Mark Kent : messiah or more profit? - Linux

This is a discussion on Mark Kent : messiah or more profit? - Linux ; A video discussing what can be done on a PS3 with Linux installed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUviU...eature=related Enjoy. ps Its not Linux's fault per se. But only those with zero idea about hW think the PS3 can be a PC replacement. -- "By ...

  1. Mark Kent : messiah or more profit?

    --
    "By your and your buddies references, marketshare.hitslink.com, it has
    moved from .43 to .68 over the last year. Increasing by 58% over the last

  2. Re: Mark Kent : messiah or more profit?

    On Aug 1, 8:02 am, Hadron wrote:
    > A video discussing what can be done on a PS3 with Linux installed.
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUviU...eature=related
    >
    > Enjoy.
    >
    > ps Its not Linux's fault per se. But only those with zero idea about hW
    > think the PS3 can be a PC replacement.

    The PS3 has some pretty sophisticated hardware, and it does have the
    interfaces needed for common peripherals. The real issue is what you
    want to do with your PC. If you want to play game, let PS/3 be a PS/
    3. If you want to browse the web, read e-mail, and IM, then a PS/3
    connected to a 1080P (1920x1080) display could be a really nice
    alternative to a PC.

    The nice thing about Linux is that you can also get all of the other
    Linux OSS applications, as well as platform Independent Java
    applications. You might still have to have support for external USB
    drive or Firewire drive, and support for high speed internet
    connectivity, but again, these aren't huge problems for the PS/3.

    Remember that the PS/2 also supported Linux, and many people in Asia
    used PS/2 with Linux as a Web Browser and E-mail platform, as well as
    basic text applications. It opened the doors for several million new
    Web users who might not otherwise have had access to the Internet.

    > "By your and your buddies references, marketshare.hitslink.com, it has
    > moved from .43 to .68 over the last year. Increasing by 58% over the last
    > year doesn't seem to me like it hasn't changed much in 16 years."

    Keep in mind that for Linux to be counted in the survey you are
    quoting, it takes a bit of special configuration. The user has to
    install CrossOver, then they have to enable ActiveX.

    Another survey which only counts IP addresses, but doesn't have the
    prerequisites is:

    Which shows Linux+other at about 8-9% (90 million users). But even
    this measurement is flawed since most Linux users share NAT IP
    addresses, and often the NAT is miscounted as Windows. Meanwhile, the
    public DHCP addresses are reassigned as much as the pool permits.

    Perhaps when we start to see IPv6, we will start to see real IP
    addresses.

    > -- Rick in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  3. Re: Mark Kent : messiah or more profit?

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 14:02:34 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > A video discussing what can be done on a PS3 with Linux installed.
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUviU...eature=related
    >
    > Enjoy.
    >
    > ps Its not Linux's fault per se. But only those with zero idea about hW
    > think the PS3 can be a PC replacement.

    THAT IS PRECIOUS!!!!!

    Obviously this guy has read COLA, notice the comment about "if they say it
    works great, they are LYING"

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: Mark Kent : messiah or more profit?

    In article ,
    Hadron wrote:

    > ps Its not Linux's fault per se. But only those with zero idea about hW
    > think the PS3 can be a PC replacement.

    Correct. If you've got some pretty specialized needs (certain kinds of
    scientific calculation, certain kinds of financial analysis), the PS3
    can be a sweet thing to install Linux on and turn into a number cruncher.

    As a general purpose computer for the kind of things you do on a typical
    Linux box, it's slow and limited. Note how few of the people
    championing it as a desktop replacement actually have tried it (or even
    have a PS3 at all...).

    --
    --Tim Smith

  5. Re: Mark Kent : messiah or more profit?

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 12:09:51 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >> ps Its not Linux's fault per se. But only those with zero idea about hW
    >> think the PS3 can be a PC replacement.

    > Correct. If you've got some pretty specialized needs (certain kinds of
    > scientific calculation, certain kinds of financial analysis), the PS3
    > can be a sweet thing to install Linux on and turn into a number cruncher.
    >
    > As a general purpose computer for the kind of things you do on a typical
    > Linux box, it's slow and limited. Note how few of the people
    > championing it as a desktop replacement actually have tried it (or even
    > have a PS3 at all...).

    That's the crux of the Linux movement in general.
    People love to fawn over this and that and Linux's latest piece of whatever
    but how many of these people have actually used whatever it is they are
    blathering about?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: Mark Kent : messiah or more profit?

    On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 15:33:36 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > That's the crux of the Linux movement in general. People love to fawn
    > over this and that and Linux's latest piece of whatever but how many of
    > these people have actually used whatever it is they are blathering
    > about?

    The inverse is: how many are unaware they're using Linux? Windriver
    comes to mind.

