Linux = Disappointment - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux = Disappointment - Linux ; I got the Linux Bible 2008 by Negus today. Cost me $40. What disappointed me was that the first quarter of the book talked about how great Linux was, and how terrible Windows is and how bad Microsoft is, using ...

  1. Linux = Disappointment

    I got the Linux Bible 2008 by Negus today. Cost me $40.

    What disappointed me was that the first quarter of the book talked
    about how great Linux was, and how terrible Windows is and how bad
    Microsoft is, using stories from early 2000 or before, maybe as late
    as 2004, proving this book is essentially rehashed old news. Then,
    after spreading such FUD about Windows, it devoted another 50% of the
    book to the various flavors of Linux (proving Linux is splintered
    beyond repair), all the while bragging how Linux can run on
    'everything from handhelds to supercomputers'.

    Finally, the remaining 25% of the book--which runs to over 800 pages--
    talked about getting to the Internet, apps, gaming, programming, the
    shell, using Linux, all the while making it sound so easy it sounded
    insincere and like propaganda.

    And nothing on my version of LInux--DSL--which I have on an old
    machine. After reading this book there's NO WAY I will switch from
    WIndows. No way.

    What a disappointment. Seems like my gut feeling about LInux being
    hobbyware--based on my experiences 10 years ago dual booting Linux
    RedHat (5?) with NT, is still correct.

    After 10 years, Linux has nothing to show for it but further
    fragmentation. "Yellow Dog" Linux, anyone?

    RL

  2. Re: Linux = Disappointment

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 09:09:14 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    > I got the Linux Bible 2008 by Negus today. Cost me $40.
    >
    > What disappointed me was that the first quarter of the book talked about
    > how great Linux was, and how terrible Windows is and how bad Microsoft
    > is, using stories from early 2000 or before, maybe as late as 2004,
    > proving this book is essentially rehashed old news. Then, after
    > spreading such FUD about Windows, it devoted another 50% of the book to
    > the various flavors of Linux (proving Linux is splintered beyond
    > repair), all the while bragging how Linux can run on 'everything from
    > handhelds to supercomputers'.
    >
    > Finally, the remaining 25% of the book--which runs to over 800 pages--
    > talked about getting to the Internet, apps, gaming, programming, the
    > shell, using Linux, all the while making it sound so easy it sounded
    > insincere and like propaganda.
    >
    > And nothing on my version of LInux--DSL--which I have on an old machine.
    > After reading this book there's NO WAY I will switch from WIndows. No
    > way.

    Was the Linux Bible written to support DSL?

    Lets take a look at the TOC:

    Part I: Linux First Steps.
    Chapter 1: Starting with Linux.
    Chapter 2: Running Commands from the Shell.
    Chapter 3: Getting into the Desktop.
    Part II: Running the Show.
    Chapter 4: Learning Basic Administration.
    Chapter 5: Getting on the Internet.
    Chapter 6: Securing Linux.
    Part III: Choosing and Installing a Linux Distribution.
    Chapter 7: Installing Linux.
    Chapter 8: Running Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
    Chapter 9: Running Debian GNU/Linux.
    Chapter 10: Running SUSE and openSUSE Linux.
    Chapter 11: Running KNOPPIX.
    Chapter 12: Running Yellow Dog Linux.
    Chapter 13: Running Gentoo Linux.
    Chapter 14: Running Slackware Linux.
    Chapter 15: Running Linspire and Freespire.
    Chapter 16: Running Mandriva.
    Chapter 17: Running Ubuntu Linux.
    Chapter 18: Running a Linux Firewall/Router.
    Chapter 19: Running Bootable Linux Distributions.
    Part IV: Running Applications.
    Chapter 20: Playing Music and Video.
    Chapter 21: Working with Words and Images.
    Chapter 22: E-Mailing and Web Browsing.
    Chapter 23: Gaming with Linux.
    Part V: Running Servers.
    Chapter 24: Running a Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP (LAMP) Server.
    Chapter 25: Running a Mail Server.
    Chapter 26: Running a Print Server.
    Chapter 27: Running a File Server.
    Part VI: Programming in Linux.
    Chapter 28: Programming Environments and Interfaces.
    Chapter 29: Programming Tools and Utilities.
    Appendix A: Media.
    Appendix B: Entering the Linux Community.

    Nope, The Linux Bible wasn't written to support DSL. Couldn't you be
    bothered to look inthe index to see if DSL was mentioned? Running Linux
    might have been a better selection for you, but it isn't DSL specific,
    either.

    > What a disappointment. Seems like my gut feeling about Linux being
    > hobbyware--based on my experiences 10 years ago dual booting Linux
    > RedHat (5?) with NT, is still correct.

    Hobby ware... like the hobby ware that is running most of the top 500
    super computer clusters? Like the hobby ware that is running desktops and
    servers in Largo and Chicago? Like the hobby ware that NASA uses? That
    hobby ware?

    > After 10 years, Linux has nothing to show for it but further
    > fragmentation. "Yellow Dog" Linux, anyone?
    >
    > RL

    I used Yellowdog Linux. Have you? I didn't think so. I was using YDL when
    I decided to ditch OS X and move to a Linux system as my main desktop
    system.

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: Linux = Disappointment

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 09:09:14 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    > Finally, the remaining 25% of the book--which runs to over 800 pages--
    > talked about getting to the Internet, apps, gaming, programming, the
    > shell, using Linux, all the while making it sound so easy it sounded
    > insincere and like propaganda.

    Did you bother to find a book better suited for your needs? There are
    crappy books on XP.

    -Thufir

  4. Re: Linux = Disappointment

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 09:09:14 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    > I got the Linux Bible 2008 by Negus today. Cost me $40.
    >
    > What disappointed me was that the first quarter of the book talked about
    > how great Linux was, and how terrible Windows is and how bad Microsoft is,
    > using stories from early 2000 or before, maybe as late as 2004, proving
    > this book is essentially rehashed old news. Then, after spreading such
    > FUD about Windows, it devoted another 50% of the book to the various
    > flavors of Linux (proving Linux is splintered beyond repair), all the
    > while bragging how Linux can run on 'everything from handhelds to
    > supercomputers'.
    >
    > Finally, the remaining 25% of the book--which runs to over 800 pages--
    > talked about getting to the Internet, apps, gaming, programming, the
    > shell, using Linux, all the while making it sound so easy it sounded
    > insincere and like propaganda.
    >
    > And nothing on my version of LInux--DSL--which I have on an old machine.
    > After reading this book there's NO WAY I will switch from WIndows. No way.
    >
    > What a disappointment. Seems like my gut feeling about LInux being
    > hobbyware--based on my experiences 10 years ago dual booting Linux RedHat
    > (5?) with NT, is still correct.
    >
    > After 10 years, Linux has nothing to show for it but further
    > fragmentation. "Yellow Dog" Linux, anyone?
    >
    > RL

    It took me all of 5 seconds to find this book on DSL:

    It includes a CD with various versions of DSL.

    Bug

  5. Re: Linux = Disappointment

    On 2008-08-06, thufir wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 09:09:14 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:
    >

    >> Finally, the remaining 25% of the book--which runs to over 800 pages--
    >> talked about getting to the Internet, apps, gaming, programming, the
    >> shell, using Linux, all the while making it sound so easy it sounded
    >> insincere and like propaganda.

    > Did you bother to find a book better suited for your needs? There are
    > crappy books on XP.

    If you aren't an idiot that can view things abstractly, there are
    Unix books that predate the existence of Linux that are very much
    on-point and useful if you are getting into Linux.

    --
    ....as if the ability to run Cubase ever made or broke a platform.
    / | \

  6. Re: Linux = Disappointment

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 17:36:43 +0000, thufir wrote:

    > On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 09:09:14 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:
    >

    >> Finally, the remaining 25% of the book--which runs to over 800 pages--
    >> talked about getting to the Internet, apps, gaming, programming, the
    >> shell, using Linux, all the while making it sound so easy it sounded
    >> insincere and like propaganda.

    > Did you bother to find a book better suited for your needs? There are
    > crappy books on XP.

    Dopez would need a book printed in words of one syllable. He's too stupid
    to understand anything else.

    --
    Is a M$ "Certificate of Authenticity"
    for Vista, a junk bond?

  7. Re: Linux = Disappointment

    On Aug 6, 11:06*am, bugbuster wrote:

    > It took me all of 5 seconds to find this book on DSL:
    >

    > It includes a CD with various versions of DSL.
    >
    > Bug

    Thanks Bug. I'll order this book, I honestly did not see it the first
    time I looked.

    RL

  8. Re: Linux = Disappointment

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 23:11:56 +0100, William Poaster wrote:

    > On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 17:36:43 +0000, thufir wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 09:09:14 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:
    >>

    >>> Finally, the remaining 25% of the book--which runs to over 800 pages--
    >>> talked about getting to the Internet, apps, gaming, programming, the
    >>> shell, using Linux, all the while making it sound so easy it sounded
    >>> insincere and like propaganda.

    >> Did you bother to find a book better suited for your needs? There are
    >> crappy books on XP.

    > Dopez would need a book printed in words of one syllable. He's too stupid
    > to understand anything else.

    How's the porn surfing coming along these days?
    Geoff M. Fitton
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  9. Re: Linux = Disappointment

    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    > On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 23:11:56 +0100, William Poaster wrote:

    >>> Did you bother to find a book better suited for your needs? There
    >>> are crappy books on XP.

    >> Dopez would need a book printed in words of one syllable. He's too
    >> stupid to understand anything else.

    > How's the porn surfing coming along these days?
    > Geoff M. Fitton

    I read about this a few days ago. What is this all about? Something about
    him finding child porn on Microsoft's site or something. Did he?

  10. Re: Linux = Disappointment

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 15:25:56 -0700, Rekruled wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message

    >>> Dopez would need a book printed in words of one syllable. He's too
    >>> stupid to understand anything else.

    >> How's the porn surfing coming along these days?
    >> Geoff M. Fitton

    > I read about this a few days ago. What is this all about? Something about
    > him finding child porn on Microsoft's site or something. Did he?

    Naahh...

    Someone outed William Poaster as being :

    Geoff M. Fitton
    Tel: (xnmxnmnmnmxn)
    sdlkslkdlskdlksaldklakldkald

    (Look in Google for the information)

    William Poaster of course went on the offense, flooding the group, and in
    one message he mentioned that another poster here uses a server maintained
    by a company that is known for serving kiddie porn.

    How and why William Poaster was privy to this sort of odd piece of
    information is questionable.

    Possibly he is a children's advocate, or maybe the reason is more sinister.
    I have no idea and it's his problem not mine.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: Linux = Disappointment

    > On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 15:25:56 -0700, Rekruled wrote:
    >
    >> "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message

    >>> How's the porn surfing coming along these days?
    >>> Geoff M. Fitton

    >> I read about this a few days ago. What is this all about?
    >> Something about him finding child porn on Microsoft's site or
    >> something. Did he?

    > Naahh...
    >
    > Someone outed William Poaster as being :
    >
    > Geoff M. Fitton
    > Tel: (xnmxnmnmnmxn)
    > sdlkslkdlskdlksaldklakldkald
    >
    > (Look in Google for the information)
    >

    > William Poaster of course went on the offense, flooding the group,
    > and in one message he mentioned that another poster here uses a
    > server maintained by a company that is known for serving kiddie porn.

    Was this the same user who "outed" him?

    > How and why William Poaster was privy to this sort of odd piece of
    > information is questionable.

    I know I would have no idea. It is odd anyone would other than a pervert or
    someone in law enforcement.

    > Possibly he is a children's advocate, or maybe the reason is more
    > sinister. I have no idea and it's his problem not mine.

  12. Re: Linux = Disappointment

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 15:44:19 -0700, Rekruled wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 15:25:56 -0700, Rekruled wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in message

    >>> I read about this a few days ago. What is this all about?
    >>> Something about him finding child porn on Microsoft's site or
    >>> something. Did he?

    >> Naahh...
    >>
    >> Someone outed William Poaster as being :
    >>
    >> Geoff M. Fitton
    >> Tel: (xnmxnmnmnmxn)
    >> sdlkslkdlskdlksaldklakldkald
    >>
    >> (Look in Google for the information)
    >>

    >> William Poaster of course went on the offense, flooding the group,
    >> and in one message he mentioned that another poster here uses a
    >> server maintained by a company that is known for serving kiddie porn.

    > Was this the same user who "outed" him?
    >
    >> How and why William Poaster was privy to this sort of odd piece of
    >> information is questionable.

    > I know I would have no idea. It is odd anyone would other than a pervert or
    > someone in law enforcement.
    >
    >> Possibly he is a children's advocate, or maybe the reason is more
    >> sinister. I have no idea and it's his problem not mine.

    It looked like different people.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: Linux = Disappointment

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 15:14:07 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    >> <http://www.amazon.com/Official-Damn-...dp/0132338696/

    re...>

    >> It includes a CD with various versions of DSL.
    >>
    >> Bug

    > Thanks Bug. I'll order this book, I honestly did not see it the first
    > time I looked.

    What kind of search did you conduct the first time around?

    Morbidly curious,

    Thufir

  14. Re: Linux = Disappointment

    On Aug 6, 3:38*pm, "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:

    > William Poaster of course went on the offense, flooding the group, and in
    > one message he mentioned that another poster here uses a server maintained
    > by a company that is known for serving kiddie porn.
    >
    > How and why William Poaster was privy to this sort of odd piece of
    > information is questionable.
    >
    > Possibly he is a children's advocate, or maybe the reason is more sinister.
    > I have no idea and it's his problem not mine.

    Off topic, if you ever go online and check "Megan's Law" databases for
    perverts, you'll find that in any neighborhood of decent size there's
    always a couple--usually teenage boys or young men who are often
    convicted of a bunch of crimes including sodomy of underage kids. Go
    to California or Arizona's public websites and check it out--amazing
    how many of these guys there are.

    RL

  15. Re: Linux = Disappointment

    On Aug 6, 4:01*pm, thufir wrote:

    > What kind of search did you conduct the first time around? *
    >
    > Morbidly curious,
    >
    > Thufir

    On Amazon.com I entered "Linux" and found a lot of books on Linux but
    most had last been published in 2004. This shows me Linux peaked
    earlier this decade. Only the Linux Bible 2008 had a recent date,
    and, like I say in this thread, the material in it looks 4 years old.
    In fact, what's suspicious is that the publishers do not have any
    information about earlier editions on the flyleaf of Linux Bible 2008,
    which I hate, since usually the only thing that has changed in these
    books is the copyright information (i.e., they replace "(c) 2007" with
    "(c) 2008"). Travel guides do this a lot.

    Has Linux fever peaked? You are in better position than I to know,
    but from here it sure looks that way.

    RL

  16. Re: Linux = Disappointment

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 02:12:21 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    >> What kind of search did you conduct the first time around?
    >>
    >> Morbidly curious,
    >>
    >> Thufir

    > On Amazon.com I entered "Linux" and found a lot of books on Linux but
    > most had last been published in 2004.

    2004 may have been when many Linux books were published. I would say
    that most Linux books written in the this century are going to be
    reasonably useful and up to date. I'll contradict that by saying that
    Linux moves faster than Windows

    > This shows me Linux peaked
    > earlier this decade.

    Based on that search result? I think you can conclude that of the books
    you saw most were published in 2004. As above, maybe 2004 was a banner
    year for Linux books for some reason(?). I dunno.

    > Only the Linux Bible 2008 had a recent date, and,
    > like I say in this thread, the material in it looks 4 years old.

    Well, probably lots of it hasn't changed since 2004. Most of the
    movement is at the periphery. The various shells, the basics of the
    various windows managers, stuff like that moves incrementally.

    > In
    > fact, what's suspicious is that the publishers do not have any
    > information about earlier editions on the flyleaf of Linux Bible 2008,
    > which I hate, since usually the only thing that has changed in these
    > books is the copyright information (i.e., they replace "(c) 2007" with
    > "(c) 2008"). Travel guides do this a lot.

    Heh, maybe. That's hardly an indictment of Linux itself, though, is it?

    > Has Linux fever peaked? You are in better position than I to know, but
    > from here it sure looks that way.

    Well, lotsa trolls here, if that's a barometer of anything. That
    Microsoft references Linux in its SEC filings at a minimum lends
    legitimacy to the concept of the commoditization of OS's, specifically
    with Linux as an alternate.

    I would rather than Linux be a mundane thing rather, referenced without
    footnotes, rather than a fade

    -Thufir

  17. Re: Linux = Disappointment

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 02:12:21 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    > On Aug 6, 4:01*pm, thufir wrote:
    >
    >> What kind of search did you conduct the first time around?
    >>
    >> Morbidly curious,
    >>
    >> Thufir

    > On Amazon.com I entered "Linux" and found a lot of books on Linux but
    > most had last been published in 2004. This shows me Linux peaked
    > earlier this decade. Only the Linux Bible 2008 had a recent date, and,
    > like I say in this thread, the material in it looks 4 years old. In
    > fact, what's suspicious is that the publishers do not have any
    > information about earlier editions on the flyleaf of Linux Bible 2008,
    > which I hate, since usually the only thing that has changed in these
    > books is the copyright information (i.e., they replace "(c) 2007" with
    > "(c) 2008"). Travel guides do this a lot.

    Here's what a search for linux produced for me.

    Showing 1 - 12 of 19,336 Results (sorted by relevance):

    A Practical Guide to Linux(R) Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming
    by Mark G. Sobell (Paperback - Jul 11, 2005)

    Linux Pocket Guide by Daniel J. Barrett (Paperback - Mar 1, 2004) -
    Illustrated

    Linux Bible, 2008 Edition: Boot up to Ubuntu, Fedora, KNOPPIX, Debian,
    openSUSE, and 11 Other Distributions by Christopher Negus (Paperback -
    Feb 19, 2008)

    Understanding the Linux Kernel, Third Edition by Daniel Bovet and
    Marco Cesati (Paperback - Nov 17, 2005) - Illustrated

    Essential Linux Device Drivers (Prentice Hall Open Source Software
    Development Series) by Sreekrishnan Venkateswaran (Hardcover - April
    6, 2008)

    Embedded Linux Primer: A Practical Real-World Approach (Prentice Hall
    Open Source Software Development Series) by Christopher Hallinan
    (Paperback - Sep 28, 2006)

    Linux Device Drivers, 3rd Edition by Jonathan Corbet, Alessandro
    Rubini, and Greg Kroah-Hartman (Paperback - Feb 7, 2005) - Illustrated

    Linux in a Nutshell (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly)) by Ellen Siever, Aaron
    Weber, Stephen Figgins, and Robert Love (Paperback - Jul 27, 2005)

    Beginning Linux Programming by Neil Matthew and Richard Stones
    (Paperback - Nov 5, 2007)

    A Practical Guide to Ubuntu Linux(R) by Mark G. Sobell (Paperback -
    Dec 28, 2007)

    Linux Networking Cookbook (Linux) by Carla Schroder (Paperback - Nov
    26, 2007) - Illustrated

    Linux Kernel Development (2nd Edition) (Novell Press) by Robert Love
    (Paperback - Jan 22, 2005)

    That's just the first page of results:

    2008: 2
    2007: 3
    2006: 1
    2005: 4
    2004: 1

    > Has Linux fever peaked? You are in better position than I to know,
    > but from here it sure looks that way.

    Only one book published in 2004 on that first page. I think you are
    spouting bull**** once again.

  18. Re: Linux = Disappointment

    * Rekruled peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > snipped

    I had some kind of comeback, but got distracted by the fortune below.

    :%s/Burroughs/Microsoft/g

    --
    Q: How can you tell when a Burroughs salesman is lying?
    A: When his lips move.

  19. Re: Linux = Disappointment

    On Aug 7, 3:45*am, Rob Schwenk wrote:

    > That's just the first page of results:
    >
    > 2008: 2
    > 2007: 3
    > 2006: 1
    > 2005: 4
    > 2004: 1
    >
    > > Has Linux fever peaked? *You are in better position than I to know,
    > > but from here it sure looks that way.

    > Only one book published in 2004 on that first page. I think you are
    > spouting bull**** once again.

    What a fool. The stuff researched in 2004 was published in 2005!
    That was a banner year. Do you even read the junk you post?

    RL

+ Reply to Thread