[News] 7% of the PCs in the UK Claimed to Have No Windows - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] 7% of the PCs in the UK Claimed to Have No Windows - Linux ; On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 09:09:18 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote: > It always amuses me that the windummies assume that anyone who advocates > the use of linux *must* be a bearded hippy with communist tendancies and > therefore ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 78 of 78

  1. Re: [News] 7% of the PCs in the UK Claimed to Have No Windows

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 09:09:18 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:

    > It always amuses me that the windummies assume that anyone who advocates
    > the use of linux *must* be a bearded hippy with communist tendancies and
    > therefore must be totally against copyright et al.

    You mean like these guys?

    http://www.abiword.org/~abi/expo99/expo_02_010_full.jpg

    Or these guys?

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/fcb/689...n/set-1485493/

    > Sheesh, but these guys are dumb.

    Whatever.....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: [News] 7% of the PCs in the UK Claimed to Have No Windows

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 11:49:42 GMT, Tony(UK) wrote:

    > On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 11:03:31 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >
    >> One thing... Your text width settings are off... Set them to about 75 or
    >> so. Your posts look ugly and more difficult to read when they go beyond
    >> 80 due to all the line breaks.

    > Thanks for that Andrew - would you happen to know
    > how do I set the text width to 75 please in Pan?
    > I do get a warning that the width is over 80, but I have wrap on, but
    > do not know how to adjust this.
    > (I have searched etc. to no avail yet).
    >
    > All the Best,
    >
    > Tony(UK)

    Settings >General Settings >Posting lower right hand corner "Wrap text at"
    fill in the box...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  3. Re: [News] 7% of the PCs in the UK Claimed to Have No Windows

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 11:13:48 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> First off Gary Stewert is not my real name, Mark Kent and the other Linux
    >> hypocrites know that full well.

    > No, we don't. Flatfish has been identified as "Gary Stewart" and admitted it
    > himself in the past. However, as flatfish once also admitted to sharing the
    > nick with a group of trolly friends it is possible that gary was only one of
    > the flatfish collaborists. So maybe you're not.
    >
    > One thing is for sure though. We do not know your name is not Gary.
    >
    >> As for Mark Kent, he has the title of COLA's biggest hypocrite.

    > Only in your deluded little brain. (and those of your cronies)

    Moshe is my name.
    Exposing Linux frauds, fakes and phonies is my game

    Would you like to play?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: [News] 7% of the PCs in the UK Claimed to Have No Windows

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 09:09:18 +0100, Phil Da Lick! wrote:
    >

    >> It always amuses me that the windummies assume that anyone who advocates
    >> the use of linux *must* be a bearded hippy with communist tendancies and
    >> therefore must be totally against copyright et al.

    > You mean like these guys?
    >
    > http://www.abiword.org/~abi/expo99/expo_02_010_full.jpg
    >
    > Or these guys?
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/fcb/689...n/set-1485493/

    Without looking at either of those pictures, what percentage of the
    linux using population is there hmmm?

  5. Re: [News] 7% of the PCs in the UK Claimed to Have No Windows

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 11:13:48 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>> First off Gary Stewert is not my real name, Mark Kent and the other Linux
    >>> hypocrites know that full well.

    >> No, we don't. Flatfish has been identified as "Gary Stewart" and admitted it
    >> himself in the past. However, as flatfish once also admitted to sharing the
    >> nick with a group of trolly friends it is possible that gary was only one of
    >> the flatfish collaborists. So maybe you're not.
    >>
    >> One thing is for sure though. We do not know your name is not Gary.
    >>
    >>> As for Mark Kent, he has the title of COLA's biggest hypocrite.

    >> Only in your deluded little brain. (and those of your cronies)

    > Moshe is my name.
    > Exposing Linux frauds, fakes and phonies is my game
    >
    > Would you like to play?

    That'd be yourself, Doofus, Quack, TAB then? Seeing as you're the ones
    visiting a pro linux group and have no interest in linux at all?

  6. Re: [News] 7% of the PCs in the UK Claimed to Have No Windows

    Phil Da Lick! espoused:
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> No, we don't. Flatfish has been identified as "Gary Stewart" and admitted it
    >>> himself in the past. However, as flatfish once also admitted to sharing the
    >>> nick with a group of trolly friends it is possible that gary was only one of
    >>> the flatfish collaborists. So maybe you're not.
    >>>
    >>> One thing is for sure though. We do not know your name is not Gary.