    -Thufir

  7. Re: Mark Kent : messiah or more profit?

    thufir wrote:

    > The inverse is: how many are unaware they're using Linux? Windriver
    > comes to mind.
    >

    > -Thufir

    Show just one _commonly available consumer product_ using Wind River Linux.

  8. Re: Mark Kent : messiah or more profit?

    Rex Ballard writes:

    > On Aug 1, 8:02 am, Hadron wrote:
    >> A video discussing what can be done on a PS3 with Linux installed.
    >>
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUviU...eature=related
    >>
    >> Enjoy.
    >>
    >> ps Its not Linux's fault per se. But only those with zero idea about hW
    >> think the PS3 can be a PC replacement.

    > The PS3 has some pretty sophisticated hardware, and it does have the
    > interfaces needed for common peripherals. The real issue is what you
    > want to do with your PC. If you want to play game, let PS/3 be a PS/
    > 3. If you want to browse the web, read e-mail, and IM, then a PS/3
    > connected to a 1080P (1920x1080) display could be a really nice
    > alternative to a PC.
    >
    > The nice thing about Linux is that you can also get all of the other
    > Linux OSS applications, as well as platform Independent Java
    > applications. You might still have to have support for external USB
    > drive or Firewire drive, and support for high speed internet
    > connectivity, but again, these aren't huge problems for the PS/3.

    Did you understand anything in the video? As a PC it is useless.

  9. Re: Mark Kent : messiah or more profit?

    On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 18:22:25 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Rex Ballard writes:
    >
    >> On Aug 1, 8:02 am, Hadron wrote:
    >>> A video discussing what can be done on a PS3 with Linux installed.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUviU...eature=related
    >>>
    >>> Enjoy.
    >>>
    >>> ps Its not Linux's fault per se. But only those with zero idea about hW
    >>> think the PS3 can be a PC replacement.

    >> The PS3 has some pretty sophisticated hardware, and it does have the
    >> interfaces needed for common peripherals. The real issue is what you
    >> want to do with your PC. If you want to play game, let PS/3 be a PS/
    >> 3. If you want to browse the web, read e-mail, and IM, then a PS/3
    >> connected to a 1080P (1920x1080) display could be a really nice
    >> alternative to a PC.
    >>
    >> The nice thing about Linux is that you can also get all of the other
    >> Linux OSS applications, as well as platform Independent Java
    >> applications. You might still have to have support for external USB
    >> drive or Firewire drive, and support for high speed internet
    >> connectivity, but again, these aren't huge problems for the PS/3.

    > Did you understand anything in the video? As a PC it is useless.

    I think Ballard must be hitting the *sauce* again.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: Mark Kent : messiah or more profit?

    On Aug 1, 8:02 am, Hadron wrote:
    > A video discussing what can be done on a PS3 with Linux installed.
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUviU...eature=related
    >
    > Enjoy.
    >
    > ps Its not Linux's fault per se. But only those with zero idea about hW
    > think the PS3 can be a PC replacement.

    The guy is an idiot. If all you want to do is play video games, why
    install Linux? Use PS/3 as the game machine. On the other hand, if
    you want to edit documents, email them, and browse the internet, Linux
    would be just like any other game.

    If it actually took him as long as he says it did to get connected to
    the internet, then he probably is clueless. I can get a Linux system
    up and running, even on a WiFi connection, it about 10-15 minutes, and
    in 30 minutes, I can have the USB Cellular modem working too.

    Clearly the guy had an agenda, and he wasn't even subtle about pushing
    his agenda.

    And by the way, 1080p resolution on a 15 inch monitor - of course the
    type would be too small for most people to read - that's 1920x1080
    pixel resolution. And yes, interlaced 1080i would be ugly as well, if
    your interlace speed is less than 70hz and your persistence on your
    LCD or phosphor was set for high speed video.

    Perhaps if he used 1080p on a 22 inch monitor or bigger, he might be
    happier with the resolution.

    IT was clearly the reviewer who was an idiot.

    And of course WINE didn't work, WINE is for Intel processors and the
    PS3 is an 8-core Power PC chip. There are Intel Emulators such as
    BOXX that would let you run Windows on the PPC, but not legally. If
    you want Windows, don't put it on a PowerPC.

    Seriously, the video showed a guy who had an agenda and tried to
    compare Linux to a PS/3.

    Just an idiot.

  11. Re: Mark Kent : messiah or more profit?

    Rex Ballard writes:

    > On Aug 1, 8:02 am, Hadron wrote:
    >> A video discussing what can be done on a PS3 with Linux installed.
    >>
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUviU...eature=related
    >>
    >> Enjoy.
    >>
    >> ps Its not Linux's fault per se. But only those with zero idea about hW
    >> think the PS3 can be a PC replacement.

    > The guy is an idiot. If all you want to do is play video games, why
    > install Linux? Use PS/3 as the game machine. On the other hand, if
    > you want to edit documents, email them, and browse the internet, Linux
    > would be just like any other game.

    Any other game? I think you miss the point. Unlike a Windows PC, you are
    unable to run a decent game when its in Linux mode.

    > If it actually took him as long as he says it did to get connected to
    > the internet, then he probably is clueless. I can get a Linux system
    > up and running, even on a WiFi connection, it about 10-15 minutes, and
    > in 30 minutes, I can have the USB Cellular modem working too.

    That's great. But , err, how long on a PS3?

    > Clearly the guy had an agenda, and he wasn't even subtle about pushing
    > his agenda.

    Actually I think he did not have one.

    Which bit do you disagree with?

    The lack of HW opengl?
    The lack of WINE?

    Or do you agree they do not, in fact, work with the PS3 in Linux
    mode. This is nothing new. I pointed it out over a year ago.

    > And by the way, 1080p resolution on a 15 inch monitor - of course the
    > type would be too small for most people to read - that's 1920x1080
    > pixel resolution. And yes, interlaced 1080i would be ugly as well, if
    > your interlace speed is less than 70hz and your persistence on your
    > LCD or phosphor was set for high speed video.
    >
    > Perhaps if he used 1080p on a 22 inch monitor or bigger, he might be
    > happier with the resolution.
    >
    > IT was clearly the reviewer who was an idiot.
    >
    > And of course WINE didn't work, WINE is for Intel processors and the
    > PS3 is an 8-core Power PC chip. There are Intel Emulators such as
    > BOXX that would let you run Windows on the PPC, but not legally. If
    > you want Windows, don't put it on a PowerPC.

    So? The fact remains : you can not run WINE. Most people dont care HOW
    Wine works. They care that they can not.

    > Seriously, the video showed a guy who had an agenda and tried to
    > compare Linux to a PS/3.
    >
    > Just an idiot.

    Who could play no games, had trouble setting it up and wondered just why
    you would bother.

    Do a straw poll here and find out how many "advocates" use a PS3 as a
    Linux workstation. My guess is ZERO.

    --
    "Let the body stay buried wherever he put it, maybe it'll get
    found some day, maybe not. "

  12. Re: Mark Kent : messiah or more profit?

    Rex Ballard wrote:
    > On Aug 1, 8:02 am, Hadron wrote:
    >> A video discussing what can be done on a PS3 with Linux installed.
    >>
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUviU...eature=related
    >>
    >> Enjoy.
    >>
    >> ps Its not Linux's fault per se. But only those with zero idea about
    >> hW think the PS3 can be a PC replacement.

    > The guy is an idiot.

    > Just an idiot.

    Rex is in a bad mood this am? Linux let you down again I see...

  13. Re: Mark Kent : messiah or more profit?

    On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 10:30:34 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Rex Ballard wrote:
    >> On Aug 1, 8:02 am, Hadron wrote:
    >>> A video discussing what can be done on a PS3 with Linux installed.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUviU...eature=related
    >>>
    >>> Enjoy.
    >>>
    >>> ps Its not Linux's fault per se. But only those with zero idea about
    >>> hW think the PS3 can be a PC replacement.

    >> The guy is an idiot.

    >> Just an idiot.

    > Rex is in a bad mood this am? Linux let you down again I see...

    He probably just got his mid year review from IBM.
    My spies tell me that management is cracking the whip again and holding the
    carrots out in front of the horse.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: Mark Kent : messiah or more profit?

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 04:46:55 -0700, Rex Ballard wrote:

    > The guy is an idiot. If all you want to do is play video games, why
    > install Linux? Use PS/3 as the game machine. On the other hand, if
    > you want to edit documents, email them, and browse the internet, Linux
    > would be just like any other game.

    Linux would make a great OS for a game console

    -Thufir

  15. Re: Mark Kent : messiah or more profit?

    "thufir" stated in post
    UYIlk.160411$gc5.45455@pd7urf2no on 8/4/08 12:42 PM:

    > On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 04:46:55 -0700, Rex Ballard wrote:
    >

    >> The guy is an idiot. If all you want to do is play video games, why
    >> install Linux? Use PS/3 as the game machine. On the other hand, if
    >> you want to edit documents, email them, and browse the internet, Linux
    >> would be just like any other game.

    > Linux would make a great OS for a game console

    Agreed - many of the weaknesses that exist in the OSS/Linux ecosystem that
    hurt it on the desktop would apply *much* less to a game console.

    --
    Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.
    --Albert Einstein

+ Reply to Thread