Trolls - Linux

This is a discussion on Trolls - Linux ; http://www.paulgraham.com/trolls.html There's a sort of Gresham's Law of trolls: trolls are willing to use a forum with a lot of thoughtful people in it, but thoughtful people aren't willing to use a forum with a lot of trolls in it. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 71

  1. Trolls

    http://www.paulgraham.com/trolls.html

    There's a sort of Gresham's Law of trolls: trolls are willing to use
    a forum with a lot of thoughtful people in it, but thoughtful people
    aren't willing to use a forum with a lot of trolls in it. Which means
    that once trolling takes hold, it tends to become the dominant
    culture. That had already happened to Slashdot and Digg by the time I
    paid attention to comment threads there, but I watched it happen to
    Reddit.

    http://www.urban75.com/Mag/troll.html

    There are three reasons why people troll newsgroups:

    People post such messages to get attention, to disrupt newsgroups,
    and simply to make trouble.

    --
    Brogan's Constant:
    People tend to congregate in the back of the church and the

  2. Re: Trolls

    * Linonut peremptorily fired off this memo:

    http://pctprograms.com/trollodex.asp

    --
    "As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty, and
    I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life -- so I became a scientist.

  3. Re: Trolls

    On Aug 4, 7:34*pm, Linonut wrote:
    > * *http://www.paulgraham.com/trolls.html
    >
    > * *There's a sort of Gresham's Law of trolls: trolls are willing to use
    > * *a forum with a lot of thoughtful people in it, but thoughtful people
    > * *aren't willing to use a forum with a lot of trolls in it. Which means
    > * *that once trolling takes hold, it tends to become the dominant
    > * *culture. That had already happened to Slashdot and Digg by the time I
    > * *paid attention to comment threads there, but I watched it happen to
    > * *Reddit.
    >
    > * *http://www.urban75.com/Mag/troll.html
    >
    > * *There are three reasons why people troll newsgroups:
    >
    > * *People post such messages to get attention, to disrupt newsgroups,
    > * *and simply to make trouble.
    >
    > --
    > Brogan's Constant:
    > * * * * People tend to congregate in the back of the church and the
    > * * * * front of the bus.

    You are missing the BIG POINT that is not listed.
    When I tried linux, I was told IT JUST WORKS.
    Well, it did not just WORK. When I complained,
    COLA tells me I am too stupid, a liar, and more.
    Then I got hit with a distro is not linux,and i tried
    over 10 distro's.

    ARE YOU PROUD OF WHAT YOU DID TO ME?
    CONGRATS. You were a fine Linux advocate.
    I am sure the rest of the world will be glad
    flat fish, dfs, and i am to tell you our experiences.

  4. Re: Trolls

    Linonut writes:

    > http://www.paulgraham.com/trolls.html
    >
    > There's a sort of Gresham's Law of trolls: trolls are willing to use
    > a forum with a lot of thoughtful people in it, but thoughtful people
    > aren't willing to use a forum with a lot of trolls in it. Which means
    > that once trolling takes hold, it tends to become the dominant
    > culture. That had already happened to Slashdot and Digg by the time I
    > paid attention to comment threads there, but I watched it happen to
    > Reddit.
    >
    > http://www.urban75.com/Mag/troll.html
    >
    > There are three reasons why people troll newsgroups:
    >
    > People post such messages to get attention, to disrupt newsgroups,
    > and simply to make trouble.

    Would you please do what every other poster in the history of usenet
    does and properly QUOTE things you are quoting. It's not that bloody
    hard surely? Otherwise is makes a right mess later in the thread for
    obvious reasons.

  5. Re: Trolls

    On Aug 4, 4:34*pm, Linonut wrote:
    > * *http://www.paulgraham.com/trolls.html
    >
    > * *There's a sort of Gresham's Law of trolls: trolls are willing to use
    > * *a forum with a lot of thoughtful people in it, but thoughtful people
    > * *aren't willing to use a forum with a lot of trolls in it. Which means
    > * *that once trolling takes hold, it tends to become the dominant
    > * *culture. That had already happened to Slashdot and Digg by the time I
    > * *paid attention to comment threads there, but I watched it happen to
    > * *Reddit.
    >
    > * *http://www.urban75.com/Mag/troll.html
    >
    > * *There are three reasons why people troll newsgroups:
    >
    > * *People post such messages to get attention, to disrupt newsgroups,
    > * *and simply to make trouble.
    >
    > --
    > Brogan's Constant:
    > * * * * People tend to congregate in the back of the church and the
    > * * * * front of the bus.