    >>> Only in your deluded little brain. (and those of your cronies)

    >> Moshe is my name.
    >> Exposing Linux frauds, fakes and phonies is my game
    >>
    >> Would you like to play?
    >>

    > That'd be yourself, Doofus, Quack, TAB then? Seeing as you're the ones
    > visiting a pro linux group and have no interest in linux at all?

    One day, he'll expose something, but so far, he's singularly failed to
    expose anything. Detecting published facts is, well, hardly much of an
    achievement, is it? Unless you're Gary, I suppose.

  7. Re: [News] 7% of the PCs in the UK Claimed to Have No Windows

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 11:49:42 +0000, Tony(UK) wrote:

    > Thanks for that Andrew - would you happen to know how do I set the text
    > width to 75 please in Pan?

    http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.apps.pan.user

    You can, of course, use pan to read gmane

    If you're unfamiliar, gmane is a collection of e-mail lists with an NNTP
    (same protocol as usenet) gateway. Excellent resource.

    I didn't see an option to change the width...it should happen normally.
    From time to time, if you have long lines, pan will generally give you a
    warning before letting the post go through.

    -Thufir

  8. Re: [News] 7% of the PCs in the UK Claimed to Have No Windows

    Verily I say unto thee, that Phil Da Lick! spake thusly:

    > Without looking at either of those pictures, what percentage of the
    > linux using population is there hmmm?

    It's Stallman and Cox, two of the very few bearded GNU/Linux people I
    know, but in Flatty's juvenile little mind, physically representative
    of every Linux user. Not that having a beard, in and of itself, means
    anything in particular. Lincoln had a beard; was he a "Goddamn Commie
    hippie terrorist"? Some of the greatest men in history had beards, in
    fact in many cultures it is/was considered a sign of intelligence and
    dignity - something that Flatty completely lacks.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | By bucking Microsoft for open source, says Gunderloy, "I'm no
    | longer contributing to the eventual death of programming."
    | ~ http://www.linux.com/feature/142083
    `----

    19:31:17 up 229 days, 16:06, 4 users, load average: 1.03, 1.19, 1.26

  9. Re: [News] 7% of the PCs in the UK Claimed to Have No Windows

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 19:31:33 +0100, Homer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Phil Da Lick! spake thusly:
    >
    >> Without looking at either of those pictures, what percentage of the
    >> linux using population is there hmmm?

    > It's Stallman and Cox, two of the very few bearded GNU/Linux people I
    > know, but in Flatty's juvenile little mind, physically representative
    > of every Linux user. Not that having a beard, in and of itself, means
    > anything in particular. Lincoln had a beard; was he a "Goddamn Commie
    > hippie terrorist"? Some of the greatest men in history had beards, in
    > fact in many cultures it is/was considered a sign of intelligence and
    > dignity - something that Flatty completely lacks.

    I have nothing against beards.
    My father used to have a beard.

    It's the , ahem, unclean look that bothers me and just about every other
    person who may come in contact with these people.

    There is a difference between having a well trimmed beard and having
    something that looks as if it is supporting the local ecosystem.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: [News] 7% of the PCs in the UK Claimed to Have No Windows

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > ____/ Homer on Wednesday 06 August 2008 18:31 : \____
    >
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that Phil Da Lick! spake thusly:
    >>
    >>> Without looking at either of those pictures, what percentage of the
    >>> linux using population is there hmmm?

    >> It's Stallman and Cox, two of the very few bearded GNU/Linux people I
    >> know, but in Flatty's juvenile little mind, physically representative
    >> of every Linux user. Not that having a beard, in and of itself, means
    >> anything in particular. Lincoln had a beard; was he a "Goddamn Commie
    >> hippie terrorist"? Some of the greatest men in history had beards, in
    >> fact in many cultures it is/was considered a sign of intelligence and
    >> dignity - something that Flatty completely lacks.

    > Darwin had a beard and he was smart. The likes of Gary Stewart can't have a
    > family, so those bad genes die out. That's Darwinism at its finest.

    Beards are most common amongst intelligent, senior people, at least
    according to a radio 4 report a few days ago. The proportion of
    professors with beards, for example, is quite high. Gary isn't really
    in that category, and quite possibly can't grow one, which is perhaps
    why he's so abusive to those who clearly can and do.

  11. Re: [News] 7% of the PCs in the UK Claimed to Have No Windows

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 20:29:30 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Darwin had a beard and he was smart. The likes of Gary Stewart can't have a
    > family, so those bad genes die out. That's Darwinism at its finest.

