[News] Debian 5.0 (Lenny) Coming Soon - Linux

  1. [News] Debian 5.0 (Lenny) Coming Soon

    Debian looks to launch lenny in Sept.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Debian project's maintainer, Luk Claes, announced in an email Saturday
    | that he will freeze the "testing" or "Lenny" tree, in preparation for a new
    | stable release of Debian Linux. On Claes's checklist for September
    | 2008: "Release lenny!"
    `----

    Debian maintainer calls for embedded input

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | With the next version of Debian frozen for release in September, eight of its
    | 12 architectures risk exclusion.
    `----

    http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS7...37.html?kc=rss

    Recent:

    Debian celebrates 15-year legacy

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Debian, arguably the most important Linux distribution, is readying to
    | celebrate its 15th birthday on August 16.
    |
    | While a respected and widely-used Linux distribution in its own right, Debian
    | has, over the 15 years, also been widely used as the base for numerous other
    | Linux distributions, including the popular Ubuntu distribution created by
    | South African entrepreneur, Mark Shuttleworth.
    `----

    http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2662

    Deploying KDE [on Debian GNU/Linux] to 52 million young people

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | By the end of this year 29,000 labs serving some 32,000,000 students will be
    | fully deployed and in active use.
    |
    | By the end of next year (2009) those numbers will have swelled to 53,000 labs
    | serving some 52,000,000 students.
    `----

    http://aseigo.blogsp

    Debian packages for KDE 4.1, KOffice alpha9 and more

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In the beginning of this week, KDE 4.1 RC 1 was released and, of course,
    | there are Debian packages since the release day. The instructions I blogged
    | about how to install the beta1 (and downgrade) still mostly apply, although
    | the version of the KDE 4 RC1 is 4.0.98.
    | The Debian KDE Team website has finally been updated, so you have even more
    | useful information about how to install KDE 4.1 packages from experimental,
    | specially the bits about Apt Pinning.
    `----

    http://ekaia.org/blog/2008/07/19/deb...pha9-and-more/

  2. Re: [News] Debian 5.0 (Lenny) Coming Soon

    > Debian looks to launch lenny in Sept.
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| The Debian project's maintainer, Luk Claes, announced in an email Saturday
    >| that he will freeze the "testing" or "Lenny" tree, in preparation for a new
    >| stable release of Debian Linux. On Claes's checklist for September
    >| 2008: "Release lenny!"
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS2868263273.html

    Cool! Almost time to install sid!

    --
    Getting the job done is no excuse for not following the rules.
    Corollary:

  3. Re: [News] Debian 5.0 (Lenny) Coming Soon

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Debian looks to launch lenny in Sept.
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | The Debian project's maintainer, Luk Claes, announced in an email
    > | Saturday that he will freeze the "testing" or "Lenny" tree, in
    > | preparation for a new stable release of Debian Linux. On Claes's
    > | checklist for September 2008: "Release lenny!"
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS2868263273.html
    >
    > Debian maintainer calls for embedded input
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | With the next version of Debian frozen for release in September, eight
    > | of its 12 architectures risk exclusion.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS7...37.html?kc=rss
    >

    > Recent:
    >
    > Debian celebrates 15-year legacy
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Debian, arguably the most important Linux distribution, is readying to
    > | celebrate its 15th birthday on August 16.
    > |
    > | While a respected and widely-used Linux distribution in its own right,
    > | Debian has, over the 15 years, also been widely used as the base for
    > | numerous other Linux distributions, including the popular Ubuntu
    > | distribution created by South African entrepreneur, Mark Shuttleworth.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2662
    >

    > Deploying KDE [on Debian GNU/Linux] to 52 million young people
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | By the end of this year 29,000 labs serving some 32,000,000 students
    > | will be fully deployed and in active use.
    > |
    > | By the end of next year (2009) those numbers will have swelled to 53,000
    > | labs serving some 52,000,000 students.
    > `----
    >
    > http://aseigo.blogsp
    >

    > Debian packages for KDE 4.1, KOffice alpha9 and more
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | In the beginning of this week, KDE 4.1 RC 1 was released and, of course,
    > | there are Debian packages since the release day. The instructions I
    > | blogged about how to install the beta1 (and downgrade) still mostly
    > | apply, although the version of the KDE 4 RC1 is 4.0.98.
    > | The Debian KDE Team website has finally been updated, so you have even
    > | more useful information about how to install KDE 4.1 packages from
    > | experimental, specially the bits about Apt Pinning.
    > `----

    Bye Lenny. It was great but on to the next testing whatever it will be
    called.
    Attila