U.S. position on Cuba hurts Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| At a technology conference in February last year, the Cuban government
| declared its intention to rid itself of Microsoft software in favor of
| open-source alternatives. According to an Associated Press report,
| Communications Minister Ramiro Valdes, who opened the conference, suggested
| that Microsoft was cooperating with U.S. military and intelligence
| authorities, and he proclaimed that IT is a battlefield on which Cuba is
| fighting imperialism.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...intsrc=kc_feat
http://tinyurl.com/6jspk8

Recent:

Kicking Cuba's Free Software Switch Into a Higher Gear

,----[ Quote ]
| In fact, the changeover strategy is made up of several stages, from
| installing specific programs such as the browser Mozilla Firefox to replace
| the widely used Internet Explorer, which began Jan. 5, to training operators
| to use OpenOffice instead of Microsoft Office, until patented software is
| finally dropped.
|
| [...]
|
| The purpose of the move is to "attain sovereignty and technological
| autonomy," as recommended by the Ibero-American Charter on Electronic
| Government, approved by the Ninth Ibero-American Conference of Ministers for
| Public Administration and State Reform, held in Chile in June 2007.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Ki...ear-63101.html

University of Havana Finally Switches to Free Software

,----[ Quote ]
| And, Yudivián Almeida, professor of computer at the University of Havana,
| this change means that “[w]hen free software has been installed on all of the
| university’s computers, it will make no sense to teach using anything else.”
| So, one more Latin American institution has made the conversion away from
| closed, proprietary software and towards open knowledge. * *
`----

http://news.northxsouth.com/

Cuba Lifts Ban on Home Computers

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm a Cuban. This happened more than a month ago. And we are very happy that
| someone finally came to his senses about it.
|
| What's new, though, is that [startin soon], they are going to be sold without
| operating systems... No more windows pre-installed. Or so I've heard. Now we
| only need tons of Ubuntu disks to give away at the sotre. *
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/05/03/1236214

Cuba Votes No to OOXML - Says It Did So in September, Too - Updated

,----[ Quote ]
| More OOXML news. The Cuban National Bureau of Standards has reportedly sent
| an email to the three names NBs are supposed to notify at ISO, Toshiko
| Kimura, Keith Brannon, and Martine Gaillen, reporting that Cuba votes to
| disapprove OOXML. *
|
| But the startling news is that the email claims that Cuba voted no in
| September but that its vote was miscounted. *
|
| [...]
|
| If you recall, the public announcement by ISO in September said that Cuba had
| voted to approve, which led to puzzlement. Not so, says the email, which was
| sent on Friday evening and broadly cc'd, including to all the NBs, perhaps to
| ensure there was no confusion this time. Cuba was deeply injured by the false
| report, the email says. Cuba voted no with comments in September. It never
| approved OOXML. * *
`----

Related:

The Gradual Introduction of Free Software in Cuba Becomes Significant to Go
Ahead in the Crucial Strategy.

,----[ Quote ]
| Without “pushing the boat out”, the gradual introduction of free software in
| Cuba becomes significant to go ahead in the process of incorporating *
| informatics into society.
`----

http://www.cubaheadlines.com/2008/02..._strategy.html

Cuba embraces migration to free and open source software

,----[ Quote ]
| Cuba's Cabinet also has urged a shift from proprietary software. The customs
| service has gone to Linux and the ministries of culture, higher education and *
| communications are planning to do so, Rodriguez said.
|
| And students in his own department are cooking up a version of Linux called
| Nova, based on Gentoo distribution of the operating system. The ministry of
| higher education is developing its own. *
`----

http://www.cubaheadlines.com/2007/08..._software.html

Cuba Embraces Open-Source Software

,----[ Quote ]