Will freedom ring on LiMo's Linux-based mobile platform?

,----[ Quote ]
| Although I have significant doubts about the willingness of the carriers to
| do the right thing, it seems like the underlying technology of the LiMo
| platform has the potential to deliver a lot of value. Schlesinger makes a
| strong case for a community-driven development approach, something that he
| says is lacking in Google's Android strategy.
| "Carriers and device manufacturers do not like being caught up in a duopoly
| of proprietary mobile operating systems," Schlesinger said. "Open source lets
| us better leverage our finite developer resources. You can get more done
| working with a community than you can with a proprietary model, always."

Mobile Linux Groups Join Forces

,----[ Quote ]
| LiPS was working to create a standard that would define APIs (application
| programming interfaces) for developing applications to run on a mobile Linux
| kernel. By contrast, the LiMo Foundation is aiming to build a de facto
| standard software platform that handset makers can use to create Linux
| phones.

The Happy Collision of Collaboration and Competition in the Mobile World

,----[ Quote ]
| LiMo's transparent governance model and a critically important intellectual
| property (IP) safe harbor to refine the Foundation's common, Linux-based
| middleware platform -- while remaining entirely free to deliver their own
| compelling and differentiated services to mobile customers.

Smartphones, Linux gaining share

,----[ Quote ]
| Two just-published market research reports bode well for Linux's future in
| the market for higher-priced smartphones. J.D. Power reports that rising
| smartphone sales are driving handset prices higher, while ABI Research
| predicts Linux will take a 23 percent share of the smartphone segment by
| 2013.

Nokia: Linux role growing, not yet mainstream

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia's Chief Financial Officer Rick Simonson last month called Linux's
| role "terribly important" at an investor conference, saying Nokia had been
| developing the next generation of Linux-based products, which are starting to
| come to the market.

Nokia eyes wider usage of Linux in cellphones

,----[ Quote ]
| "It's going to be terribly important," Nokia's Chief Financial Officer Rick
| Simonson told an investor conference when asked about the role of Linux-based
| tablets.
| He said the company has been developing the next generation of Linux-based
| products, which are starting to come to the market.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAkiOG5kACgkQU4xAY3RXLo771wCgqoW+VkflGZ hkhouaj5dMy9+C