    Well this one would be much poorer without you, but I wouldn't blame
    you if you left. Now Moshe=flatfish is impersonating you, too.

  6. Re: Trolls

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 06:43:49 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Tuesday 05 August 2008 02:41 : \____
    >
    >> On Aug 4, 4:34*pm, Linonut wrote:
    >>> http://www.paulgraham.com/trolls.html
    >>>
    >>> There's a sort of Gresham's Law of trolls: trolls are willing to use
    >>> a forum with a lot of thoughtful people in it, but thoughtful people
    >>> aren't willing to use a forum with a lot of trolls in it. Which means
    >>> that once trolling takes hold, it tends to become the dominant
    >>> culture. That had already happened to Slashdot and Digg by the time I
    >>> paid attention to comment threads there, but I watched it happen to
    >>> Reddit.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.urban75.com/Mag/troll.html
    >>>
    >>> There are three reasons why people troll newsgroups:
    >>>
    >>> People post such messages to get attention, to disrupt newsgroups,
    >>> and simply to make trouble.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Brogan's Constant:
    >>> People tend to congregate in the back of the church and the
    >>> front of the bus.

    >> Well this one would be much poorer without you, but I wouldn't blame
    >> you if you left. Now Moshe=flatfish is impersonating you, too.

    > The more aggressive the get, the more desperate they are.

    Impersonating you?
    Show me where I am impersonating an idiot like you Roy Schestowitz....

    As for aggressive, nobody, I repeat, nobody is more aggressive at Microsoft
    hate than you are Roy schestowitz.

    So why are you so afraid, Roy Schestowitz?

    Anyone can see your daily SPAM...
    What are you afraid of Roy Schestowitz?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  7. Re: Trolls

  8. Re: Trolls

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Tuesday 05 August 2008 02:41 : \____
    >
    >> On Aug 4, 4:34*pm, Linonut wrote:
    >>> http://www.paulgraham.com/trolls.html
    >>>
    >>> There's a sort of Gresham's Law of trolls: trolls are willing to use
    >>> a forum with a lot of thoughtful people in it, but thoughtful people
    >>> aren't willing to use a forum with a lot of trolls in it. Which means
    >>> that once trolling takes hold, it tends to become the dominant
    >>> culture. That had already happened to Slashdot and Digg by the time I
    >>> paid attention to comment threads there, but I watched it happen to
    >>> Reddit.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.urban75.com/Mag/troll.html
    >>>
    >>> There are three reasons why people troll newsgroups:
    >>>
    >>> People post such messages to get attention, to disrupt newsgroups,
    >>> and simply to make trouble.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Brogan's Constant:
    >>> People tend to congregate in the back of the church and the
    >>> front of the bus.

    >> Well this one would be much poorer without you, but I wouldn't blame
    >> you if you left. Now Moshe=flatfish is impersonating you, too.

    > The more aggressive the get, the more desperate they are.

    Personally, I recommend the use of a good, solid killfile... that way,
    although the trolls attempt to pullute the group, one doesn't see their
    pollution, so their trawling is ineffective.

    The other alternative is to find another discussion location, but as
    they'll merely move their anyway, it's not a sustainable solution,
    whereas a killfile is.

  9. Re: Trolls

    Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    > On Aug 4, 7:34 pm, Linonut wrote:
    >> http://www.paulgraham.com/trolls.html
    >>
    >> There's a sort of Gresham's Law of trolls: trolls are willing to use
    >> a forum with a lot of thoughtful people in it, but thoughtful people
    >> aren't willing to use a forum with a lot of trolls in it. Which means
    >> that once trolling takes hold, it tends to become the dominant
    >> culture. That had already happened to Slashdot and Digg by the time I
    >> paid attention to comment threads there, but I watched it happen to
    >> Reddit.
    >>
    >> http://www.urban75.com/Mag/troll.html
    >>
    >> There are three reasons why people troll newsgroups:
    >>
    >> People post such messages to get attention, to disrupt newsgroups,
    >> and simply to make trouble.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Brogan's Constant:
    >> People tend to congregate in the back of the church and the
    >> front of the bus.

