Screen/Area Capture in Ubuntu 8.x = back to the past - Linux

This is a discussion on Screen/Area Capture in Ubuntu 8.x = back to the past - Linux ; "The Ghost In The Machine" stated in post 3ht4m5-1vn.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net on 7/29/08 6:42 PM: .... >>>>> Really, when you consider where it all started, it's the Mac way, not >>>>> the Windows way. =P >>>> >>>> Well, Windows did it the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 62

  1. Re: Linux Screenshots

    "The Ghost In The Machine" stated in post
    3ht4m5-1vn.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net on 7/29/08 6:42 PM:

    >>> Depends on how one defines "well"; Microsoft has been far
    >>> more profitable than Apple thus far, though I for one
    >>> think Apple products are by and large better engineered,
    >>> and AAPL in the market lately has been doing very well
    >>> against MSFT and the S&P500, percentage-wise.
    >>>
    >>> Not that either profits or market share tells one much
    >>> regarding keyboard shortcuts or technical superiority.

    >> I am talking in terms of usability.

    > Windows: botched.
    > Mac: nice GUI, usable.
    > Linux: satisfactory (to me) GUI, usable, but the GUI needs work.

    In terms of the standard hot keys (S, P, C, V, X, O, Z) the Mac is more
    consistent and has more... Q, W, etc. Does seem Mac programs are moving
    away from Y. Why? Why Y? Why move away from Y when Y is such a great
    thing?

    Sigh. Why Y? Did they think they were being sly? Was Y too shy? Used by
    some other guy? Would you use a Y on a train? In a plane?

    Sorry... too much Doctor Seuss recently.

    >>> Windows is the de facto standard; that's why we get
    >>> silliness in Linux Land such as Ctrl/C or Ctrl/X -> CtrlV.
    >>> (Apple uses Option instead of Ctrl,

    >> Actually Apple uses the Apple key... or the Command key as it
    >> is now called (and has been for many years... sigh).

    > I suspect part of that is because many keyboards have a
    > Windows key -- including the Dell USB keyboard I'm typing
    > on at the moment, and my nx9010 builtin. In fact, this
    > Dell keyboard has two, one on each side of the space bar
    > (actually, the alt keys), plus a third key just to the
    > right of the right one which presumably does a popup menu,
    > were Gnome to care -- which I and it doesn't right now.

    I think the move to "Command" was before the addition of the Windows keys...
    but I could be wrong.

    Most people, from what I have seen, do not even use the Windows key. I
    do... as do many in COLA I am sure... but the general user likely does not.

    > So with Apple, it's an Apple key -- despite the proper name
    > being the Command key.

    And Option/Alt used to be "Closed Apple".

    > I doubt there's a keyboard with a Linux key, though one
    > could probably retrofit an existing keyboard easily enough,
    > assuming somebody sells molded keycaps with a little
    > penguin on them, or a little decal (the Dell keyboard looks
    > like one could scrape off the logo with a bit of work).

    Frankly I like the idea of a Penguin Key. If Apple is not going to give me
    my apple then, damn it, I want a penguin! Is that too much to ask?

    --
    "In order to discover who you are, first learn who everybody else is. You're
    what's left." - Skip Hansen

  2. Re: Screen/Area Capture in Ubuntu 8.x = back to the past

    On 2008-07-29, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    > Yep, I had to capture a part of a screen.
    > So I googled. And i came across scrot.
    > What is scrot?
    >
    > http://onlyubuntu.blogspot.com/2008/...-cli-with.html

    ....once again actively avoiding TRYING IT THE OLD WAY.

    That being the way that works under Windows.

    [deletia]

    If this is your idea of auditing usability, you're going to
    give us all an overinflated sense of how WELL Linux is doing.

    --
    Nothing quite gives you an understanding of mysql's |||
    popularity as does an attempt to do some simple date / | \

  3. Re: Linux Screenshots

    On 2008-07-29, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    > On Jul 29, 3:08*pm, "Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote:
    >> On Jul 29, 2:47*pm, Rick wrote:
    >> > On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 11:36:37 -0700, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:

    [deletia]
    >> > Applications -> Accessories -> Take Screenshot ...

    >> > Whole desktop or active window.

