[News] ASUS Loses by Surrendering to Microsoft Pressure - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] ASUS Loses by Surrendering to Microsoft Pressure - Linux ; On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 15:42:24 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote: > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:22:06 -0700 (PDT), Rex Ballard wrote: > >>Does ANYBODY still buy computers at Best Buy? Seriously, if you're >>going to spend $700 to 1400 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. Re: ASUS Loses by Surrendering to Microsoft Pressure

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 15:42:24 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:

    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:22:06 -0700 (PDT), Rex Ballard wrote:
    >
    >>Does ANYBODY still buy computers at Best Buy? Seriously, if you're
    >>going to spend $700 to 1400 on a computer, why settle for the machine
    >>with the 5400 RPM SATA drive, the low res display, and Vista Home
    >>edition.

    > I won't even go into best buy any more. I tried to spend $2500 on a front
    > department to turn down the thumping rap music for a half hour. I'd ask them to
    > turn it down, they'd say fine, and then they'd turn it back up as soon as I was
    > 30' away. **** them. I hope then sold a lot of $250 stereos in that half hour
    > to make up for the $2500 lost sale.

    Hopefully it wasn't a Maytag Neptune series.....

    Maytag bought back my cousins set because it was so bad.
    Water would not fully drain and clothes would get a sour smell.
    The control panel exploded in flames the first time he plugged in the
    dryer.
    ETC...
    The net is full of stuff about that line.

    I have a Matag set BTW (not Neptune) and am very happy with them.
    Built like tanks!

    I can understand your frustration though, I hate stores that have blasting
    music like that.

    > I had the exact same experience at three different stores. I ended up buying at
    > home depot instead. Best Buy used to be a great store, but it is now a ghetto
    > store.

    They are pretty good where I live because the noise is off in separate
    rooms so you don't hear it.
    It wasn't always like that though, this is fairly recent.

    Circuit City is the ghetto store where I live.
    I get a headache just walking around.

    As for Depot, I refuse to shop there.
    Why?
    You take your life in your hands as idiots are pushing carts of lumber
    around like maniacs trying to get to the register ahead of someone else.

    Depot seems to attract dirtbaggers for some reason.
    Not you of course

    Also things tend to fall off the shelves, way up in the air shelves.

    One other thing about Depot that you may or may not know, but some, not
    all, but some of their goods are not exactly the same as the ones you would
    get elsewhere.

    Plumbing fixtures and power tools (DeWalt) for one.

    They will not tell you this of course, but it's true.

    For power tools you will discover this when you try to get parts for one,
    say brushes for the motor. That's how I found out.

    They look the same, exactly the same in fact from the outside but in some,
    not all, but some cases they are different. Look at the model number, the
    entire number that you need to specify when ordering parts.
    You will see a few different letters/numbers.

    For plumbing fixtures they often do not get the same QC inspection that the
    ones you would get from a plumbing house might get.
    Chances are they are fine, but then again.....

    That's one reason that Depot can sell for less.

    I hate Depot....

    I buy from a local appliance place and the price is usually the same and if
    not i get extras like free delivery/setup/removal old stuff etc to make up
    the difference.
    I also support a local merchant instead of a place that is the Microsoft of
    the Home Improvement business.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: ASUS Loses by Surrendering to Microsoft Pressure

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 21:35:04 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Rex Ballard wrote:
    >
    >> Does ANYBODY still buy computers at Best Buy? Seriously, if you're
    >> going to spend $700 to 1400 on a computer, why settle for the machine
    >> with the 5400 RPM SATA drive, the low res display, and Vista Home
    >> edition.
    >>
    >> If you're serious about buying a computer, you go to Best Buy to see
    >> what it looks like, then you go to the Dell, HP, Acer, or Lenovo Web
    >> Site and order what you REALLY want, including WSXGA display, 2 gig of
    >> RAM, and 7200 RPM SATA-II drive.

    > You talking about laptops?
    >
    > I rarely go into BestBuy, but I was there this past Saturday and they have a
    > bunch of good deals on desktops. I spent most of my computer time there
    > looking at this Gateway beast for $1150
    >
    > http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1214611180474
    >
    > Core 2 Quad Q9300, 1333 frontside bus
    > 6GB PC2-5300 DDR2 memory
    > 640GB SATA II drive
    > GeForce 9800 GT 512mb
    > Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP1

    That's a beauty!!!
    I doubt you could build it for that price.

    >> And while you're at it, you can pick
    >> up the XP installation media and a full replacement plan.
    >>
    >> Is it any wonder that Best Buy shelves have lots of "holes" where
    >> unsold inventory is not being restocked (they lost their shirts trying
    >> to dump the initial shipment).

    > You should startup a Linux OEM, and turn that small IBM fortune into a tiny
    > IBM fortune.

    Hahaha!

    >> These days, Best Buy computer
    >> departments are just plain depressing.

    > The laptop area was humming. Desktops less so, but still had a steady
    > stream of lookers.

    They now have an Apple section with all kinds of stuff and it was buzzing
    with people the other day when I was there.

    Real nice, kind of like what MEI Microcenter does.

    >> The Vista shelves are locked
    >> and about 50% empty. Seems that a few people tried to upgrade their
    >> home machines, and hated Vista so much that Best Buy decided not to
    >> pay more interest on Junk inventory.

    > blah blah blah...

    He's full of crap.
    If anything, i did notice the memory section seemed a little low on stock
    but I suspect they had a special.

    > They did have 2 copies of Ubuntu Complete Edition, and that's it for Linux.
    > They used to carry more.

    It's in the reject section

    >> Ironically, even with Geek Squad on-site, they don't seem to be able
    >> to install Linux for you. Seems there is something in their agreement
    >> with Microsoft that prevents this.

    > You're a liar.

    Yep....

    >> At least J&R will sell you what you really want, and doesn't try to
    >> exclude legitimate competitors.

    > Linux is not a legitimate competitor to Windows or Mac.

    Linux is free.
    It can't be given away.
    Nobody seems to want it.
    Nuff' said...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  3. Re: ASUS Loses by Surrendering to Microsoft Pressure

    Rex Ballard writes:

    > On Jul 28, 10:24 pm, "Moshe Goldfarb."
    > wrote:
    >> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:20:36 -0700 (PDT), Rex Ballard wrote:
    >>
    >> > Actually, Microsoft's pressure back-fired. When Microsoft first tried
    >> > to get XP Home edition for the EEE to store shelves, they expected 60%
    >> > of the sales to be Windows versions, and 40% to be Vista versions.

    >> Which is why BestBuy, at last check, no longer carries the Linux version.

    > I never saw the Linux version OR the XP version, but J&R in NYC still
    > had the Linux version on display. When I observed the other shoppers,
    > for about 45 minutes, the seemed to prefer the Linux version.

    What a load of nonsense.

    > Partly
    > because it was new and different, partly because they actually did
    > like OpenOffice and they found that they really could type on it.

    Did you tell them that OO worked on Windows too?

    >> You Linux loons need to exit the Holodeck once in a while and come out into
    >> the real world.....

    > You think Microsoft is the "real world"?
    >
    > No THAT'S AMUSING.
    > ROFLMAO
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb

+ Reply to Thread