puTTY on Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on puTTY on Linux - Linux ; Just found out that this well-known Windows SSH client has been ported. The things you find out by accident! It seems to work identically to the original. Useful if you don't want to have to deal with charsets, I'd guess. ...

  1. puTTY on Linux

    --
    Freedom from incrustation of grime is contiguous to rectitude.

  2. Re: puTTY on Linux

    On Aug 1, 9:30 am, Linonut wrote:
    > Just found out that this well-known Windows SSH client has been ported.

    This is an interesting example of 360.

    Putty was basically a Windows application that combined ssh with
    terminal emulation to provide a single executable that would establish
    the connection, validate keys, and then configure the terminal
    emulation.

    The Linux "port" doesn't need to be monolithic, and the framework was
    already in place. All PuTTY had to do was provide the easy interface.

    There are many Linux applications and application combinations that
    have made it over to Windows, and then found their way back to Linux
    as commercial software.

    > The things you find out by accident!

    > It seems to work identically to the original. Useful if you don't want
    > to have to deal with charsets, I'd guess.

    It's also nice to have the shortcut icons that can start up the
    connections. You can do something similar with
    xterm -T -e ssh user@hostname
    If you have set up the keys, you don't even have to "log in".

  3. Re: puTTY on Linux

    On Aug 1, 9:30*am, Linonut wrote:
    > Just found out that this well-known Windows SSH client has been ported.
    >
    > The things you find out by accident!
    >
    > It seems to work identically to the original. *Useful if you don't want
    > to have to deal with charsets, I'd guess.
    >
    > --
    > Freedom from incrustation of grime is contiguous to rectitude.

    Works great. It is used a lot with Ruby on Rails Gems.

  4. Re: puTTY on Linux

    Linonut wrote:
    > Just found out that this well-known Windows SSH client has been ported.
    >
    > The things you find out by accident!
    >
    > It seems to work identically to the original. Useful if you don't want
    > to have to deal with charsets, I'd guess.

    Seems like a waste of disk space to install the blob on linux. The whole
    thing can be reduced to a GUI script.

  5. Re: puTTY on Linux

    * Philip peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >> Just found out that this well-known Windows SSH client has been ported.
    >>
    >> The things you find out by accident!
    >>
    >> It seems to work identically to the original. Useful if you don't want
    >> to have to deal with charsets, I'd guess.

    > Seems like a waste of disk space to install the blob on linux. The whole
    > thing can be reduced to a GUI script.

    Some might take comfort in finding an old Windows friend ;->

    --
    Life can be so tragic -- you're here today and here tomorrow.

+ Reply to Thread