Online Classes - Linux

This is a discussion on Online Classes - Linux ; On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:39:16 -0500, Rick wrote: >> I like the PDF idea because it's not easily changed. >> >> >> >> -Thufir > > .. unless you have Acrobat Ah, well, how many do? Plus, the PDF ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 298

  1. Re: Online Classes

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:39:16 -0500, Rick wrote:

    >> I like the PDF idea because it's not easily changed.
    >>

    >> -Thufir

    > .. unless you have Acrobat

    Ah, well, how many do? Plus, the PDF is designed for printing. More
    documents should be PDF!

    -Thufir

  2. Re: Online Classes

    "thufir" stated in post
    KMeik.133283$gc5.53662@pd7urf2no on 7/24/08 11:54 PM:

    > On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:29:54 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >

    >> Ah, if he does not share personal info he is not "normal".

    > Specifying a university would only qualify as personal information in
    > your world, Snit.

    It would indicate personal data... and look at how the knowledge of my
    personal data has allowed cretins in COLA to target my personal and business
    life simply because they lost Usenet debates.

    I can see the wisdom in not revealing *any* personal data in such an
    environment. Heck, who knows - based on his IP they might be able to track
    him down and then contact the school and spread lies about him because he
    did not opt to use OpenOffice on Linux.

    --
    "Innovation is not about saying yes to everything. It's about saying NO to
    all but the most crucial features." -- Steve Jobs

  3. Re: Online Classes

    "thufir" stated in post
    sOeik.29211$nD.8219@pd7urf1no on 7/24/08 11:56 PM:

    > On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:39:16 -0500, Rick wrote:
    >
    >>> I like the PDF idea because it's not easily changed.
    >>>

    >>> -Thufir

    >> .. unless you have Acrobat

    > Ah, well, how many do? Plus, the PDF is designed for printing. More
    > documents should be PDF!

    The school might not want PDF so that there can be easier collaboration
    other such features that are likely to be used in the business world. Just
    a guess.

    --
    Do you ever wake up in a cold sweat wondering what the world would be
    like if the Lamarckian view of evolution had ended up being accepted

  4. Re: Online Classes

    "thufir" stated in post
    pNeik.29201$nD.14336@pd7urf1no on 7/24/08 11:55 PM:

    > On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:11:17 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> No matter the *reason* for the requirements they clearly *do* exist for
    >> at least some schools:
    >>
    >> <http://www.kaplan.edu/ku/learningku/techreq.aspx?

    > School=Art&MainTab=Learnin
    >> g&loc=0&SubNav=2>

    > That some school would have such a requirement is a mark against it.

    If it is a business school it would not. As a tech school - perhaps. Not a
    big deal if they make the software available at a very reasonable price.

    --
    If A = B and B = C, then A = C, except where void or prohibited by law.
    Roy Santoro, Psycho Proverb Zone (http://snipurl.com/BurdenOfProof)

  5. Re: Online Classes

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    >EDIT? What about EDLIN? Much better editor (FSVO).
    >
    >:-)

    edlin? Eww... I'd rather edit using a stone slab and a chisel.

  6. Re: Online Classes

    On Jul 24, 1:18*am, Patrick Thorley wrote:
    > "Tim Smith" stated in post
    > reply_in_group-955C2B.22083723072...@news.supernews.com on 7/23/08 10:08 PM:
    >

    > > In article ,
    > > *Patrick Thorley wrote:
    > >> I will soon be taking online classes from a University. *They require MS
    > >> Word but I have been using Ubuntu for a while and cannot find a version of
    > >> MS Word for it. *Does it exist? *They are very clear that MS Word 2003 or
    > >> newer is required. *Will OpenOffice or some other hack work or will the
    > >> instructors know and will that risk my success. I really just want to focus
    > >> on my work. *Also, will I be able to use Ubuntu to use all of their online
    > >> material?

    > > OpenOffice will be fine. *Don't worry about it. *Its compatibility is
    > > good. *Furthermore, you are helped by the direction you'll be going--you
    > > will be *writing* files for your instructors to read. *If you don't go
    > > crazy and use obscure weird features of OO (or whatever other non-Word
    > > word processor you might use), they should have no trouble opening the
    > > files.

