Trolls - Linux

This is a discussion on Trolls - Linux ; Linonut writes: > * Hadron peremptorily fired off this memo: > >> "Moshe Goldfarb." writes: >> >>> On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 08:14:21 -0400, Linonut wrote: >>> >>>> The problem with the killfile is that search engines don't have one. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 71

  1. Re: Trolls

    Linonut writes:

    > * Hadron peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Roy Schestowitz loves that feature.
    >>>
    >>> He would be out of business if that were true.

    >> I dare say you could construct a Google query to only return posts which
    >> do not contain "schestowitz" or "Linonut".

    > I notice you've become happier since I started responding to you.

    Your responding to me just makes me want to killfile you to be
    honest. But I'm not like you - I don't run away squealing.

    --
    "Do a screen-shot of a text. Now disable anti-aliasing. Do again screen-shot of same text. Compare both. They are exactly the same."
    Peter Koehlmann, COLA, explaining Anti Aliasing ....

  2. Re: Trolls

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 17:47:35 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:
    >
    >> On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 08:14:21 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>

    >>> The problem with the killfile is that search engines don't have one.

    >> Roy Schestowitz loves that feature.
    >>
    >> He would be out of business if that were true.

    > I dare say you could construct a Google query to only return posts which
    > do not contain "schestowitz" or "Linonut".

    Sure but you would have to do it every time you search.
    IMHO anything Schestowitz should be filtered at the server level because 99
    percent of it is garbage and untruths.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Trolls

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 17:46:24 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:
    >
    >> On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 09:15:00 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >>

    >>> cola is not a support group moron.

    >> It's not a Linux advocacy group either.

    > Is that what it's supposed to be? I thought it was an MS hate group
    > started by a bunch of anti.social misfits who clan together like rats
    > around a sewer pipe.

    Good description!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: Trolls

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 17:49:33 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    >>> Should you not be bragging to your masters how you have killfiled entire
    >>> servers with your "slrn" filters? You normally do.

    >> Hahah!
    >>
    >> And Roy Schestowitz had to ask Willy Poaster how to KF a person without
    >> blocking the entire ISP.
    >>
    >> They sure don't grow them too smart around here.

    > I have to question Liarnut's sanity to be honest. He is almost
    > schizophrenic in his posting. On one hand he is rude and insulting next
    > he is telling people off for the same. One minute he does not use
    > killfiles, next he is showing off how he blocks entire servers. Quite
    > insane.

    I suspect his check from Schestowitz is late this week so he is letting Roy
    know who is boss...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  5. Re: Trolls

    >> There are three reasons why people troll newsgroups:
    >>
    >> People post such messages to get attention, to disrupt newsgroups,
    >> and simply to make trouble.

    > Then, they fight. That's what they do now. They attack advocates.

    I think in some cases in COLA, it's simply the 3 reasons above, and the
    only reason "advocates" are involved is that they are the "natives" who
    happen to be there to be targets.

    In other words, it's simple perverseness.

    --
    A kid'll eat the middle of an Oreo, eventually.

  6. Re: Trolls

  7. Stock market totally befuddles Roy and Homer (was Re: Trolls)

    In article <1697072.7BoPBrdp0b@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > "Microsoft loses 90 Billion Dollars"
    > http://slated.org/microsoft_loses_90_billion_dollars

    No, their market cap went down by $90 billion. Why does it not surprise
    my the neither of you understand the most elementary things about how
    stocks work?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  8. Re: Trolls

    In article ,
    thufir wrote:

    > Said who? I've not seen any posts that IT JUST WORKS, but it does work
    > just fine most often, FWIW.

    Keep reading...you'll run into one, from Peter. (Although you might
    have trouble comprehending it, because you will be in shock--a post from
    Peter that is *NOT* a direct response to Snit!)

    --
    --Tim Smith

  9. Re: Trolls

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 13:34:57 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    >>> There are three reasons why people troll newsgroups:
    >>>
    >>> People post such messages to get attention, to disrupt newsgroups,
    >>> and simply to make trouble.

    >> Then, they fight. That's what they do now. They attack advocates.

