Online Classes - Linux

This is a discussion on Online Classes - Linux ; On Jul 25, 3:43*pm, Snit wrote: > "cc" stated in post > c642d368-16a1-4aad-9639-dc1ab91a5...@j1g2000prb.googlegroups.com on 7/25/08 > 5:57 AM: > > > > > > > On Jul 24, 1:18*am, Patrick Thorley wrote: > >> "Tim Smith" stated in post > ...

  1. Re: Online Classes

    On Jul 25, 3:43*pm, Snit wrote:
    > "cc" stated in post
    > c642d368-16a1-4aad-9639-dc1ab91a5...@j1g2000prb.googlegroups.com on 7/25/08
    > 5:57 AM:
    >

    > > On Jul 24, 1:18*am, Patrick Thorley wrote:
    > >> "Tim Smith" stated in post
    > >> reply_in_group-955C2B.22083723072...@news.supernews.com on 7/23/08 10:08 PM:

    > >> So it is good enough to gamble my college degree on in your view. *No
    > >> thanks. *I want to be sure technology quirks will not prevent me from
    > >> getting a degree.

    > > Technology quirks will not prevent you from getting a degree, unless
    > > you're going to a ****ty University. Whether or not you get a degree
    > > from a place like that then, is irrelevant. I too have had classes
    > > where the requirement was MS Word. I too elected to use a different
    > > word processor. I graduated. You'll have more important things to
    > > worry about when you start, and alot more fun to have. Just take Tim's
    > > advice and use OpenOffice.

    > And then with any even moderately complex document, such as one where you
    > have to follow strict APA or MLA styles, you run the risk of having your
    > instructor see them differently and thus hurting your grade - that is unless
    > you also have a copy of Word to test the files with.
    >
    > Since Patrick has a copy of MS Word I suggest he uses that. *Makes the most
    > sense.

    You can follow APA or MLA styles in Notepad. If you were majoring in
    some sort of business major, then I'd suggest Word, but only because
    I'm not sure of the business capabilities of OpenOffice. Otherwise
    it's not a big deal.

  2. Re: Online Classes

    "cc" stated in post
    efca75ba-bf76-44f2-84fc-72f00dd26891...oglegroups.com on 7/26/08
    9:05 AM:

    > On Jul 25, 3:43*pm, Snit wrote:
    >> "cc" stated in post
    >> c642d368-16a1-4aad-9639-dc1ab91a5...@j1g2000prb.googlegroups.com on 7/25/08
    >> 5:57 AM:

    >>> Technology quirks will not prevent you from getting a degree, unless
    >>> you're going to a ****ty University. Whether or not you get a degree
    >>> from a place like that then, is irrelevant. I too have had classes
    >>> where the requirement was MS Word. I too elected to use a different
    >>> word processor. I graduated. You'll have more important things to
    >>> worry about when you start, and alot more fun to have. Just take Tim's
    >>> advice and use OpenOffice.

    >> And then with any even moderately complex document, such as one where you
    >> have to follow strict APA or MLA styles, you run the risk of having your
    >> instructor see them differently and thus hurting your grade - that is unless
    >> you also have a copy of Word to test the files with.
    >>
    >> Since Patrick has a copy of MS Word I suggest he uses that. *Makes the most
    >> sense.
    >>

    > You can follow APA or MLA styles in Notepad. If you were majoring in
    > some sort of business major, then I'd suggest Word, but only because
    > I'm not sure of the business capabilities of OpenOffice. Otherwise
    > it's not a big deal.

    Notepad does not support tables and footnotes and other things needed for
    MLA and APA.

    --
    Dear Aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all

  3. Re: Online Classes

    On Jul 26, 12:44*pm, Snit wrote:
    > "cc" stated in post
    > efca75ba-bf76-44f2-84fc-72f00dd26...@26g2000hsk.googlegroups.com on 7/26/08
    > 9:05 AM:
    >

    > > On Jul 25, 3:43*pm, Snit wrote:
    > >> "cc" stated in post
    > >> c642d368-16a1-4aad-9639-dc1ab91a5...@j1g2000prb.googlegroups.com on 7/25/08
    > >> 5:57 AM:

    > >> And then with any even moderately complex document, such as one where you
    > >> have to follow strict APA or MLA styles, you run the risk of having your
    > >> instructor see them differently and thus hurting your grade - that is unless
    > >> you also have a copy of Word to test the files with.