    > You are missing the BIG POINT that is not listed.
    > When I tried linux, I was told IT JUST WORKS.
    > Well, it did not just WORK. When I complained,
    > COLA tells me I am too stupid, a liar, and more.
    > Then I got hit with a distro is not linux,and i tried
    > over 10 distro's.
    >
    > ARE YOU PROUD OF WHAT YOU DID TO ME?
    > CONGRATS. You were a fine Linux advocate.
    > I am sure the rest of the world will be glad
    > flat fish, dfs, and i am to tell you our experiences.

    cola is not a support group moron. There are plenty though, so either
    you're incredibly stupid or you meet the second and third criteria.

  10. Re: Trolls

    Psyc Geek (TAB, Trent Allen Black) blubbered incoherently:

    > On Aug 4, 7:34*pm, Linonut wrote:
    >> http://www.paulgraham.com/trolls.html
    >>
    >> There's a sort of Gresham's Law of trolls: trolls are willing to use
    >> a forum with a lot of thoughtful people in it, but thoughtful people
    >> aren't willing to use a forum with a lot of trolls in it. Which means
    >> that once trolling takes hold, it tends to become the dominant
    >> culture. That had already happened to Slashdot and Digg by the time I
    >> paid attention to comment threads there, but I watched it happen to
    >> Reddit.
    >>
    >> http://www.urban75.com/Mag/troll.html
    >>
    >> There are three reasons why people troll newsgroups:
    >>
    >> People post such messages to get attention, to disrupt newsgroups,
    >> and simply to make trouble.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Brogan's Constant:
    >> People tend to congregate in the back of the church and the
    >> front of the bus.

    > You are missing the BIG POINT that is not listed.
    > When I tried linux, I was told IT JUST WORKS.

    Well, it does

    > Well, it did not just WORK.

    Too bad that it found out who you are a little early, isn't it?

    > When I complained,
    > COLA tells me I am too stupid, a liar, and more.

    Well, they forgot to mention that you are a moron, too

    > Then I got hit with a distro is not linux,and i tried
    > over 10 distro's.

    And all of them did not like you? You certainly have a way to offend linux

    > ARE YOU PROUD OF WHAT YOU DID TO ME?

    Nope. You simply get what you deserve. Most of the time not all of it, but
    nonetheless...

    > CONGRATS. You were a fine Linux advocate.
    > I am sure the rest of the world will be glad
    > flat fish, dfs, and i am to tell you our experiences.

    Well, too bad that you are such a incredible stupid widiot. At least now you
    know that linux is not for people who click on everything which moves, has
    bright colors and preferrably makes cute noises

    --
    tab wrote in
    Plonk me, insult me, trash me, but at your expense.

  11. Re: Trolls

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 16:45:19 -0700, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:

    > You are missing the BIG POINT that is not listed. When I tried linux, I
    > was told IT JUST WORKS.

    Said who? I've not seen any posts that IT JUST WORKS, but it does work
    just fine most often, FWIW.

    -Thufir

  12. Re: Trolls

    * Hadron peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Linonut writes:
    >
    >> http://www.paulgraham.com/trolls.html
    >>
    >> There's a sort of Gresham's Law of trolls: trolls are willing to use
    >> a forum with a lot of thoughtful people in it, but thoughtful people
    >> aren't willing to use a forum with a lot of trolls in it. Which means
    >> that once trolling takes hold, it tends to become the dominant
    >> culture. That had already happened to Slashdot and Digg by the time I
    >> paid attention to comment threads there, but I watched it happen to
    >> Reddit.
    >>
    >> http://www.urban75.com/Mag/troll.html
    >>
    >> There are three reasons why people troll newsgroups:
    >>
    >> People post such messages to get attention, to disrupt newsgroups,
    >> and simply to make trouble.

    > Would you please do what every other poster in the history of usenet
    > does and properly QUOTE things you are quoting. It's not that bloody
    > hard surely? Otherwise is makes a right mess later in the thread for
    > obvious reasons.

    Giving orders again, Hadron?

    You probably need a better newsreader. It looks fine on slrn.

