[News] Xubuntu Xtreme Makes Xubuntu Even Easier - Linux

  1. [News] Xubuntu Xtreme Makes Xubuntu Even Easier

    A Quick Look at Xubuntu Xtreme

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Unlike PC/OS and Linux Mint, Xubuntu Xtreme doesn’t make any attempt to call
    | itself a new distribution. It’s just Xubuntu with stuff added. You can read
    | more about what’s added here, but to summarize, you get multimedia codecs,
    | Java, Flash, DVD playback, some extra themes, and a few extra programs
    | already installed.
    `----

    http://linuxmoderate.wordpress.com/2...ubuntu-xtreme/

    Recent:

    Xubuntu Hardy Heron is Ready for Takeoff

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | “So far, so good.” That is all I can say when I tested Xubuntu 8.04 RC last
    | night on my Macbook Pro. I didn’t want to wait for tomorrow’s distribution
    | release because I know the download will be slow during that time due to
    | expected heavy traffic. Anyway, the Release Candidate version will almost be
    | the same as the finished product, I think. * *
    `----

    http://www.junauza.com/2008/04/xubun...ready-for.html

    Xubuntu on Macbook Pro (Penryn)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I couldn’t stop the urge to install Linux on my new Macbook Pro. I know I
    | said on one of my recent posts that I will have to wait for the release of
    | Ubuntu 8.04 “Hardy Heron” before I’ll take the plunge. However, I changed my
    | mind and decided to install Xubuntu 7.10 “Gutsy Gibbon” instead. *
    `----

    http://www.junauza.com/2008/04/xubun...ro-penryn.html

    Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102218

    Social inclusion with Xubuntu: A tale of free software changing lives

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | M6-IT, a Community Interest Community in the UK, are part way through a
    | project to equip socially excluded families with computers running Xubuntu.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The project is funded from a local regeneration budget, and supported by a
    | partnership of four local schools called Quadrant C. Working with them we
    | have identified pupils moving into secondary school who don’t have access to
    | a home computer. We invite the families to a training session. The next step
    | is to provide Internet access and a home computer for the family. * *
    `----

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...changing_lives

    eeeXubuntu

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This morning I installed eeeXubuntu on the solid state disk of the little
    | Eee. It's pretty cool. The default Xandros in advanced mode was okay, but it *
    | was also a bit limiting. Honestly, I've not had the greatest experiences with
    | Xandros, and was a little nervous about enabling repositories that weren't
    | necessarily for Xandros... or at least the watered-down version of Xandros
    | the Eee runs. * *
    `----

    http://www.linuxlibrarian.org/?p=255

    eeeXubuntu booting great from SDHC on Asus eeePC

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I blew away XP on my eeePC and restored the original Xandros - great little
    | OS in Easy Mode with iceWM. I also enabled advanced mode (a full KDE desktop)
    | using pimpmyeee.sh (Google it - its a no-brainer quick way to enabled KDE).
    | You can switch back and forth nice and easily.
    `----

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/tonyhughes/4535

  2. Re: [News] Xubuntu Xtreme Makes Xubuntu Even Easier

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > A Quick Look at Xubuntu Xtreme
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Unlike PC/OS and Linux Mint, Xubuntu Xtreme doesn’t make any attempt to
    > | call itself a new distribution. It’s just Xubuntu with stuff added. You
    > | can read more about what’s added here, but to summarize, you get
    > | multimedia codecs, Java, Flash, DVD playback, some extra themes, and a
    > | few extra programs already installed.
    > `----

    http://linuxmoderate.wordpress.com/2...ubuntu-xtreme/

    One of the more important extras, in my opinion, is VirtualBox preloaded.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  3. Re: [News] Xubuntu Xtreme Makes Xubuntu Even Easier

  4. Re: [News] Xubuntu Xtreme Makes Xubuntu Even Easier

    Roy Schestowitz writes:

    G> A Quick Look at Xubuntu Xtreme
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Unlike PC/OS and Linux Mint, Xubuntu Xtreme doesn’t make any attempt to call
    > | itself a new distribution. It’s just Xubuntu with stuff added. You can read
    > | more about what’s added here, but to summarize, you get multimedia codecs,
    > | Java, Flash, DVD playback, some extra themes, and a few extra programs
    > | already installed.
    > `----
    >
    > http://linuxmoderate.wordpress.com/2...ubuntu-xtreme/

    Unbelievable.