    > >> Since Patrick has a copy of MS Word I suggest he uses that. *Makes the most
    > >> sense.

    > > You can follow APA or MLA styles in Notepad. If you were majoring in
    > > some sort of business major, then I'd suggest Word, but only because
    > > I'm not sure of the business capabilities of OpenOffice. Otherwise
    > > it's not a big deal.

    > Notepad does not support tables and footnotes and other things needed for
    > MLA and APA.

    If you need tables or footnotes you can use OpenOffice then. There is
    nothing in APA or MLA that requires Word.

  4. Re: Online Classes

    "cc" stated in post
    1e937960-5756-4e2b-a56a-4e59e82f629e...oglegroups.com on 7/26/08
    11:33 AM:

    >>> You can follow APA or MLA styles in Notepad. If you were majoring in
    >>> some sort of business major, then I'd suggest Word, but only because
    >>> I'm not sure of the business capabilities of OpenOffice. Otherwise
    >>> it's not a big deal.

    >> Notepad does not support tables and footnotes and other things needed for
    >> MLA and APA.
    >>

    > If you need tables or footnotes you can use OpenOffice then. There is
    > nothing in APA or MLA that requires Word.

    Nobody said there was anything in APA or MLA that requires Word. But if the
    person looking at your work is using Word *and* you want to make sure your
    formatting works as flawlessly as possible then you should use Word as well.
    Preferably the same version. If you do not then there is a real and
    significant risk of having your formatting not stay the same - and if you
    have to stick to strict style-guides this can adversely effect your grade.

    I am not saying it is right, good, fair, or what I would want - but the fact
    that at least some colleges insist on MS Word files is clearly true. And
    OpenOffice (and Apple's Pages, for what it is worth), while being largely
    compatible are not fully.

    --
    I know how a jam jar feels...
    .... full of jam!

  5. Re: Online Classes

    On 2008-07-25, Patrick Thorley wrote:
    > "Gregory Shearman" stated in post
    > slrng8kk9n.8qn.ZekeGregory@netscape.net on 7/25/08 3:18 PM:
    >
    >> On 2008-07-25, Tim Smith wrote:

    >>> I'm curious why you take his user agent showing a program that is not
    >>> available for Windows as evidence he is running Windows--that seems kind
    >>> of counter intuitive. I'd take it as evidence he's running a Mac, since
    >>> Entourage is only available for Mac. I suppose he could be running some
    >>> kind of Mac emulator under Windows, but that seems rather unlikely.

    >> Hmmmm... I didn't know that... thanks. The reason I don't know it is
    >> that I don't use Windows and assumed that the Microsoft product was for
    >> a Windows machine. A reasonable assumption but unfortunately wrong.
    >>
    >> Looks like the poster is using a Mac then... rather than Ubuntu...
    >>
    >> Doesn't sound fair dinkum to me, especially the lack of detail and the
    >> fact that the poster is asking advice in an advocacy group.

    > I asked for help and got some good answers and a bunch of trolling from
    > ignorant boobs.

    I'm sure you did. 8-)

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  6. Re: Online Classes

    On 2008-07-26, RonB wrote:
    > Homer wrote:
    >
    >> They "require" that your WP be made by one particular vendor?
    >>
    >> Interesting.

    > They probably require that his assignments be in Word format. Just use
    > OpenOffice.

    But OpenOffice, according to the poster, is a _hack_ and might _destroy_
    his chances of succeeding at university...

    Conclusion... use of linux causes you to fail at university.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  7. Re: Online Classes

    "Gregory Shearman" stated in post
    slrng8n5ir.8lr.ZekeGregory@netscape.net on 7/26/08 2:25 PM:

    > On 2008-07-26, RonB wrote:
    >> Homer wrote:
    >>
    >>> They "require" that your WP be made by one particular vendor?
    >>>
    >>> Interesting.

    >> They probably require that his assignments be in Word format. Just use
    >> OpenOffice.
    >>

    > But OpenOffice, according to the poster, is a _hack_ and might _destroy_
    > his chances of succeeding at university...

    For someone who does not want to tinker with the tech... perhaps. Might be
    over-stated a bit but I have explained why OpenOffice is a risk.

    > Conclusion... use of linux causes you to fail at university.

    It can hurt your grades.

    --
    One who makes no mistakes, never makes anything.

  8. Re: Online Classes

    "Gregory Shearman" stated in post
    slrng8n5e5.8lr.ZekeGregory@netscape.net on 7/26/08 2:23 PM:

    > On 2008-07-25, Patrick Thorley wrote:
    >> "Gregory Shearman" stated in post
    >> slrng8kk9n.8qn.ZekeGregory@netscape.net on 7/25/08 3:18 PM:

    >>> Hmmmm... I didn't know that... thanks. The reason I don't know it is
    >>> that I don't use Windows and assumed that the Microsoft product was for
    >>> a Windows machine. A reasonable assumption but unfortunately wrong.
    >>>
    >>> Looks like the poster is using a Mac then... rather than Ubuntu...
    >>>
    >>> Doesn't sound fair dinkum to me, especially the lack of detail and the
    >>> fact that the poster is asking advice in an advocacy group.

    >> I asked for help and got some good answers and a bunch of trolling from
    >> ignorant boobs.
    >>

    > I'm sure you did. 8-)

    Yup.

    --
    "And so, in no sense, is stability a reason to move to a new version. Its
    never a reason." - Bill Gates

  9. Re: Online Classes

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 22:08:37 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Patrick Thorley wrote:
    >> I will soon be taking online classes from a University. They require MS
    >> Word but I have been using Ubuntu for a while and cannot find a version of
    >> MS Word for it. Does it exist? They are very clear that MS Word 2003 or
    >> newer is required. Will OpenOffice or some other hack work or will the
    >> instructors know and will that risk my success. I really just want to focus
    >> on my work. Also, will I be able to use Ubuntu to use all of their online
    >> material?

    > OpenOffice will be fine. Don't worry about it. Its compatibility is
    > good. Furthermore, you are helped by the direction you'll be going--you
    > will be *writing* files for your instructors to read. If you don't go
    > crazy and use obscure weird features of OO (or whatever other non-Word
    > word processor you might use), they should have no trouble opening the
    > files.

    I have to disagree Tim

    My daughter used the family Linux system, PCLinuxOS with OpenOfiice to
    create a very important document she needed for school and while this was
    not a highly complex doc, it formatted terribly when opened with Windows
    Microsoft Word 2003 SP3..
    The margins were off and more importantly the formatting, iearagraphs was
    hosed so sentences were spaced wrong.

    The footnotes were also goofed up, probably due to the formatting problems.

    Personally, my take is this:

    1. You are attending college to prepare yourself for the rest of your life.
    Note: For Roy Schestowitz, college *is* his life, but I digress.
    Your computer is a TOOL, much like Roy Schestowitz is a tool but in a
    different way. (joke to self)..

    2. The college has certain requirements. Having several kids in college,
    different schools, different states in fact, I can speak very accurately on
    the subject of requirements.
    Bottom line, as a student, you can get some incredible discounts on
    software and hardware. Like I said, your objective is to learn the
    discipline you have signed up for, not to spend time being the oddball in
    class (more on that later).

    3. Being the oddball in class is no fun especially when the object is to do
    your studies, not go on some freedom march.
    When the professor passes out charts, database entries, CBT extra courses
    etc on USB or over the network, the idea is to learn the material.

    The people who have followed the college requirements for software/hardware
    will have no problems.
    Those who don't?
    Well, it's a mixed bag.

    Personally, from my experience, the time required to fit Linux into the
    typical college class is just not worth it.