    > I think in some cases in COLA, it's simply the 3 reasons above, and the
    > only reason "advocates" are involved is that they are the "natives" who
    > happen to be there to be targets.
    >
    > In other words, it's simple perverseness.

    And yet the trolls whine when they are attacked using information *they*
    provided.

    --
    Is a M$ "Certificate of Authenticity"
    for Vista, a junk bond?

  10. Re: Stock market totally befuddles Roy and Homer (was Re: Trolls)

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 11:43:51 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article <1697072.7BoPBrdp0b@schestowitz.com>,
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> "Microsoft loses 90 Billion Dollars"
    >> http://slated.org/microsoft_loses_90_billion_dollars

    > No, their market cap went down by $90 billion. Why does it not surprise
    > my the neither of you understand the most elementary things about how
    > stocks work?

    You;d think that after being in college for 10 years now, Roy Schestowitz
    would have taken at least one basic finance course.

    Amazing.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: Stock market totally befuddles Roy and Homer (was Re: Trolls)

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 11:43:51 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    >> "Microsoft loses 90 Billion Dollars"
    >> http://slated.org/microsoft_loses_90_billion_dollars

    > No, their market cap went down by $90 billion. Why does it not surprise
    > my the neither of you understand the most elementary things about how
    > stocks work?

    "As owning stock represents owning the company, including all its assets,
    capitalization could represent the public opinion of a company's net
    worth and is a determining factor in stock valuation."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_capitalization

    So, its perceived net worth decreased by 90b? Sounds like "microsoft
    loses 90b" is a fair title -- which was the title of the *slated.org*
    article.

    -Thufif

  12. Re: Stock market totally befuddles Roy and Homer (was Re: Trolls)

  13. Re: Trolls

    Ezekiel wrote:

    > So "usenet is almost dead" and on it's "last legs" which clearly explains
    > the asinine claims from you, Roy Schestowitz and fellow retard "Mark S.
    > Bilk" that people/trolls are getting "paid" by Microsoft to post here.

    So you don't get paid for spewing on COLA? Just don't have a life then, huh?

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  14. Re: Trolls

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 18:35:08 -0500, RonB wrote:

    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> So "usenet is almost dead" and on it's "last legs" which clearly explains
    >> the asinine claims from you, Roy Schestowitz and fellow retard "Mark S.
    >> Bilk" that people/trolls are getting "paid" by Microsoft to post here.

    > So you don't get paid for spewing on COLA? Just don't have a life then, huh?

    Schestowitz gets paid to SPAM COLA.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: Stock market totally befuddles Roy and Homer (was Re: Trolls)

    In article <1369736.xc9XiaDeCR@schestowitz.com>,
    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > > So, its perceived net worth decreased by 90b? Sounds like "microsoft
    > > loses 90b" is a fair title -- which was the title of the *slated.org*
    > > article.

    > It's Bloomberg that said it. Slated just cited it.

    No, Bloomberg did not say that. Bloomberg said:

    Microsoft, the biggest software maker, has lost about $90 billion in
    market value this year as Ballmer vacillated on Yahoo and failed to
    show how he would crack Google Inc.'s dominance of Internet
    advertising. Shareholders will look for ideas at a meeting with
    Ballmer tomorrow, said Kim Caughey, a Fort Pitt Capital Group Inc.
    analyst in Pittsburgh.

    Bloomberg, unlike you and Homer, know how the stock market works, and so
    reported accurately.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  16. Re: Trolls

    On 2008-08-05, Mark Kent wrote:
    > Homer espoused:
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
    >>
    >>> As usenet is almost dead

    >> What a depressing thought.
    >>

    > I know. The recent attempts to daemonise it by associating whole
    > hierarchies by particular types of porn don't help. One of my ISPs
    > doesn't even keep its own news server any more, it proxies someone
    > else's.

    My ISP gave up running a news server more than a year ago. I almost
    dumped them, except that they maintain a gentoo mirror (I use "maintain"
    in its vaguest sense... if only they'd be more prompt with their mirror
    updating... sigh!).

    I now use news.individual.net, and for the 10 Euros a year is well worth
    it.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  17. Re: Trolls

    On 2008-08-05, chrisv wrote:
    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> Hadron quacked:
    >>>
    >>> Is that what it's supposed to be? I thought it was an MS hate group
    >>> started by a bunch of anti.social misfits who clan together like rats
    >>> around a sewer pipe.

    >>Well then, welcome home, Hadron.

    > Indeed. The M$ social misfits - astroturfers and shills and headcases
    > and assholes - have filled the group with their hatred for all things
    > good and free.

    As it should be. When they are concentrating their venom here it leaves
    them less time to damage the important Linux groups with their filth.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  18. Re: Stock market totally befuddles Roy and Homer (was Re: Trolls)

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 17:56:01 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > Anyway, back to the Microsoft $90B drop in market value.

    Yes, to be pedantic, it's a drop in market value.

    > That reflects
    > a drop in the stock price from around 36 to around 26 dollars/share.

    Which was the point.

    > What Roy and Homer overlook, of course, is that the stock was around 28
    > this time last year. It ran up to 36 in November, dipped to 33, ran
    > back up to 36 by January, then dropped to around 29 through June, then
    > to 26.

    Sure, and if you go back far enough in time Microsoft was worth zero
    dollars.

    > So, preceding that "loss" of $90B, there was a gain of $72B. That drop
    > from 29 in June to 26 now seems to reflect general market movement, as
    > other tech stocks fell similar amount then.

    Stocks go up and down, yes.

    > Net result: late last year, Microsoft market value ran up about $70B.

    Good for them.

    > After the Yahoo stuff, it came down around that amount. Then it came
    > down some more as the market in general came down.

    Stocks go up and down.

    The article was posted regarding the fact that Microsoft lost $90B in
    market value.

    -Thufir

  19. Re: Stock market totally befuddles Roy and Homer (was Re: Trolls)

    On 2008-08-05, Roy Schestowitz claimed:

    > ____/ thufir on Tuesday 05 August 2008 21:56 : \____
    >
    >> On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 11:43:51 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    >>> No, their market cap went down by $90 billion. Why does it not surprise
    >>> my the neither of you understand the most elementary things about how
    >>> stocks work?

    >> "As owning stock represents owning the company, including all its assets,
    >> capitalization could represent the public opinion of a company's net
    >> worth and is a determining factor in stock valuation."
    >>

    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_capitalization
    >>

    >> So, its perceived net worth decreased by 90b? Sounds like "microsoft
    >> loses 90b" is a fair title -- which was the title of the *slated.org*
    >> article.

    > It's Bloomberg that said it. Slated just cited it.
    >
    > The trolls try to spin Microsoft out of big embarrassment.

    Now, now. Timmy is just trying to emulate his hero and mentor, Ewik.
    Too bad he'll always be a rank amateur at it, unlike his psychic guru
    and all around FUDmeister idol.

    Timmy, Erik will always be the MS golden boi in their eyes. The best
    you can /ever/ hope for is second fiddle. And TAB has as good a shot at
    that position as you do.

    --
    After seeing Windows I realize Bill Gates is an idiot.

  20. Re: Trolls

    Gregory Shearman espoused:
    > On 2008-08-05, Mark Kent wrote:
    >> Homer espoused:
    >>> Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:

    >>> What a depressing thought.
    >>>

    >> I know. The recent attempts to daemonise it by associating whole
    >> hierarchies by particular types of porn don't help. One of my ISPs
    >> doesn't even keep its own news server any more, it proxies someone
    >> else's.

    > My ISP gave up running a news server more than a year ago. I almost
    > dumped them, except that they maintain a gentoo mirror (I use "maintain"
    > in its vaguest sense... if only they'd be more prompt with their mirror
    > updating... sigh!).

    The days of the vibrant ftp servers have pretty much gone. Demon used
    to have an excellent ftp service, but I think that a few security scares
    killed ftp some time ago. I understand that it's actually very secure
    now, but everyone's moved on. ssh seems best :-)

    > I now use news.individual.net, and for the 10 Euros a year is well worth
    > it.

    They seem good, and the price is certainly competitive.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast