Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Drives People MAD - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Drives People MAD - Linux ; In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote on Wed, 6 Aug 2008 18:12:17 -0400 : > On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 14:08:41 -0700 (PDT), Rex Ballard wrote: > > >> Actually, they are suspect. They only count IP addresses, which means >> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 37 of 37

  1. Re: Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    <6yzne64usikh.1pxpk8urygxsm.dlg@40tude.net>:
    > On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 14:08:41 -0700 (PDT), Rex Ballard wrote:
    >

    >> Actually, they are suspect. They only count IP addresses, which means
    >> that Windows users who use DHCP assigned public addresses will be
    >> overcounted, and Linux users who are more security concious and use a
    >> NAT router that can retain the same IP address for months, are
    >> undercounted.

    > Huh?

    Rex is making the implicit claim that Windows crashes
    more often. Each restart (regardless of OS) makes another
    DHCP request; depending on how the ISP's address allocation
    system is set up, one might get the same IP address as
    before, or a completely different one.

    Note that Earthlink (in my area, anyway) requires a NAT
    router in front, and therefore Windows can sit in back
    of it with some confidence that the malbots can't throw
    too many things at it -- unless Exchange or IE invites
    them in by throwing out a request to a website that will
    surreptitiously install things on one's system.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #992381111:
    while(bit&BITMASK) ;

  2. Re: Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    wrote:
    >Hitslink, which is so popular among the wintrolls, requires that the
    >browser load and execute an ActiveX control. One can see why the
    >Linux count might be a bit low.

    Yeah, right. You are now officially the most idiotic COLA poster.

  3. Re: Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    OK wrote:

    > On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 14:08:41 -0700 (PDT), Rex Ballard
    > wrote:
    >>Hitslink, which is so popular among the wintrolls, requires that the
    >>browser load and execute an ActiveX control. One can see why the
    >>Linux count might be a bit low.

    > Yeah, right. You are now officially the most idiotic COLA poster.

    Impossible.
    There are *several* ahead of him

    Snot/Snit/Michael Glasser
    Moshe flatfish Gary Stewart
    DumbFull****
    Hadron Quark
    Otto Kaiser (OK)
    --
    Subtlety is the art of saying what you think and getting out of the way
    before it is understood.

  4. Re: Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 01:53:27 +0200, Peter Köhlmann wrote:

    > OK wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 14:08:41 -0700 (PDT), Rex Ballard
    >> wrote:
    >>>Hitslink, which is so popular among the wintrolls, requires that the
    >>>browser load and execute an ActiveX control. One can see why the
    >>>Linux count might be a bit low.

    >> Yeah, right. You are now officially the most idiotic COLA poster.

    > Impossible.
    > There are *several* ahead of him
    >
    > Snot/Snit/Michael Glasser
    > Moshe flatfish Gary Stewart
    > DumbFull****
    > Hadron Quark
    > Otto Kaiser (OK)

    I am not Gary Stewart...
    My name is Moshe Goldffarb, for better or worse.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: [Rival] Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    On Aug 6, 8:00*am, "DFS" wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > > There are fewer article about Vista these days. Nobody cares about it.

    > Vista: 17% (1 in 6 users) market share after 18 months of availability
    > Linux: 1% (1 in 100 users) market share after 17 years of availability
    >
    > Linux is an enormous failure as a consumer product, and would have been
    > killed off years ago if a return on investment was required.

    Vista is the future. Get used to it because Vista is here to stay. And
    unlike Linux, Vista will gain market share.

    Regards

  6. Re: [Rival] Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, shmell_dakaka@hotmail.com

    wrote
    on Wed, 6 Aug 2008 17:06:25 -0700 (PDT)
    <73f35397-4f13-4614-b690-4ca8319a7a36@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com>:
    > On Aug 6, 8:00*am, "DFS" wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> > There are fewer article about Vista these days. Nobody cares about it.

    >> Vista: 17% (1 in 6 users) market share after 18 months of availability
    >> Linux: 1% (1 in 100 users) market share after 17 years of availability
    >>
    >> Linux is an enormous failure as a consumer product, and would have been
    >> killed off years ago if a return on investment was required.

    > Vista is the future. Get used to it because Vista is here to stay. And
    > unlike Linux, Vista will gain market share.
    >
    > Regards

    It already has. The question is: is it growing fast
    enough? Computer equipment should be replaced every 3
    years in the business community; that suggests that as
    of now Vista should occupy 50% of all business desktops
    which have some variant of Windows.

    That it does not is presumably rather troubling,
    from Microsoft's standpoint.

    Google coughed up

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Vista...ux-91311.shtml

    which is apparently using hitslink data to draw some
    mildly interesting conclusions. At present,

    http://news.softpedia.com/newsImage/...nd-Linux-5.jpg

    suggests Vista is only 16.93% of the total market, which
    works out to be 18.60% of the Windows subpart (including
    CE, 98, 95, etc.), despite the fact that Vista has been
    out for a year and a half.

    At this rate, it will only take about
    (100/18.6) * (1.5) = 8 years
    to replace every Windows desktop with some sort of Vista,
    assuming a linear adoption rate, and even longer if one assumes
    asymptotic/exponential adoption rate.

    (Assuming any of this data can be trusted, of course, since it
    is a self-selected sample.)

    I agree, though, Vista (or maybe Windows 7 -- vaporware
    inhalers unite! The grass is always greener on the other
    side...) is the future. It's a pretty sorry future in my
    opinion, though, though Linux isn't really much better in
    the GUI department. The good news: if anyone cares enough,
    one can at least poke around in a distro's source code. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: Not a text file

  7. Re: Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    >> The clowns in Linux advocacy are on another planet. It must be planet
    >> Linux, because it's not Earth.

    > It is, on occasion. ;-) But some of the Winvocates are from Wierdsville
    > around here, too.

    This the most twisted, messed up and ridiculous NG I have ever seen,
    with Machine Gun Posting Roy, Family Kholmann that pushes his family,
    Butt Kissing Linonut, Princess Poaster a low-life, Low Plains Thumpy,
    Rex Linatard, *7* from some unknown planet, Chris(V)icious aka The
    Plonker etc, etc the insanity list is long as they bomb and scrape this
    NG everyday.

    Everyone on them should be locked-up.

  8. Re: [Rival] Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    Rex Ballard wrote:
    > On Aug 6, 8:00 am, "DFS" wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> There are fewer article about Vista these days. Nobody cares about
    >>> it.

    >> Vista: 17% (1 in 6 users) market share after 18 months of
    >> availability Linux: 1% (1 in 100 users) market share after 17 years
    >> of availability

    > In http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
    > I get
    > Vista 11.5% 1 in 10 users after 18 months (XP had 33% after 18
    > months).
    > Linux+Other is about 9%
    > Mac is 4.8%

    As usual, you lie every time you open your mouth:

    There is no "Other":
    Windows 91.0%
    Mac 4.8%
    Linux 3.9%
    Total 99.7%

    One site with a narrow technical focus is a totally invalid sample, whereas
    marketshare.hitslink.com and www.bbc.co.uk, both of which capture huge
    populations of users, each peg Linux at 0.8%.

    >> Linux is an enormous failure as a consumer product, and would have
    >> been killed off years ago if a return on investment was required.

    > Linux on the DESKTOP has faced the full force of Microsoft's $40
    > billion in leveragaged advertizing revenue,
    > $40 billion in OEM and Corporate revenue which fund a $4 billion/year
    > legal and settlements fund.

    So has Firefox and it has succeeded wildly. But Linux on the desktop is a
    gigantic flop, with untold hundreds of $millions in development costs
    incurred by millions (so you guys say) contributing to it, but used by
    hardly anybody.

    > Meanwhile, Linux APPLIANCES number in the Billions. There are now
    > almost 2 Linux devices for every Windows desktop on the planet.
    > Routers, TiVo, HDTV, WiFi hubs, and so on.

    uh huh. I'm sure some 3rd party proof of your wild-ass claims will be
    coming along *real soon now*.

    > Linux/Unix also provides
    > cable DVRs, as well as PayPerView servers.

    The Top 10 price-performance systems all run Windows Server and SQL Server.

    http://www.tpc.org/tpce/tpce_price_perf_results.asp

    > Nearly EVERY Windows
    > desktop user couldn't function if they didn't have access to Linux
    > servers such as Google, Amazon, E-trade, and numerous other Linux
    > based servers.

    huh? Windows desktops functioned well for many years before those sites
    appeared.

    > Even Microsoft's web sites depend on Linux for load
    > buffering and load balancing.

    Prove it.

    > Of course, one of the big spin-offs of Linux was the widespread
    > acceptance of Open Source Software.

    Not because it's open source - only because a product may be good. Firefox
    is good - Gimp is not. Firefox is widely used - Gimp is not. See how that
    works?

    > According to http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    > FireFox has 42.6% of the market, which could be as many as 800 million
    > PCs (since many FF users also use IE and both would be counted in this
    > survey).

    More bull****. 43 in 100 users do NOT run Firefox (though 43 in 100 that
    browse that site do).

    > There are at least 1/2 billion Open Office deployments in the field
    > today worldwide.

    Who knows how many deployments - download <> usage. I've downloaded at
    least 10 copies/versions of OpenOffice over the last few years. I have one
    installed, and I only use it for laughs.

    > And in less than 6 months, ASUS sold 18 million Linux powered EEE PCs.

    You'd love it if your bull**** and lies were true... but almost nothing you
    say bears resemblance to reality. The fact is, you can barely type a single
    sentence without a lie or a huge exaggeration. You call it being a
    "Visionary For The Linux Community".

    "He said Asustek will still reach its target of 5 million [EeePC] units by
    the end of this year,"
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...hortage_1.html

    And now that you've been shown up as a hysterical liar - by me, for the
    100th time at least - you'll ignore this and slink away but pop back up soon
    with more lies and bull****. You're by far the worst troll ever to inhabit
    cola: you make inane posts with no intention of stopping.

    There's no other way to say it: you're a child Rex. A 50-year old man-child
    slinging idiocy because the truth is too mundane and won't get you the
    attention your inner child craves. No adult regularly takes a statistic and
    randomly triples or quadruples it and posts it as if it's fact.

    Note: no insult intended - this is just my interpretation of your psychology
    and behavior.

    > Wouldn't it be funny if ASUS with it's EEE PCs suddenly bumped it's
    > way into the top 10 or even the top 5?

    Top 10 what?

    > Notice that when users were given the choice between Linux and
    > Windows, Linux EEEs outsold Windows EEEs 6 to 4.

    I didn't notice that. Prove it. away">

    > There are even indicators that, thanks to desktop virtualization,
    > there are almost 6 Linux/Unix desktop deployments for every 4 Windows
    > Vista copies actually deployed to end-users.

    Little voices in your head aren't indicators of anything except madness.

  9. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 08:00:11 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> There are fewer article about Vista these days. Nobody cares about
    >>> it.

    >> Vista: 17% (1 in 6 users) market share after 18 months of
    >> availability Linux: 1% (1 in 100 users) market share after 17 years
    >> of availability
    >>
    >> Linux is an enormous failure as a consumer product, and would have
    >> been killed off years ago if a return on investment was required.

    > Think of all the time wasted by end users trying to make Linux work.

    Linux come-on: "Welcome to openSUSE.org...Our goal is to create and
    distribute the world's most usable Linux."
    http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org

    Linux reality: "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week
    of hard work getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815

    LMAO!!! tweaking then say "Linux just works!">

    > If the Linux community would spend less time blaming others for
    > Linux's failure on the desktop

    The powerless, ineffectual little dweebs have their hateful little revenge
    fantasies that MS\Windows will somehow disappear, and Linux will "rise up".

    > and start trying to improve it then
    > Linux might have a chance.

    Tiny, tiny chance. The PC desktop boat sailed back in 1990 (with the
    release of Win3.0) and it was game over a few years later.

    > They can start by listening to what people have been telling them for
    > 17 years instead of crying in their Jolt about Microsoft.

    First thing they need is a competitive office suite. I've used OpenOffice,
    and you sir are no MS Office.

  10. Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 00:28:10 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Vista: 17% (1 in 6 users) market share after 18 months of
    >>> availability Linux: 1% (1 in 100 users) market share after 17 years
    >>> of availability
    >>>
    >>> Linux is an enormous failure as a consumer product, and would have
    >>> been killed off years ago if a return on investment was required.

    >> Think of all the time wasted by end users trying to make Linux work.

    > Linux come-on: "Welcome to openSUSE.org...Our goal is to create and
    > distribute the world's most usable Linux."
    > http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org
    >
    > Linux reality: "My new Toshiba A200 (PSAF1A) works beautifully after a week
    > of hard work getting opensuse 10.3 to work."
    > http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...howtopic=63815
    >
    > LMAO!!! > tweaking then say "Linux just works!">
    >

    >> If the Linux community would spend less time blaming others for
    >> Linux's failure on the desktop

    > The powerless, ineffectual little dweebs have their hateful little revenge
    > fantasies that MS\Windows will somehow disappear, and Linux will "rise up".
    >

    >> and start trying to improve it then
    >> Linux might have a chance.

    > Tiny, tiny chance. The PC desktop boat sailed back in 1990 (with the
    > release of Win3.0) and it was game over a few years later.
    >

    >> They can start by listening to what people have been telling them for
    >> 17 years instead of crying in their Jolt about Microsoft.

    > First thing they need is a competitive office suite. I've used OpenOffice,
    > and you sir are no MS Office.

    Sounds like a bad commercial for Alka Seltzer,,,,,
    IOW, yea we know you drank too much last nite and we will do our best but
    the problem is really you....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    * Hadron peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Rex Ballard writes:
    >
    >> Actually, they are suspect. They only count IP addresses, which means
    >> that Windows users who use DHCP assigned public addresses will be
    >> overcounted, and Linux users who are more security concious and use a
    >> NAT router that can retain the same IP address for months, are
    >> undercounted.

    > I've heard it all now!

    Man, the second time today I'm in agreement with Hadron.

    I do wonder though: We have a static public IP address, but have two
    Linux boxes and a Windows box. So, when we're hitting a site that
    counts such things, how would it count it? The first hit only? Would
    it amend the count based on later hits?

    --
    You will have a long and boring life.

  12. Re: Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    * Confused Donkey peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >>> The clowns in Linux advocacy are on another planet. It must be planet
    >>> Linux, because it's not Earth.

    >> It is, on occasion. ;-) But some of the Winvocates are from Wierdsville
    >> around here, too.

    > This the most twisted, messed up and ridiculous NG I have ever seen,
    > with Machine Gun Posting Roy, Family Kholmann that pushes his family,
    > Butt Kissing Linonut, Princess Poaster a low-life, Low Plains Thumpy,
    > Rex Linatard, *7* from some unknown planet, Chris(V)icious aka The
    > Plonker etc, etc the insanity list is long as they bomb and scrape this
    > NG everyday.
    >
    > Everyone on them should be locked-up.

    Actually, dude, you provide evidence that /supports/ Rex's apparently
    crazy suggestion that Windows machines get over-counted.

    How?

    Because you're posting from Windows, and your IP address keeps changing,
    according to your own giganews headers. Otherwise, I'd never see your
    sorry confused ass again.

    I wondered why I'd see some "Confused Donkey" posts, but not others.

    I wonder if slrn can plonk based on net-mask?

    (By the way, why do trolls say I kiss butt? The very idea is crazy.
    You guys should be kissing my ass, since I give you something to do.)

    --
    I haven't lost my mind; I know exactly where I left it.

  13. Re: Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    Linonut wrote:

    >> Everyone on them should be locked-up.

    > Actually, dude, you provide evidence that /supports/ Rex's apparently
    > crazy suggestion that Windows machines get over-counted.

    Well, stupid do you think it can't happen for a Linux machine on a
    dial-up you clown, which it does fool?

    > How?
    >
    > Because you're posting from Windows, and your IP address keeps changing,
    > according to your own giganews headers. Otherwise, I'd never see your
    > sorry confused ass again.

    So what you ass-hole? The same thing will happen for a dial-up machine
    too that's using Linux that IP will change everytime one dials a
    dial-up ISP, because most of you clowns are broke and would naturally be
    on dial-up instead of DSL or BB using a border device such as a NAT
    router. The very nature of everything being with the Linux platform and
    OPEN BSD, indicates that you clowns have a cash flow problem.

    > I wondered why I'd see some "Confused Donkey" posts, but not others.

    I don't know. You tell me because you're master of your little world.

    > I wonder if slrn can plonk based on net-mask?

    I'll cut through it like a hot knife through butter.

    > (By the way, why do trolls say I kiss butt? The very idea is crazy.
    > You guys should be kissing my ass, since I give you something to do.)

    You are a broke down ass kisser from what I have seen.

  14. Re: Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    * Confused Donkey peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >

    >>> Everyone on them should be locked-up.

    >> Actually, dude, you provide evidence that /supports/ Rex's apparently
    >> crazy suggestion that Windows machines get over-counted.

    > Well, stupid do you think it can't happen for a Linux machine on a
    > dial-up you clown, which it does fool?

    You're on dial-up?

    Poor bastard.

    > So what you ass-hole? The same thing will happen for a dial-up machine
    > too that's using Linux that IP will change everytime one dials a
    > dial-up ISP, because most of you clowns are broke and would naturally be
    > on dial-up instead of DSL or BB using a border device such as a NAT
    > router. The very nature of everything being with the Linux platform and
    > OPEN BSD, indicates that you clowns have a cash flow problem.

    I take the insult above implies that you are /not/ on dial-up, and are
    using other machines as proxies.

    Nice admission. I think you must have confused yourself.

    Surely you wouldn't be insulting yourself the way you insulted Linux
    users above.

    >> I wonder if slrn can plonk based on net-mask?

    > I'll cut through it like a hot knife through butter.

    *LMAO*

    I'll bet /you/ are as soft and round as a pat of butter.

    > You are a broke down ass kisser from what I have seen.

    You misspelled "kicker".

    (C'mon Chris, you said you'd take it to a more positive level.)

    (Maybe later.)

    --
    This is now. Later is later.

  15. Re: Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    Linonut wrote:
    > * Confused Donkey peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Actually, dude, you provide evidence that /supports/ Rex's apparently
    >>> crazy suggestion that Windows machines get over-counted.

    >> Well, stupid do you think it can't happen for a Linux machine on a
    >> dial-up you clown, which it does fool?

    > You're on dial-up?
    >
    > Poor bastard.

    No fool, I am a contract programmer that moves across the US, and I use
    dial-up at times.

    >> So what you ass-hole? The same thing will happen for a dial-up machine
    >> too that's using Linux that IP will change everytime one dials a
    >> dial-up ISP, because most of you clowns are broke and would naturally be
    >> on dial-up instead of DSL or BB using a border device such as a NAT
    >> router. The very nature of everything being with the Linux platform and
    >> OPEN BSD, indicates that you clowns have a cash flow problem.

    > I take the insult above implies that you are /not/ on dial-up, and are
    > using other machines as proxies.

    What? When I go into retirement, then I'll look for free stuff and
    senior citizen discounts, Linux being one of them.

    Why not? You mother****ers using Linux are nothing special.

    >>> I wonder if slrn can plonk based on net-mask?

    >> I'll cut through it like a hot knife through butter.

    > *LMAO*

    But you're so stupid what difference does it make that I cut through
    your *plonk*? You're too damn sorry, and you must see what someone is
    saying about you anyway. You strike me as that type. Or you must be
    prepared to kiss someone's ass, just like you're doing now for old Rex
    here.

    > I'll bet /you/ are as soft and round as a pat of butter.
    >

    >> You are a broke down ass kisser from what I have seen.

    > You misspelled "kicker".

    Snakes like you don't have feet, you just slither and hiss.

    > (C'mon Chris, you said you'd take it to a more positive level.)

    LOL, you are sick **** Ronald McDonald *clown*.

  16. Re: Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    On 2008-08-07, Linonut claimed:
    > * Confused Donkey peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> I wonder if slrn can plonk based on net-mask?

    >> I'll cut through it like a hot knife through butter.

    > *LMAO*

    I kill on user-agent (talking of this instance; I have other methods
    for vermin in addition to that one). Anything with the Windwoes or
    Macintrash strings evaporates before my eyes ever encounters them.

    Do I miss anything? I seriously doubt it. I can't recall much of
    anything with those user-agents having anything other than trollery
    coming from them. Maybe once in a month of Sundays somebody legitimate
    would show up with a Winders client. It's not worth seeing the putrid
    outpouring just for the blue moon post worth reading.

    So, I only see Stupid Ass via proxy. If s/h/it doesn't calm down some
    I'll probably block those, too.

    --
    Whip me. Beat me. Windows ME(tm).

  17. Re: Windows Vista Drives People MAD

    Sinister Midget wrote:

    > So, I only see Stupid Ass via proxy. If s/h/it doesn't calm down some
    > I'll probably block those, too.

    Make sure you get yourself while you're at it