[News] Shuttleworth on Development Practices; Less Complexity is Less Education - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Shuttleworth on Development Practices; Less Complexity is Less Education - Linux ; "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message news:2625260.hRJPK2KUMa@schestowitz.com... Somehow Roy managed to post this 1-hour from the future. Either that or he's too ****ing stupid to set his system time correctly. Which is more likely? ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **...

  1. Re: [News] Roy Schestowitz - Too retarded to set his system time properly

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    Somehow Roy managed to post this 1-hour from the future. Either that or he's
    too ****ing stupid to set his system time correctly.

    Which is more likely?

  2. [News] Shuttleworth on Development Practices; Less Complexity is Less Education

    Agile Plus Open Source Equals Developer Success

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Mark Shuttleworth, founder of Canonical and maintainer of Ubuntu Linux, said
    | blending agile development practices with open-source community development
    | is a key to successful software projects in the new world.
    `----

    http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Application...loper-Success/

    The 'Anti-Java' Professor and the Jobless Programmers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Dewar stresses that he’s not against Java itself. But the fact that Java is
    | taught as the core language in so many colleges is resulting in a weak field
    | of computer science grads, he says.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | But wait a second, Professor Dewar. (Actually, Dewar is both a professor and
    | a CEO. He co-founded AdaCore, whose clients include Boeing and Lockheed
    | Martin, so his experience includes decades in private industry.) I wanted to
    | ask him, since this list of popular programming languges puts Java at No. 1 –
    | ahead of biggies like C, C++ and Visual Basic – doesn’t that negate his
    | theory?
    |
    | I mean, if Java is this popular, maybe universities should teach it first. It
    | called “being in touch with the real world,” isn’t it?
    |
    | “This list is pretty meaningless in my opinion,” he says. “Using YouTube and
    | Google to measure popularity just means that you pick up the buzz factor.
    | Many serious application developers are not even present on the Web, which
    | tends to overemphasize academic and hobbyist views. As the list itself says,
    | this has nothing to do with quality of languages or level of usage.”
    `----

    http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/car...le.php/3761921

    Recent:

    Programming languages and "lock-in"

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In other words, while both systems theoretically give me the power to “modify
    | and improve” the software to satisfy my needs, only Plone practically gives
    | me that power (because I have the skill to make use of it). Even if I knew
    | PHP as well as I know Python, I might decide to use Plone because of a
    | preference for the object model, libraries, or ease-of-maintenance of Python.
    | These are matters of taste: another developer might just as readily prefer
    | PHP on exactly the same grounds. * * *
    |
    | In this way, each program attracts its own “developer culture” of programmers
    | who are familiar with and/or prefer a particular set of programming language,
    | libraries, and development tools. *
    |
    | None of these distinctions is particularly meaningful to a true “end user”,
    | who doesn’t care how the software works internally. And yet, they are
    | important. Because many “users” are not pure end users. In fact, in deploying
    | a CMS-based website, it’s very likely that you plan to do some development. *
    `----

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...nguage_lock_in

    Top Screencast Sites for Open-Source Developers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Let's say that you've decided to start using a new programming language or
    | framework. How can you learn what to do, or take some initial steps? Years
    | ago, the obvious answer was the buy a book, or perhaps a magazine. Today,
    | you're likely to read an online tutorial, or one of the many blogs that have
    | sprung up about many of these technologies.
    `----

    http://ostatic.com/170265-blog/top-s...rce-developers

  3. Re: [News] Roy Schestowitz - Too retarded to set his system time properly

    "Ezekiel" writes:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >

    > Somehow Roy managed to post this 1-hour from the future. Either that or he's
    > too ****ing stupid to set his system time correctly.
    >
    > Which is more likely?

    Well, his search engine, http://www.iuron.com seems to be from the past
    and simply does nothing so maybe he is a time traveller?

    --
    XP is a flop and when users are still asking for W98 it shows that they
    aren't all taken in with the MS hype.