Linux ... the fork of geeks - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux ... the fork of geeks - Linux ; Lets say you find a fork off Open Office, called, OxygenOffice Professional - Office Suite. They added some cool features. Now, they could have just help Open Office be better, but no. I don't think this is too community like. ...

  1. Linux ... the fork of geeks

    Lets say you find a fork off Open Office, called, OxygenOffice
    Professional - Office Suite.
    They added some cool features. Now, they could have just help Open
    Office be better, but no.
    I don't think this is too community like.

    Here are their install instructions:

    :Here If you experience OpenOffice.org startup problems (most notably
    while using Gnome) please 'unset' the :SESSION_MANAGER environment
    variable inside the shell you use to start OpenOffice.org. This can be
    done by adding :the line "unset SESSION_MANAGER" to the beginning of
    the soffice shell script found in the "[office folder]/
    program" :directory.

    Sure, users are just dying to do that. What is a shell script? Do we
    have to teach users about every little thing in Linux? Can't you have
    a gui someplace to do that? Let me check my calender. Yep, it is
    2008. The 70's are gone.

  2. Re: Linux ... the fork of geeks

    On 2008-07-29, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    > Lets say you find a fork off Open Office, called, OxygenOffice
    > Professional - Office Suite.
    > They added some cool features. Now, they could have just help Open

    ....like what?

    > Office be better, but no.
    > I don't think this is too community like.
    >
    > Here are their install instructions:
    >
    >:Here If you experience OpenOffice.org startup problems (most notably
    > while using Gnome) please 'unset' the :SESSION_MANAGER environment
    > variable inside the shell you use to start OpenOffice.org. This can be
    > done by adding :the line "unset SESSION_MANAGER" to the beginning of
    > the soffice shell script found in the "[office folder]/
    > program" :directory.
    >
    > Sure, users are just dying to do that. What is a shell script? Do we

    Well then that competitor will not do well then.

    Big deal.

    > have to teach users about every little thing in Linux? Can't you have
    > a gui someplace to do that? Let me check my calender. Yep, it is
    > 2008. The 70's are gone.

    Yes you can. Why the relevant project chooses not to is a question
    to direct to them and the relevant developers.

    --

    The average IT manager is a less effective mentor than a
    Spongebob Squarepants cartoon.