    >> > -IF- you have KDE installed, there is ksnapshot.

    >> > --
    >> > Rick

    >> That works....

    > Who would have thought it was alphabetized under T for TAKE
    > SCREENSHOT.
    > That is like putting Open Office under L for LOAD OPEN OFFICE.

    ...yeah, because a menu that's less than half the screen high
    is just SO dependent on how the icons are alphabetized.

    --
    Nothing quite gives you an understanding of mysql's |||
    popularity as does an attempt to do some simple date / | \
    manipulations in postgres.

  4. Re: Screen/Area Capture in Ubuntu 8.x = back to the past

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > Not as good as LinPUS though... That one takes the cake..

    Linfux
    Lintux or LinT...

    like from toes or the stuff stuck in the bottom of your jeans pocket.

  5. Re: Linux Screenshots

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 12:18:38 -0700 (PDT), Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:

    >Who would have thought it was alphabetized under T for TAKE
    >SCREENSHOT.
    >That is like putting Open Office under L for LOAD OPEN OFFICE.

    >I was looking under S for SCREEN CAPTURE and W for Window Capture.
    >Linux. No thought into design.

    For KDE, just push the print screen button.
    It'll pop up a dialog giving options to capture window/screen, save,
    copy to clipboard, or print. No need to open paint like in windows to save
    to an image file.

  6. Re: Linux Screenshots

    AZ Nomad writes:

    > On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 12:18:38 -0700 (PDT), Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    >
    >>Who would have thought it was alphabetized under T for TAKE
    >>SCREENSHOT.
    >>That is like putting Open Office under L for LOAD OPEN OFFICE.

    >>I was looking under S for SCREEN CAPTURE and W for Window Capture.
    >>Linux. No thought into design.

    > For KDE, just push the print screen button.
    > It'll pop up a dialog giving options to capture window/screen, save,
    > copy to clipboard, or print. No need to open paint like in windows to save
    > to an image file.

    In Gnome prtscr takes entire desktop. Hit alt-prtscr to get just the
    focused window.

    --
    XP is a flop and when users are still asking for W98 it shows that they
    aren't all taken in with the MS hype.

  7. Re: Screen/Area Capture in Ubuntu 8.x = back to the past

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Psyc Geek (TAB)

    wrote
    on Tue, 29 Jul 2008 11:36:37 -0700 (PDT)
    :
    > Yep, I had to capture a part of a screen.
    > So I googled. And i came across scrot.
    > What is scrot?
    >
    > http://onlyubuntu.blogspot.com/2008/...-cli-with.html
    >
    > A command line screen capture tool.
    > It is all TERMINAL BASED. You got that
    > right. I must be in the 60's still. You have to
    > terminal and install and even run it.
    >
    > It has a lot of options. They can't make a screen
    > for this tool? Right, the programmers are 60's geeks.
    >
    > The screen capture includes the terminal window.
    >
    > Can't I just just the mouse and select the area?
    > Or do I need to keep google-ing to find another program.

    Um...what's wrong with pressing the PrintScreen key?
    Gnome will happily save one's current desktop (such that
    it can capture) to a file somewhere.

    Not as sure about KDE 3.5, but maybe I just need to install
    another KDE utility. (I don't use KDE, obviously.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #40490127:
    for(; ;

  8. Re: Screen/Area Capture in Ubuntu 8.x = back to the past

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:43:50 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Psyc Geek (TAB)
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 29 Jul 2008 11:36:37 -0700 (PDT)
    > :
    >> Yep, I had to capture a part of a screen. So I googled. And i came
    >> across scrot. What is scrot?
    >>
    >> http://onlyubuntu.blogspot.com/2008/...reenshots-via-

    cli-with.html

    >> A command line screen capture tool.
    >> It is all TERMINAL BASED. You got that right. I must be in the 60's
    >> still. You have to terminal and install and even run it.
    >>
    >> It has a lot of options. They can't make a screen for this tool?
    >> Right, the programmers are 60's geeks.
    >>
    >> The screen capture includes the terminal window.
    >>
    >> Can't I just just the mouse and select the area? Or do I need to keep
    >> google-ing to find another program.
    >>

    > Um...what's wrong with pressing the PrintScreen key? Gnome will happily
    > save one's current desktop (such that it can capture) to a file
    > somewhere.
    >
    > Not as sure about KDE 3.5, but maybe I just need to install another KDE
    > utility. (I don't use KDE, obviously.)