    So a new name. A new "distro". And all it is pretty much a dkpg file
    list. What a joke.

    ,----
    | #!/bin/bash
    | # restore-packages - bash script for Ubuntu.
    | # Script to restore Ubuntu packages from a package list
    | # generated by the partner script save-packages
    | # August 07 Hadron.
    | packagesfile=$1
    | if [ "$1" = "" ]; then
    | packagesfile=$(hostname)"-installed-packages.txt"
    | echo "No filename specified so using default filename to restore packages - " $packagesfile
    | fi
    | sudo dpkg --set-selections < $packagesfile
    | sudo dselect update
    | sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade
    | echo "Done!"
    `----

  5. Re: [News] Xubuntu Xtreme Makes Xubuntu Even Easier

    On 2008-08-04, Hadron wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz writes:
    >
    > G> A Quick Look at Xubuntu Xtreme
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Unlike PC/OS and Linux Mint, Xubuntu Xtreme doesn’t make any attempt to call
    >> | itself a new distribution. It’s just Xubuntu with stuff added. You can read
    >> | more about what’s added here, but to summarize, you get multimedia codecs,
    >> | Java, Flash, DVD playback, some extra themes, and a few extra programs
    >> | already installed.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://linuxmoderate.wordpress.com/2...ubuntu-xtreme/

    > Unbelievable.
    >
    > So a new name. A new "distro". And all it is pretty much a dkpg file
    > list. What a joke.

    If it weren't that you would be whining that the end user would have
    some unbearable burden like installing all of this stuff themselves.

    Nevermind that a fresh install of Vista isn't going to be as functional.

    [deletia]

    --
    Sure, I could use iTunes even under Linux. However, I have |||
    better things to do with my time than deal with how iTunes doesn't / | \

  6. Re: [News] Xubuntu Xtreme Makes Xubuntu Even Easier

    JEDIDIAH writes:

    > On 2008-08-04, Hadron wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz writes:
    >>
    >> G> A Quick Look at Xubuntu Xtreme
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://linuxmoderate.wordpress.com/2...ubuntu-xtreme/

    >> Unbelievable.
    >>
    >> So a new name. A new "distro". And all it is pretty much a dkpg file
    >> list. What a joke.

    > If it weren't that you would be whining that the end user would have
    > some unbearable burden like installing all of this stuff themselves.

    No I would not. I have frequently asked WHY distros exist when a good
    solid one like Debian can be set up like the "new distro" in only a few
    minutes.

    But lets not let the truth get in the way of a typical COLA lie and
    slur.

    And heres how I did it on new ubuntu machines: (you snipped it in your
    reply).

    ,----
    | #!/bin/bash
    | # restore-packages - bash script for Ubuntu.
    | # Script to restore Ubuntu packages from a package list
    | # generated by the partner script save-packages
    | # August 07 Hadron.
    | packagesfile=$1
    | if [ "$1" = "" ]; then
    | packagesfile=$(hostname)"-installed-packages.txt"
    | echo "No filename specified so using default filename to restore packages - " $packagesfile
    | fi
    | sudo dpkg --set-selections < $packagesfile
    | sudo dselect update
    | sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade
    | echo "Done!"
    `----

    So once again you are proven to be a liar.

  7. Re: [News] Xubuntu Xtreme Makes Xubuntu Even Easier

    On 2008-08-04, Hadron wrote:
    > JEDIDIAH writes:

    >>> Unbelievable.
    >>>
    >>> So a new name. A new "distro". And all it is pretty much a dkpg file
    >>> list. What a joke.

    >> If it weren't that you would be whining that the end user would have
    >> some unbearable burden like installing all of this stuff themselves.

