Re: [Rival] Microsoft Manager's Departure More Like a Runaway - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [Rival] Microsoft Manager's Departure More Like a Runaway - Linux ; On Jul 28, 3:20 pm, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > Johnson's departure from Microsoft probably abrupt > ,----[ Quote ] > | Remarks from Chief Executive Steve Ballmer at that meeting certainly indicate > | the move was a surprise. > ...

  1. Re: [Rival] Microsoft Manager's Departure More Like a Runaway

    wrote:

    > Johnson's departure from Microsoft probably abrupt
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Remarks from Chief Executive Steve Ballmer at that meeting certainly indicate
    > | the move was a surprise.
    > `----
    > http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...703_btdownload...

    I snipped the other references, because I just wanted to respond to
    the general thread.

    It does look like Microsoft is losing a lot of it's top executives,
    much like rats deserting a sinking ship.

    Bill Gates had a certain leadership style, and he know how to use
    Ballmer's "Bull-dog" persona in "good cop/bad cop" scenarios.

    Now that Bill is gone, some of Ballmer's uglier habits are going
    unchecked.

    Ballmer has a nasty temper, he also tends to get fixated and doesn't
    get distracted.
    That's great when you are trying to get the next version of Windows
    rolled out, or you're trying to get OEMs and ISVs to honor their
    minimum commitments, but it's not a good idea if you are focused on
    something that may not be in the best interests of the general
    investment community as a whole.

    Ballmer seems obsessed with destroying Google. I suppose this is
    because Google is the shining example of the success of Linux. It
    might also have something to do with the fact that Google has a
    clearer picture of the whole industry than anybody, including
    Microsoft, and will make that information available (for a price).
    Google also leads the market in advertizing revenue, but they also
    direct several times their own revenue to other content providers who
    can profit from Google's referrals.

    Ballmer's obsession with getting Yahoo, almost no matter what the
    price, and his hopes of somehow turning Yahoo into a showcase for
    Microsoft technology, seems to be totally ignorant of the fact that
    Yahoo, almost since it's founding was based on OSS, including BSD
    Unix, and other GPL and OSS services and applications.

    When the numbers came out the way they did in the last quarterly
    report, I was quite surprised, but also alarmed. Microsoft seems to
    be pressing their own pants while they are wearing them. Their
    revenues were up, but so were their costs. They still don't
    acknowledge the rejection of Vista, claiming that all of the Vista
    licenses sold were actually used for Vista.

    These upper level executives may also be aware of other "shake-downs"
    at Microsoft, such as hard-line quotas based on fantasy numbers that
    would require corporate customers to fully embrace not only Vista,
    Office 2007, and Windows 2008 server, but also would require that they
    purchase new licenses and premium support for all of this new
    software, at a time when fuel prices and the housing collapse are
    hitting everything from the cost of an airplane ticket to the price of
    a hamburger.

    Credit is tight. The economy is slowing down. U.S. Car Makers and
    Dealers are going through upheaval as SUVs fall out of favor.

    Many companies are cutting staff.

    IT budgets are being scrutinized by the CFO, COO, and CEO.

    and Microsoft is telling their sales force that their quotas are
    supposed to increase to cover the slow uptake of Vista and Office
    2007.

    In effect, Microsoft, under Steve Ballmer is in the same dilusional
    state that IBM was under John Akers back in 1991.

    Some of these people may also be getting wind of more illegal
    activities, including securities violations, criminal activities, and
    other hard-core tactics, without that velvet glove finesse of Bill
    Gates II and Bill Gates III.

    Bill used to get away with amazing stunts, because it was carefully
    scripted and orchestrated by his father, an outstanding corporate
    lawyer with a real talent for writting creative contracts and
    settlements that let businesses continue "business as usual" even
    after losing in the court-room.

    Bill was appearantly a great poker player because he could make you
    think he had nothing as he gradually raised the stakes until you were
    in too deep. By the time you realized that he actually did have a
    "hot hand" he'd already cleaned you out. Or he might be bluffing all
    the way to the point where you are too scared to call. At that point,
    you're both trying to "out-bluff" each other, and Bill doesn't back
    down.

    When Ballmer is telling a tall tale, you can tell. Just like the
    "crazy stevie" Windows 1.0 commercials. When you see that ad, and you
    see the reality of Windows 1.0, you realize that Steve Ballmer was "in
    sane" (as the crazy eddie commercials would end).

  2. Re: [Rival] Microsoft Manager's Departure More Like a Runaway

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:07:59 -0700 (PDT), Rex Ballard wrote:

    > It does look like Microsoft is losing a lot of it's top executives,
    > much like rats deserting a sinking ship.
    >
    > Bill Gates had a certain leadership style, and he know how to use
    > Ballmer's "Bull-dog" persona in "good cop/bad cop" scenarios.
    >
    > Now that Bill is gone, some of Ballmer's uglier habits are going
    > unchecked.

    My personal feeling is that Microsoft has lost whatever *vision* it once
    had.
    Apple has stepped in and is converting Microsoft Windows users in
    reasonable numbers.

    Vista to the average person is XP with a pretty face and hefty hardware
    demands.
    People don't need it.
    The press has been ruthless with Vista reviews and rightfully so IMHO.

    Still, several facts still remain and those are Microsoft is selling tons
    of Vista product and Linux is still languishing at a miserably low
    percentage of the desktop market.

    Hopefully the Vista saga will be a wakeup call for Microsoft to get it's
    groove back, listen to the consumers and react accordingly.

    Either way, Linux is still a piker in the eyes of the average Windows
    desktop user who would rather pay for a Mac than switch to Linux.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [Rival] Microsoft Manager's Departure More Like a Runaway

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 19:48:18 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Rex Ballard on Monday 28 July 2008 18:07 : \____
    >
    >> When the numbers came out the way they did in the last quarterly
    >> report, I was quite surprised, but also alarmed. *Microsoft seems to
    >> be pressing their own pants while they are wearing them. *Their
    >> revenues were up, but so were their costs.

    > Are you are aware of the 'number' of revenues (companies) they _bought_ in the
    > past year? For a less deceiving picture, watch the company's savings. They are
    > on par with Apple's now and dropping all the time. If another buyback cycle is
    > invoked (as one analyst suggested one week), expect Microsoft to operate
    > _under debt_. And that's _without Yahoo!_.
    >
    > - --
    > ~~ Best of wishes
    >
    > Roy S. Schestowitz | Reversi for Linux/Win32: http://othaellomaster.com
    > http://Schestowitsz.com | RHAT GNU/Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572dE8E

    10 years in college and you still haven't taken a Business 101 class yet
    Roy Schestowitz?

    God only knows in that amount of time you should have at least audited the
    entire Universities's syllabus by now!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: [Rival] Microsoft Manager's Departure More Like a Runaway

+ Reply to Thread