    Ksnapshot. You can use shortcuts to bind the print screen key in KDE, too.

    --
    Rick

  9. Re: Screen/Area Capture in Ubuntu 8.x = back to the past

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick

    wrote
    on Wed, 30 Jul 2008 13:27:51 -0500
    :
    > On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:43:50 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Psyc Geek (TAB)
    >> wrote
    >> on Tue, 29 Jul 2008 11:36:37 -0700 (PDT)
    >> :
    >>> Yep, I had to capture a part of a screen. So I googled. And i came
    >>> across scrot. What is scrot?
    >>>
    >>> http://onlyubuntu.blogspot.com/2008/...reenshots-via-

    > cli-with.html
    >>>
    >>> A command line screen capture tool.
    >>> It is all TERMINAL BASED. You got that right. I must be in the 60's
    >>> still. You have to terminal and install and even run it.
    >>>
    >>> It has a lot of options. They can't make a screen for this tool?
    >>> Right, the programmers are 60's geeks.
    >>>
    >>> The screen capture includes the terminal window.
    >>>
    >>> Can't I just just the mouse and select the area? Or do I need to keep
    >>> google-ing to find another program.
    >>>

    >> Um...what's wrong with pressing the PrintScreen key? Gnome will happily
    >> save one's current desktop (such that it can capture) to a file
    >> somewhere.
    >>
    >> Not as sure about KDE 3.5, but maybe I just need to install another KDE
    >> utility. (I don't use KDE, obviously.)

    > Ksnapshot. You can use shortcuts to bind the print screen key in KDE, too.

    Gosh, that name's way too obvious for Open Source. :-)
    I'll admit to wondering why my KDE window manager didn't
    automatically invoke it when I pressed PrintScreen, though,
    but like I said, I don't use KDE anyway. I suspect a
    configuration issue somewhere.

    For its part Gnome's program is called gnome-screenshot,
    though one is not required to know this, as somehow
    metacity or Gnome has associated that keypress with the
    utility.

    I have also now remembered the xwd/xwud utilities from
    way way way WAY back; these dump and display a rather
    obscure file format (XWD), but that file format can be
    converted using xwdtopnm and pnmtoxwd to other formats.
    On Gentoo one now has to install them separately
    (emerge x11-apps/xwd x11-apps/xwud), but they are available.

    xwd can also do individual windows.

    'scrot' is also available: emerge media-gfx/scrot . It
    has the interesting capability of looking at the extension
    of the specified file to determine image format. Regrettably,
    it does not have an override option, though one can always
    rename the resultant file afterwards. The -s option of
    scrot allows a user to specify a window by clicking, though
    the grab cursor isn't quite right.

    Because of X's network transparency, one can take screenshots
    from another computer (ssh -CXY remoteuser@remotemachine,
    then invoke ksnapshot or gnome-screenshot or scrot or xwd
    or whatever one will). Obviously there's quite a bit
    going on here, which might be too much to explain to
    some of our posters. :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. Because a BSOD is just so 20th century; why not
    try our new color changing variant?

  10. Re: Screen/Area Capture in Ubuntu 8.x = back to the past

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:43:50 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Psyc Geek (TAB)
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 29 Jul 2008 11:36:37 -0700 (PDT)
    > :
    >> Yep, I had to capture a part of a screen. So I googled. And i came
    >> across scrot. What is scrot?
    >>
    >> http://onlyubuntu.blogspot.com/2008/...reenshots-via-

    cli-with.html

    >> A command line screen capture tool.
    >> It is all TERMINAL BASED. You got that right. I must be in the 60's
    >> still. You have to terminal and install and even run it.
    >>
    >> It has a lot of options. They can't make a screen for this tool?
    >> Right, the programmers are 60's geeks.
    >>
    >> The screen capture includes the terminal window.
    >>
    >> Can't I just just the mouse and select the area? Or do I need to keep
    >> google-ing to find another program.
    >>

    > Um...what's wrong with pressing the PrintScreen key? Gnome will happily
    > save one's current desktop (such that it can capture) to a file
    > somewhere.
    >
    > Not as sure about KDE 3.5, but maybe I just need to install another KDE
    > utility. (I don't use KDE, obviously.)