    > No I would not. I have frequently asked WHY distros exist when a good
    > solid one like Debian can be set up like the "new distro" in only a few
    > minutes.
    >
    > But lets not let the truth get in the way of a typical COLA lie and
    > slur.
    >
    > And heres how I did it on new ubuntu machines: (you snipped it in your
    > reply).
    >
    > ,----
    >| #!/bin/bash
    >| # restore-packages - bash script for Ubuntu.
    >| # Script to restore Ubuntu packages from a package list
    >| # generated by the partner script save-packages
    >| # August 07 Hadron.
    >| packagesfile=$1
    >| if [ "$1" = "" ]; then
    >| packagesfile=$(hostname)"-installed-packages.txt"
    >| echo "No filename specified so using default filename to restore packages - " $packagesfile
    >| fi
    >| sudo dpkg --set-selections < $packagesfile
    >| sudo dselect update
    >| sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade
    >| echo "Done!"
    > `----
    >
    > So once again you are proven to be a liar.

    Let's see...

    You posted a procedure that's unecessarily complicated and then seriously
    expect us to believe that you would not characterize that as "burdensome"
    end users? You are lying badly in a silly attempt to mischaracterize me.

    --
    Sure, I could use iTunes even under Linux. However, I have |||
    better things to do with my time than deal with how iTunes doesn't / | \
    want to play nicely with everyone else's data (namely mine). I'd
    rather create a DVD using those Linux apps we're told don't exist.

  8. Re: [News] Xubuntu Xtreme Makes Xubuntu Even Easier

    JEDIDIAH writes:

    > On 2008-08-04, Hadron wrote:
    >> JEDIDIAH writes:

    >>> If it weren't that you would be whining that the end user would have
    >>> some unbearable burden like installing all of this stuff themselves.

    >> No I would not. I have frequently asked WHY distros exist when a good
    >> solid one like Debian can be set up like the "new distro" in only a few
    >> minutes.
    >>
    >> But lets not let the truth get in the way of a typical COLA lie and
    >> slur.
    >>
    >> And heres how I did it on new ubuntu machines: (you snipped it in your
    >> reply).
    >>
    >> ,----
    >>| #!/bin/bash
    >>| # restore-packages - bash script for Ubuntu.
    >>| # Script to restore Ubuntu packages from a package list
    >>| # generated by the partner script save-packages
    >>| # August 07 Hadron.
    >>| packagesfile=$1
    >>| if [ "$1" = "" ]; then
    >>| packagesfile=$(hostname)"-installed-packages.txt"
    >>| echo "No filename specified so using default filename to restore packages - " $packagesfile
    >>| fi
    >>| sudo dpkg --set-selections < $packagesfile
    >>| sudo dselect update
    >>| sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade
    >>| echo "Done!"
    >> `----
    >>
    >> So once again you are proven to be a liar.

    > Let's see...
    >
    > You posted a procedure that's unecessarily complicated and then seriously
    > expect us to believe that you would not characterize that as "burdensome"
    > end users? You are lying badly in a silly attempt to
    > mischaracterize me.

    So typing "restore-packages" in a shell is unnecessatrily complicated?
    Compared to installing a new distro.

    You REALLY need to change your dosage.

    Oh. Hang on.

    You did not realise it was a simple bash script did you?

    LOL!

  9. Re: [News] Xubuntu Xtreme Makes Xubuntu Even Easier

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 18:45:06 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > JEDIDIAH writes:

    xubuntu-xtreme/

    >>> Unbelievable.
    >>>
    >>> So a new name. A new "distro". And all it is pretty much a dkpg file
    >>> list. What a joke.

    >> If it weren't that you would be whining that the end user would have
    >> some unbearable burden like installing all of this stuff themselves.

    > No I would not. I have frequently asked WHY distros exist when a good
    > solid one like Debian can be set up like the "new distro" in only a few
    > minutes.
    >
    > But lets not let the truth get in the way of a typical COLA lie and
    > slur.
    >
    > And heres how I did it on new ubuntu machines: (you snipped it in your
    > reply).
    >
    > ,----
    > | #!/bin/bash
    > | # restore-packages - bash script for Ubuntu. | # Script to restore
    > Ubuntu packages from a package list | # generated by the partner script
    > save-packages | # August 07 Hadron.
    > | packagesfile=$1
    > | if [ "$1" = "" ]; then
    > | packagesfile=$(hostname)"-installed-packages.txt" | echo "No
    > filename specified so using default filename to restore packages - "
    > $packagesfile | fi
    > | sudo dpkg --set-selections < $packagesfile | sudo dselect update
    > | sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade
    > | echo "Done!"
    > `----
    >
    > So once again you are proven to be a liar.

    So, why did Canonical/Shuttleworth develop Ubuntu?

    --
    Rick

  10. Re: [News] Xubuntu Xtreme Makes Xubuntu Even Easier

    On 2008-08-04, Hadron wrote:
    > JEDIDIAH writes:

    >>> No I would not. I have frequently asked WHY distros exist when a good
    >>> solid one like Debian can be set up like the "new distro" in only a few
    >>> minutes.
    >>>
    >>> But lets not let the truth get in the way of a typical COLA lie and
    >>> slur.
    >>>
    >>> And heres how I did it on new ubuntu machines: (you snipped it in your
    >>> reply).
    >>>
    >>> ,----
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> So once again you are proven to be a liar.

    >> Let's see...
    >>
    >> You posted a procedure that's unecessarily complicated and then seriously
    >> expect us to believe that you would not characterize that as "burdensome"
    >> end users? You are lying badly in a silly attempt to
    >> mischaracterize me.

    > So typing "restore-packages" in a shell is unnecessatrily complicated?

    A shell script isn't even required for that.

    --
    Sure, I could use iTunes even under Linux. However, I have |||
    better things to do with my time than deal with how iTunes doesn't / | \
    want to play nicely with everyone else's data (namely mine). I'd
    rather create a DVD using those Linux apps we're told don't exist.

  11. Re: [News] Xubuntu Xtreme Makes Xubuntu Even Easier

    On 2008-08-04, Rick wrote:
    > On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 18:45:06 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> JEDIDIAH writes:

    [deletia]
    >> And heres how I did it on new ubuntu machines: (you snipped it in your
    >> reply).
    >>
    >> ,----
    >> | #!/bin/bash
    >> | # restore-packages - bash script for Ubuntu. | # Script to restore
    >> Ubuntu packages from a package list | # generated by the partner script
    >> save-packages | # August 07 Hadron.
    >> | packagesfile=$1
    >> | if [ "$1" = "" ]; then
    >> | packagesfile=$(hostname)"-installed-packages.txt" | echo "No
    >> filename specified so using default filename to restore packages - "
    >> $packagesfile | fi
    >> | sudo dpkg --set-selections < $packagesfile | sudo dselect update
    >> | sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade
    >> | echo "Done!"
    >> `----
    >>
    >> So once again you are proven to be a liar.

    > So, why did Canonical/Shuttleworth develop Ubuntu?

    Better question: What Debian/Ubuntu packages are these scripts from?

    --
    Sure, I could use iTunes even under Linux. However, I have |||
    better things to do with my time than deal with how iTunes doesn't / | \
    want to play nicely with everyone else's data (namely mine). I'd
    rather create a DVD using those Linux apps we're told don't exist.

  12. Re: [News] Xubuntu Xtreme Makes Xubuntu Even Easier

    ____/ Rick on Monday 04 August 2008 17:18 : \____

    > On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 18:45:06 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> JEDIDIAH writes:

    > xubuntu-xtreme/

    >>> If it weren't that you would be whining that the end user would have
    >>> some unbearable burden like installing all of this stuff themselves.

    >> No I would not. I have frequently asked WHY distros exist when a good
    >> solid one like Debian can be set up like the "new distro" in only a few
    >> minutes.
    >>
    >> But lets not let the truth get in the way of a typical COLA lie and
    >> slur.
    >>
    >> And heres how I did it on new ubuntu machines: (you snipped it in your
    >> reply).
    >>
    >> ,----
    >> | #!/bin/bash
    >> | # restore-packages - bash script for Ubuntu. | # Script to restore
    >> Ubuntu packages from a package list | # generated by the partner script
    >> save-packages | # August 07 Hadron.
    >> | packagesfile=$1
    >> | if [ "$1" = "" ]; then
    >> | packagesfile=$(hostname)"-installed-packages.txt" | echo "No
    >> filename specified so using default filename to restore packages - "
    >> $packagesfile | fi
    >> | sudo dpkg --set-selections < $packagesfile | sudo dselect update
    >> | sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade
    >> | echo "Done!"
    >> `----
    >>
    >> So once again you are proven to be a liar.

    > So, why did Canonical/Shuttleworth develop Ubuntu?

    It's rhetorical.

    Your entering a hyperbole with the Microsoft Munchkin. I think Jedidiah has
    already nailed one on the coffin of a no-brainer. :-)

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    "Bill Gates looks at everything as something that should be his. He acts in any
    way he can to make it his. It can be an idea, market share, or a contract.
    There is not an ounce of conscientiousness or compassion in him. The notion of
    fairness means nothing to him. The only thing he understands is leverage."
    --Philippe Kahn

  13. Re: [News] Xubuntu Xtreme Makes Xubuntu Even Easier

    "Rick" stated in post
    1JydnWYamsdMpArVnZ2dnUVZ_qTinZ2d@supernews.com on 8/4/08 10:18 AM:

    > On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 18:45:06 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> JEDIDIAH writes:

    > xubuntu-xtreme/

    >>> If it weren't that you would be whining that the end user would have
    >>> some unbearable burden like installing all of this stuff themselves.

    >> No I would not. I have frequently asked WHY distros exist when a good
    >> solid one like Debian can be set up like the "new distro" in only a few
    >> minutes.
    >>
    >> But lets not let the truth get in the way of a typical COLA lie and
    >> slur.
    >>
    >> And heres how I did it on new ubuntu machines: (you snipped it in your
    >> reply).
    >>
    >> ,----
    >> | #!/bin/bash
    >> | # restore-packages - bash script for Ubuntu. | # Script to restore
    >> Ubuntu packages from a package list | # generated by the partner script
    >> save-packages | # August 07 Hadron.
    >> | packagesfile=$1
    >> | if [ "$1" = "" ]; then
    >> | packagesfile=$(hostname)"-installed-packages.txt" | echo "No
    >> filename specified so using default filename to restore packages - "
    >> $packagesfile | fi
    >> | sudo dpkg --set-selections < $packagesfile | sudo dselect update
    >> | sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade
    >> | echo "Done!"
    >> `----
    >>
    >> So once again you are proven to be a liar.

    > So, why did Canonical/Shuttleworth develop Ubuntu?

    I have pointed you - repeatedly - to words that should help you figure out
    some of the reasons on your own:

    Shuttleworth:
    Rather than saying: "GNOME wins, KDE looses" I'd like us to
    say: "How can we get this communities to sit down and talk to
    each other"? ... I'm very interested in finding out, how to
    get those two communities working closer together, how to get
    more collaboration, more sharing. Both at the level of
    technology but also at the level of best practices /
    processes.
    I'd like to see both desktops focusing on a common
    infrastructure. And we've already seen that, a lot of the
    Freedesktop initiatives have been embraced by both projects -
    HAL, d-bus for instance.

    This also applies to other software projects, if you name
    your project g-something or k-something your are articulating
    a very specific user experience. Projects should really look
    to the whole Linux desktop and see how they can appeal to
    both sides.
    The fact that OS X is growing, tells us that Windows is
    weakening. The fact that OS X is growing and Linux isn't,
    tells you that OS X is offering things that Linux is not.
    One of those is the pace of change, the level of innovation.
    You really have to give credit to Apple for driving
    innovation.
    And at the moment we [the free software folks] don't offer
    a particular easy place to go and express your technology.

    Question:
    What do you see as the main obstacles holding back the
    success of the Linux desktop?

    Shuttleworth:
    I think we don't yet deliver a good enough user experience. I
    think we deliver a user experience for people that have a
    reason to want to be on the Linux platform, either because of
    price or because of freedom. If that was your primary reason,
    Linux is the right answer.

    But if you are somebody who is not too concerned about price,
    who is not too concerned about freedom, I don't think we can
    say the Linux desktop offers the very best experience. And
    that's something we have to change, that's something I'm
    committed to work on, focusing increasing amounts of
    resources of Canonical on figuring out on how we actually
    move the desktop experience forward to compete with Mac OS X.

    Shuttleworth:
    Second thing is, we just can't do this only on GNOME or just
    on KDE, we need to figure out on how to move the whole Linux
    desktop platform forward. I suspect if we hire a bunch of
    upstream developers they will be across both GNOME and KDE.

    I think the Apple guys have a very good point when they say
    we should let designers lead the definition of the user
    experience.

    --
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
    --Albert Einstein

+ Reply to Thread