40 million credit cards hacked from companies that use Windowsservers - Linux

This is a discussion on 40 million credit cards hacked from companies that use Windowsservers - Linux ; "Under the indictments, three Miami, Florida, men -- Albert "Segvec" Gonzalez, Christopher Scott and Damon Patrick Toey -- are accused of hacking into the wireless computer networks of retailers including TJX Companies, whose stores include Marshall's and T.J. Maxx, BJ's ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

  1. 40 million credit cards hacked from companies that use Windowsservers

    "Under the indictments, three Miami, Florida, men -- Albert "Segvec"
    Gonzalez, Christopher Scott and Damon Patrick Toey -- are accused of
    hacking into the wireless computer networks of retailers including TJX
    Companies, whose stores include Marshall's and T.J. Maxx, BJ's
    Wholesale Club, OfficeMax, Barnes and Noble and Sports Authority,
    among others."

    http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/05/...ges/index.html

    -RFH

  2. Re: 40 million credit cards hacked from companies that use Windowsservers

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > "Under the indictments, three Miami, Florida, men -- Albert "Segvec"
    > Gonzalez, Christopher Scott and Damon Patrick Toey -- are accused of
    > hacking into the wireless computer networks of retailers including TJX
    > Companies, whose stores include Marshall's and T.J. Maxx, BJ's
    > Wholesale Club, OfficeMax, Barnes and Noble and Sports Authority,
    > among others."
    >
    > http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/05/...ges/index.html
    >
    > -RFH

    One of the entry points was the restaurant chain Dave and Buster's
    which had decided to replace their trusty Solaris server with Windows.
    Bad idea.

    http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...andbusters.com

    -Ramon

  3. Re: 40 million credit cards hacked from companies that use Windows servers

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > "Under the indictments, three Miami, Florida, men -- Albert "Segvec"
    > Gonzalez, Christopher Scott and Damon Patrick Toey -- are accused of
    > hacking into the wireless computer networks of retailers including TJX
    > Companies, whose stores include Marshall's and T.J. Maxx, BJ's
    > Wholesale Club, OfficeMax, Barnes and Noble and Sports Authority,
    > among others."
    >
    > http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/05/...ges/index.html
    >
    > -RFH

    I bet if I do a little digging I can prove you're a STINKING LIAR.

  4. Re: 40 million credit cards hacked from companies that use Windows servers

    * Ramon F Herrera peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > One of the entry points was the restaurant chain Dave and Buster's
    > which had decided to replace their trusty Solaris server with Windows.
    > Bad idea.
    >
    > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...andbusters.com

    Well, as the Windozers always like to say, "You get what you pay for."

    --
    This ae nighte, this ae nighte,
    Everye nighte and alle,

  5. Re: 40 million credit cards hacked from companies that use Windowsservers

    On Aug 5, 8:04 pm, "DFS" wrote:
    > Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > > "Under the indictments, three Miami, Florida, men -- Albert "Segvec"
    > > Gonzalez, Christopher Scott and Damon Patrick Toey -- are accused of
    > > hacking into the wireless computer networks of retailers including TJX
    > > Companies, whose stores include Marshall's and T.J. Maxx, BJ's
    > > Wholesale Club, OfficeMax, Barnes and Noble and Sports Authority,
    > > among others."

    > >http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/05/...ges/index.html

    > > -RFH

    > I bet if I do a little digging I can prove you're a STINKING LIAR.

    You seem to be under the erroneous impression that the CNN
    journalists, to whom your comment must be directed, follow the COLA or
    Mac newsgroups.

    -Ramon

  6. Re: 40 million credit cards hacked from companies that use Windowsservers

    On Aug 5, 8:54*pm, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > "Under the indictments, three Miami, Florida, men -- Albert "Segvec"
    > Gonzalez, Christopher Scott and Damon Patrick Toey -- are accused of
    > hacking into the wireless computer networks of retailers including TJX
    > Companies, whose stores include Marshall's and T.J. Maxx, BJ's
    > Wholesale Club, OfficeMax, Barnes and Noble and Sports Authority,
    > among others."
    >
    > http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/05/...ges/index.html
    >
    > -RFH

    This is a criminal case not a technology case.

    Best regards

  7. Re: 40 million credit cards hacked from companies that use Windowsservers

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > "Under the indictments, three Miami, Florida, men -- Albert "Segvec"
    > Gonzalez, Christopher Scott and Damon Patrick Toey -- are accused of
    > hacking into the wireless computer networks of retailers including TJX
    > Companies, whose stores include Marshall's and T.J. Maxx, BJ's
    > Wholesale Club, OfficeMax, Barnes and Noble and Sports Authority,
    > among others."
    >
    > http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/05/...ges/index.html
    >
    > -RFH

    I searched for the word "Windows" in that article and came up with 0 hits.

    Steve

  8. Re: 40 million credit cards hacked from companies that use Windowsservers

    On Aug 5, 8:21 pm, Steve de Mena wrote:
    > Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >
    > > "Under the indictments, three Miami, Florida, men -- Albert "Segvec"
    > > Gonzalez, Christopher Scott and Damon Patrick Toey -- are accused of
    > > hacking into the wireless computer networks of retailers including TJX
    > > Companies, whose stores include Marshall's and T.J. Maxx, BJ's
    > > Wholesale Club, OfficeMax, Barnes and Noble and Sports Authority,
    > > among others."

    > >http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/05/...ges/index.html

    > > -RFH

    > I searched for the word "Windows" in that article and came up with 0 hits.
    >
    > Steve

    Perhaps somebody in the audience will show you how to find the Windows
    reference that you failed to find.

    One would have to be blind -by nature or by choice- not to find the
    security shortcomings of computer networks managed under a Microsoft
    paradigm.

    -RFH

  9. Re: 40 million credit cards hacked from companies that use Windowsservers

    On Aug 5, 8:20 pm, shmell_dak...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On Aug 5, 8:54 pm, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >
    > > "Under the indictments, three Miami, Florida, men -- Albert "Segvec"
    > > Gonzalez, Christopher Scott and Damon Patrick Toey -- are accused of
    > > hacking into the wireless computer networks of retailers including TJX
    > > Companies, whose stores include Marshall's and T.J. Maxx, BJ's
    > > Wholesale Club, OfficeMax, Barnes and Noble and Sports Authority,
    > > among others."

    > >http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/05/...ges/index.html

    > > -RFH

    > This is a criminal case not a technology case.
    >
    > Best regards

    Are you trying to tell the readership that you are unable to grasp the
    concept of a case having technological as well as criminal
    ramifications?

    Please don't tell us that you got a US degree. Small wonder we are in
    the dumps lately.

    -RFH

  10. Re: 40 million credit cards hacked from companies that use Windowsservers

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >> "Under the indictments, three Miami, Florida, men -- Albert "Segvec"
    >> Gonzalez, Christopher Scott and Damon Patrick Toey -- are accused of
    >> hacking into the wireless computer networks of retailers including TJX
    >> Companies, whose stores include Marshall's and T.J. Maxx, BJ's
    >> Wholesale Club, OfficeMax, Barnes and Noble and Sports Authority,
    >> among others."
    >>
    >> http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/05/...ges/index.html
    >>
    >> -RFH

    > One of the entry points was the restaurant chain Dave and Buster's
    > which had decided to replace their trusty Solaris server with Windows.
    > Bad idea.
    >
    > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...andbusters.com
    >
    > -Ramon

    And what does this have to do with the credit card hacking? Nothing.

    Steve

  11. Re: 40 million credit cards hacked from companies that use Windowsservers

    On Aug 5, 8:54*pm, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > "Under the indictments, three Miami, Florida, men -- Albert "Segvec"
    > Gonzalez, Christopher Scott and Damon Patrick Toey -- are accused of
    > hacking into the wireless computer networks of retailers including TJX
    > Companies, whose stores include Marshall's and T.J. Maxx, BJ's
    > Wholesale Club, OfficeMax, Barnes and Noble and Sports Authority,
    > among others."
    >
    > http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/05/...ges/index.html
    >
    > -RFH

    Toy Macs won't run at this scale. What's your point?

  12. Re: 40 million credit cards hacked from companies that use Windowsservers

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > On Aug 5, 8:21 pm, Steve de Mena wrote:
    >> Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Under the indictments, three Miami, Florida, men -- Albert "Segvec"
    >>> Gonzalez, Christopher Scott and Damon Patrick Toey -- are accused of
    >>> hacking into the wireless computer networks of retailers including TJX
    >>> Companies, whose stores include Marshall's and T.J. Maxx, BJ's
    >>> Wholesale Club, OfficeMax, Barnes and Noble and Sports Authority,
    >>> among others."
    >>> http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/05/...ges/index.html
    >>> -RFH

    >> I searched for the word "Windows" in that article and came up with 0 hits.
    >>
    >> Steve

    > Perhaps somebody in the audience will show you how to find the Windows
    > reference that you failed to find.
    >
    > One would have to be blind -by nature or by choice- not to find the
    > security shortcomings of computer networks managed under a Microsoft
    > paradigm.
    >
    > -RFH

    I searched the document. Windows is not mentioned at all.

    It's not there.

    Probably some non-existent or easily guessable passwords were the culprit.

    Steve

  13. Re: 40 million credit cards hacked from companies that use Windows servers

    On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 18:32:02 -0700 (PDT), Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > On Aug 5, 8:21 pm, Steve de Mena wrote:
    >> Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Under the indictments, three Miami, Florida, men -- Albert "Segvec"
    >>> Gonzalez, Christopher Scott and Damon Patrick Toey -- are accused of
    >>> hacking into the wireless computer networks of retailers including TJX
    >>> Companies, whose stores include Marshall's and T.J. Maxx, BJ's
    >>> Wholesale Club, OfficeMax, Barnes and Noble and Sports Authority,
    >>> among others."

    >>>http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/05/...ges/index.html

    >>> -RFH

    >> I searched for the word "Windows" in that article and came up with 0 hits.
    >>
    >> Steve

    > Perhaps somebody in the audience will show you how to find the Windows
    > reference that you failed to find.
    >
    > One would have to be blind -by nature or by choice- not to find the
    > security shortcomings of computer networks managed under a Microsoft
    > paradigm.
    >
    > -RFH

    You're nothing but a liar "Ramon"...
    That article says nothing about Windows....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  14. Re: 40 million credit cards hacked from companies that use Windowsservers

    On Aug 5, 9:04*pm, "DFS" wrote:
    > Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > > "Under the indictments, three Miami, Florida, men -- Albert "Segvec"
    > > Gonzalez, Christopher Scott and Damon Patrick Toey -- are accused of
    > > hacking into the wireless computer networks of retailers including TJX
    > > Companies, whose stores include Marshall's and T.J. Maxx, BJ's
    > > Wholesale Club, OfficeMax, Barnes and Noble and Sports Authority,
    > > among others."

    > >http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/05/...ges/index.html

    > > -RFH

    > I bet if I do a little digging I can prove you're a STINKING LIAR.

    Well, COLA guys never read the article. That is for sure.
    Here is what they did:

    Hmmm, this was done at the terminal and network with sniffer
    programs.

    Could they get linux on the network? It is OPEN SOURCE. So they
    should
    know exactly how to do it.... Linux has such a small market, nobody
    bothers
    stealing a lot from linux business systems.

  15. Re: 40 million credit cards hacked from companies that use Windowsservers

    On Aug 5, 10:16*pm, "Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote:
    > On Aug 5, 9:04*pm, "DFS" wrote:
    >
    > > Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > > > "Under the indictments, three Miami, Florida, men -- Albert "Segvec"
    > > > Gonzalez, Christopher Scott and Damon Patrick Toey -- are accused of
    > > > hacking into the wireless computer networks of retailers including TJX
    > > > Companies, whose stores include Marshall's and T.J. Maxx, BJ's
    > > > Wholesale Club, OfficeMax, Barnes and Noble and Sports Authority,
    > > > among others."

    > > >http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/05/...ges/index.html

    > > > -RFH

    > > I bet if I do a little digging I can prove you're a STINKING LIAR.

    > Well, COLA guys never read the article. *That is for sure.
    > Here is what they did:

    > Hmmm, this was done at the terminal and network with sniffer
    > programs.
    >
    > Could they get linux on the network? *It is OPEN SOURCE. So they
    > should
    > know exactly how to do it.... *Linux has such a small *market, nobody
    > bothers
    > stealing a lot from linux business systems.

    Oh, I forgot:

    Linux would not have to worry. They just got wireless going this
    month.

  16. Re: 40 million credit cards hacked from companies that use Windows servers

    In article ,
    Steve de Mena wrote:

    > Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > >> I searched for the word "Windows" in that article and came up with 0 hits.
    > >>
    > >> Steve

    > > Perhaps somebody in the audience will show you how to find the Windows
    > > reference that you failed to find.
    > >
    > > One would have to be blind -by nature or by choice- not to find the
    > > security shortcomings of computer networks managed under a Microsoft
    > > paradigm.
    > >
    > > -RFH

    > I searched the document. Windows is not mentioned at all.
    >
    > It's not there.
    >
    > Probably some non-existent or easily guessable passwords were the culprit.
    >
    > Steve

    Edwin will now step in and demand you prove this...

    --
    Alan Baker
    Vancouver, British Columbia

  17. Re: 40 million credit cards hacked from companies that use Windows servers

    Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:

    > Linux would not have to worry. *They just got wireless going this
    > month.

    Quit projecting your Vista ME experiences on Linux.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  18. Re: 40 million credit cards hacked from companies that use Windowsservers

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > One would have to be blind -by nature or by choice- not to find the
    > security shortcomings of computer networks managed under a Microsoft
    > paradigm.
    >
    > -RFH

    Signed, RFH, a daily Windows XP user and cry baby.

  19. Re: 40 million credit cards hacked from companies that use Windows servers

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 22:41:35 -0500, Fred wrote:

    > Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >

    >> One would have to be blind -by nature or by choice- not to find the
    >> security shortcomings of computer networks managed under a Microsoft
    >> paradigm.
    >>
    >> -RFH
    >>

    > Signed, RFH, a daily Windows XP user and cry baby.

    Not to mention that the article he posted said absolutely NOTHING about
    Windows.

    Typical LIEing for LIEnix....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  20. Re: 40 million credit cards hacked from companies that use Windows servers

    In article
    <27476ff5-ec81-4375-8c0a-7f64d5ecf85d@d45g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
    Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > "Under the indictments, three Miami, Florida, men -- Albert "Segvec"
    > Gonzalez, Christopher Scott and Damon Patrick Toey -- are accused of
    > hacking into the wireless computer networks of retailers including TJX
    > Companies, whose stores include Marshall's and T.J. Maxx, BJ's
    > Wholesale Club, OfficeMax, Barnes and Noble and Sports Authority,
    > among others."

    They also use Linux servers. What is you point?

    If you had done even a tiny bit of searching, you'd find that their
    problems had nothing to do with what OSes they use. They ran wireless
    networks with weak encryption (which they know was weak--they had been
    planning for something like two years to update to better encryptions)
    and they did not follow the PCI DSS.

    --
    --Tim Smith

+ Reply to Thread