    I don't remember

    --
    Rick

  11. Re: Linux Screenshots

    Snit wrote:
    >> I doubt there's a keyboard with a Linux key, though one
    >> could probably retrofit an existing keyboard easily enough,
    >> assuming somebody sells molded keycaps with a little
    >> penguin on them, or a little decal (the Dell keyboard looks
    >> like one could scrape off the logo with a bit of work).

    > Frankly I like the idea of a Penguin Key. If Apple is not going to give me
    > my apple then, damn it, I want a penguin! Is that too much to ask?

    Well, you used to be able to buy penguin keycaps to replace the windows
    keys. Dunno if whoever made them still do though.
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  12. Re: Linux Screenshots

    Andrew Halliwell writes:

    > Snit wrote:
    >>> I doubt there's a keyboard with a Linux key, though one
    >>> could probably retrofit an existing keyboard easily enough,
    >>> assuming somebody sells molded keycaps with a little
    >>> penguin on them, or a little decal (the Dell keyboard looks
    >>> like one could scrape off the logo with a bit of work).

    >> Frankly I like the idea of a Penguin Key. If Apple is not going to give me
    >> my apple then, damn it, I want a penguin! Is that too much to ask?

    > Well, you used to be able to buy penguin keycaps to replace the windows
    > keys. Dunno if whoever made them still do though.

    I think the Cherry one tanked because of lack of support and buggy
    drivers.

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1...9164303,00.htm

    There we a lot of fanfare from Geeky blogs but as usual hardly anyone
    actually purchased it.

  13. Re: Linux Screenshots

    So anyway, it was like, 03:42 CEST Jul 30 2008, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    The Ghost In The Machine was all like, "Dude,

    > I doubt there's a keyboard with a Linux key [..]

    I find your lack of faith.. disturbing.

    --
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. Perth ---> *
    14:57:08 up 34 days, 21:02, 2 users, load average: 0.05, 0.06, 0.01

  14. Re: Linux Screenshots

    Johan Lindquist writes:

    > So anyway, it was like, 03:42 CEST Jul 30 2008, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    > The Ghost In The Machine was all like, "Dude,
    >
    >> I doubt there's a keyboard with a Linux key [..]

    > I find your lack of faith.. disturbing.

    First link for buying in Germany:

    http://www.keybo.de/content/keybo.st...E/product/1156

    ,----
    | Bitte beachten Sie!
    |
    | Dieses Produkt ist nicht verfügbar.
    `----

    The product is not available.

    --
    "Do a screen-shot of a text. Now disable anti-aliasing. Do again screen-shot of same text. Compare both. They are exactly the same."
    Peter Koehlmann, COLA, explaining Anti Aliasing ....

  15. Re: Linux Screenshots

    So anyway, it was like, 15:18 CEST Jul 31 2008, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    Hadron was all like, "Dude,
    > Johan Lindquist writes:
    >> So anyway, it was like, 03:42 CEST Jul 30 2008, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    >> The Ghost In The Machine was all like, "Dude,

    >>> I doubt there's a keyboard with a Linux key [..]

    >> I find your lack of faith.. disturbing.
    >>

    > First link for buying in Germany:
    >
    > http://www.keybo.de/content/keybo.st...E/product/1156
    >
    > ,----
    >| Bitte beachten Sie!
    >|
    >| Dieses Produkt ist nicht verfügbar.
    > `----
    >
    > The product is not available.

    Shame, and I know you of all people really wanted one too! You might
    have some luck browsing the used items on ebay or something.

    --
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. Perth ---> *
    15:21:49 up 34 days, 21:27, 2 users, load average: 0.39, 0.10, 0.03

  16. Re: Linux Screenshots

    Johan Lindquist writes:

    > So anyway, it was like, 15:18 CEST Jul 31 2008, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    > Hadron was all like, "Dude,
    >> Johan Lindquist writes:
    >>> So anyway, it was like, 03:42 CEST Jul 30 2008, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    >>> The Ghost In The Machine was all like, "Dude,

    >>> I find your lack of faith.. disturbing.
    >>>

    >> First link for buying in Germany:
    >>
    >> http://www.keybo.de/content/keybo.st...E/product/1156
    >>
    >> ,----
    >>| Bitte beachten Sie!
    >>|
    >>| Dieses Produkt ist nicht verfügbar.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> The product is not available.

