[News] Music Management and VoIP Recording with Free Software - Linux

  1. [News] Music Management and VoIP Recording with Free Software

    Open your jukebox: Open-source alternatives for music management

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Not mere freeware, but open-source alternatives are well-known for nearly
    | every major category of software. Firefox and Linux are probably the most
    | famous, but OpenOffice, GIMP, Thunderbird, Pidgin, Miro, and others have made
    | themselves known in practically every genre. Heck, there's even an
    | open-source firmware for your portable MP3 player--Rockbox.
    `----

    http://www.download.com/8301-2007_4-9999281-12.html

    OrecX Debuts Open Source VoIP Recording Technology

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | OrecX LLC, a leading provider of open source voice recording applications,
    | today announced the formal debut of its award-winning Oreka Total Recording
    | (TR) software solution for customer service management professionals,
    | leveraging the power of open source in bolstering efficient call-center
    | operation.
    `----

    http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/10761.html

    http://oreka.sourceforge.net/download/

    "You may modify and distribute Oreka under the GNU GPL."

    Related:

    The Windows Vista Anti-Recording Conspiracy Thwarted

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For several years now, the ability to record audio on new Windows PC's has
    | slowly eroded, until it's become virtually impossible to record anything but
    | your Microphone on new Windows Vista machines.
    `----

    http://www.applian.com/blog/archives...ndows_vis.html

    Why Vista sounds worse

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Changes to how the latest version of Windows handles audio playback has
    | caused unexpected quality issues for musicians and consumers alike, reports
    | Tim Anderson
    `----

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...oft.technology

  2. Re: [News] Music Management and VoIP Recording with Free Software

    On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 21:00:02 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Open your jukebox: Open-source alternatives for music management
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Not mere freeware, but open-source alternatives are well-known for nearly
    >| every major category of software. Firefox and Linux are probably the most
    >| famous, but OpenOffice, GIMP, Thunderbird, Pidgin, Miro, and others have made
    >| themselves known in practically every genre. Heck, there's even an
    >| open-source firmware for your portable MP3 player--Rockbox.

    Does it do iTunes?
    Can I use the iTunes store to purchase music?

    No?

    It's doomed...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Music Management and VoIP Recording with Free Software

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 19:35:03 +0000, 7 wrote:

    > If you are smart and start using Linux, you can instead use streamtuner
    > and streamripper in Linux and tune into 10,000+ Internet radio stations
    > of every kind of music on the planet.
    >
    > Its all free with source code to install on your PCs and turn them into
    > proper multi-media workstations

    That's not OS dependant. It's just a variation on recording radio
    broadcasts, or using a VCR, for personal use.

    -Thufir

  4. Re: [News] Music Management and VoIP Recording with Free Software

    On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 21:45:38 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 21:00:02 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Open your jukebox: Open-source alternatives for music management
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Not mere freeware, but open-source alternatives are well-known for
    >>nearly | every major category of software. Firefox and Linux are
    >>probably the most | famous, but OpenOffice, GIMP, Thunderbird, Pidgin,
    >>Miro, and others have made | themselves known in practically every
    >>genre. Heck, there's even an | open-source firmware for your portable
    >>MP3 player--Rockbox.

    > Does it do iTunes?
    > Can I use the iTunes store to purchase music?
    >
    > No?
    >
    > It's doomed...

    Screw iTunes

  5. Re: [News] Music Management and VoIP Recording with Free Software

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:24:57 +0000 (UTC), Firey Bird wrote:

    > On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 21:45:38 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 21:00:02 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> Open your jukebox: Open-source alternatives for music management
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>>nearly | every major category of software. Firefox and Linux are
    >>>probably the most | famous, but OpenOffice, GIMP, Thunderbird, Pidgin,
    >>>Miro, and others have made | themselves known in practically every
    >>>genre. Heck, there's even an | open-source firmware for your portable
    >>>MP3 player--Rockbox.

    >> Does it do iTunes?
    >> Can I use the iTunes store to purchase music?
    >>
    >> No?
    >>
    >> It's doomed...

    > Screw iTunes

    Sour grapes......

    Media Monkey is much better though IMHO

    AmaCROCK's developers should look at Media Monkey to see how a REAL media
    management program should look and work.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/