Re: Microsoft sees end of Windows era - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Microsoft sees end of Windows era - Linux ; On 2008-08-04, Cork Soaker wrote: > Rob Schwenk wrote: >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7540282.stm >> >> >> Microsoft has kicked off a research project to create software that >> will take over when it retires Windows. >> >> Called Midori, the cut-down operating ...

  1. Re: Microsoft sees end of Windows era

    On 2008-08-04, Cork Soaker wrote:
    > Rob Schwenk wrote:
    >>

    >> Microsoft has kicked off a research project to create software that
    >> will take over when it retires Windows.
    >>
    >> Called Midori, the cut-down operating system is radically different to
    >> Microsoft's older programs.
    >>
    >> It is centred on the internet and does away with the dependencies that
    >> tie Windows to a single PC.
    >>
    >> It is seen as Microsoft's answer to rivals' use of "virtualisation" as
    >> a way to solve many of the problems of modern-day computing.

    > This sentence makes no sense, but then the BBC always report technology
    > stories like a six year old trying to explain dark matter.... to an ape.

    I don't think they mean virtualization as in ESX, I think they mean as
    in virtual desktop like Google Apps and if so, I believe they're right.

    --

    (o< |)
    //\ ..may the beacon /\obt.

  2. Re: Microsoft sees end of Windows era

    On 2008-08-05, Robt. Miller wrote:
    > On 2008-08-04, Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> Rob Schwenk wrote:
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7540282.stm
    >>>

    >>> Microsoft has kicked off a research project to create software that
    >>> will take over when it retires Windows.
    >>>
    >>> Called Midori, the cut-down operating system is radically different to
    >>> Microsoft's older programs.
    >>>
    >>> It is centred on the internet and does away with the dependencies that
    >>> tie Windows to a single PC.
    >>>
    >>> It is seen as Microsoft's answer to rivals' use of "virtualisation" as
    >>> a way to solve many of the problems of modern-day computing.

    >> This sentence makes no sense, but then the BBC always report technology
    >> stories like a six year old trying to explain dark matter.... to an ape.
    >>

    > I don't think they mean virtualization as in ESX, I think they mean as
    > in virtual desktop like Google Apps and if so, I believe they're right.

    I don't think so... I know I would never move to something like that. You
    think I want to trust a 3rd party system (especially someone like Google) with
    my personal or corporate data? No way. Nope, the desktop is not going to go
    anywhere. Remember, we've seen this idea before - in the late 90's... The
    network pc. Didn't fly then, I don't think it will fly now.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  3. Re: Microsoft sees end of Windows era

    Tom Shelton wrote:
    > On 2008-08-05, Robt. Miller wrote:

    >>> This sentence makes no sense, but then the BBC always report technology
    >>> stories like a six year old trying to explain dark matter.... to an ape.
    >>>

    >> I don't think they mean virtualization as in ESX, I think they mean as
    >> in virtual desktop like Google Apps and if so, I believe they're right.
    >>

    > I don't think so... I know I would never move to something like that. You
    > think I want to trust a 3rd party system (especially someone like Google) with
    > my personal or corporate data? No way. Nope, the desktop is not going to go
    > anywhere. Remember, we've seen this idea before - in the late 90's... The
    > network pc. Didn't fly then, I don't think it will fly now.

    Agreed. The idea is ridiculous.

+ Reply to Thread