How to access MS SQL Server from Linux ? - Linux

This is a discussion on How to access MS SQL Server from Linux ? - Linux ; Hi I am new to database programming on Linux. Can anybody tell me how can I access MS SQL server database from Linux. Thanks...

  1. How to access MS SQL Server from Linux ?

    Hi

    I am new to database programming on Linux. Can anybody tell me how can
    I access MS SQL server database from Linux.

    Thanks

  2. Re: How to access MS SQL Server from Linux ?

    Nileshshastri32@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I am new to database programming on Linux. Can anybody tell me how can
    > I access MS SQL server database from Linux.
    >
    > Thanks

    you have to establish a TCP/IP connection to port 3306.

    --
    SF

    Games are very educational. Scrabble teaches us vocabulary, Monopoly teaches
    us cash-flow management, and Dungeons & Dragons teaches us to loot dead bodies.

  3. Re: How to access MS SQL Server from Linux ?

    On 2008-08-01, Nileshshastri32@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am new to database programming on Linux. Can anybody tell me how can
    > I access MS SQL server database from Linux.

    were you considering using any particular programming language?

    python and php5 have native mssql libraries,

    if you're plainning to use C or C++ I suggest you look at freetds and sqlrelay.

    Bye.
    Jasen

  4. Re: How to access MS SQL Server from Linux ?

    On Aug 1, 4:11 pm, Jasen Betts wrote:
    > On 2008-08-01, Nileshshastr...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > Hi

    > > I am new to database programming on Linux. Can anybody tell me how can
    > > I access MS SQL server database from Linux.

    > were you considering using any particular programming language?
    >
    > python and php5 have native mssql libraries,
    >
    > if you're plainning to use C or C++ I suggest you look at freetds and sqlrelay.
    >
    > Bye.
    > Jasen

    Hi Jasen

    Thanks for the help Jasen. I am using TDS and it is asking for
    "Adaptive Service" on SQL Server.

    Is it possible to use an ODBC MS SQL Server driver ?

    Regards,
    Nilesh Shastri

  5. Re: How to access MS SQL Server from Linux ?

    On 2008-08-01, Nileshshastri32@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi Jasen
    >
    > Thanks for the help Jasen. I am using TDS and it is asking for
    > "Adaptive Service" on SQL Server.
    >
    > Is it possible to use an ODBC MS SQL Server driver ?

    From a quick search of debian's packages in aptitude (whence I also
    found those mentioned previously) There's something called iodbc and
    somethoing else called unixodbc.

    I've not used either, mostly I use postgresql when I want a database,
    and libpq when I want to talk to it.

    when I want to see how to use a library and can't fathom the
    documentation I go to aptitude again and pick one of the applications
    that uses it and look at the source. in this way I was able to get
    libc-client to send emails and also use it's SSL features to do
    primitive HTTPS in a cross-platform manner. the c-client docs are some
    of the worst I've encountered (they mainly focus on receiving email),
    the pine source is needed for all the details.

    Bye.
    Jasen

  6. Re: How to access MS SQL Server from Linux ?

    On Aug 1, 5:21 pm, Jasen Betts wrote:
    > On 2008-08-01, Nileshshastr...@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    > > Hi Jasen

    > > Thanks for the help Jasen. I am using TDS and it is asking for
    > > "Adaptive Service" on SQL Server.

    > > Is it possible to use an ODBC MS SQL Server driver ?

    > From a quick search of debian's packages in aptitude (whence I also
    > found those mentioned previously) There's something called iodbc and
    > somethoing else called unixodbc.
    >
    > I've not used either, mostly I use postgresql when I want a database,
    > and libpq when I want to talk to it.
    >
    > when I want to see how to use a library and can't fathom the
    > documentation I go to aptitude again and pick one of the applications
    > that uses it and look at the source. in this way I was able to get
    > libc-client to send emails and also use it's SSL features to do
    > primitive HTTPS in a cross-platform manner. the c-client docs are some
    > of the worst I've encountered (they mainly focus on receiving email),
    > the pine source is needed for all the details.
    >
    > Bye.
    > Jasen

    Hi

    I am trying to connect to MS SQL Server 2005. I am using TDS protocol
    version 7.0 and the connection fails with the following message--

    Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_HENV failed.

    For connecting I am using iODBC driver manager with TDS driver from
    freetds.org.

    On searching on google, I found that this problem can be solved by
    defining an environment variable DB2INSTANCE (for DB2 databases). I
    have tried a lot with variables like SQLSERVERINSTANCE,
    SYBASEINSTANCE, SYBDBINSTANCE but none of them works.

    What could be the probable cause & solution ?

    Thanks in advance
    Nilesh

+ Reply to Thread