[News] Reasons to Choose GNU/Linux Rather Than Microsoft MEII - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Reasons to Choose GNU/Linux Rather Than Microsoft MEII - Linux ; Roy Schestowitz wrote: > Vista burns laptop hard disks - Failure eight times higher than under > XP > > ,----[ Quote ] >> The hard disk's temperature can get ten degrees higher than the >> vendors' specifications allow. This ...

  1. Re: [News] Reasons to Choose GNU/Linux Rather Than Microsoft MEII

    Author: "Josh, you're right, I exaggerated a little with the title."

  2. [News] Reasons to Choose GNU/Linux Rather Than Microsoft MEII

    5 simple reasons to choose Linux over Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Without getting into much details, we shall today try and see 5 major reasons
    | why people who prefer Linux over Windows Vista do so.
    |
    | 1. Hardware Requirements: It’s never too much for Vista!
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | 2. Rights & Limitations: Unlike Vista, Linux doesn’t restrict how content is
    | used on a system.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | 3. There is no Linux Genuine Advantage!
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | 4. Security Issues: You can never miss out on this.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | 5. You name it, you have it!
    |
    | [...]
    `----

    http://brajeshwar.com/2008/choose-li...windows-vista/

    No! Wha…oooh…wow. Yes!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux is, in-and-of-itself, its best sales tool, because It creates
    | curiosity. As I use Ubuntu Linux people are curious and they pull information
    | from me. When I show a customer something that I created for them, and I did
    | it on linux, they want to know more.
    `----

    http://www.ubuntuproductivity.com/jo...mall_business/

    Related:

    Vista weakness could feed Linux growth

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...47&pagtype=all

    `----

    http://4sysops.com/archives/vista-bu...than-under-xp/
    http://tinyurl.com/3ytdtj

    DVD Burning Problem in Windows Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The hardware install went fine. However I soon ran into problems
    | with the software install. The drive included OEM versions of Nero
    | and Power CD both programs are (or were) it seems incompatible with Vista.
    | This I'm finding is an increasingly common problem and very frustrating. I
    | don't know who is to blame for this, Microsoft or the developers, but
    | almost all the software I've tried to install had thrown up some
    | problems. iTunes is particulalry frustrating but thats another issue.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | I then realised that hidden away in the burn DVD dialog box is an
    | option to change the default formating of the disk.
    `----

    http://cwebster.net/2007/04/08/dvd-b...windows-vista/

    Windows Vista: Sold but not deployed

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    | Financial Times Deutschland on Monday. *

    | Lenovo.

    `----

    http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...SS&NewsID=9579

    Ugly view mars Windows Vista birthday

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to latest data from NPD, Microsoft is shipping fewer boxed copies
    | of Windows Vista than it did Windows XP at the same point in the operating
    | systems' lifecycles. *
    `----

    http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/1...ista_birthday/

    The Vista Death Watch

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft has extended the life of Windows XP because Vista has simply not
    | shown any life in the market. We have to begin to ask ourselves if we are
    | really looking at Windows Me/2007, destined to be a disdained flop. By all
    | estimates the number of Vista installations hovers around the number of Macs
    | in use. * *
    |
    | How did this happen? And what’s going to happen next? Does Microsoft have a
    | Plan B? A number of possibilities come to mind, and these things must be
    | considered by the company itself. *
    `----

    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704...079TX1K0000584

    Lenovo offers downgrade from Windows Vista to Windows XP

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | My colleague Stian just sent me this interesting link regarding my
    | experiences with Windows Vista. Since I assume the link will NOT have the
    | visual appearence it has right now for very many more hours (days) I've
    | created a screenshot of how it looked when I went into the site. *
    `----

    http://jaxed.org/lenovo-offers-downg...indows-xp.blog

    Windows Vista kicked out of Olympics PCs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft's latest version of Windows is too risky to implement for the
    | important computers managing the 2008 Olympic summer games in Beijing, said
    | the event's computer supplier and sponsor Lenovo. *
    `----

    http://www.electronista.com/articles...n.olympic.pcs/

    DSG continues retailer woes

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | DSG, the company formerly known as Dixons, became the latest British retailer
    | to report a drop in profits for the summer months today. But it wasn’t all
    | down to the rotten weather – this time it was also Microsoft’s fault. *
    `----

    http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/new...retailer-woes/

    Dell casts doubts on Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Dell today revealed that it will restore the option to use Windows XP on
    | some of its home systems, marking a potentially damaging blow to
    | Microsoft's hopes for the newer Windows Vista.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | While a popular request through the company's IdeaStorm website, the
    | choice was substantially outnumbered by requests for pre-installed
    | Linux, US-based technical support, and other features -- pointing to a
    | larger general demand for the change. The turnaround may be a reflection of
    | an overall backlash against Vista, observed IDC analyst Richard Shim.
    `----

    http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/...ubts.on.vista/

  3. Re: [News] Reasons to Choose GNU/Linux Rather Than Microsoft MEII

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:42:27 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Vista burns laptop hard disks - Failure eight times higher than under
    >> XP
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> The hard disk's temperature can get ten degrees higher than the
    >>> vendors' specifications allow. This could cause hard disk failures
    >>> eight times more frequent than with XP.

    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://4sysops.com/archives/vista-bu...than-under-xp/
    >> http://tinyurl.com/3ytdtj