The fiasco that is Linux: freezes 3x to 4x daily for a long time, still unsolved - Linux

This is a discussion on The fiasco that is Linux: freezes 3x to 4x daily for a long time, still unsolved - Linux ; Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote: > On Aug 4, 10:28 am, Rick wrote: >> On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 10:23:12 -0400, DFS wrote: >>> "Has the freeze bug been definitely solved yet? Because I continue >>> to have them daily....even three ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. Re: The fiasco that is Linux: freezes 3x to 4x daily for a long time, still unsolved

    Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    > On Aug 4, 10:28 am, Rick wrote:
    >> On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 10:23:12 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>> "Has the freeze bug been definitely solved yet? Because I continue
    >>> to have them daily....even three or four times a day. I would like a
    >>> definite solution to this problem, because this has been going on
    >>> for a long time now unsolved."

    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=15

    >> Lying DFS:
    >>
    >> Ubunt != Linux != Ubuntu

    blah blah blah

    "Fedora is Linux"
    "A problem in Fedora may be a Linux problem, or it may be a Fedora problem."
    "Linux is just the kernel"
    "Ubuntu isn't Linux"
    Linux "is my main operating system."
    There's a "difference between Linux and a Linux based distribution."

    >>> But but but...

    >>> * many eyes looking at the source code?

    >> Yes, there are.

    That they can't fix the long-term freezing problem indicates two things:

    1) they're incompetent
    2) there actually are very few people reviewing the source code

    >>> * responsive developer "community"?

    >> Yes, it is

    So why are these Linux victims suffering for so long, and continuing to
    complain?

    >>> * Linux is more stable than Windows?

    >> from my experience? Yes.

    Then why do so many Linux victims explicitly say they're going back to
    Windows because Linux is so unstable?

    > The freezes are posted in the Ubuntu forum.
    > There are several users having the problem.

    Several hundred, at least. 1600 freezing posts in 3 threads, dating back
    almost 1.5 years. For just this one distro, and all major distros have
    freezing complaints.

  2. Re: The fiasco that is Linux: freezes 3x to 4x daily for a long time, still unsolved

    TomB wrote:
    > On 2008-08-04, DFS wrote:
    >> "Has the freeze bug been definitely solved yet? Because I continue
    >> to have them daily....even three or four times a day. I would like a
    >> definite solution to this problem, because this has been going on
    >> for a long time now unsolved."
    >>
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=15

    > The original Ubuntu 8.04 release was indeed horrible on *a lot* of
    > systems. I experienced those issues as well

    On the first page, www.ubuntu.com claims Ubuntu is "perfect for laptops,
    desktops and servers." I wonde why they forgot to link to the freezing
    threads in their forums?

    > and eventually moved back
    > to Debian Lenny, which I do not regret.
    >
    > But - as stated by someone else already - Ubuntu isn't GNU/Linux.
    > Sometimes a faulty distribution emerges. That's life.

    You gotta learn the two most important cola rules:
    1. isn't Linux when is screwing up
    2. is Linux when works

  3. Re: The fiasco that is Linux: freezes 3x to 4x daily for a longtime, still unsolved

    "DFS" stated in post
    Y1Qlk.4858$IB6.2788@bignews8.bellsouth.net on 8/4/08 8:48 PM:

    > TomB wrote:
    >> On 2008-08-04, DFS wrote:
    >>> "Has the freeze bug been definitely solved yet? Because I continue
    >>> to have them daily....even three or four times a day. I would like a
    >>> definite solution to this problem, because this has been going on
    >>> for a long time now unsolved."
    >>>
    >>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=15

    >> The original Ubuntu 8.04 release was indeed horrible on *a lot* of
    >> systems. I experienced those issues as well

    > On the first page, www.ubuntu.com claims Ubuntu is "perfect for laptops,
    > desktops and servers." I wonde why they forgot to link to the freezing
    > threads in their forums?
    >

    >> and eventually moved back
    >> to Debian Lenny, which I do not regret.
    >>
    >> But - as stated by someone else already - Ubuntu isn't GNU/Linux.
    >> Sometimes a faulty distribution emerges. That's life.

    > You gotta learn the two most important cola rules:
    > 1. isn't Linux when is screwing up
    > 2. is Linux when works

    And when looking at user base one should include all distros... after all
    they are all Linux... but in other contexts each distro is merely a
    Linux-based OS... and should be looked at as separate OSs.

    --
    Picture of a tuna milkshake: http://snipurl.com/f34z
    Feel free to ask for the recipe.

  4. Re: The fiasco that is Linux: freezes 3x to 4x daily for a longtime, still unsolved

    On 2008-08-05, DFS wrote:

    >> The freezes are posted in the Ubuntu forum.
    >> There are several users having the problem.

    > Several hundred, at least. 1600 freezing posts in 3 threads, dating back
    > almost 1.5 years. For just this one distro, and all major distros have
    > freezing complaints.

    That's not true. I'm using Debian - which is a major distro - and it
    never ever froze on me. But indeed, Ubuntu did, and that's why I said
    bye to it.

    --
    I've got more chins than China Town.
    ~ Weird Al Yancovich

  5. Re: The fiasco that is Linux: freezes 3x to 4x daily for a long time, still unsolved

    On 2008-08-06, TomB wrote:
    > On 2008-08-05, DFS wrote:
    >
    >>> The freezes are posted in the Ubuntu forum.
    >>> There are several users having the problem.

    >> Several hundred, at least. 1600 freezing posts in 3 threads, dating back

    To be clear, that's 1600 posts about freezing.

    Much like this post, you can't assume that there's a 1:1
    correspondence to individual systems experiencing this
    problem and individual posted messages.

    --
    ....as if the ability to run Cubase ever made or broke a platform.
    / | \

  6. Re: The fiasco that is Linux: freezes 3x to 4x daily for a long time, still unsolved

    TomB wrote:
    > On 2008-08-05, DFS wrote:
    >
    >>> The freezes are posted in the Ubuntu forum.
    >>> There are several users having the problem.

    >> Several hundred, at least. 1600 freezing posts in 3 threads, dating
    >> back almost 1.5 years. For just this one distro, and all major
    >> distros have freezing complaints.

    > That's not true. I'm using Debian - which is a major distro - and it
    > never ever froze on me. But indeed, Ubuntu did, and that's why I said
    > bye to it.

    Debian Etch: "I installed debian etch. Ran fine for a while, then the same
    freezing problem."
    #148 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=412125&page=15

    RedHat: "I have a PC with RedHat Linux installed...at regular times, weekly
    exactly the same time!, the PC 'freezes'? ... There's nothing I can do at
    that moment besides a hardware reboot."
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...reezes-601972/

    Suse 10.3: "Last few days I have been confronted with a weird behavior of my
    SUSE 10.3 system. Several time a day all of the sudden it freezes. Then I
    have to reboot ... "
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hlight=freezes

    Slackware 12.0: "Bit worrisome this. I have had two system freezes today on
    my new Slackware 12 installation."
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hlight=freezes

    Mint 4.0: "So I switched [from Gentoo] to Linux Mint 4.0 and in the last 3
    days I have had 2 system freezes."
    http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic...freezes#p67069

    PCLinuxOS: "About 4 times each day, the whole system freezes up."
    1st post at http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=35878.0

    DreamLinux: "...I clicked on PLAY for one of the sounds and the entire
    system froze."
    http://dreamlinuxforums.org/index.php/topic,1217.0.html

    Mandriva 2008: "...did a clean install of Mandriva 2008 and it has been
    freezing a lot, regardless of what i am doing."
    http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic....3a9dc185854a5a

    Sabayon: "...took 27hrs to install.....till I try to do anything......next
    thing my task bar disappears...my program selector disappears...I do
    anything....it freezes up solid.."
    http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/vi...freezes#p67138

    ArchLinux: "I have Asus A6M Q0050 and last three weeks I experience random
    freezes."

    CentOS 5.1: "It just simply freezes."
    http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/...forumpost37948

    Ubuntu 8.04: "Hardy is BY FAR the worst Ubuntu version yet. LOCKUP
    WARNING!!! Some users, myself included, are experiencing random total
    lockups."
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/204996

    Fedora 8: "I've been having frequent lock-ups with Fedora 8 for some days."
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...hlight=freezes

    Puppy: "The whole system freezes after a short time."
    http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/vie...323145&t=27550

    [Some] Linux [somewhere] just works

  7. Re: The fiasco that is Linux: freezes 3x to 4x daily for a long time,still unsolved

    On Aug 6, 9:10*pm, "DFS" wrote:
    > TomB wrote:

    > >> Several hundred, at least. *1600 freezing posts in 3 threads, dating
    > >> back almost 1.5 years. *For just this one distro, and all major
    > >> distros have freezing complaints.

    > > That's not true. I'm using Debian - which is a major distro - and it
    > > never ever froze on me. But indeed, Ubuntu did, and that's why I said
    > > bye to it.

    > Debian Etch: "I installed debian etch. Ran fine for a while, then the same
    > freezing problem."
    > #148 athttp://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=412125&page=15
    >
    > RedHat: "I have a PC with RedHat Linux installed...at regular times, weekly
    > exactly the same time!, the PC 'freezes'? *... There's nothing I can doat
    > that moment besides a hardware reboot."http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/linux-pc-freez...
    >
    > Suse 10.3: "Last few days I have been confronted with a weird behavior ofmy
    > SUSE 10.3 system. Several time a day all of the sudden it freezes. Then I
    > have to reboot ... "http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/susenovell-60/suse-10.3-freez...
    >
    > Slackware 12.0: "Bit worrisome this. I have had two system freezes today on
    > my new Slackware 12 installation."http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/slackware-12-sys...
    >
    > Mint 4.0: "So I switched [from Gentoo] to Linux Mint 4.0 and in the last 3
    > days I have had 2 system freezes."http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10950&p=67069&hilit=fr...
    >
    > PCLinuxOS: "About 4 times each day, the whole system freezes up."
    > 1st post athttp://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=35878.0
    >
    > DreamLinux: "...I clicked on PLAY for one of the sounds and the entire
    > system froze."http://dreamlinuxforums.org/index.php/topic,1217.0.html
    >
    > Mandriva 2008: "...did a clean install of Mandriva 2008 and it has been
    > freezing a lot, regardless of what i am doing."http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=81648&highlight=freezes&sid...
    >
    > Sabayon: "...took 27hrs to install.....till I try to do anything......next
    > thing my task bar disappears...my program selector disappears...I do
    > anything....it freezes up solid.."http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=11698&p=67138&...
    >
    > ArchLinux: "I have Asus A6M Q0050 and last three weeks I experience random
    > freezes."http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=44765
    >
    > CentOS 5.1: "It just simply freezes."http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11599&foru...
    >
    > Ubuntu 8.04: "Hardy is BY FAR the worst Ubuntu version yet. LOCKUP
    > WARNING!!! *Some users, myself included, are experiencing random total
    > lockups."https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/204996
    >
    > Fedora 8: "I've been having frequent lock-ups with Fedora 8 for some days.."http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=177912&highlight....
    >
    > Puppy: "The whole system freezes after a short time."http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=1213323145&t...
    >
    > [Some] Linux [somewhere] just works

    System>About says I have Ubuntu 8.04.

    It freezes about once a month for me just running programs for web
    programming,
    which is mostly Net Beans.

    Freezes 5-8 times a day, if doing any google music video's.

    I get less freezes cause I have a bug in my bios. Linux tells me on
    boot.

    Music Video really gets messed up fast, in Opera, and is much better
    in FireFox.

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.

  8. Re: The fiasco that is Linux: freezes 3x to 4x daily for a long time, still unsolved

    On 2008-08-07, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    > On Aug 6, 9:10*pm, "DFS" wrote:
    >> TomB wrote:

    ....yeah. Like I said before.

    ....because every post in a forum necessarily has a 1:1 correspondence
    to a unique user having the problem.

    [deletia]

    >> Ubuntu 8.04: "Hardy is BY FAR the worst Ubuntu version yet. LOCKUP
    >> WARNING!!! *Some users, myself included, are experiencing random total
    >> lockups."https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/204996
    >>
    >> Fedora 8: "I've been having frequent lock-ups with Fedora 8 for some days."http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=177912&highlight...
    >>
    >> Puppy: "The whole system freezes after a short time."http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=1213323145&t...
    >>
    >> [Some] Linux [somewhere] just works

    > System>About says I have Ubuntu 8.04.
    >
    > It freezes about once a month for me just running programs for web
    > programming,
    > which is mostly Net Beans.

    That's funny because I do all of this CONSTANTLY and never manage
    to have freezes in 8.04. I can be torturing the system with something
    triggering high io waits and using up all the available CPU cycles
    and not trigger these mythical freezes you guys like to make so
    much noise about.

    > Freezes 5-8 times a day, if doing any google music video's.

    This includes the web video too. Although my preference is for h264
    stuff on the LAN,

    --
    On the subject of kilobyte being "redefined" to mean 1000 bytes...

    When I was a wee lad, I was taught that SI units were |||
    meant to be computationally convenient rather than just / | \
    arbitrarily assigned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2