    There is no good reason for you to be the oddball in class.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  10. Re: Online Classes

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 18:08:21 -0700, Patrick Thorley wrote:

    > I will soon be taking online classes from a University. They require MS
    > Word but I have been using Ubuntu for a while and cannot find a version of
    > MS Word for it. Does it exist? They are very clear that MS Word 2003 or
    > newer is required. Will OpenOffice or some other hack work or will the
    > instructors know and will that risk my success. I really just want to focus
    > on my work. Also, will I be able to use Ubuntu to use all of their online
    > material?
    >
    > Should I just move back to Windows? I got tired of the viruses on Windows
    > but I knew then that whatever I wanted to do my computer would do what I
    > need. Now, well, it seems a gamble. I want to stick with Ubuntu if I can.
    > Any ideas?

    BTW, notice the crude, condescending responses you have received from the
    Linux community.

    This should be your first clue.

    Your second clue should come in the form of a phone call to the college
    admissions department asking specifically about Linux.
    A call to the student support helpdesk would not hurt either.

    You might discover that Linux is actually supported.
    I doubt it, but it's worth a try.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: Online Classes

    "Moshe Goldfarb." stated in post
    3eqfq7pqk9be$.9odbec241xs1$.dlg@40tude.net on 7/26/08 3:08 PM:

    > On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 18:08:21 -0700, Patrick Thorley wrote:
    >
    >> I will soon be taking online classes from a University. They require MS
    >> Word but I have been using Ubuntu for a while and cannot find a version of
    >> MS Word for it. Does it exist? They are very clear that MS Word 2003 or
    >> newer is required. Will OpenOffice or some other hack work or will the
    >> instructors know and will that risk my success. I really just want to focus
    >> on my work. Also, will I be able to use Ubuntu to use all of their online
    >> material?
    >>
    >> Should I just move back to Windows? I got tired of the viruses on Windows
    >> but I knew then that whatever I wanted to do my computer would do what I
    >> need. Now, well, it seems a gamble. I want to stick with Ubuntu if I can.
    >> Any ideas?

    > BTW, notice the crude, condescending responses you have received from the
    > Linux community.
    >
    > This should be your first clue.
    >
    > Your second clue should come in the form of a phone call to the college
    > admissions department asking specifically about Linux.
    > A call to the student support helpdesk would not hurt either.
    >
    > You might discover that Linux is actually supported.
    > I doubt it, but it's worth a try.

    Best advice for a Linux user... well stated.

    --
    Picture of a tuna milkshake: http://snipurl.com/f34z
    Feel free to ask for the recipe.

  12. Re: Online Classes

    "Moshe Goldfarb." stated in post
    tjxv4hda2oua.qs7k49p30ib3.dlg@40tude.net on 7/26/08 3:06 PM:

    > On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 22:08:37 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> Patrick Thorley wrote:
    >>> I will soon be taking online classes from a University. They require MS
    >>> Word but I have been using Ubuntu for a while and cannot find a version of
    >>> MS Word for it. Does it exist? They are very clear that MS Word 2003 or
    >>> newer is required. Will OpenOffice or some other hack work or will the
    >>> instructors know and will that risk my success. I really just want to focus
    >>> on my work. Also, will I be able to use Ubuntu to use all of their online
    >>> material?

    >> OpenOffice will be fine. Don't worry about it. Its compatibility is
    >> good. Furthermore, you are helped by the direction you'll be going--you
    >> will be *writing* files for your instructors to read. If you don't go
    >> crazy and use obscure weird features of OO (or whatever other non-Word
    >> word processor you might use), they should have no trouble opening the
    >> files.

    > I have to disagree Tim
    >
    > My daughter used the family Linux system, PCLinuxOS with OpenOfiice to
    > create a very important document she needed for school and while this was
    > not a highly complex doc, it formatted terribly when opened with Windows
    > Microsoft Word 2003 SP3..
    > The margins were off and more importantly the formatting, iearagraphs was
    > hosed so sentences were spaced wrong.
    >
    > The footnotes were also goofed up, probably due to the formatting problems.

    And there is no doubt that could hurt a grade. Why people in COLA have
    trouble understanding this is just weird.

    > Personally, my take is this:
    >
    > 1. You are attending college to prepare yourself for the rest of your life.
    > Note: For Roy Schestowitz, college *is* his life, but I digress.
    > Your computer is a TOOL, much like Roy Schestowitz is a tool but in a
    > different way. (joke to self)..
    >
    > 2. The college has certain requirements. Having several kids in college,
    > different schools, different states in fact, I can speak very accurately on
    > the subject of requirements.
    > Bottom line, as a student, you can get some incredible discounts on
    > software and hardware. Like I said, your objective is to learn the
    > discipline you have signed up for, not to spend time being the oddball in
    > class (more on that later).

    Exactly.

    > 3. Being the oddball in class is no fun especially when the object is to do
    > your studies, not go on some freedom march.
    > When the professor passes out charts, database entries, CBT extra courses
    > etc on USB or over the network, the idea is to learn the material.
    >
    > The people who have followed the college requirements for software/hardware
    > will have no problems.
    > Those who don't?
    > Well, it's a mixed bag.
    >
    > Personally, from my experience, the time required to fit Linux into the
    > typical college class is just not worth it.
    >
    > There is no good reason for you to be the oddball in class.

    Well, not the oddball for no reason.

    --
    If A = B and B = C, then A = C, except where void or prohibited by law.
    Roy Santoro, Psycho Proverb Zone (http://snipurl.com/BurdenOfProof)

  13. Re: Online Classes

    On Jul 26, 3:03*pm, Snit wrote:
    > "cc" stated in post
    > 1e937960-5756-4e2b-a56a-4e59e82f6...@59g2000hsb.googlegroups.com on 7/26/08
    > 11:33 AM:

    > >> Notepad does not support tables and footnotes and other things needed for
    > >> MLA and APA.

    > > If you need tables or footnotes you can use OpenOffice then. There is
    > > nothing in APA or MLA that requires Word.

    > Nobody said there was anything in APA or MLA that requires Word. *But if the
    > person looking at your work is using Word *and* you want to make sure your
    > formatting works as flawlessly as possible then you should use Word as well.
    > Preferably the same version. *If you do not then there is a real and
    > significant risk of having your formatting not stay the same - and if you
    > have to stick to strict style-guides this can adversely effect your grade..

    Only at the ****tiest college with the ****tiest professor would this
    happen. What layout/style guide would an OpenOffice document screw up?
    Some business layouts for sure, but like I said if you're majoring in
    business then you might want to use Word.

    > I am not saying it is right, good, fair, or what I would want - but the fact
    > that at least some colleges insist on MS Word files is clearly true. *And
    > OpenOffice (and Apple's Pages, for what it is worth), while being largely
    > compatible are not fully.

    All I'm saying is, although it's a fact some colleges insist on MS
    Word, it is not a fact that this is enforced. Hell with OpenOffice
    they won't even know the difference.

    If you have MS Word and you're the kind of person that worries about
    the small neglible little things at the expense of having some fun in
    college (like our original poster), then just use Word! This was a
    stupid topic in the first place. "I'm worried about using OpenOffice,
    I think I should use Word, which I have." Well if the answer is not
    obvious then Mr. Thorley will only have to worry about it for one
    semester before he fails out for being a dumbass.

  14. Re: Online Classes

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 05:53:39 -0700, cc wrote:

    > On Jul 26, 3:03*pm, Snit wrote:
    >> "cc" stated in post
    >> 1e937960-5756-4e2b-a56a-4e59e82f6...@59g2000hsb.googlegroups.com on
    >> 7/26/08 11:33 AM:

    >> > If you need tables or footnotes you can use OpenOffice then. There is
    >> > nothing in APA or MLA that requires Word.