    > So it is good enough to gamble my college degree on in your view. *No
    > thanks. *I want to be sure technology quirks will not prevent me from
    > getting a degree.

    Technology quirks will not prevent you from getting a degree, unless
    you're going to a ****ty University. Whether or not you get a degree
    from a place like that then, is irrelevant. I too have had classes
    where the requirement was MS Word. I too elected to use a different
    word processor. I graduated. You'll have more important things to
    worry about when you start, and alot more fun to have. Just take Tim's
    advice and use OpenOffice.

  7. Re: Online Classes

    * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> What he needs is DOS 3.3 and EDIT.EXE.

    > EDIT? What about EDLIN? Much better editor (FSVO).

    Don't laugh. I worked at a place where they used only edlin... to edit
    large MASM source code files, some of which reached a megabyte in size.

    To get to where you wanted, you had to type the *WAS
    (write-append-search) repeatedly. The leader of the group claimed they
    used edlin because they found no other editor that could properly handle
    large files.

    When I showed them MKS's vi, the guy said it was too slow to load the
    files, even though I pointed out to him that you can then navigate to
    anywhere in the file very quickly.

    My boss convinced them to let me use VEDIT, which was decent, although I
    had to work around a bug that would result in the contents of the file
    being reversed.

    It was a strange place.

    --
    Bride, n.:
    A woman with a fine prospect of happiness behind her.

  8. Re: Online Classes

    * chrisv peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >>EDIT? What about EDLIN? Much better editor (FSVO).

    > edlin? Eww... I'd rather edit using a stone slab and a chisel.

    Actually, edlin is reminiscent of ex. I use ex in scripts to generate
    initial versions of project files. Here's an example:

    if [ ! -f ABOUT-NLS ] ; then
    ex ABOUT-NLS << E_O_F
    Exact content yet to be determined.
    This project supports internationalization.
    ..
    E_O_F
    fi

    --
    Fraud is the homage that force pays to reason.
    -- Charles Curtis, "A Commonplace Book"

  9. Re: Online Classes

    * thufir peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:39:16 -0500, Rick wrote:
    >
    >>> I like the PDF idea because it's not easily changed.
    >>>
    >>> -Thufir

    >> .. unless you have Acrobat

    Or python, or ruby, or pdftk....

    > Ah, well, how many do? Plus, the PDF is designed for printing. More
    > documents should be PDF!

    Doxygen and latex will let you generate great-looking PDFs with a
    hyperlinked table of contents.

    Compared to trying to edit a ****ing MS Word document, generating a
    500-page detailed design document with doxyen+graphviz+latex is a
    breeeeeeeeeze.

    It's schweeeeeeeeet! You get to use your favorite text editor instead
    of Word's annoying clumso-rama interface.

    --
    You can't hold a man down without staying down with him.
    -- Booker T. Washington

  10. Re: Online Classes

    Linonut writes:

    > * The Ghost In The Machine peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >>> What he needs is DOS 3.3 and EDIT.EXE.

    >> EDIT? What about EDLIN? Much better editor (FSVO).

    > Don't laugh. I worked at a place where they used only edlin... to edit
    > large MASM source code files, some of which reached a megabyte in size.
    >
    > To get to where you wanted, you had to type the *WAS
    > (write-append-search) repeatedly. The leader of the group claimed they
    > used edlin because they found no other editor that could properly handle
    > large files.
    >
    > When I showed them MKS's vi, the guy said it was too slow to load the
    > files, even though I pointed out to him that you can then navigate to
    > anywhere in the file very quickly.
    >
    > My boss convinced them to let me use VEDIT, which was decent, although I
    > had to work around a bug that would result in the contents of the file
    > being reversed.
    >
    > It was a strange place.

    It sounds like they hired idiots. How long have you been there?

  11. Re: Online Classes

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:42:55 -0400
    :
    > * chrisv peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>
    >>>EDIT? What about EDLIN? Much better editor (FSVO).

    >> edlin? Eww... I'd rather edit using a stone slab and a chisel.

    > Actually, edlin is reminiscent of ex.

    I suppose...though if it doesn't support redirection, I
    wonder how well it'll work for sed-type applications.

    > I use ex in scripts to generate
    > initial versions of project files. Here's an example:
    >
    > if [ ! -f ABOUT-NLS ] ; then
    > ex ABOUT-NLS << E_O_F
    > Exact content yet to be determined.
    > This project supports internationalization.
    > .
    > E_O_F
    > fi

    Indeed. Unix tools are small but fit together well. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #11823822:
    signal(SIGKILL, catchkill);

  12. Re: Online Classes

    "cc" stated in post
    c642d368-16a1-4aad-9639-dc1ab91a5b64...oglegroups.com on 7/25/08
    5:57 AM:

    > On Jul 24, 1:18*am, Patrick Thorley wrote:
    >> "Tim Smith" stated in post
    >> reply_in_group-955C2B.22083723072...@news.supernews.com on 7/23/08 10:08 PM:

    >>> OpenOffice will be fine. *Don't worry about it. *Its compatibility is
    >>> good. *Furthermore, you are helped by the direction you'll be going--you
    >>> will be *writing* files for your instructors to read. *If you don't go
    >>> crazy and use obscure weird features of OO (or whatever other non-Word
    >>> word processor you might use), they should have no trouble opening the
    >>> files.

    >> So it is good enough to gamble my college degree on in your view. *No
    >> thanks. *I want to be sure technology quirks will not prevent me from
    >> getting a degree.

    > Technology quirks will not prevent you from getting a degree, unless
    > you're going to a ****ty University. Whether or not you get a degree
    > from a place like that then, is irrelevant. I too have had classes
    > where the requirement was MS Word. I too elected to use a different
    > word processor. I graduated. You'll have more important things to
    > worry about when you start, and alot more fun to have. Just take Tim's
    > advice and use OpenOffice.

    And then with any even moderately complex document, such as one where you
    have to follow strict APA or MLA styles, you run the risk of having your
    instructor see them differently and thus hurting your grade - that is unless
    you also have a copy of Word to test the files with.

    Since Patrick has a copy of MS Word I suggest he uses that. Makes the most
    sense.

    --
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
    conscientious stupidity. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

  13. Re: Online Classes

    On 2008-07-25, Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >> > Should I just move back to Windows? I got tired of the viruses on Windows
    >> > but I knew then that whatever I wanted to do my computer would do what I
    >> > need. Now, well, it seems a gamble. I want to stick with Ubuntu if I can.
    >> > Any ideas?
    >> >

    >> Using Ubuntu are you?

    >> Looks like you already moved back to windows... or you are a troll of
    >> course.

    > I'm curious why you take his user agent showing a program that is not
    > available for Windows as evidence he is running Windows--that seems kind
    > of counter intuitive. I'd take it as evidence he's running a Mac, since
    > Entourage is only available for Mac. I suppose he could be running some
    > kind of Mac emulator under Windows, but that seems rather unlikely.

    Hmmmm... I didn't know that... thanks. The reason I don't know it is
    that I don't use Windows and assumed that the Microsoft product was for
    a Windows machine. A reasonable assumption but unfortunately wrong.

    Looks like the poster is using a Mac then... rather than Ubuntu...

    Doesn't sound fair dinkum to me, especially the lack of detail and the
    fact that the poster is asking advice in an advocacy group.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  14. Re: Online Classes

    "Gregory Shearman" stated in post
    slrng8kk9n.8qn.ZekeGregory@netscape.net on 7/25/08 3:18 PM:

    > On 2008-07-25, Tim Smith wrote:
    >>>>

    >>> Using Ubuntu are you?
    >>>
    >>> =============================================
    >>>
    >>> Looks like you already moved back to windows... or you are a troll of
    >>> course.

    >> I'm curious why you take his user agent showing a program that is not
    >> available for Windows as evidence he is running Windows--that seems kind
    >> of counter intuitive. I'd take it as evidence he's running a Mac, since
    >> Entourage is only available for Mac. I suppose he could be running some
    >> kind of Mac emulator under Windows, but that seems rather unlikely.

    > Hmmmm... I didn't know that... thanks. The reason I don't know it is
    > that I don't use Windows and assumed that the Microsoft product was for
    > a Windows machine. A reasonable assumption but unfortunately wrong.
    >
    > Looks like the poster is using a Mac then... rather than Ubuntu...
    >
    > Doesn't sound fair dinkum to me, especially the lack of detail and the
    > fact that the poster is asking advice in an advocacy group.

    I asked for help and got some good answers and a bunch of trolling from
    ignorant boobs.

  15. Re: Online Classes

    Patrick Thorley wrote:

    > Should I just move back to Windows? *I got tired of the viruses on Windows
    > but I knew then that whatever I wanted to do my computer would do what I
    > need. *Now, well, it seems a gamble. *I want to stick with Ubuntu if I
    > can. Any ideas?

    If you've got over 756 Meg of memory, don't move back Windows. Just get
    VirtualBox and run Windows *under* Linux. That's what I do when I need
    Windows programs I can't replace with Linux. That way you retain your Linux
    security (and lack of viruses and malware) and you keep the Windows crap
    running in its own little self-contained world where it can't do any harm.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  16. Re: Online Classes

    "RonB" stated in post
    Fquik.1598$Bt6.989@newsfe04.iad on 7/25/08 5:43 PM:

    > Patrick Thorley wrote:
    >
    >> Should I just move back to Windows? *I got tired of the viruses on Windows
    >> but I knew then that whatever I wanted to do my computer would do what I
    >> need. *Now, well, it seems a gamble. *I want to stick with Ubuntu if I
    >> can. Any ideas?

    > If you've got over 756 Meg of memory, don't move back Windows. Just get
    > VirtualBox and run Windows *under* Linux. That's what I do when I need
    > Windows programs I can't replace with Linux. That way you retain your Linux
    > security (and lack of viruses and malware) and you keep the Windows crap
    > running in its own little self-contained world where it can't do any harm.

    Pretty much what I do - though I use OS X as my "host" environment and run
    both Windows and Linux in virtual machines.

    --
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
    --Albert Einstein

  17. Re: Online Classes

    Verily I say unto thee, that Patrick Thorley spake thusly:

    > I will soon be taking online classes from a University. They require
    > MS Word

    They "require" that your WP be made by one particular vendor?

    Interesting.

    > but I have been using Ubuntu for a while and cannot find a version of
    > MS Word for it.

    Sniff, sniff.

    > Will OpenOffice or some other hack

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Sniff, sniff, sniff.

    > Should I just move back to Windows?

    > Any ideas?

    Here's one:

    *PLONK*

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | GPL: You can't scare me with this Gestapo crap.
    | I know my rights.
    | I want my phone call.
    | DRM: Tell me, what good is a phone call ...
    | if you're unable to speak?
    `----

    03:18:06 up 217 days, 23:53, 4 users, load average: 0.49, 0.62, 0.43

  18. Re: Online Classes

    Homer wrote:

    > They "require" that your WP be made by one particular vendor?
    >
    > Interesting.

    They probably require that his assignments be in Word format. Just use
    OpenOffice.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  19. Re: Online Classes

    "Homer" stated in post s4eql5-81f.ln1@sky.matrix on
    7/25/08 7:18 PM:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Patrick Thorley spake thusly:
    >
    >> I will soon be taking online classes from a University. They require
    >> MS Word

    > They "require" that your WP be made by one particular vendor?
    >
    > Interesting.

    But not uncommon.

    --
    But if you are somebody who is not too concerned about price, who is not too
    concerned about freedom, I don't think we can say the Linux desktop offers

  20. Re: Online Classes

    "RonB" stated in post
    i6wik.4059$LF2.2536@newsfe09.iad on 7/25/08 7:38 PM:

    > Homer wrote:
    >
    >> They "require" that your WP be made by one particular vendor?
    >>
    >> Interesting.

    > They probably require that his assignments be in Word format. Just use
    > OpenOffice.

    This has been discussed: then you need to have a copy of MS Word (or the
    reader) to verify that the document looks correct on Word. That is a
    hassle, no matter how you slice it!

    --
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
    nothing. - Unknown