Trolls - Linux

This is a discussion on Trolls - Linux ; Linonut writes: > * Mark Kent peremptorily fired off this memo: > >> Roy Schestowitz espoused: >>> >>> The more aggressive the get, the more desperate they are. >> >> Personally, I recommend the use of a good, solid killfile... ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 71

  1. Re: Trolls

    Linonut writes:

    > * Mark Kent peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>>
    >>> The more aggressive the get, the more desperate they are.

    >> Personally, I recommend the use of a good, solid killfile... that way,
    >> although the trolls attempt to pullute the group, one doesn't see their
    >> pollution, so their trawling is ineffective.
    >>
    >> The other alternative is to find another discussion location, but as
    >> they'll merely move their anyway, it's not a sustainable solution,
    >> whereas a killfile is.

    > The problem with the killfile is that search engines don't have one.

    How is that a problem with a killfile? Duh.

    > Also, killfiles have some latency.

    *chuckle*

  2. Re: Trolls

    * Mark Kent peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Linonut espoused:
    >>
    >> Also, killfiles have some latency.

    > Not a great deal, unless, perhaps, you're using an extremely aged
    > machine. Again, leafnode would be a suitable alternative.

    By latency, I mean that it takes a few posts before you killfile the
    antagonist .

    --
    Void where prohibited by law.

  3. Re: Trolls

    Linonut writes:

    > * Mark Kent peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Linonut espoused:
    >>>
    >>> Also, killfiles have some latency.

    >> Not a great deal, unless, perhaps, you're using an extremely aged
    >> machine. Again, leafnode would be a suitable alternative.

    > By latency, I mean that it takes a few posts before you killfile the
    > antagonist .

    Should you not be bragging to your masters how you have killfiled entire
    servers with your "slrn" filters? You normally do.

  4. Re: Trolls

    Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:

    > As usenet is almost dead

    What a depressing thought.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | By bucking Microsoft for open source, says Gunderloy, "I'm no
    | longer contributing to the eventual death of programming."
    | ~ http://www.linux.com/feature/142083
    `----

    15:20:46 up 228 days, 11:56, 4 users, load average: 1.05, 1.06, 1.08

  5. Re: Trolls

    Verily I say unto thee, that Peter Köhlmann spake thusly:
    > Psyc Geek (TAB, Trent Allen Black) blubbered incoherently:

    >> ARE YOU PROUD OF WHAT YOU DID TO ME?

    > Nope. You simply get what you deserve. Most of the time not all of
    > it, but nonetheless...

    Three years later TAB is still singing the same tired old song, either
    lying about trying unsuccessfully to use Linux, or being genuinely too
    stupid to do so. I didn't think it was possible but he may actually be
    more ridiculous than Hardon or Ray Dopez.

    If Windows is so great, then why is he back here in COLA?

    Maybe he's just "upgraded" to Vista.

    Hehe.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | By bucking Microsoft for open source, says Gunderloy, "I'm no
    | longer contributing to the eventual death of programming."
    | ~ http://www.linux.com/feature/142083
    `----

    15:35:31 up 228 days, 12:10, 4 users, load average: 1.01, 1.08, 1.09

  6. Re: Trolls

    Homer espoused:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
    >
    >> As usenet is almost dead

    > What a depressing thought.

    I know. The recent attempts to daemonise it by associating whole
    hierarchies by particular types of porn don't help. One of my ISPs
    doesn't even keep its own news server any more, it proxies someone
    else's.

    Like all such things, there'll be an amazingly long tail, I'm sure.
    There were still telnet BBSs running a couple of years ago, and I think
    there's even still a gopher up somewhere.

  7. Re: Trolls

    Linonut espoused:
    > * Mark Kent peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Linonut espoused:
    >>>
    >>> Also, killfiles have some latency.

    >> Not a great deal, unless, perhaps, you're using an extremely aged
    >> machine. Again, leafnode would be a suitable alternative.

    > By latency, I mean that it takes a few posts before you killfile the
    > antagonist .

    Hahah! sorry, missed that entirely :-

  8. Re: Trolls

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 09:15:00 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    > cola is not a support group moron.

    It's not a Linux advocacy group either.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  9. Re: Trolls

    "Phil Da Lick!" writes:

    > Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    >> On Aug 4, 7:34 pm, Linonut wrote:
    >>> http://www.paulgraham.com/trolls.html
    >>>
    >>> There's a sort of Gresham's Law of trolls: trolls are willing to use
    >>> a forum with a lot of thoughtful people in it, but thoughtful people
    >>> aren't willing to use a forum with a lot of trolls in it. Which means
    >>> that once trolling takes hold, it tends to become the dominant
    >>> culture. That had already happened to Slashdot and Digg by the time I
    >>> paid attention to comment threads there, but I watched it happen to
    >>> Reddit.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.urban75.com/Mag/troll.html
    >>>
    >>> There are three reasons why people troll newsgroups:
    >>>
    >>> People post such messages to get attention, to disrupt newsgroups,
    >>> and simply to make trouble.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Brogan's Constant:
    >>> People tend to congregate in the back of the church and the
    >>> front of the bus.

    >> You are missing the BIG POINT that is not listed.
    >> When I tried linux, I was told IT JUST WORKS.
    >> Well, it did not just WORK. When I complained,
    >> COLA tells me I am too stupid, a liar, and more.
    >> Then I got hit with a distro is not linux,and i tried
    >> over 10 distro's.
    >>
    >> ARE YOU PROUD OF WHAT YOU DID TO ME?
    >> CONGRATS. You were a fine Linux advocate.
    >> I am sure the rest of the world will be glad
    >> flat fish, dfs, and i am to tell you our experiences.

    > cola is not a support group moron. There are plenty though, so either
    > you're incredibly stupid or you meet the second and third criteria.

    You better hide "Phil"! Liarnut will be along to tell you not be rude to
    people!

    LOL.

    --
    "Do a screen-shot of a text. Now disable anti-aliasing. Do again screen-shot of same text. Compare both. They are exactly the same."
    Peter Koehlmann, COLA, explaining Anti Aliasing ....

  10. Re: Trolls

    On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 08:14:21 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > The problem with the killfile is that search engines don't have one.

    Roy Schestowitz loves that feature.

    He would be out of business if that were true.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: Trolls

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 09:15:00 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >

    >> cola is not a support group moron.

    > It's not a Linux advocacy group either.

    Is that what it's supposed to be? I thought it was an MS hate group
    started by a bunch of anti.social misfits who clan together like rats
    around a sewer pipe.

    --
    "Do a screen-shot of a text. Now disable anti-aliasing. Do again screen-shot of same text. Compare both. They are exactly the same."
    Peter Koehlmann, COLA, explaining Anti Aliasing ....
    http://tinyurl.com/33672q

  12. Re: Trolls

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 15:50:30 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Linonut writes:
    >
    >> * Mark Kent peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> Linonut espoused:

    >>> Not a great deal, unless, perhaps, you're using an extremely aged
    >>> machine. Again, leafnode would be a suitable alternative.

    >> By latency, I mean that it takes a few posts before you killfile the
    >> antagonist .

    > Should you not be bragging to your masters how you have killfiled entire
    > servers with your "slrn" filters? You normally do.

    Hahah!

    And Roy Schestowitz had to ask Willy Poaster how to KF a person without
    blocking the entire ISP.

    They sure don't grow them too smart around here.
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  13. Re: Trolls

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 08:14:21 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >

    >> The problem with the killfile is that search engines don't have one.

    > Roy Schestowitz loves that feature.
    >
    > He would be out of business if that were true.

    I dare say you could construct a Google query to only return posts which
    do not contain "schestowitz" or "Linonut".

    --
    "Do a screen-shot of a text. Now disable anti-aliasing. Do again screen-shot of same text. Compare both. They are exactly the same."
    Peter Koehlmann, COLA, explaining Anti Aliasing ....
    http://tinyurl.com/33672q

  14. Re: Trolls

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 09:15:00 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >

    >> cola is not a support group moron.

    > It's not a Linux advocacy group either.

    Yes. It is. You see the clue is in the name.

  15. Re: Trolls

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 15:50:30 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Linonut writes:
    >>
    >>> * Mark Kent peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> By latency, I mean that it takes a few posts before you killfile the
    >>> antagonist .

    >> Should you not be bragging to your masters how you have killfiled entire
    >> servers with your "slrn" filters? You normally do.

    > Hahah!
    >
    > And Roy Schestowitz had to ask Willy Poaster how to KF a person without
    > blocking the entire ISP.
    >
    > They sure don't grow them too smart around here.

    I have to question Liarnut's sanity to be honest. He is almost
    schizophrenic in his posting. On one hand he is rude and insulting next
    he is telling people off for the same. One minute he does not use
    killfiles, next he is showing off how he blocks entire servers. Quite
    insane.

    --
    "Do a screen-shot of a text. Now disable anti-aliasing. Do again screen-shot of same text. Compare both. They are exactly the same."
    Peter Koehlmann, COLA, explaining Anti Aliasing ....
    http://tinyurl.com/33672q

  16. Re: Trolls

    Hardon Quick took a quick glance at the bbc.co.uk browser statistics
    info and promptly blew his wad, leaving this mess all over cola:
    > You better hide "Phil"! Liarnut will be along to tell you not be rude to
    > people!
    >
    > LOL.

    Thanks for the advice "Hardon".

  17. Re: Trolls

    On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 12:14:51 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 05 August 2008 07:15 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>>
    >>> ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Tuesday 05 August 2008 02:41 : \____

    >>> The more aggressive the get, the more desperate they are.
    >>>

    >> Personally, I recommend the use of a good, solid killfile... that way,
    >> although the trolls attempt to pullute the group, one doesn't see their
    >> pollution, so their trawling is ineffective.
    >>
    >> The other alternative is to find another discussion location, but as
    >> they'll merely move their anyway, it's not a sustainable solution,
    >> whereas a killfile is.

    > They already pollute Digg and Slashdot (I suspect they have done it in Slashdot
    > for much longer, though).

    You're the only one polluting Digg Roy Schestowitz, with your script
    induced SPAM which quite often uses one or more of your own sites as