    >> Nobody said there was anything in APA or MLA that requires Word. *But
    >> if the person looking at your work is using Word *and* you want to make
    >> sure your formatting works as flawlessly as possible then you should
    >> use Word as well. Preferably the same version. *If you do not then
    >> there is a real and significant risk of having your formatting not stay
    >> the same - and if you have to stick to strict style-guides this can
    >> adversely effect your grade.

    > Only at the ****tiest college with the ****tiest professor would this
    > happen. What layout/style guide would an OpenOffice document screw up?
    > Some business layouts for sure, but like I said if you're majoring in
    > business then you might want to use Word.
    >

    >> I am not saying it is right, good, fair, or what I would want - but the
    >> fact that at least some colleges insist on MS Word files is clearly
    >> true. *And OpenOffice (and Apple's Pages, for what it is worth), while
    >> being largely compatible are not fully.
    >>

    > All I'm saying is, although it's a fact some colleges insist on MS Word,
    > it is not a fact that this is enforced. Hell with OpenOffice they won't
    > even know the difference.
    >
    > If you have MS Word and you're the kind of person that worries about the
    > small neglible little things at the expense of having some fun in
    > college (like our original poster), then just use Word! This was a
    > stupid topic in the first place. "I'm worried about using OpenOffice, I
    > think I should use Word, which I have." Well if the answer is not
    > obvious then Mr. Thorley will only have to worry about it for one
    > semester before he fails out for being a dumbass.

    There are many times when an assignment must be in a proper format, such
    as a research paper. Formatting may be part of the grade. Translating
    between formats might alter the formatting, and lower the assignment
    grade in the process.

    I wonder many formatting problems there are going between various
    versions of Word.

    --
    Rick

  15. Re: Online Classes

    "cc" stated in post
    01c9600f-1841-4304-bd76-113d42ba6601...oglegroups.com on 7/27/08
    5:53 AM:

    > On Jul 26, 3:03*pm, Snit wrote:
    >> "cc" stated in post
    >> 1e937960-5756-4e2b-a56a-4e59e82f6...@59g2000hsb.googlegroups.com on 7/26/08
    >> 11:33 AM:

    >>> If you need tables or footnotes you can use OpenOffice then. There is
    >>> nothing in APA or MLA that requires Word.

    >> Nobody said there was anything in APA or MLA that requires Word. *But if the
    >> person looking at your work is using Word *and* you want to make sure your
    >> formatting works as flawlessly as possible then you should use Word as well.
    >> Preferably the same version. *If you do not then there is a real and
    >> significant risk of having your formatting not stay the same - and if you
    >> have to stick to strict style-guides this can adversely effect your grade.

    > Only at the ****tiest college with the ****tiest professor would this
    > happen. What layout/style guide would an OpenOffice document screw up?
    > Some business layouts for sure, but like I said if you're majoring in
    > business then you might want to use Word.

    APA and MLA and other strict style guides are not associated only with
    business. Your very premise is absurd... you simply show no understanding
    of the comments you responded to. Nobody has said you could not make such
    documents with OpenOffice... but when opened by MS Word the formatting is
    often altered.

    >> I am not saying it is right, good, fair, or what I would want - but the fact
    >> that at least some colleges insist on MS Word files is clearly true. *And
    >> OpenOffice (and Apple's Pages, for what it is worth), while being largely
    >> compatible are not fully.

    > All I'm saying is, although it's a fact some colleges insist on MS
    > Word, it is not a fact that this is enforced. Hell with OpenOffice
    > they won't even know the difference.

    Again you show no understanding: OpenOffice and Pages can both save to MS
    Word format. In *theory* the professor would not know the difference...
    which is part of the problem: they will think you as a student are the one
    who screwed up, not your technology.

    Do you think the prof in a college will always allow you to re-submit,
    possibly multiple times, until your formatting is not screwed up? If not
    then clearly using something other than what the college *requires* can hurt
    your grades.

    This is just common sense. Easy. Obvious.

    > If you have MS Word and you're the kind of person that worries about
    > the small neglible little things at the expense of having some fun in
    > college (like our original poster), then just use Word!

    I do not consider grades to be "small neglible little things"... and that is
    what is at stake here.