    Like I'm going to listen to a jerk who takes every opportunity to
    insult and deride.

    I'd rather follow the Chicago Manual of Style.

    19.33 Indentation. An alternative way of indicating extracts is to
    set them in the same type size as the text but indented at least two
    picas from the left. The may also be indent from both left and
    right. The width of the type page and the length and number of the
    extracts are considerations here. The smaller the type page, the
    less feasible indentation from both sides becomes.

    --

  13. Re: Trolls

    * nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Well this one would be much poorer without you, but I wouldn't blame
    > you if you left.

    Why would I leave? Most of what they write is patently silly,
    insulting, or just plain wrong. Self-nuking to anyone with even a
    crippled sense of social networks.

    For example, Hadron makes a big deal of calling me "Liarnut", claiming
    I'm Roy's lap-dog, a hypocrite and fraud, then, when I post some info
    about a program I've found or am using, that really sets him off. How
    screwed up is that?

    It used to bug me a bit, but now it's just amusing. Hadron might as
    well be a first-grader calling me "doody head".

    > Now Moshe=flatfish is impersonating you, too.

    Actually, based on their common use of the phrase "lap dog", it could be
    Hadron, for all we know. The IP address keeps changing, though, but any
    fool can find an open proxy.

    This name-faking stuff has the following goals:

    1. Irritate the one who's name is being faked.

    2. Attempt to get other people, especially those who don't know the
    real poster (e.g. people in a non-COLA newsgroup) to killfile the
    one who's name is being faked.

    3. Associate the name of the one being faked with distasteful,
    offensive, insulting, or silly statements, to be found in google
    searches.

    4. Distract everyone from talking about Linux.

    5. Get some silly giggles while "home alone" in front of the glowing
    screen.

    --
    He who always plows a straight furrow is in a rut.

  14. Re: Trolls

    * Mark Kent peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>
    >> The more aggressive the get, the more desperate they are.

    > Personally, I recommend the use of a good, solid killfile... that way,
    > although the trolls attempt to pullute the group, one doesn't see their
    > pollution, so their trawling is ineffective.
    >
    > The other alternative is to find another discussion location, but as
    > they'll merely move their anyway, it's not a sustainable solution,
    > whereas a killfile is.

    The problem with the killfile is that search engines don't have one.

    Also, killfiles have some latency.

    --
    it's weird, when you go on a safari to Africa to catch a lion, you
    find it alive and it charges, and then you kill it

  15. Re: Trolls

    ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 05 August 2008 07:15 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>
    >> ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Tuesday 05 August 2008 02:41 : \____

    >>> Well this one would be much poorer without you, but I wouldn't blame
    >>> you if you left. Now Moshe=flatfish is impersonating you, too.

    >> The more aggressive the get, the more desperate they are.
    >>

    > Personally, I recommend the use of a good, solid killfile... that way,
    > although the trolls attempt to pullute the group, one doesn't see their
    > pollution, so their trawling is ineffective.
    >
    > The other alternative is to find another discussion location, but as
    > they'll merely move their anyway, it's not a sustainable solution,
    > whereas a killfile is.

    They already pollute Digg and Slashdot (I suspect they have done it in Slashdot
    for much longer, though).

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    "Bill Gates looks at everything as something that should be his. He acts in any
    way he can to make it his. It can be an idea, market share, or a contract.
    There is not an ounce of conscientiousness or compassion in him. The notion of
    fairness means nothing to him. The only thing he understands is leverage."

    --Philippe Kahn

  16. Re: Trolls

    >Psyc Geek (TAB, Trent Allen Black) blubbered incoherently:
    >>
    >> When I complained,
    >> COLA tells me I am too stupid, a liar, and more.

    You are. And a fsckwit, too.

    You do realize, do you not, that your behavior has proven our initial
    assessment of you to be correct?

    >> ARE YOU PROUD OF WHAT YOU DID TO ME?

    You know damn well that your basic nature did not change, simply
    because a few cola people "insulted" you. Fsckwit.

  17. Re: Trolls

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 05 August 2008 07:15 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>>
    >>> ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Tuesday 05 August 2008 02:41 : \____

    >>> The more aggressive the get, the more desperate they are.
    >>>

    >> Personally, I recommend the use of a good, solid killfile... that way,
    >> although the trolls attempt to pullute the group, one doesn't see their
    >> pollution, so their trawling is ineffective.
    >>
    >> The other alternative is to find another discussion location, but as
    >> they'll merely move their anyway, it's not a sustainable solution,
    >> whereas a killfile is.

