[News] Medical Knowledge Set Free - Linux

  2. Re: [News] Medical Knowledge Set Free

    wrote
    on Fri, 25 Jul 2008 19:21:57 +0000
    <1968633.5rBIFCxWBy@schestowitz.com>:

    > Doctors, PHDs to edit new Wikipedia of medical information
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | A project launched Wednesday aims to create what is in essence a medical
    > | Wikipedia, an online encyclopedia focused on explaining conditions, drugs,
    > | procedures, medial facilities and other medical topics written by physicians
    > | and PhDs.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.p...7;fp;16;fpid;1
    >

    > Related:
    >
    > Now You Can Read What Doctors See
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | John Willinsky, Open Medicine's volunteer publisher and an open access
    > | expert at the University of British Columbia, argues access to
    > | knowledge shouldn't cost the public a dime.
    > `----
    >
    > http://thetyee.ca/Mediacheck/2007/04/18/OpenMed/

    Pedant Point: 1 dime retail = about 1 GB of data, at least for me.
    The calculation is rather simple:

    payment in $/month * 1 GB / (bandwidth in kB/s * 86400 s/day * 30 day/month)
    = cost of 1 GB of data

    or one can use:

    amount desired, in $ * bandwidth in kB/s * 86400 s/day * 30 day/month
    / payment in $/month = amount of data one can get, in kB

    If one's lucky, one can use "free" Wi-Fi, though one might
    then have to comb through the yearly city or county budget
    to find the cost.

    A lot cheaper than some options; ISO in particular wants me
    to pay 126 Swiss Francs (about $121.52) for an official copy
    of at least one of their specs. For example, ISO8601:

    http://www.iso.org/iso/search.htm?qt...e&published=on

    I doubt ISO8601 runs 1.2 TB in length.

    Fortunately, there's a lot of free information, of varying
    utility and "normativeness"[*], at

    http://www.dmoz.org/Science/Referenc.../ISO/ISO_8601/

    But I digress.

    Pedant Point #2: "Big Pharm" (not to be confused with
    the identity theft technique of pharming) might have some
    interesting additions to put into this Wiki.

    > Push for open access to research
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | "Cancer patients seeking information on new treatments or parents
    > | searching for the latest on childhood development issues were often
    > | denied access to the research they indirectly fund through their
    > | taxes"
    > `----

    [*] in the World Wide Web Consortium and RFC's, a normative section
    is a section that is part of a specification and is required
    for compliance. An informative section is not required for
    compliance but may help in understanding.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because life's too short for a buggy OS.