    I dunno Roy Schestowitz, from what I read in Google, it is YOU who can no
    longer have a family.

    Assuming of course you didn't freeze your own sperm before going under the
    blade.

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....9ba78e7aa18bb7

    http://tinyurl.com/5hbqrg

    I will say that I admire your total dedication to the Linux cause though.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: [News] 7% of the PCs in the UK Claimed to Have No Windows

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 20:29:30 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> Darwin had a beard and he was smart. The likes of Gary Stewart can't have a
    >> family, so those bad genes die out. That's Darwinism at its finest.

    > I dunno Roy Schestowitz, from what I read in Google, it is YOU who can no
    > longer have a family.
    >
    > Assuming of course you didn't freeze your own sperm before going under the
    > blade.

    Oh give it up Moshe.
    No-one believed that bull**** when it was first posted and constantly
    repeating it isn't going to make it any more true.

    ****wit.
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | |

  13. Re: [News] 7% of the PCs in the UK Claimed to Have No Windows

  14. Re: [News] 7% of the PCs in the UK Claimed to Have No Windows

    On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 21:16:29 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 20:29:30 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> Darwin had a beard and he was smart. The likes of Gary Stewart can't have a
    >>> family, so those bad genes die out. That's Darwinism at its finest.

    >> I dunno Roy Schestowitz, from what I read in Google, it is YOU who can no
    >> longer have a family.
    >>
    >> Assuming of course you didn't freeze your own sperm before going under the
    >> blade.

    > Oh give it up Moshe.
    > No-one believed that bull**** when it was first posted and constantly
    > repeating it isn't going to make it any more true.

    How do we know for a fact it's not true?

    I'll admit it's a wee bit over the top, even for Schestowitz but people go
    on hunger strikes, self mutilate and do all kinds of weird things for
    causes they believe in.

    Some people are just a little strange and when in a drunken stupor post
    things to usenet that they regret later.
    Roy Schestowitz already admitted to being drunk when he posted his little
    encounter with the local police in that club brawl he was involved in.

    How do we know this isn't a similar situation?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: [News] 7% of the PCs in the UK Claimed to Have No Windows

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 21:35:53 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 06 August 2008 19:47 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>>
    >>> ____/ Homer on Wednesday 06 August 2008 18:31 : \____

    >>> Darwin had a beard and he was smart. The likes of Gary Stewart can't have a
    >>> family, so those bad genes die out. That's Darwinism at its finest.
    >>>

    >> Beards are most common amongst intelligent, senior people, at least
    >> according to a radio 4 report a few days ago. The proportion of
    >> professors with beards, for example, is quite high. Gary isn't really
    >> in that category, and quite possibly can't grow one, which is perhaps
    >> why he's so abusive to those who clearly can and do.

    > He speaks quite a lot for a maggot, too.

    You seem to be an expert in maggots, Roy Schestowitz.
    Perhaps at some point you attended a class in entomology during your 10
    year, and counting, stint at University of Manchester GB ?

    Roy Schestowitz, the "Van Wilder" of University of Manchester GB.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  16. Re: [News] 7% of the PCs in the UK Claimed to Have No Windows

    Verily I say unto thee, that Tony(UK) spake thusly:

    > would you happen to know how do I set the text width to 75 please in
    > Pan? I do get a warning that the width is over 80, but I have wrap
    > on, but do not know how to adjust this.

    Pan's text wrap width is 75 chars, and AFAIK is not customisable, other
    than turning it on and off. In the editor window there is a "Wrap Text"
    button, just push it and you'll see the article body wrapped correctly.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | By bucking Microsoft for open source, says Gunderloy, "I'm no
    | longer contributing to the eventual death of programming."
    | ~ http://www.linux.com/feature/142083
    `----

    22:23:06 up 229 days, 18:58, 4 users, load average: 1.19, 1.39, 1.23

  17. Re: [News] 7% of the PCs in the UK Claimed to Have No Windows

  18. Re: [News] 7% of the PCs in the UK Claimed to Have No Windows

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 22:23:32 +0100, Homer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Tony(UK) spake thusly:
    >
    >> would you happen to know how do I set the text width to 75 please in
    >> Pan? I do get a warning that the width is over 80, but I have wrap
    >> on, but do not know how to adjust this.

    > Pan's text wrap width is 75 chars, and AFAIK is not customisable, other
    > than turning it on and off. In the editor window there is a "Wrap Text"
    > button, just push it and you'll see the article body wrapped correctly.

    Oops...sorry, I though he was using 40tude...
    My mistake...