxWorld 2008: Thoughts and Pictures > > ,----[ Quote ] >| Here are a few thoughts and a quick roundup of what I have seen at LinuxWorld >| 2008 ...

  1. Re: [News] Photos from LinuxWorld, Computers Built for Schools

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 19:23:43 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > LinuxWorld 2008: Thoughts and Pictures
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Here are a few thoughts and a quick roundup of what I have seen at LinuxWorld
    >| 2008 in San Francisco so far.
    > `----
    >
    > http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/106573/index.html

    Why are there so few people there?
    When I go to PCExpo it's so packed with bodies you can barely move around.

    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  2. Re: [News] Photos from LinuxWorld, Computers Built for Schools

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 19:23:43 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> LinuxWorld 2008: Thoughts and Pictures
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> Here are a few thoughts and a quick roundup of what I have seen at
    >>> LinuxWorld 2008 in San Francisco so far.

    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/106573/index.html

    > Why are there so few people there?

    Looks like every luser on the planet is there. No wonder linux has claimed
    ..02% of the desktop market.

    > When I go to PCExpo it's so packed with bodies you can barely move
    > around.

  3. Re: [News] Photos from LinuxWorld, Computers Built for Schools

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 19:23:43 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> LinuxWorld 2008: Thoughts and Pictures
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Here are a few thoughts and a quick roundup of what I have seen at LinuxWorld
    >>| 2008 in San Francisco so far.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/106573/index.html

    > Why are there so few people there?
    > When I go to PCExpo it's so packed with bodies you can barely move around.
    >
    > http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/106573/index.html

    More to the point, where were Roy or (*lol*) High Plains Hypocrite?

    --
    "Are Linux systems perfect. Uh, no."
    -- Rick in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  4. Re: [News] Photos from LinuxWorld, Computers Built for Schools

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 13:18:33 -0700, relic wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 19:23:43 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> LinuxWorld 2008: Thoughts and Pictures
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/106573/index.html

    >> Why are there so few people there?

    > Looks like every luser on the planet is there. No wonder linux has claimed
    > .02% of the desktop market.

    So it would appear.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  5. Re: [News] Photos from LinuxWorld, Computers Built for Schools

    Cross-posting added by "Moshe"

    * relic peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 19:23:43 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> LinuxWorld 2008: Thoughts and Pictures
    >>>
    >>> http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/106573/index.html

    >> Why are there so few people there?

    > Looks like every luser on the planet is there. No wonder linux has claimed
    > .02% of the desktop market.
    >
    >> When I go to PCExpo it's so packed with bodies you can barely move
    >> around.

    Whatever happened to COMDEX?

    --
    You never go anywhere without your soul.

  6. Re: [News] Photos from LinuxWorld, Computers Built for Schools

    On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 08:05:04 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > Cross-posting added by "Moshe"
    >
    > * relic peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Why are there so few people there?

    >> Looks like every luser on the planet is there. No wonder linux has claimed
    >> .02% of the desktop market.
    >>
    >>> When I go to PCExpo it's so packed with bodies you can barely move
    >>> around.

    > Whatever happened to COMDEX?

    It's still around but I think they renamed it.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: [News] Photos from LinuxWorld, Computers Built for Schools

    Linonut wrote:
    > Cross-posting added by "Moshe"
    >
    > * relic peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Why are there so few people there?

    >> Looks like every luser on the planet is there. No wonder linux has
    >> claimed .02% of the desktop market.
    >>
    >>> When I go to PCExpo it's so packed with bodies you can barely move
    >>> around.

    > Whatever happened to COMDEX?

    Good question. I haven't heard of that for quite a few years now.

  8. Re: [News] Photos from LinuxWorld, Computers Built for Schools

    On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 08:46:56 -0700, relic wrote:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >> Cross-posting added by "Moshe"
    >>
    >> * relic peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Looks like every luser on the planet is there. No wonder linux has
    >>> claimed .02% of the desktop market.

    >> Whatever happened to COMDEX?

    > Good question. I haven't heard of that for quite a few years now.

    No longer in operation.
    INTEROP is the replacement.

    http://www.comdex.com/
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: Photos from LinuxWorld, Computers Built for Schools

    Re:

    http://www.comdex.com/

    The passing of Comdex indicates a movement to on-line research,
    cutting IT budgets and general belt tightening within Corporate
    America.

    Why spend $4,000 to have a guy from your company wander around there
    for a week
    when you can buy ten PC's and load them up with Ubuntu for the same
    price?

  10. Re: Photos from LinuxWorld, Computers Built for Schools

    harvey wrote:
    > Re:
    >
    > http://www.comdex.com/
    >
    > The passing of Comdex indicates a movement to on-line research,
    > cutting IT budgets and general belt tightening within Corporate
    > America.
    >
    > Why spend $4,000 to have a guy from your company wander around there
    > for a week
    > when you can buy ten PC's and load them up with Ubuntu for the same
    > price?

    Getting linux installed and working on 10 PCs will cost a hell of a lot more
    than $4,000.

  11. Re: Photos from LinuxWorld, Computers Built for Schools

    On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 10:45:48 -0700, Damian wrote:
    >harvey wrote:
    >> Re:
    >>
    >> http://www.comdex.com/
    >>
    >> The passing of Comdex indicates a movement to on-line research,
    >> cutting IT budgets and general belt tightening within Corporate
    >> America.
    >>
    >> Why spend $4,000 to have a guy from your company wander around there
    >> for a week
    >> when you can buy ten PC's and load them up with Ubuntu for the same
    >> price?

    >Getting linux installed and working on 10 PCs will cost a hell of a lot more
    >than $4,000.

    bull****

  12. Re: Photos from LinuxWorld, Computers Built for Schools

    AZ Nomad wrote:
    > On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 10:45:48 -0700, Damian
    > wrote:
    >> harvey wrote:
    >>> Re:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.comdex.com/
    >>>
    >>> The passing of Comdex indicates a movement to on-line research,
    >>> cutting IT budgets and general belt tightening within Corporate
    >>> America.
    >>>
    >>> Why spend $4,000 to have a guy from your company wander around there
    >>> for a week
    >>> when you can buy ten PC's and load them up with Ubuntu for the same
    >>> price?

    >> Getting linux installed and working on 10 PCs will cost a hell of a
    >> lot more than $4,000.

    > bull****

    Probably your time has no value.

  13. Re: Photos from LinuxWorld, Computers Built for Schools

    some idiot forging chrisv wrote:

    >Probably your time has no value.

    Ignore the forger.

  14. Re: Photos from LinuxWorld, Computers Built for Schools

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, chrisv

    wrote
    on Thu, 7 Aug 2008 17:55:03 -0700
    <03dc341f$0$24283$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>:
    > AZ Nomad wrote:
    >> On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 10:45:48 -0700, Damian
    >> wrote:

    >>> Getting linux installed and working on 10 PCs will cost a hell of a
    >>> lot more than $4,000.

    >> bull****

    > Probably your time has no value.

    Exactly. Windows just works right out of the box.

    http://www.lockergnome.com/eksodos/2...not-just-work/

    And it intuitively interfaces with common devices, such
    as printers.

    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...ftvista30.html

    (There is a happy ending.

    http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/m...ves/141343.asp )

    And this individual is a very happy Vista customer...I think...

    http://virtuelvis.com/archives/2007/09/me-and-vista

    (I suspect part of his problem is insufficient RAM; the
    X61s starts at 512 MB, which isn't quite enough for Vista
    Business Edition. But hey, it should still just work,
    right?)

    And of course Dell recommended Windows Vista over XP...

    http://blogs.computerworld.com/going...e_its_too_late

    ....and Windows' intuitive interface makes things super obvious:

    http://whycantstuffjustwork.blogspot.com/

    To be fair, there's a customer or two who might truly be happy:

    http://blogs.msdn.com/pstubbs/archiv...-is-toast.aspx

    though the more or less usual meaning of "something is
    toast" means that it is broken beyond redemption.

    As for getting 10 identical PCs running with Linux, with
    Gentoo it's not that difficult; I'd build 1 basic system
    with distccd, tweak it as much as I dare, shut it down, use
    LiveCDs to copy it to the other 9, get them all running,
    then use them as a CPU farm to build the rest of the base
    system and package everything up (Gentoo has a packaging
    option) for quick install.

    If one doesn't want to go that route, one could simply
    install a stock Fedora, SuSE, Slackware, or Ubuntu
    installation 10 times.

    1 day at most, all done, if the distro and the PC work together.
    (It's still not a guarantee, unfortunately.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux sucks efficiently, but Windows just blows around
    a lot of hot air and vapor.

  15. Re: Photos from LinuxWorld, Computers Built for Schools

    Damian wrote:
    > harvey wrote:
    >> Re:
    >>
    >> http://www.comdex.com/
    >>
    >> The passing of Comdex indicates a movement to on-line research,
    >> cutting IT budgets and general belt tightening within Corporate
    >> America.
    >>
    >> Why spend $4,000 to have a guy from your company wander around there
    >> for a week
    >> when you can buy ten PC's and load them up with Ubuntu for the same
    >> price?

    Ubuntu?!?! LMAO!

    Free[ze]ware at its worst.

    > Getting linux installed and working on 10 PCs will cost a hell of a
    > lot more than $4,000.

    You forget how "resourceful" a cheap, broke Linux luser can be. Look at
    WRonG. He buys his 3rd hand pieces of obsolete junk off Ebay for $120 and
    installs free crapware on them.

    Linux lusers: we love to let Windows users subsidize our utter cheapness.

+ Reply to Thread