Trolls - Linux

This is a discussion on Trolls - Linux ; RonB espoused: > Ezekiel wrote: > >> So "usenet is almost dead" and on it's "last legs" which clearly explains >> the asinine claims from you, Roy Schestowitz and fellow retard "Mark S. >> Bilk" that people/trolls are getting "paid" ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 71 of 71

  1. Re: Trolls

    RonB espoused:
    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> So "usenet is almost dead" and on it's "last legs" which clearly explains
    >> the asinine claims from you, Roy Schestowitz and fellow retard "Mark S.
    >> Bilk" that people/trolls are getting "paid" by Microsoft to post here.

    > So you don't get paid for spewing on COLA? Just don't have a life then, huh?

    Anyone freely admitting that they spend their life posting offensive,
    abusive, off-topic, anti-charter material in a newsgroup *without* being
    paid for it deserves sympathy, charity and probably a long stay in a
    special hospital for people with sociopathic disorders.

    The alternative, being paid to do it, somehow seems less damning to me.

  2. Re: Trolls

    * Mark Kent peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > The days of the vibrant ftp servers have pretty much gone. Demon used
    > to have an excellent ftp service, but I think that a few security scares
    > killed ftp some time ago. I understand that it's actually very secure
    > now, but everyone's moved on. ssh seems best :-)

    ssh. Another good technology that all too few know about.

    As for downloading files, so many sites now put that in control of
    Javascript or some other code that hides the direct link. Annoying.

    Even sourceforge does it.

    --
    Uncle Ed's Rule of Thumb:
    Never use your thumb for a rule.

  3. Re: Trolls

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 11:17:34 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:

    > The days of the vibrant ftp servers have pretty much gone. Demon used
    > to have an excellent ftp service, but I think that a few security scares
    > killed ftp some time ago. I understand that it's actually very secure
    > now, but everyone's moved on. ssh seems best :-)

    Yea, and you are violating your TOS by allowing Schestowitz to use your ISP
    connection via SSH as a SPAM machine.

    Why don't you tell the cheap bastard to get his own connection?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: Trolls

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 11:21:25 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:

    > RonB espoused:
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >>> So "usenet is almost dead" and on it's "last legs" which clearly explains
    >>> the asinine claims from you, Roy Schestowitz and fellow retard "Mark S.
    >>> Bilk" that people/trolls are getting "paid" by Microsoft to post here.

    >> So you don't get paid for spewing on COLA? Just don't have a life then, huh?
    >>

    > Anyone freely admitting that they spend their life posting offensive,
    > abusive, off-topic, anti-charter material in a newsgroup *without* being
    > paid for it deserves sympathy, charity and probably a long stay in a
    > special hospital for people with sociopathic disorders.

    So are you going to be paying for Roy Schestowitz's medical treatment as
    well as allowing him to ssh into your machine and use your ISP connection?

    I say toss the cheap bastard out on the street.
    Schestowitz has been sponging off of people for too long and needs to get
    his sea legs in the real world of business.

    His parents accountant will thank you!

    > The alternative, being paid to do it, somehow seems less damning to me.

    Which is probably why you support Schestowitz.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  5. Re: Trolls

    Linonut espoused:
    > * Mark Kent peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> The days of the vibrant ftp servers have pretty much gone. Demon used
    >> to have an excellent ftp service, but I think that a few security scares
    >> killed ftp some time ago. I understand that it's actually very secure
    >> now, but everyone's moved on. ssh seems best :-)

    > ssh. Another good technology that all too few know about.

    The port-forwarding aspect is fantastic.

    > As for downloading files, so many sites now put that in control of
    > Javascript or some other code that hides the direct link. Annoying.
    >
    > Even sourceforge does it.

    I can't stand javascript hides, they're very very annoying. Aside from
    anything else, when downloading large files, the probability of failure
    is quite significant, curl and wget, like ftp, allow "resume", something
    which is virtually impossible when playing via some javascripted
    gateway, so the net result is almost certainly a traffic increase.

  6. Re: Trolls

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 17:54:22 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:
    >Linonut espoused:
    >> * Mark Kent peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> The days of the vibrant ftp servers have pretty much gone. Demon used
    >>> to have an excellent ftp service, but I think that a few security scares
    >>> killed ftp some time ago. I understand that it's actually very secure
    >>> now, but everyone's moved on. ssh seems best :-)

    >> ssh. Another good technology that all too few know about.

    >The port-forwarding aspect is fantastic.

    >> As for downloading files, so many sites now put that in control of
    >> Javascript or some other code that hides the direct link. Annoying.
    >>
    >> Even sourceforge does it.
    >>

    >I can't stand javascript hides, they're very very annoying. Aside from
    >anything else, when downloading large files, the probability of failure
    >is quite significant, curl and wget, like ftp, allow "resume", something
    >which is virtually impossible when playing via some javascripted
    >gateway, so the net result is almost certainly a traffic increase.

    Fortunately, sourceforge includes a direct link. I always kill the automatic
    download and use the direct link.

  7. Re: Trolls

    Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
    > Gregory Shearman espoused:

    >> I now use news.individual.net, and for the 10 Euros a year is well
    >> worth it.

    > They seem good, and the price is certainly competitive.

    AFAICT they seem to be the best choice now that SuperNews is dead
    (assimilated by GigaSpam).

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | By bucking Microsoft for open source, says Gunderloy, "I'm no
    | longer contributing to the eventual death of programming."
    | ~ http://www.linux.com/feature/142083
    `----

    18:35:56 up 229 days, 15:11, 4 users, load average: 1.01, 1.10, 1.11

  8. Re: Trolls

    * AZ Nomad peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Fortunately, sourceforge includes a direct link. I always kill the automatic
    > download and use the direct link.

    yeah, but it's kind of annoying when the automatic link actually works
    speedily for a change, and you end up with two simultaneous downloads.

    --
    Know Thy User.

  9. Re: Trolls

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 14:11:55 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >* AZ Nomad peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> Fortunately, sourceforge includes a direct link. I always kill the automatic
    >> download and use the direct link.

    >yeah, but it's kind of annoying when the automatic link actually works
    >speedily for a change, and you end up with two simultaneous downloads.

    I just hit the escape key and the download save-as dialog goes away.

    I don't click the direct link, but right-click and copy the link the clipboard.

    Often, my target system is remote, so I issue the wget command
    over an ssh connection.

  10. Re: Trolls

    On 2008-08-06, AZ Nomad claimed:

    > Fortunately, sourceforge includes a direct link. I always kill the automatic
    > download and use the direct link.

    I used to skip sourceforge as much as possible because I didn't want
    javascripted downloads. Nothing pisses me off more than to have a
    decent download manager or I decide to use wget or something, and find
    all I get is some crappy script if I get anything.

    Now I don't worry about it. I use the noscript plugin. Everything is
    blocked by default, including sourceforge. If there's no direct link I
    move on. I don't want or need anything so much that I'll put up with
    having the file pushed at me via scripting.

    --
    Intellectual property has the shelf life of a banana.
    -- The great prognosticator, Bill Gates

  11. Re: Trolls

    On 2008-08-06, Mark Kent wrote:
    > Gregory Shearman espoused:
    >> On 2008-08-05, Mark Kent wrote:
    >>> Homer espoused:

    >>> I know. The recent attempts to daemonise it by associating whole
    >>> hierarchies by particular types of porn don't help. One of my ISPs
    >>> doesn't even keep its own news server any more, it proxies someone
    >>> else's.

    >> My ISP gave up running a news server more than a year ago. I almost
    >> dumped them, except that they maintain a gentoo mirror (I use "maintain"
    >> in its vaguest sense... if only they'd be more prompt with their mirror
    >> updating... sigh!).

    > The days of the vibrant ftp servers have pretty much gone. Demon used
    > to have an excellent ftp service, but I think that a few security scares
    > killed ftp some time ago. I understand that it's actually very secure
    > now, but everyone's moved on. ssh seems best :-)

    Gentoo mirrors generally use the http protocol and they provide all
    source code to build, maintain and update your gentoo systems. Without
    them, you can't keep your penguin surfing just behind the bleeding edge.

    You can report these mirrors if they fail to update according to gentoo
    mirror policy, but I don't want to go to those extremes just yet... just
    a gentle prodding email to my ISP's support crew every now and then.

    Security? You get a hash of the source file from another mirror and run
    it against your source. If they match then the source can be relied
    upon.

    I update portage (package management system) from a gentoo mirror at
    Swinburne University, Melbourne Australia.... and they provide me with
    all the hashes of all source.

    >> I now use news.individual.net, and for the 10 Euros a year is well worth
    >> it.
    >>

    > They seem good, and the price is certainly competitive.

    They _are_ good, and they keep out of my way.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power