Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Drives People MAD - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Drives People MAD - Linux ; Roy Schestowitz wrote: > There are fewer article about Vista these days. Nobody cares about it. Vista: 17% (1 in 6 users) market share after 18 months of availability Linux: 1% (1 in 100 users) market share after 17 years ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

  1. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > There are fewer article about Vista these days. Nobody cares about it.

    Vista: 17% (1 in 6 users) market share after 18 months of availability
    Linux: 1% (1 in 100 users) market share after 17 years of availability

    Linux is an enormous failure as a consumer product, and would have been
    killed off years ago if a return on investment was required.

  2. Re: [Rival] Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    On Aug 6, 8:00*am, "DFS" wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > > There are fewer article about Vista these days. Nobody cares about it.

    > Vista: 17% (1 in 6 users) market share after 18 months of availability
    > Linux: 1% (1 in 100 users) market share after 17 years of availability
    >
    > Linux is an enormous failure as a consumer product, and would have been
    > killed off years ago if a return on investment was required.

    Don't you realize that Vista was a move to something more like Linux?
    And people don't like it.

  3. Re: [Rival] Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    > On Aug 6, 8:00 am, "DFS" wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> There are fewer article about Vista these days. Nobody cares about
    >>> it.

    >> Vista: 17% (1 in 6 users) market share after 18 months of
    >> availability Linux: 1% (1 in 100 users) market share after 17 years
    >> of availability
    >>
    >> Linux is an enormous failure as a consumer product, and would have
    >> been killed off years ago if a return on investment was required.

    > Don't you realize that Vista was a move to something more like Linux?
    > And people don't like it.

    Of course they don't - the market share and sales rate proves it.

    And in other news of the weird, according to Rex "Mork" Ballard: "Microsoft
    has hinted that they are doing a major rework of the kernel, which will
    probably be based on the BSD kernel, and will probably be released with
    Vista."

  4. Re: [Rival] Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    On Aug 6, 8:00 am, "DFS" wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > > There are fewer article about Vista these days. Nobody cares about it.

    > Vista: 17% (1 in 6 users) market share after 18 months of availability
    > Linux: 1% (1 in 100 users) market share after 17 years of availability

    In http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
    I get
    Vista 11.5% 1 in 10 users after 18 months (XP had 33% after 18
    months).
    Linux+Other is about 9%
    Mac is 4.8%

    > Linux is an enormous failure as a consumer product, and would have been
    > killed off years ago if a return on investment was required.

    Linux on the DESKTOP has faced the full force of Microsoft's $40
    billion in leveragaged advertizing revenue,
    $40 billion in OEM and Corporate revenue which fund a $4 billion/year
    legal and settlements fund.

    Meanwhile, Linux APPLIANCES number in the Billions. There are now
    almost 2 Linux devices for every Windows desktop on the planet.
    Routers, TiVo, HDTV, WiFi hubs, and so on. Linux/Unix also provides
    cable DVRs, as well as PayPerView servers. Nearly EVERY Windows
    desktop user couldn't function if they didn't have access to Linux
    servers such as Google, Amazon, E-trade, and numerous other Linux
    based servers. Even Microsoft's web sites depend on Linux for load
    buffering and load balancing.

    Of course, one of the big spin-offs of Linux was the widespread
    acceptance of Open Source Software.

    According to http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    FireFox has 42.6% of the market, which could be as many as 800 million
    PCs (since many FF users also use IE and both would be counted in this
    survey).

    There are at least 1/2 billion Open Office deployments in the field
    today worldwide.

    And in less than 6 months, ASUS sold 18 million Linux powered EEE PCs.

    Wouldn't it be funny if ASUS with it's EEE PCs suddenly bumped it's
    way into the top 10 or even the top 5?

    Notice that when users were given the choice between Linux and
    Windows, Linux EEEs outsold Windows EEEs 6 to 4.

    There are even indicators that, thanks to desktop virtualization,
    there are almost 6 Linux/Unix desktop deployments for every 4 Windows
    Vista copies actually deployed to end-users.

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 08:00:11 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> There are fewer article about Vista these days. Nobody cares about it.

    > Vista: 17% (1 in 6 users) market share after 18 months of availability
    > Linux: 1% (1 in 100 users) market share after 17 years of availability
    >
    > Linux is an enormous failure as a consumer product, and would have been
    > killed off years ago if a return on investment was required.

    Think of all the time wasted by end users trying to make Linux work.

    If the Linux community would spend less time blaming others for Linux's
    failure on the desktop and start trying to improve it then Linux might have
    a chance.

    They can start by listening to what people have been telling them for 17
    years instead of crying in their Jolt about Microsoft.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: [Rival] Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 08:24:23 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Vista: 17% (1 in 6 users) market share after 18 months of
    >>> availability Linux: 1% (1 in 100 users) market share after 17 years
    >>> of availability
    >>>
    >>> Linux is an enormous failure as a consumer product, and would have
    >>> been killed off years ago if a return on investment was required.

    >> Don't you realize that Vista was a move to something more like Linux?
    >> And people don't like it.

    > Of course they don't - the market share and sales rate proves it.
    >
    > And in other news of the weird, according to Rex "Mork" Ballard: "Microsoft
    > has hinted that they are doing a major rework of the kernel, which will
    > probably be based on the BSD kernel, and will probably be released with
    > Vista."

    I thought they modeled the charactor of Mindy after Rex?

    IOW Rex "Mindy" Ballard?

    Am I incorrect?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: [Rival] Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    * Rex Ballard peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Linux on the DESKTOP has faced the full force of Microsoft's $40
    > billion in leveragaged advertizing revenue, $40 billion in OEM and
    > Corporate revenue which fund a $4 billion/year legal and settlements
    > fund.

    Even so, I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more uptake amongst consumers.

    The success of some of the recent preloads is telling.

    It's obvious that Gates was right (in a bizznizz sense) to go for the
    chokehold.

    > Meanwhile, Linux APPLIANCES number in the Billions. There are now
    > almost 2 Linux devices for every Windows desktop on the planet.
    > Routers, TiVo, HDTV, WiFi hubs, and so on. Linux/Unix also provides
    > cable DVRs, as well as PayPerView servers. Nearly EVERY Windows
    > desktop user couldn't function if they didn't have access to Linux
    > servers such as Google, Amazon, E-trade, and numerous other Linux
    > based servers. Even Microsoft's web sites depend on Linux for load
    > buffering and load balancing.
    >
    > Of course, one of the big spin-offs of Linux was the widespread
    > acceptance of Open Source Software.

    Actually, it's probably working the other way around, since stuff like
    OO and Firefox is much easier to get (much smaller, and doesn't need to
    be burned to CD or set up to boot on a USB key).

    > There are even indicators that, thanks to desktop virtualization,
    > there are almost 6 Linux/Unix desktop deployments for every 4 Windows
    > Vista copies actually deployed to end-users.

    You might want to clarify that, because it makes no sense to me as it
    stands.

    --
    I WISH I HAD A KRYPTONITE CROSS, because then you could keep both Dracula
    and Superman away.

  8. Re: [Rival] Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rex Ballard

    wrote
    on Wed, 6 Aug 2008 07:36:25 -0700 (PDT)
    :
    > On Aug 6, 8:00 am, "DFS" wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> > There are fewer article about Vista these days. Nobody cares about it.

    >> Vista: 17% (1 in 6 users) market share after 18 months of availability
    >> Linux: 1% (1 in 100 users) market share after 17 years of availability

    > In http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
    > I get
    > Vista 11.5% 1 in 10 users after 18 months (XP had 33% after 18
    > months).
    > Linux+Other is about 9%
    > Mac is 4.8%

    All of these figures are extremely suspect -- although I
    can't say how to make them better. The problem is that
    www.w3schools.com is a self-selected sample, and as any
    serious pollster can tell you, one can draw no conclusions
    from such regarding the superset of that sample.

    For all we know bots are hitting w3schools.

    The same problem presumably plagues hitslink.

    >> Linux is an enormous failure as a consumer product, and would have been
    >> killed off years ago if a return on investment was required.

    > Linux on the DESKTOP has faced the full force of Microsoft's $40
    > billion in leveragaged advertizing revenue,
    > $40 billion in OEM and Corporate revenue which fund a $4 billion/year
    > legal and settlements fund.

    True, and it's still doing remarkably well, regardless.
    I also suspect that many Windows-side desktops are in
    fact dual-boots (certainly three of mine are, although
    I do not boot into Windows that often).

    > Meanwhile, Linux APPLIANCES number in the Billions. There are now
    > almost 2 Linux devices for every Windows desktop on the planet.
    > Routers, TiVo, HDTV, WiFi hubs, and so on. Linux/Unix also provides
    > cable DVRs, as well as PayPerView servers. Nearly EVERY Windows
    > desktop user couldn't function if they didn't have access to Linux
    > servers such as Google, Amazon, E-trade, and numerous other Linux
    > based servers. Even Microsoft's web sites depend on Linux for load
    > buffering and load balancing.
    >
    > Of course, one of the big spin-offs of Linux was the widespread
    > acceptance of Open Source Software.
    >
    > According to http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    > FireFox has 42.6% of the market, which could be as many as 800 million
    > PCs (since many FF users also use IE and both would be counted in this
    > survey).

    Same problem. Still, Firefox does seem to have carved out a
    hefty niche; it might even best IE8. Microsoft might have
    a slight problem here....

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature/pedantry: Resource temporarily unavailable

  9. Re: [Rival] Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 20:27:50 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Yes, every so-called 'survey'. It's just one among the many reasons why these
    > stats cannot be trusted. See:

    Except when the stats show Linux in good fashion and then magically Linux
    market share can suddenly be measured.

    What a joke you Linux loons are.

    > Is Linux Getting the Shaft?

    Why?
    Are you jealous, Roy Schestowitz.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: [Rival] Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Wednesday 06 August 2008 18:50 : \____

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/20...nt=channellink

    >>> Linux is an enormous failure as a consumer product, and would have been
    >>> killed off years ago if a return on investment was required.

    >> Linux on the DESKTOP has faced the full force of Microsoft's $40
    >> billion in leveragaged advertizing revenue,
    >> $40 billion in OEM and Corporate revenue which fund a $4 billion/year
    >> legal and settlements fund.

    > True, and it's still doing remarkably well, regardless.
    > I also suspect that many Windows-side desktops are in
    > fact dual-boots (certainly three of mine are, although
    > I do not boot into Windows that often).

    Some people use Live CDs.

    >> Meanwhile, Linux APPLIANCES number in the Billions. There are now
    >> almost 2 Linux devices for every Windows desktop on the planet.
    >> Routers, TiVo, HDTV, WiFi hubs, and so on. Linux/Unix also provides
    >> cable DVRs, as well as PayPerView servers. Nearly EVERY Windows
    >> desktop user couldn't function if they didn't have access to Linux
    >> servers such as Google, Amazon, E-trade, and numerous other Linux
    >> based servers. Even Microsoft's web sites depend on Linux for load
    >> buffering and load balancing.
    >>
    >> Of course, one of the big spin-offs of Linux was the widespread
    >> acceptance of Open Source Software.
    >>
    >> According to http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    >> FireFox has 42.6% of the market, which could be as many as 800 million
    >> PCs (since many FF users also use IE and both would be counted in this
    >> survey).

    > Same problem. Still, Firefox does seem to have carved out a
    > hefty niche; it might even best IE8. Microsoft might have
    > a slight problem here....

    With the European Commission? For sure. They already play dirty.

    >> There are at least 1/2 billion Open Office deployments in the field
    >> today worldwide.
    >>
    >> And in less than 6 months, ASUS sold 18 million Linux powered EEE PCs.
    >>
    >> Wouldn't it be funny if ASUS with it's EEE PCs suddenly bumped it's
    >> way into the top 10 or even the top 5?
    >>
    >> Notice that when users were given the choice between Linux and
    >> Windows, Linux EEEs outsold Windows EEEs 6 to 4.
    >>
    >> There are even indicators that, thanks to desktop virtualization,
    >> there are almost 6 Linux/Unix desktop deployments for every 4 Windows
    >> Vista copies actually deployed to end-users.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Play Othello: http://othellomaster.com
    Mem: 2075800k total, 1610856k used, 464944k free, 52860k buffers

  11. Re: Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    On Aug 6, 2:33 pm, Linonut wrote:
    > * Rex Ballard peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    > > Linux on the DESKTOP has faced the full force of Microsoft's $40
    > > billion in leveragaged advertizing revenue, $40 billion in OEM and
    > > Corporate revenue which fund a $4 billion/year legal and settlements
    > > fund.

    > Even so, I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more uptake amongst consumers.
    >
    > The success of some of the recent preloads is telling.
    >
    > It's obvious that Gates was right (in a bizznizz sense) to go for the
    > chokehold.

    Keep in mind that Bill Gates, Steve Ballmer, and other top Microsoft
    Executives admitted to criminal acts, under oath, in a "corporate self-
    defense" justification, to a variety of criminal acts, including
    fraud, extortion, blackmail, sabotage, and Obstruction of Justice.
    They then proceded to achieve immunity from criminal prosecution by
    offering settlements, paid in "Billy Bucks" (Microsoft licenses to
    schools and other community services) but valued at approximately $3
    billion per year in settlements, in addition to $2 billion in legal
    fees and services..

    Of course, the records can only be unsealed for a criminal
    investigation, and if Microsoft was found to have gained profits as a
    result of criminal acts, this would make it possible to prosecute not
    only Microsoft, but also all willing conspirators, including OEMs,
    IHVs, and ISVs.

    > > Meanwhile, Linux APPLIANCES number in the Billions. There are now
    > > almost 2 Linux devices for every Windows desktop on the planet.
    > > Routers, TiVo, HDTV, WiFi hubs, and so on. Linux/Unix also provides
    > > cable DVRs, as well as PayPerView servers. Nearly EVERY Windows
    > > desktop user couldn't function if they didn't have access to Linux
    > > servers such as Google, Amazon, E-trade, and numerous other Linux
    > > based servers. Even Microsoft's web sites depend on Linux for load
    > > buffering and load balancing.

    > > Of course, one of the big spin-offs of Linux was the widespread
    > > acceptance of Open Source Software.

    > Actually, it's probably working the other way around, since stuff like
    > OO and Firefox is much easier to get (much smaller, and doesn't need to
    > be burned to CD or set up to boot on a USB key).

    These applications were forged in the highly competitive Linux/Unix
    environment, and were then ported to Windows, often using Linux
    libraries such as cygwin, Qt, and gtk, to aid in the porting.

    Keep in mind that one of the very uncounted millions of Linux
    deployments is Cygwin. Cygwin is a library that converts Linux system
    calls into Windows system calls. It allows Linux applications to be
    compiled as exe files that can be run under Windows. Another library
    lets you run ELF applications (the ones compiled on Linux for Linux)
    on Windows.

    The Cygwin distribution can easily be downloaded from Red Hat at
    http://www.cygwin.com
    Commercial application that want to use the cygwin library can also
    license just the base libraries so that they don't have to ask users
    to install cygwin.

    > > There are even indicators that, thanks to desktop virtualization,
    > > there are almost 6 Linux/Unix desktop deployments for every 4 Windows
    > > Vista copies actually deployed to end-users.

    > You might want to clarify that, because it makes no sense to me as it
    > stands.

    Remember, there is a huge base of Windows systems that can be
    "enhanced with Linux". Meanwhile, there are only a very small number
    of Vista machines being produced and shipped as Vista machines.

    Microsoft claims that they have "shipped" 180 million Vista licenses.
    Web Browser statistics and other indicators seem to show that only
    about 60-80 million were actually deployed as Vista. The rest may
    have been deployed as Windows XP.

    Meanwhile, Apple has deployed about 40 million OS/X machines. The
    Linux deployment estimates are pretty much all over the map, because
    anybody who really knows how many Linux deployments there are, like
    Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, E-Bay, and other sites who have huge bases
    of registered users using both Linux AND Windows (sometimes both on
    the same machine at the same time) are being very tight-lipped about
    the whole thing.

    Some good hints however, are the way Google has been supporting the
    Linux desktop, offering software and web content that is very Linux
    friendly, and encouraging their advertisers to do likewise.

    Another good hint is Microsoft's almost rabid paranoia around Linux.
    With Apple taking 20% of the top OEM market, and moving into number 3
    position among the OEMs, it's Linux that Ballmer named as Microsoft's
    biggest single threat. Linux and Open Source are named as key threats
    in Microsoft's SEC filings as well, even though they are vey coy about
    not quantifying that threat.

    But let's say that Microsoft actually did get 80 million deployments
    of Windows. All Linux would have to deploy by end users, including
    all of the configurations I have suggested (Cygwin, Virtualized, Dual
    Boot, multiple PC, desktop server,...) would be a mere 120 million
    deployments. That's less than 12 percent of the whole market.

    The WinTrolls love to cite their flawed survey of PCs running ActiveX
    controls that will report a system's configuration, and claim that
    somehow Linux only has 0.8% of the market. That's probably accurate,
    only about 2% of the Linux desktops would be capable of running the
    ActiveX control.

    Even my favorite Web statistics is flawed, because it only counts IPv4
    addresses based on the web server log.

    If anybody has a good survey that is based on cookies, especially
    persistent cookies (which would still be undercounted since Konqueror
    warns people not to allow persistent cookies) or logged in users, I
    would be very interested in seeing those statistics.

  12. Re: Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    On Aug 6, 2:50 pm, The Ghost In The Machine
    wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rex Ballard
    >

    > > Inhttp://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
    > > I get
    > > Vista 11.5% 1 in 10 users after 18 months (XP had 33% after 18
    > > months).
    > > Linux+Other is about 9%
    > > Mac is 4.8%

    > All of these figures are extremely suspect -- although I
    > can't say how to make them better.

    Actually, they are suspect. They only count IP addresses, which means
    that Windows users who use DHCP assigned public addresses will be
    overcounted, and Linux users who are more security concious and use a
    NAT router that can retain the same IP address for months, are
    undercounted.

    > The problem is that www.w3schools.comis a self-selected sample, and as any
    > serious pollster can tell you, one can draw no conclusions
    > from such regarding the superset of that sample.

    Ironically, it's a bigger sample than you might think. W3schools is
    the site that provides the tutorials for pretty much every aspect of
    the web from sending http to writing HTML to PHP to XML and Ajax
    tutorials. Of course, one of their most popular links is the browser
    survey, which is one of the first listed in the google target "Browser
    Statistics".

    > For all we know bots are hitting w3schools.

    It's possible, however, since this only counts IP addresses, the bot
    would only need to send one message per week to show up in the count.
    Not exactly a swarm the extra hits from the same IP address wouldn't
    change the count at all.

    > The same problem presumably plagues hitslink.

    Hitslink, which is so popular among the wintrolls, requires that the
    browser load and execute an ActiveX control. One can see why the
    Linux count might be a bit low.

    > >> Linux is an enormous failure as a consumer product, and would have been
    > >> killed off years ago if a return on investment was required.

    > > Linux on the DESKTOP has faced the full force of Microsoft's $40
    > > billion in leveragaged advertizing revenue,
    > > $40 billion in OEM and Corporate revenue which fund a $4 billion/year
    > > legal and settlements fund.

    > True, and it's still doing remarkably well, regardless.
    > I also suspect that many Windows-side desktops are in
    > fact dual-boots (certainly three of mine are, although
    > I do not boot into Windows that often).

    The big trend these days is Virtualization. Furthermore, VMWare has
    made it much easier to generate a Windows "appliance" from your
    existing PC configuration, then install Linux as the Native OS, and
    then run Windows as the VM. That way, you only need the dog-slow
    Windows system when you absolutely have to run some Windows
    application or utility that isn't available on Linux.

    > > According tohttp://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    > > FireFox has 42.6% of the market, which could be as many as 800 million
    > > PCs (since many FF users also use IE and both would be counted in this
    > > survey).

    > Same problem. Still, Firefox does seem to have carved out a
    > hefty niche; it might even best IE8. Microsoft might have
    > a slight problem here....

    Open Office is not doing too shabby either. The thing that makes
    these numbers interesting is that if you figure that all of the FF
    users are also using IE, that could mean that Linux could be on 80% of
    the machines. Assuming 1.2 billion machines, if IE was installed on
    all 1.2 billion, and FF was installed on 800 million machines, that
    would make a total "count" of 2 billion combinations. FF would be on
    40% and IE would be on 60% of the 2 billion. So in reality, FF would
    be on 800 million of 1.2 billion machines, or just over 60%.

    Going back to the w3schools survey again, the similar "double
    counting" occurs in that survey. If you have 2 billion combinations,
    and 220 million of those combinations are Linux (11%), but there are
    really only 1 billion machines out there, thout would mean 22% of the
    actual machines were running Linux at least some portion of the time.

    Of course, since the Linux NAT addresses are hiding more machines, it
    could be 33% or more.

  13. Re: [Rival] Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    wrote
    <2634420.0C8Ky4o2O3@schestowitz.com>:

    > ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Wednesday 06 August 2008 18:50 : \____
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rex Ballard
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Wed, 6 Aug 2008 07:36:25 -0700 (PDT)
    >> :

    >>> In http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
    >>> I get
    >>> Vista 11.5% 1 in 10 users after 18 months (XP had 33% after 18
    >>> months).
    >>> Linux+Other is about 9%
    >>> Mac is 4.8%

    >> All of these figures are extremely suspect -- although I
    >> can't say how to make them better. The problem is that
    >> www.w3schools.com is a self-selected sample, and as any
    >> serious pollster can tell you, one can draw no conclusions
    >> from such regarding the superset of that sample.
    >>
    >> For all we know bots are hitting w3schools.
    >>
    >> The same problem presumably plagues hitslink.

    > Yes, every so-called 'survey'. It's just one among the many reasons why these
    > stats cannot be trusted.

    Indeed.[*]

    > See:
    >
    > Is Linux Getting the Shaft?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | As I recently reported, there is an order of magnitude difference between the
    > | market share of Linux "out there" in the world, and the market share of LInux
    > | on Scienceblogs.com and on this very blog. Subsequently, I was trolled by my
    > | very own brother "... so, when is Luniux going to reach 1% market share?...."
    > | and this item has come out on ZDNet (which we all know is essentially funded
    > | by Microsoft, right?): Linux - Still chasing that elusive 1% market share.
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | So I went and looked. Here is the description of the database used by the
    > | Market Share service that everyone seems to rely on:
    > |

    > | * * We collect data from the browsers of site visitors to our exclusive
    > | * * on-demand network of live stats customers. The data is compiled from
    > | * * approximately 160 million visitors per month. The information published
    > | * * is an aggregate of the data from this network of hosted website
    > | * * statistics. The site unique visitor and referral information is
    > | * * summarized on a monthly basis.
    > |
    > | WTF?
    > |
    > | Is this supposed to be some kind of unbiased sample? But wait, there's
    > | more...
    > |
    > | [More jaw-dropping s*ite]
    > |

    > | [...]
    > |
    > | The complexity of this problem is actually rather large. But I can tell you
    > | one thing: If you were my graduate student and you came to me with this
    > | sampling strategy, I'd send you back to kindergarten. (If I had that power.)
    > `----
    >
    > http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/20...nt=channellink

    >>> Linux on the DESKTOP has faced the full force of Microsoft's $40
    >>> billion in leveragaged advertizing revenue,
    >>> $40 billion in OEM and Corporate revenue which fund a $4 billion/year
    >>> legal and settlements fund.

    >> True, and it's still doing remarkably well, regardless.
    >> I also suspect that many Windows-side desktops are in
    >> fact dual-boots (certainly three of mine are, although
    >> I do not boot into Windows that often).

    > Some people use Live CDs.

    Hmm....yes, another option, at that.

    >>> Meanwhile, Linux APPLIANCES number in the Billions. There are now
    >>> almost 2 Linux devices for every Windows desktop on the planet.
    >>> Routers, TiVo, HDTV, WiFi hubs, and so on. Linux/Unix also provides
    >>> cable DVRs, as well as PayPerView servers. Nearly EVERY Windows
    >>> desktop user couldn't function if they didn't have access to Linux
    >>> servers such as Google, Amazon, E-trade, and numerous other Linux
    >>> based servers. Even Microsoft's web sites depend on Linux for load
    >>> buffering and load balancing.
    >>>
    >>> Of course, one of the big spin-offs of Linux was the widespread
    >>> acceptance of Open Source Software.
    >>>
    >>> According to http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    >>> FireFox has 42.6% of the market, which could be as many as 800 million
    >>> PCs (since many FF users also use IE and both would be counted in this
    >>> survey).

    >> Same problem. Still, Firefox does seem to have carved out a
    >> hefty niche; it might even best IE8. Microsoft might have
    >> a slight problem here....

    > With the European Commission? For sure. They already play dirty.

    Actually, the problem may be far larger. I'm referring
    to the actual users, not just the EUC attempting to
    work on behalf thereof (though the EUC's efforts are no
    doubt appreciated somewhere in Europe -- the DoJ here
    is embroiled in a bit of a scandal so I don't know how
    effective they'll be).

    In other words...Microsoft is going to be a wee bit
    embarrassed if their beautiful flagship browser gets
    upstaged by something which (in their minds) should have up
    and died because of lack of air supply 5 or so years back.

    But instead of dying, Firefox is giving them a massive headache. ;-)

    >>> There are at least 1/2 billion Open Office deployments in the field
    >>> today worldwide.
    >>>
    >>> And in less than 6 months, ASUS sold 18 million Linux powered EEE PCs.
    >>>
    >>> Wouldn't it be funny if ASUS with it's EEE PCs suddenly bumped it's
    >>> way into the top 10 or even the top 5?
    >>>
    >>> Notice that when users were given the choice between Linux and
    >>> Windows, Linux EEEs outsold Windows EEEs 6 to 4.
    >>>
    >>> There are even indicators that, thanks to desktop virtualization,
    >>> there are almost 6 Linux/Unix desktop deployments for every 4 Windows
    >>> Vista copies actually deployed to end-users.

    > - --
    > ~~ Best of wishes
    >
    > Roy S. Schestowitz | Play Othello: http://othellomaster.com
    > http://Schestowitz.com | GNU/Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
    > Mem: 2075800k total, 1610856k used, 464944k free, 52860k buffers
    > http://iuron.com - next generation of search paradigms

    [*] At the risk of being off topic, even traditional
    polling may not be working quite right, as a fair
    percentage of the US population is shifting off the
    traditional land line and going mobile exclusively.
    These tend to be younger and more sophisticated
    individuals.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #992381111:
    while(bit&BITMASK) ;

  14. Re: Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    Rex Ballard writes:

    > On Aug 6, 2:50 pm, The Ghost In The Machine
    > wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rex Ballard
    >>

    >> > Inhttp://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
    >> > I get
    >> > Vista 11.5% 1 in 10 users after 18 months (XP had 33% after 18
    >> > months).
    >> > Linux+Other is about 9%
    >> > Mac is 4.8%

    >> All of these figures are extremely suspect -- although I
    >> can't say how to make them better.

    > Actually, they are suspect. They only count IP addresses, which means
    > that Windows users who use DHCP assigned public addresses will be
    > overcounted, and Linux users who are more security concious and use a
    > NAT router that can retain the same IP address for months, are
    > undercounted.

    I've heard it all now!

  15. Re: [Rival] Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.

    wrote
    on Wed, 6 Aug 2008 16:01:46 -0400
    <153t8y6bujxb0.1hdbcsnfk0xpj$.dlg@40tude.net>:
    > On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 20:27:50 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> Yes, every so-called 'survey'. It's just one among the many reasons why these
    >> stats cannot be trusted. See:

    > Except when the stats show Linux in good fashion and then magically Linux
    > market share can suddenly be measured.

    Please indicate how the following can be accurately
    measured, and what the measurement should be.
    Do *not* include self-selected surveys.

    [1] A Linux native desktop box, connected to the Internet.
    (This one should be a gimme.)

    [2] A Linux native desktop box, *not* connected to the Internet
    (though it might be connected to a corporate WAN).

    [3] A Linux multiboot desktop box.

    [4] A coLinux or other such installation. (www.colinux.org)

    [5] A Windows, MacOSX, or other such box running Linux in VmWare,
    QEMU, or other such emulation software.

    [6] A Linux/MACOSX EFI splitboot. This apparently is
    possible; one core runs one OS and another core runs
    the other. Presumably a hotkey can switch between
    them, and there is a well-defined communications system
    between the two.

    [7] A Linux native desktop box running several VmWare, QEMU or UML
    instances, each running a Linux kernel.

    [8] A Linux native desktop box running several VmWare or QEMU instances, each
    running a Windows image (with appropriate licensing), a FreeBSD
    image, a HURD image, a ReactOS image, or another non-Linux image.

    [9] A Linux native desktop box which runs WinE and Windows software
    such as Microsoft Exchange, IE, Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.

    [10] A Linux native desktop box which is serving as a firewall for
    downstream Windows boxes.

    [11] A Linux native server box, connected to the Internet.
    (For purposes of this discussion, a server box is a box
    primarily intended to near-simultaneously service
    multiple users. Things do get very fuzzy here.)

    [12] A Linux native server box, not connected to the Internet
    (but connected to a corporate WAN).

    [rest snipped]

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #992381111:
    while(bit&BITMASK) ;

  16. Re: Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron

    wrote
    on Wed, 06 Aug 2008 23:29:59 +0200
    :
    > Rex Ballard writes:
    >
    >> On Aug 6, 2:50 pm, The Ghost In The Machine
    >> wrote:
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rex Ballard

    >>> All of these figures are extremely suspect -- although I
    >>> can't say how to make them better.

    >> Actually, they are suspect. They only count IP addresses, which means
    >> that Windows users who use DHCP assigned public addresses will be
    >> overcounted, and Linux users who are more security concious and use a
    >> NAT router that can retain the same IP address for months, are
    >> undercounted.

    > I've heard it all now!

    Do not trust these figures. I've seen as low as 0.41%
    for Linux, though admittedly that was for a couple of
    years back. For its part hitslink likes 0.8%. (This is
    installbase, not yearly units sold; apparently Linux
    factors higher amongst the latter, which means we'll
    be seeing an increase soon enough, assuming hitslink's
    sampling is sufficiently unbiased, which it probably
    isn't.)

    There are also issues as to the market subsegment.
    Linux is apparently doing very well in small portable
    devices, where its presence is well-nigh invisible (one
    only sees the GUI unless one is a hardcore developer).
    Desktop Linux is languishing, but then so is the desktop
    market generally, apparently. Gaming consoles are a weird
    special case; XBox is doing well there though Wii took the
    cake not because of technical superiority, but because of
    interface newness, elegance, and simplicity.

    As for IP/DHCP, that factors into the entire question
    regarding identity, and I for one would hope that as
    soon as we convert to IPv6 that every box get a unique,
    generally non-changing identity (though moving, say,
    a laptop from WAN to WAN is going to generate a lot of
    router headaches), relegating DHCP to the antiques pile.

    I don't see that happening, though.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #104392:
    for(int i = 0; i < 1000000; i++) sleep(0);

  17. Re: Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    Rex Ballard wrote:
    > On Aug 6, 2:50 pm, The Ghost In The Machine
    > wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rex Ballard
    >>

    >>> Inhttp://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
    >>> I get
    >>> Vista 11.5% 1 in 10 users after 18 months (XP had 33% after 18
    >>> months).
    >>> Linux+Other is about 9%
    >>> Mac is 4.8%

    >> All of these figures are extremely suspect -- although I
    >> can't say how to make them better.

    > Actually, they are suspect. They only count IP addresses, which means
    > that Windows users who use DHCP assigned public addresses will be
    > overcounted, and Linux users who are more security concious and use a
    > NAT router that can retain the same IP address for months, are
    > undercounted.

    This is such BS nonsense it's unbelievable that anyone would even grasp
    at straws like this. I am just as security conscious with either
    platform sitting behind my FW appliance, and you'll notice, I didn't say
    NAT router. Many Windows users have machines sitting behind a border
    device like a NAT router.

    >> The problem is that www.w3schools.comis a self-selected sample, and as any
    >> serious pollster can tell you, one can draw no conclusions
    >> from such regarding the superset of that sample.

    > Ironically, it's a bigger sample than you might think. W3schools is
    > the site that provides the tutorials for pretty much every aspect of
    > the web from sending http to writing HTML to PHP to XML and Ajax
    > tutorials. Of course, one of their most popular links is the browser
    > survey, which is one of the first listed in the google target "Browser
    > Statistics".

    SO?

    >> For all we know bots are hitting w3schools.

    > It's possible, however, since this only counts IP addresses, the bot
    > would only need to send one message per week to show up in the count.
    > Not exactly a swarm the extra hits from the same IP address wouldn't
    > change the count at all.

    This is more garbage out of you, you cannot prove it.

    >> The same problem presumably plagues hitslink.

    > Hitslink, which is so popular among the wintrolls, requires that the
    > browser load and execute an ActiveX control. One can see why the
    > Linux count might be a bit low.

    Man, this more garbage out of you, you cannot prove it.

    >>> Linux on the DESKTOP has faced the full force of Microsoft's $40
    >>> billion in leveragaged advertizing revenue,
    >>> $40 billion in OEM and Corporate revenue which fund a $4 billion/year
    >>> legal and settlements fund.

    >> True, and it's still doing remarkably well, regardless.
    >> I also suspect that many Windows-side desktops are in
    >> fact dual-boots (certainly three of mine are, although
    >> I do not boot into Windows that often).

    Again, this is absolute non-sense and reaching for the straws. I know
    people that have not even heard of Linux. They don't even know what
    Linux is, is about or that it even exist.

    They got problems enough just turning on a computer. Many, many and many
    home users are in that situation and who they have heard of is MS and
    Apple, not Linux. So for you to sit there and say many machine are in a
    dual-boot situation is total non-sense.

    > The big trend these days is Virtualization. Furthermore, VMWare has
    > made it much easier to generate a Windows "appliance" from your
    > existing PC configuration, then install Linux as the Native OS, and
    > then run Windows as the VM. That way, you only need the dog-slow
    > Windows system when you absolutely have to run some Windows
    > application or utility that isn't available on Linux.

    They are doing the same thing on the Windows platform with PC2007.

    >>> According tohttp://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    >>> FireFox has 42.6% of the market, which could be as many as 800 million
    >>> PCs (since many FF users also use IE and both would be counted in this
    >>> survey).

    >> Same problem. Still, Firefox does seem to have carved out a
    >> hefty niche; it might even best IE8. Microsoft might have
    >> a slight problem here....

    > Open Office is not doing too shabby either. The thing that makes
    > these numbers interesting is that if you figure that all of the FF
    > users are also using IE, that could mean that Linux could be on 80% of
    > the machines. Assuming 1.2 billion machines, if IE was installed on
    > all 1.2 billion, and FF was installed on 800 million machines, that
    > would make a total "count" of 2 billion combinations. FF would be on
    > 40% and IE would be on 60% of the 2 billion. So in reality, FF would
    > be on 800 million of 1.2 billion machines, or just over 60%.

    WTH are talking about? This is absolute garbage and pulling straws out
    your ass justification. This is total nonsense.

    > Going back to the w3schools survey again, the similar "double
    > counting" occurs in that survey. If you have 2 billion combinations,
    > and 220 million of those combinations are Linux (11%), but there are
    > really only 1 billion machines out there, thout would mean 22% of the
    > actual machines were running Linux at least some portion of the time.

    Prove it this is straws out of your ass accounting.

    > Of course, since the Linux NAT addresses are hiding more machines, it
    > could be 33% or more.

    You need to be kicked in your ass. Maybe, some kind of commonsense will
    flow to your head.

    The clowns in Linux advocacy are on another planet. It must be planet
    Linux, because it's not Earth.

  18. Re: Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 14:08:41 -0700 (PDT), Rex Ballard wrote:

    > Actually, they are suspect. They only count IP addresses, which means
    > that Windows users who use DHCP assigned public addresses will be
    > overcounted, and Linux users who are more security concious and use a
    > NAT router that can retain the same IP address for months, are
    > undercounted.

    Huh?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  19. Re: Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 13:47:36 -0700, Rex Ballard wrote:

    > Microsoft claims that they have "shipped" 180 million Vista licenses.
    > Web Browser statistics and other indicators seem to show that only about
    > 60-80 million were actually deployed as Vista. The rest may have been
    > deployed as Windows XP.

    Do they have to report real numbers like this to the SEC?

    -Thufir

  20. Re: Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Confused Donkey

    wrote
    on Wed, 06 Aug 2008 17:48:57 -0400
    :
    > Rex Ballard wrote:
    >> On Aug 6, 2:50 pm, The Ghost In The Machine
    >> wrote:
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rex Ballard

    >>> All of these figures are extremely suspect -- although I
    >>> can't say how to make them better.

    >> Actually, they are suspect. They only count IP addresses, which means
    >> that Windows users who use DHCP assigned public addresses will be
    >> overcounted, and Linux users who are more security concious and use a
    >> NAT router that can retain the same IP address for months, are
    >> undercounted.
    >>

    > This is such BS nonsense it's unbelievable that anyone would even grasp
    > at straws like this. I am just as security conscious with either
    > platform sitting behind my FW appliance, and you'll notice, I didn't say
    > NAT router. Many Windows users have machines sitting behind a border
    > device like a NAT router.

    All users should have a NAT router. ;-) For starters,
    it blocks almost all of the packet-attacking malbots.

    >>> The problem is that www.w3schools.comis a self-selected sample, and as any
    >>> serious pollster can tell you, one can draw no conclusions
    >>> from such regarding the superset of that sample.

    >> Ironically, it's a bigger sample than you might think. W3schools is
    >> the site that provides the tutorials for pretty much every aspect of
    >> the web from sending http to writing HTML to PHP to XML and Ajax
    >> tutorials. Of course, one of their most popular links is the browser
    >> survey, which is one of the first listed in the google target "Browser
    >> Statistics".

    > SO?

    Indeed. w3schools is still self-selected, and therefore suspect.

    >>> For all we know bots are hitting w3schools.

    >> It's possible, however, since this only counts IP addresses, the bot
    >> would only need to send one message per week to show up in the count.
    >> Not exactly a swarm the extra hits from the same IP address wouldn't
    >> change the count at all.
    >>

    > This is more garbage out of you, you cannot prove it.

    w3schools does not provide sufficient data for him to prove it.

    >>> The same problem presumably plagues hitslink.

    >> Hitslink, which is so popular among the wintrolls, requires that the
    >> browser load and execute an ActiveX control. One can see why the
    >> Linux count might be a bit low.

    > Man, this more garbage out of you, you cannot prove it.

    I'd be surprised hitslink requires such anyway. Linux cannot
    run ActiveX without a lot of extra machinery.

    >>> True, and it's still doing remarkably well, regardless.
    >>> I also suspect that many Windows-side desktops are in
    >>> fact dual-boots (certainly three of mine are, although
    >>> I do not boot into Windows that often).

    > Again, this is absolute non-sense and reaching for the straws. I know
    > people that have not even heard of Linux.

    Most people haven't heard of Linux, and some probably don't even
    care that the stuff on their magic box is Windows Vista. Click
    an icon, things happen, it all works nicely.

    (Except when it doesn't.)

    > They don't even know what
    > Linux is, is about or that it even exist.
    >
    > They got problems enough just turning on a computer. Many, many and many
    > home users are in that situation and who they have heard of is MS and
    > Apple, not Linux. So for you to sit there and say many machine are in a
    > dual-boot situation is total non-sense.

    I wouldn't know, and I doubt anyone can seriously measure it.

    >> The big trend these days is Virtualization. Furthermore, VMWare has
    >> made it much easier to generate a Windows "appliance" from your
    >> existing PC configuration, then install Linux as the Native OS, and
    >> then run Windows as the VM. That way, you only need the dog-slow
    >> Windows system when you absolutely have to run some Windows
    >> application or utility that isn't available on Linux.
    >>

    > They are doing the same thing on the Windows platform with PC2007.

    "They" who? The idiots who can't tell Linux from wine mix?
    Windows from one's clothes? Computer OS from bedroom
    prowess? Keyboard from just plain bored? Plastic mouse
    on the tabletop versus furry mice underfoot?

    >>> Same problem. Still, Firefox does seem to have carved out a
    >>> hefty niche; it might even best IE8. Microsoft might have
    >>> a slight problem here....

    >> Open Office is not doing too shabby either. The thing that makes
    >> these numbers interesting is that if you figure that all of the FF
    >> users are also using IE, that could mean that Linux could be on 80% of
    >> the machines. Assuming 1.2 billion machines, if IE was installed on
    >> all 1.2 billion, and FF was installed on 800 million machines, that
    >> would make a total "count" of 2 billion combinations. FF would be on
    >> 40% and IE would be on 60% of the 2 billion. So in reality, FF would
    >> be on 800 million of 1.2 billion machines, or just over 60%.

    > WTH are talking about? This is absolute garbage and pulling straws out
    > your ass justification. This is total nonsense.

    Not to mention that Firefox users on Windows have made a conscious
    decision *not* to use IE.

    >> Going back to the w3schools survey again, the similar "double
    >> counting" occurs in that survey. If you have 2 billion combinations,
    >> and 220 million of those combinations are Linux (11%), but there are
    >> really only 1 billion machines out there, thout would mean 22% of the
    >> actual machines were running Linux at least some portion of the time.

    > Prove it this is straws out of your ass accounting.
    >>
    >> Of course, since the Linux NAT addresses are hiding more machines, it
    >> could be 33% or more.
    >>

    > You need to be kicked in your ass. Maybe, some kind of commonsense will
    > flow to your head.
    >
    > The clowns in Linux advocacy are on another planet. It must be planet
    > Linux, because it's not Earth.

    It is, on occasion. ;-) But some of the Winvocates are from Wierdsville
    around here, too.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net