Miguel de Icaza: "We could refresh the look and feel of the entire desktop with
Moonlight"

,----[ Quote ]
| de Icaza: This is a new group inside of Novell. Basically my team grew from
| about 30 to 40 people over the last year and a half. Most of the hires went
| to Moonlight, so now with 15 people working on Moonlight, the biggest part
| are new hires.
|
| [...]
|
| derStandard.at: You talked about re-using Silverlight / Moonlight for the
| desktop, is there already some concrete work happening, or are those still
| just ideas for the future?
|
| de Icaza: We are actually doing that right now, we have a couple of projects.
| Lunar Eclipse is our Silverlight designer for Linux and that is actually
| built entirely as a desktop Silverlight application. The idea is to have both
| a desktop and a web version. We also built Moonlight desklets, which is like
| Apples Dashboard.
|
| I am also trying to convince people that we need to redo certain desktop
| components using Moonlight because we could get a flashier, nicer user
| interface with the designers actually prototyping this interface in Inkscape
| or blender.
`----

http://derstandard.at/?url=/?id=1216918402134

Does Miguel try to kill non-Novell Linuxes?

"That is false. Moonlight is usable for anyone on any distribution of Linux
(redhat, ubuntu, etc.) -- it is not limited just to Novell as Mono is."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

-Brian Goldfarb [Microsoft lead developer]

Moonlight depends on Mono. On the other hand there's Sun, which is not a
gangster and makes available its RIA under the GNU GPL.

One Year On: Sun's JavaFX gets a preview release

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun has released a preview of JavaFX, their answer to Adobe's Flash/Flex and
| Microsoft's Silverlight, which was announced over a year ago at the JavaOne
| conference in 2007. Sun remained relatively quiet about JavaFX for the
| following year, but after breaking the silence at the 2008 JavaOne
| conference, they have now released a preview software development kit.
`----

Recent:

Above my Pay Grade: Miguel de Icaza and the Novell-Microsoft Agreement

,----[ Quote ]
| What's this about pay-grade? It's a military term, often misappropriated by
| civilians who are avoiding an ethical decision. It's a good excuse in the
| military: politicians are accountable for the decision to enter a war, while
| the military are oath-bound to follow orders at pain of court-martial and
| possibly execution, and are only accountable for the conduct of the war. But
| Miguel is no soldier. He's the founder of a company previously merged into
| Novell, and would not be subject to treason charges or capital punishment
| over this issue. Others, like Jeremy Allison, chose to leave the company
| while Miguel stayed. * * * *
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2008/3/10/37412

The unholy quad: Miguel, Mono, Moonlight and Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Nevertheless, this Usenet conversation has some points of interest. It
| illustrates again the way in which de Icaza, who by all accounts is a man
| with a very high IQ, refuses to look down the line and draw reasonable
| conclusions. *
|
| When asked "To what degree do you trust Microsoft, either in terms of their
| promises; their motivations; or their commitment to a competing platform like
| Linux?" he chooses to trivialise the question by responding "This is a
| question that is suitable for Teen magazine or Cosmo." *
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/17069/1090/1/0/

Related:

Miguel does a backflip on patent licensing deal

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/17036/1148/

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story...-NW-BZ-NV-0004

,----[ Quote ]
| Scoble: "I saw that internally inside Microsoft many times when I was told to
| stay away from supporting Mono in public. They reserve the right to sue."
`----

http://twitter.com/Scobleizer/statuses/764673949

MIX - Novell's de Icaza criticizes Microsoft patent deal

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.thestandard.com/news/2008...ft-patent-deal