    > They already pollute Digg and Slashdot (I suspect they have done it in Slashdot
    > for much longer, though).

    I recall at least one character starting in cola before migrating onto
    slashdot. At first he was highly aggressive and very overt, but after
    some time in cola, he became far more subtle with his approach, although
    his agenda changed not one jot. The bizzarest thing is that several
    pro-charter cola denizens actually congratulated him on how good his
    posts were. Naive, thought I.

  18. Re: Trolls

    Linonut espoused:
    > * Mark Kent peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>>
    >>> The more aggressive the get, the more desperate they are.

    >> Personally, I recommend the use of a good, solid killfile... that way,
    >> although the trolls attempt to pullute the group, one doesn't see their
    >> pollution, so their trawling is ineffective.
    >>
    >> The other alternative is to find another discussion location, but as
    >> they'll merely move their anyway, it's not a sustainable solution,
    >> whereas a killfile is.

    > The problem with the killfile is that search engines don't have one.

    True, they don't. If usenet weren't on its last legs, there would
    probably be room for someone to create a nice new web interface with
    customisable settings including killfiles and so on. As usenet is
    almost dead, though, I can't really see anyone bothering.

    You can get around that to a point by using leafnode, though, so that
    the kfiling is done at the server.

    > Also, killfiles have some latency.

    Not a great deal, unless, perhaps, you're using an extremely aged
    machine. Again, leafnode would be a suitable alternative.

  19. Re: Trolls

    Linonut writes:

    > * Hadron peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Linonut writes:
    >>
    >>> http://www.paulgraham.com/trolls.html
    >>>
    >>> There's a sort of Gresham's Law of trolls: trolls are willing to use
    >>> a forum with a lot of thoughtful people in it, but thoughtful people
    >>> aren't willing to use a forum with a lot of trolls in it. Which means
    >>> that once trolling takes hold, it tends to become the dominant
    >>> culture. That had already happened to Slashdot and Digg by the time I
    >>> paid attention to comment threads there, but I watched it happen to
    >>> Reddit.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.urban75.com/Mag/troll.html
    >>>
    >>> There are three reasons why people troll newsgroups:
    >>>
    >>> People post such messages to get attention, to disrupt newsgroups,
    >>> and simply to make trouble.

    >> Would you please do what every other poster in the history of usenet
    >> does and properly QUOTE things you are quoting. It's not that bloody
    >> hard surely? Otherwise is makes a right mess later in the thread for
    >> obvious reasons.

    > Giving orders again, Hadron?
    >
    > You probably need a better newsreader. It looks fine on slrn.

    White space is NOT an accepted quoting mechanism on usenet.

    And it looks the same on slrn as it does no gnus. White space is white
    space. And gnus knocks the stuffing out of slrn in each and every
    department ..... (cue newsreader war...)

    > Like I'm going to listen to a jerk who takes every opportunity to
    > insult and deride.

    No. You should listen to your conscience. Still if you want to appear as
    pig ignorant as you obviously are then good luck.

  20. Re: Trolls

    Linonut writes:

    > * nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Well this one would be much poorer without you, but I wouldn't blame
    >> you if you left.

    > Why would I leave? Most of what they write is patently silly,
    > insulting, or just plain wrong. Self-nuking to anyone with even a
    > crippled sense of social networks.
    >
    > For example, Hadron makes a big deal of calling me "Liarnut", claiming
    > I'm Roy's lap-dog, a hypocrite and fraud, then, when I post some info
    > about a program I've found or am using, that really sets him off. How
    > screwed up is that?
    >
    > It used to bug me a bit, but now it's just amusing. Hadron might as
    > well be a first-grader calling me "doody head".

    It bugs you a lot. And I only do it when you are posting nonsense. Which
    is most of the time these days. You head off, Google something up ans
    paste it as if its somehow relevant. More than half of the time you got
    the wrong information.

    How many times have we seen this from you

    "You are completely wrong. It's excellent. Not that I've used it much or
    know anything about it"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast