[News] [Rival] Apple Only 'Rents' iPhones, Sued for Turning Workers to 'Slaves' - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] Apple Only 'Rents' iPhones, Sued for Turning Workers to 'Slaves'

    iPhone hackers go too far, get shut down by Apple

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Apple's iPhone 2.0.1 firmware also breaks iPhone open source development. My
    | iPod Touch, which never made any trouble for AT&T or Apple, and never cost
    | any App Store vendor a dime in lost sales, won't run Unix apps any more. I'm
    | back to hauling a notebook around when just my iPod Touch would do.
    `----

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/ar...e_hackers.html

    It's like people thinking that they 'own' their Windows (and PC). They are
    guests on their own hardware.

    Apple sued for indentured servitude

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Filed in the US District Court for Southern California, the complaint claims
    | that many Apple employees are routinely subjected to working conditions
    | resembling indentured servitude.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ued-indentured

    http://static.blogo.it/ossblog/iphone_defective.jpg

    Related:

    Green Scorecard Puts IBM Top, Apple Last

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | An organic climate change lobby group has issued green ratings for hardware
    | and software-based IT suppliers as well as other businesses. IBM leads the
    | IT pack while Apple, Amazon and eBay are bottom with zero green
    | credentials.
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2007...pcworld/134123

    A Greener Apple

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Apple has been criticized by some environmental organizations for not
    | being a leader in removing toxic chemicals from its new products, and
    | for not aggressively or properly recycling its old products.
    `----

    http://www.apple.com/hotnews/agreenerapple/

    Apple has toxic core: Greenpeace

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Despite Apple's launch of the eco-friendly iPhone last week,
    | Greenpeace is demanding an environmental revolution that will
    | shake the company to its core.
    `----

    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/01...e_slams_apple/

    Jobs in 'Apple not perfect' shock

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | An internal email sent by Steve Jobs admits that MobileMe was "not up to
    | Apple's standards" and that the company tried to do too much too quickly.
    |
    | The shock missive, which tips the world upside down for Mactopians, goes on
    | to admit that they've still got a lot to learn about internet services.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08...e_not_perfect/

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Apple Only 'Rents' iPhones, Sued for TurningWorkers to 'Slaves'

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 20:23:54 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > iPhone hackers go too far, get shut down by Apple
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Apple's iPhone 2.0.1 firmware also breaks iPhone open source
    > development. My | iPod Touch, which never made any trouble for AT&T or
    > Apple, and never cost | any App Store vendor a dime in lost sales, won't
    > run Unix apps any more. I'm | back to hauling a notebook around when
    > just my iPod Touch would do. `----
    >
    > http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/ar...e_hackers.html

    You know, I don't get it. Why would anyone buy something like this
    _knowing_ that they're going to be fighting against the manufacturer
    constantly? This is essential a closed device right now and people
    shouldn't be buying them to crack them; they should be boycotting them
    and buying a device that's more friendly to their needs!

    I had a blackberry which I used for about 1 week. I hated it. I ended up
    buying an unlocked Nokia E61 (used) and buying a SIM card for Rogers
    Wireless. It does do everything I want and yes the default settings don't
    allow for installing unsigned applications, but that's just a setting
    which can be changed. I have an SSH client, IRC Client, VNC Viewer, Opera
    Mini installed. It does what _I_ want the way _I_ want it to.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Apple Only 'Rents' iPhones, Sued for Turning Workers to 'Slaves'

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 04:25:15 GMT, alt wrote:

    > On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 20:23:54 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> iPhone hackers go too far, get shut down by Apple
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Apple's iPhone 2.0.1 firmware also breaks iPhone open source
    >> development. My | iPod Touch, which never made any trouble for AT&T or
    >> Apple, and never cost | any App Store vendor a dime in lost sales, won't
    >> run Unix apps any more. I'm | back to hauling a notebook around when
    >> just my iPod Touch would do. `----
    >>
    >> http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/ar...e_hackers.html

    > You know, I don't get it. Why would anyone buy something like this
    > _knowing_ that they're going to be fighting against the manufacturer
    > constantly? This is essential a closed device right now and people
    > shouldn't be buying them to crack them; they should be boycotting them
    > and buying a device that's more friendly to their needs!
    >
    > I had a blackberry which I used for about 1 week. I hated it. I ended up
    > buying an unlocked Nokia E61 (used) and buying a SIM card for Rogers
    > Wireless. It does do everything I want and yes the default settings don't
    > allow for installing unsigned applications, but that's just a setting
    > which can be changed. I have an SSH client, IRC Client, VNC Viewer, Opera
    > Mini installed. It does what _I_ want the way _I_ want it to.

    Welcome to the less than 1 percent of the population....
    Have fun!!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Apple Only 'Rents' iPhones, Sued for Turning Workers to 'Slaves'

    alt espoused:
    > On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 20:23:54 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> iPhone hackers go too far, get shut down by Apple
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Apple's iPhone 2.0.1 firmware also breaks iPhone open source
    >> development. My | iPod Touch, which never made any trouble for AT&T or
    >> Apple, and never cost | any App Store vendor a dime in lost sales, won't
    >> run Unix apps any more. I'm | back to hauling a notebook around when
    >> just my iPod Touch would do. `----
    >>
    >> http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/ar...e_hackers.html

    > You know, I don't get it. Why would anyone buy something like this
    > _knowing_ that they're going to be fighting against the manufacturer
    > constantly? This is essential a closed device right now and people
    > shouldn't be buying them to crack them; they should be boycotting them
    > and buying a device that's more friendly to their needs!

    There are plenty of suitable devices out there, including the freerunner
    phone, the Nokia 810, 800, 770, the upcoming Pandora box. There is an
    increasingly long list of LiMo devices appearing, as well as Android
    coming up.

    > I had a blackberry which I used for about 1 week. I hated it. I ended up
    > buying an unlocked Nokia E61 (used) and buying a SIM card for Rogers
    > Wireless. It does do everything I want and yes the default settings don't
    > allow for installing unsigned applications, but that's just a setting
    > which can be changed. I have an SSH client, IRC Client, VNC Viewer, Opera
    > Mini installed. It does what _I_ want the way _I_ want it to.

    I've had various Nokia phones, the radio part has always been excellent.
    Symbian is okay, and there is a fair amount of software for symbian
    versions out there, although not close to that for Linux.