    > Shame, and I know you of all people really wanted one too! You might
    > have some luck browsing the used items on ebay or something.

    We'll take that as a tacit apology then ....

    Another example of "it was available I would buy it". I'll bet you none
    of the COLA "advocates" have one. Me? I threw away my MS HW ages ago and
    go with the blandest Cherry keyboard I can find. It still has a Windows
    key though....

  17. Re: Linux Screenshots

    On 2008-07-31, Hadron wrote:
    > Andrew Halliwell writes:

    >>> Frankly I like the idea of a Penguin Key. If Apple is not going to give me
    >>> my apple then, damn it, I want a penguin! Is that too much to ask?

    >> Well, you used to be able to buy penguin keycaps to replace the windows
    >> keys. Dunno if whoever made them still do though.

    > I think the Cherry one tanked because of lack of support and buggy
    > drivers.
    >
    > http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1...9164303,00.htm

    It's a KEYBOARD.

    What drivers?

    [deletia]

    --

    Truth is irrelevant as long as the predictions are good. |||
    / | \

  18. Re: Linux Screenshots

    On 2008-07-31, Hadron wrote:
    > Johan Lindquist writes:
    >
    >> So anyway, it was like, 15:18 CEST Jul 31 2008, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    >> Hadron was all like, "Dude,

    >>> First link for buying in Germany:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.keybo.de/content/keybo.st...E/product/1156
    >>>
    >>> ,----

    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> The product is not available.

    >> Shame, and I know you of all people really wanted one too! You might
    >> have some luck browsing the used items on ebay or something.

    > We'll take that as a tacit apology then ....
    >
    > Another example of "it was available I would buy it". I'll bet you none

    Of course "I would buy it" does not translate into "I would buy it under
    any condition" or "I will spend my days wasting my time seeking you
    out in order to find your poorly advertised product".

    There are plenty of reasons why something might not catch on.

    Mebbe the billboards in central Utah were a bad idea...

    --

    Truth is irrelevant as long as the predictions are good. |||
    / | \

  19. Re: Linux Screenshots

    So anyway, it was like, 15:54 CEST Jul 31 2008, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    Hadron was all like, "Dude,
    > Johan Lindquist writes:
    >
    >> So anyway, it was like, 15:18 CEST Jul 31 2008, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
    >> Hadron was all like, "Dude,

    >>> First link for buying in Germany:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.keybo.de/content/keybo.st...E/product/1156
    >>>
    >>> ,----

    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> The product is not available.

    >> Shame, and I know you of all people really wanted one too! You might
    >> have some luck browsing the used items on ebay or something.

    > We'll take that as a tacit apology then ....

    For what? Finding a product that fulfills the requirements but
    happen to be out of stock with the first random reseller you happen
    to stumble upon in your vain desire to poke a stick in my general
    direction?

    I find your lack of research.. totally expected.

    > I'll bet you none of the COLA "advocates" have one.

    I won't take that bet. I didn't even know it existed until I searched
    for one on a lark after reading the post by "Ghost" that I replied
    to, and it does seem to be hard to find one for sale. (Cue a bunch of
    trolls posting about Linux market share right here.)

    > Me?

    I /know/ you don't have one, though. And even if they were readily
    available in stores, you wouldn't go out and buy one right this minute
    either, despite your apparent interest in the subject.

    --
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. Perth ---> *
    16:14:17 up 34 days, 22:19, 2 users, load average: 0.21, 0.22, 0.09

  20. Re: Linux Screenshots

    JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >> I think the Cherry one tanked because of lack of support and buggy
    >> drivers.
    >>
    >> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1...9164303,00.htm

    > It's a KEYBOARD.
    >
    > What drivers?

    ROTFL!
    Did hadron REALLY say a KEYBOARD tanked cos of lack of drivers?!

    By eck, I've never heard anything so ****ing stupid.
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | |

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast