[News] New GNU/Linux Users, Including ZDNet Journalist - Linux

  1. [News] New GNU/Linux Users, Including ZDNet Journalist

    Picking a Penguin

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I’m glad that I found PCLOS, because it’s definitely been worth using to me.
    | Both machines I have it on are set to dual boot either it or Windows, but I
    | find myself booting to Windows less and less as PCLOS is just so much more
    | efficient. I know I’ll find gripes as I keep messing with it, but for now
    | I’m completely happy with it.
    `----

    http://blogs.cdswebs.com/hammy/?p=318

    Linux User Here

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now, you can write about stuff that you don’t actually do yourself. After
    | all, how many sports writers could even stand in against, never mind hit, a
    | Jonathan Papelbon 96MPH fastball? But, I just assumed he was already running
    | Linux on a daily basis. After all, that’s what I do.
    `----

    http://practical-tech.com/operating-...nux-user-here/

    Resistance to change is the cause. Yes, Dana has planned to do this for years,
    but older people are less inclined to abandon things. The poor state of
    Windows (and Vista *shudders*) probably contributed to this.

    Maybe Microsoft will bribe him with a Windows laptop. He asks for a new one.

    Related:

    Bribing Bloggers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This is the most frustrating thing about the practice of giving
    | bloggers free stuff: it pisses in the well, reducing the credibility
    | of all blogs. I'm upset that people trust me less because of the
    | behavior of other bloggers. Don't even get me started about PayPerPost.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Do not, under any circumstances, consider upgrading an XP system to
    | Vista... even if it's fairly new and even if it's Vista Supremo
    | Premium Ultra-Capable.
    `----

    Microsoft's Laptop Giveaway Becoming PR Disaster?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This thing is starting to feel like a PR disaster. Bloggers are
    | starting to smell blood and this thing very well may begin to
    | turn into yet another episode of bloggers gone wild.
    `----

    http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/06...4_id.html?.v=1

    Bribing Bloggers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It's a bribe. Period. You say nice things about us, you get nice
    | things from us. Heck, just say neutral things about us-we'll give
    | you a killer new laptop and we know that you'll be inclined to say
    | better things about us.
    `----

    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759...129TX1K0000616

  2. Re: New GNU/Linux Users, Including ZDNet Journalist

    On Jul 31, 1:45 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    > Picking a Penguin
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Im glad that I found PCLOS, because its definitely been worth using to me.
    > | Both machines I have it on are set to dual boot either it or Windows, but I
    > | find myself booting to Windows less and less as PCLOS is just so much more
    > | efficient. I know Ill find gripes as I keep messing with it, but for now
    > | Im completely happy with it.
    > `----

    But that can't be. DFS says Linux has to crash in 3 minutes. Or is
    it 15 minutes? Using Windows less and less? According to DFS, they
    all go back to Windows and never even look at Linux again. The
    author must be accepting bribes, from, well, you know, Penguin
    Monopoly or whoever it is that is paying all the Linux advocates here.

  3. Re: New GNU/Linux Users, Including ZDNet Journalist

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu

    wrote
    on Thu, 31 Jul 2008 13:50:57 -0700 (PDT)
    <84c415b2-6d2f-4645-84c3-0dd3f00feb2d@r35g2000prm.googlegroups.com>:
    > On Jul 31, 1:45 pm, Roy Schestowitz
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> Picking a Penguin
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | I?m glad that I found PCLOS, because it?s definitely been
    >> | worth using to me. Both machines I have it on are set to
    >> | dual boot either it or Windows, but I find myself booting
    >> | to Windows less and less as PCLOS is just so much more efficient.
    >> | I know I?ll find gripes as I keep messing with it, but for now
    >> | I?m completely happy with it.
    >> `----

    > But that can't be. DFS says Linux has to crash in 3 minutes. Or is
    > it 15 minutes?

    Wow. I must have configured my laptop wrong. It usually stays
    up the entire day. I also have desktops that can stay up weeks,
    if not months.

    > Using Windows less and less? According to DFS, they
    > all go back to Windows and never even look at Linux again. The
    > author must be accepting bribes, from, well, you know, Penguin
    > Monopoly or whoever it is that is paying all the Linux advocates here.

    And here I thought it was the Bavarian Illuminati. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature/pedantry: Resource temporarily unavailable