    > This was a stupid topic in the first place. "I'm worried about using
    > OpenOffice, I think I should use Word, which I have." Well if the answer is
    > not obvious then Mr. Thorley will only have to worry about it for one semester
    > before he fails out for being a dumbass.

    Oh no! He does not use Word on his Mac and forgot it was there. Man, since
    he did not bow to the God of Linux then he will clearly fail college.

    Wow. You are a weird one.

    --
    "Innovation is not about saying yes to everything. It's about saying NO to
    all but the most crucial features." -- Steve Jobs

  16. Re: Online Classes

    "Rick" stated in post
    srSdneI8AaYz5RHVnZ2dnUVZ_sPinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/27/08 6:31 AM:

    >> All I'm saying is, although it's a fact some colleges insist on MS Word,
    >> it is not a fact that this is enforced. Hell with OpenOffice they won't
    >> even know the difference.
    >>
    >> If you have MS Word and you're the kind of person that worries about the
    >> small neglible little things at the expense of having some fun in
    >> college (like our original poster), then just use Word! This was a
    >> stupid topic in the first place. "I'm worried about using OpenOffice, I
    >> think I should use Word, which I have." Well if the answer is not
    >> obvious then Mr. Thorley will only have to worry about it for one
    >> semester before he fails out for being a dumbass.

    > There are many times when an assignment must be in a proper format, such
    > as a research paper. Formatting may be part of the grade. Translating
    > between formats might alter the formatting, and lower the assignment
    > grade in the process.
    >
    > I wonder many formatting problems there are going between various
    > versions of Word.

    Wow... Rick is actually right. As I said before, the OP's best bet is to
    use Word 2003 on Windows... seems that is what the files will be read with.
    Barring that, though, Word 2004 on his Mac should do.

    OpenOffice would be a significant risk. As would Apple's Pages.

    --
    .... something I'm committed to work on, focusing increasing amounts of
    resources of Canonical on figuring out on how we actually move the desktop

  17. Re: Online Classes

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 08:08:07 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > Are there any colleges that require OpenOffice?
    >
    > If not, why not?

    University of Florida Online Education

    Login as guest to get to Computer Requirements.

    MS Office or Open Office - All courses require either of these suites
    of business applications. Open Office is a free alternative to the MS
    Office suite. You can get Open Office here.

    --
    Rick

  18. Re: Online Classes

    On Jul 27, 10:07*am, Snit wrote:
    > "cc" stated in post
    > 01c9600f-1841-4304-bd76-113d42ba6...@d45g2000hsc.googlegroups.com on 7/27/08
    > 5:53 AM:
    >

    > > On Jul 26, 3:03*pm, Snit wrote:
    > >> "cc" stated in post
    > >> 1e937960-5756-4e2b-a56a-4e59e82f6...@59g2000hsb.googlegroups.com on 7/26/08
    > >> 11:33 AM:

    > >> Nobody said there was anything in APA or MLA that requires Word. *But if the
    > >> person looking at your work is using Word *and* you want to make sure your
    > >> formatting works as flawlessly as possible then you should use Word aswell.
    > >> Preferably the same version. *If you do not then there is a real and
    > >> significant risk of having your formatting not stay the same - and if you
    > >> have to stick to strict style-guides this can adversely effect your grade.

    > > Only at the ****tiest college with the ****tiest professor would this
    > > happen. What layout/style guide would an OpenOffice document screw up?
    > > Some business layouts for sure, but like I said if you're majoring in
    > > business then you might want to use Word.

    > APA and MLA and other strict style guides are not associated only with
    > business. *Your very premise is absurd... you simply show no understanding
    > of the comments you responded to. *Nobody has said you could not make such
    > documents with OpenOffice... but when opened by MS Word the formatting is
    > often altered.

    You misunderstand me. OpenOffice has some problems with spreadsheets,
    certain tables, macros, etc. These are mainly used in a business
    setting. There is no part of APA or MLA that when saved in OpenOffice,
    will be screwed up by MS Word formatting. If you have a counterexample
    please provide it.

