Re: Senator 'Tubes' (Ted Stevens) Seemingly Bribed to Fight Freedom - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Senator 'Tubes' (Ted Stevens) Seemingly Bribed to Fight Freedom - Linux ; Could someone explain to my just what is wrong with that Senator's "tubes" analogy? As Ed Felten noted: From the lowliest blogger to Jon Stewart, everybody is laughing at Sen. Ted Stevens and his remarks on net neutrality. The sound ...

  1. Re: Senator 'Tubes' (Ted Stevens) Seemingly Bribed to Fight Freedom

    Could someone explain to my just what is wrong with that Senator's
    "tubes" analogy? As Ed Felten noted:

    From the lowliest blogger to Jon Stewart, everybody is laughing at
    Sen. Ted Stevens and his remarks on net neutrality. The sound bite
    about the Internet being ³a series of tubes² has come in for for the
    most ridicule.

    Iıll grant that Stevens sounds pretty confused on the recording.
    Butıs letıs give the guy a break. He was speaking off the cuff in a
    meeting, and he sounds a bit agitated. Have you ever listened to a
    recording of yourself speaking in an unscripted setting? For most
    people, itıs pretty depressing. We misspeak, drop words, repeat
    phrases, and mangle sentences all the time. Normally, listenersı
    brains edit out the errors.

    In this light, some of the ridicule of Stevens seems a bit unfair.
    He said the Internet is made up of ³tubes². Taken literally, thatıs
    crazy. But experts talk about ³pipes² all the time. Is the gap
    between ³tubes² and ³pipes² really so large? And when Stevens says
    that his staff sent him ³an Internet² and it took several days to
    arrive, it sounds to me like he meant to say ³an email² and just
    misspoke.

    Excerpted from .

    --
    --Tim Smith

  2. Re: Senator 'Tubes' (Ted Stevens) Seemingly Bribed to Fight Freedom

    In article <14jofjrw2oj2v$.t3fzmb43v758.dlg@40tude.net>,
    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:
    > As for the tubes statement, maybe he should have consulted with Al Gore
    > "The father of the Internet" before making a comment like that!

    Here's what Robert Kahn and Vinton Cerf have to say about Al Gore's
    widely misunderstood statement.

    Al Gore and the Internet

    By Robert Kahn and Vinton Cerf

    Al Gore was the first political leader to recognize the importance of
    the Internet and to promote and support its development.

    No one person or even small group of persons exclusively "invented" the
    Internet. It is the result of many years of ongoing collaboration among
    people in government and the university community. But as the two
    people who designed the basic architecture and the core protocols that
    make the Internet work, we would like to acknowledge VP Gore's
    contributions as a Congressman, Senator and as Vice President. No
    other elected official, to our knowledge, has made a greater
    contribution over a longer period of time.

    Last year the Vice President made a straightforward statement on his
    role. He said: "During my service in the United States Congress I took
    the initiative in creating the Internet." We don't think, as some
    people have argued, that Gore intended to claim he "invented" the
    Internet. Moreover, there is no question in our minds that while
    serving as Senator, Gore's initiatives had a significant and beneficial
    effect on the still-evolving Internet. The fact of the matter is that
    Gore was talking about and promoting the Internet long before most
    people were listening. We feel it is timely to offer our perspective.

    As far back as the 1970s Congressman Gore promoted the idea of high
    speed telecommunications as an engine for both economic growth and the
    improvement of our educational system. He was the first elected
    official to grasp the potential of computer communications to have a
    broader impact than just improving the conduct of science and
    scholarship. Though easily forgotten, now, at the time this was an
    unproven and controversial concept. Our work on the Internet started
    in 1973 and was based on even earlier work that took place in the
    mid-late 1960s. But the Internet, as we know it today, was not deployed
    until 1983. When the Internet was still in the early stages of its
    deployment, Congressman Gore provided intellectual leadership by
    helping create the vision of the potential benefits of high speed
    computing and communication. As an example, he sponsored hearings on
    how advanced technologies might be put to use in areas like
    coordinating the response of government agencies to natural disasters
    and other crises.

    As a Senator in the 1980s Gore urged government agencies to consolidate
    what at the time were several dozen different and unconnected networks
    into an "Interagency Network." Working in a bi-partisan manner with
    officials in Ronald Reagan and George Bush's administrations, Gore
    secured the passage of the High Performance Computing and
    Communications Act in 1991. This "Gore Act" supported the National
    Research and Education Network (NREN) initiative that became one of the
    major vehicles for the spread of the Internet beyond the field of
    computer science.

    As Vice President Gore promoted building the Internet both up and out,
    as well as releasing the Internet from the control of the government
    agencies that spawned it. He served as the major administration
    proponent for continued investment in advanced computing and networking
    and private sector initiatives such as Net Day. He was and is a strong
    proponent of extending access to the network to schools and libraries.
    Today, approximately 95% of our nation's schools are on the Internet.
    Gore provided much-needed political support for the speedy
    privatization of the Internet when the time arrived for it to become a
    commercially-driven operation.

    There are many factors that have contributed to the Internet's rapid
    growth since the later 1980s, not the least of which has been political
    support for its privatization and continued support for research in
    advanced networking technology. No one in public life has been more
    intellectually engaged in helping to create the climate for a thriving
    Internet than the Vice President. Gore has been a clear champion of
    this effort, both in the councils of government and with the public at
    large.

    The Vice President deserves credit for his early recognition of the
    value of high speed computing and communication and for his long-term
    and consistent articulation of the potential value of the Internet to
    American citizens and industry and, indeed, to the rest of the world.

    --Tim Smith

  3. Re: Senator 'Tubes' (Ted Stevens) Seemingly Bribed to Fight Freedom

    In article ,
    Rick wrote:
    > > As for the tubes statement, maybe he should have consulted with Al Gore
    > > "The father of the Internet" before making a comment like that!

    > Maybe you should read what Gore actually said, and have someone explain
    > to you what was meant. Maybe not. You seem to enjoy looking stupid.
    >
    > ... and Rick Blaine never said "play it again, Sam".

    He knows that. That's his point. He's suggesting that Stevens should
    have checked with Gore because Gore made a reasonable statement about
    the internet and was widely misunderstood.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  4. Re: Senator 'Tubes' (Ted Stevens) Seemingly Bribed to Fight Freedom

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 21:35:04 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Rick wrote:
    >>> As for the tubes statement, maybe he should have consulted with Al Gore
    >>> "The father of the Internet" before making a comment like that!

    >> Maybe you should read what Gore actually said, and have someone explain
    >> to you what was meant. Maybe not. You seem to enjoy looking stupid.
    >>
    >> ... and Rick Blaine never said "play it again, Sam".

    > He knows that. That's his point. He's suggesting that Stevens should
    > have checked with Gore because Gore made a reasonable statement about
    > the internet and was widely misunderstood.

    Bingo...We have a winner....

    Rick just does not seem to be too sharp...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

+ Reply to Thread