    > >> I am not saying it is right, good, fair, or what I would want - but the fact
    > >> that at least some colleges insist on MS Word files is clearly true. *And
    > >> OpenOffice (and Apple's Pages, for what it is worth), while being largely
    > >> compatible are not fully.

    > > All I'm saying is, although it's a fact some colleges insist on MS
    > > Word, it is not a fact that this is enforced. Hell with OpenOffice
    > > they won't even know the difference.

    > Again you show no understanding: OpenOffice and Pages can both save to MS
    > Word format. *In *theory* the professor would not know the difference....
    > which is part of the problem: they will think you as a student are the one
    > who screwed up, not your technology.
    >
    > Do you think the prof in a college will always allow you to re-submit,
    > possibly multiple times, until your formatting is not screwed up? *If not
    > then clearly using something other than what the college *requires* can hurt
    > your grades.

    Re-submit, yes. Multiple re-submits, no. If you are told after the
    first time to make sure it never happens again, and you continue to do
    it, then you're an idiot.

    > This is just common sense. *Easy. *Obvious.
    >
    > > If you have MS Word and you're the kind of person that worries about
    > > the small neglible little things at the expense of having some fun in
    > > college (like our original poster), then just use Word!

    > I do not consider grades to be "small neglible little things"... and thatis
    > what is at stake here.

    Grades are not at stake here. There is not one person on this planet
    who submitted a paper using OpenOffice once and as a result failed.
    But like I said, if you're the worrying kind, then just use Word. That
    is just common sense. Easy. Obvious.

    > > This was a stupid topic in the first place. "I'm worried about using
    > > OpenOffice, I think I should use Word, which I have." Well if the answer is
    > > not obvious then Mr. Thorley will only have to worry about it for one semester
    > > before he fails out for being a dumbass.

    > Oh no! *He does not use Word on his Mac and forgot it was there. *Man, since
    > he did not bow to the God of Linux then he will clearly fail college.
    >
    > Wow. *You are a weird one.

    Bowing to the God of Linux? He knew he had a Mac. He knew he had Word.
    He thought he might be in trouble if he used OpenOffice. Any
    graduating high school senior should see the obvious solution, which
    has nothing to do with God or Linux. Just use Word on your Mac! This
    is just common sense. Easy. Obvious.

  19. Re: Online Classes

    On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 21:23:17 +0000, Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > On 2008-07-25, Patrick Thorley wrote:
    >> "Gregory Shearman" stated in post
    >> slrng8kk9n.8qn.ZekeGregory@netscape.net on 7/25/08 3:18 PM:

    >>> Hmmmm... I didn't know that... thanks. The reason I don't know it is
    >>> that I don't use Windows and assumed that the Microsoft product was for
    >>> a Windows machine. A reasonable assumption but unfortunately wrong.
    >>>
    >>> Looks like the poster is using a Mac then... rather than Ubuntu...
    >>>
    >>> Doesn't sound fair dinkum to me, especially the lack of detail and the
    >>> fact that the poster is asking advice in an advocacy group.

    >> I asked for help and got some good answers and a bunch of trolling from
    >> ignorant boobs.
    >>

    > I'm sure you did. 8-)

    Yes, I can imagine it too!

    Trolls like DFS: "slopware", Quack: "OpenOffice crashes on the hour, every
    hour" etc..

    --
    Is a M$ "Certificate of Authenticity"
    for Vista, a junk bond?

  20. Re: Online Classes

    William Poaster wrote:

    > Yes, I can imagine it too!
    >
    > Trolls like DFS: "slopware", Quack: "OpenOffice crashes on the hour, every
    > hour" etc..

    There's no reason why you wouldn't be able to get the correct formatting and
    file format using Open Office. I'm wondering if this whole thread is just
    more trolling. I've used Open Office whenever I've been asked to submit
    something in Word format. I've used it for Excel spreadsheets. Unless they
    have specific Word macros in the class (is it a Word class?) then there is
    no reason Open Office couldn't be used. I'm guessing the requirement is
    Word format, not Word.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"