Online Classes - Linux

This is a discussion on Online Classes - Linux ; "Patrick Thorley" stated in post C4AD36CA.CAC55%Thorley67@hotmal.com on 7/23/08 7:28 PM: > "Linonut" stated in post > CZQhk.5606$US3.335@bignews2.bellsouth.net on 7/23/08 6:36 PM: > >> * Patrick Thorley peremptorily fired off this memo: >> >>> I will soon be taking online classes ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 298

  1. Re: Online Classes

    "Patrick Thorley" stated in post
    C4AD36CA.CAC55%Thorley67@hotmal.com on 7/23/08 7:28 PM:

    > "Linonut" stated in post
    > CZQhk.5606$US3.335@bignews2.bellsouth.net on 7/23/08 6:36 PM:
    >
    >> * Patrick Thorley peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> I will soon be taking online classes from a University. They require MS
    >>> Word but I have been using Ubuntu for a while and cannot find a version of
    >>> MS Word for it. Does it exist? They are very clear that MS Word 2003 or
    >>> newer is required. Will OpenOffice or some other hack work or will the
    >>> instructors know and will that risk my success. I really just want to focus
    >>> on my work. Also, will I be able to use Ubuntu to use all of their online
    >>> material?

    >> Ask them. They're responsible for their requirements. If you really
    >> need that particular outfit to get your online credits, then ask them
    >> how they handle it when a person cannot afford to purchase a copy of
    >> Word.
    >>
    >> Seems pretty suspect to me. The IEEE online courses, for example, use
    >> standard technology supported in Linux browsers.

    > Suspect? In what way? Do you deny that Universities have such
    > requirements?

    Some clearly do:

    <http://www.kaplan.edu/ku/learningku/...ainTab=Learnin
    g&loc=0&SubNav=2>
    -----
    Microsoft Word is required to submit all assignments. In
    addition, some classes require the use of Excel, PowerPoint,
    and Access. Students are responsible for ensuring that they
    have the software required and should not enroll in courses
    for which they do not have the necessary software.

    If you have problems viewing pages on KU Campus using
    Firefox, click here for instructions to add an Internet
    Explorer tab to your browser.
    -----

    By the way, the IE tab only works if you have IE... and thus are on a
    Windows machine.

    --
    One who makes no mistakes, never makes anything.

  2. Re: Online Classes

    "JEDIDIAH" stated in post
    slrng8frtq.9fn.jedi@nomad.mishnet on 7/23/08 7:58 PM:

    > On 2008-07-24, Patrick Thorley wrote:
    >> "Linonut" stated in post
    >> CZQhk.5606$US3.335@bignews2.bellsouth.net on 7/23/08 6:36 PM:
    >>
    >>> * Patrick Thorley peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Ask them. They're responsible for their requirements. If you really
    >>> need that particular outfit to get your online credits, then ask them
    >>> how they handle it when a person cannot afford to purchase a copy of
    >>> Word.
    >>>
    >>> Seems pretty suspect to me. The IEEE online courses, for example, use
    >>> standard technology supported in Linux browsers.

    >> Suspect? In what way? Do you deny that Universities have such
    >> requirements?

    > ...complete lack of technical reasons?
    >

    > ...pretty much impossible to enforce or validate?
    >

    > You've given us absoultely no reason to believe that this alleged
    > requirement exists anywhere outside of a petty beaurocrats mind.

    No matter the *reason* for the requirements they clearly *do* exist for at
    least some schools:

    <http://www.kaplan.edu/ku/learningku/...ainTab=Learnin
    g&loc=0&SubNav=2>
    -----
    Microsoft Word is required to submit all assignments. In
    addition, some classes require the use of Excel, PowerPoint,
    and Access. Students are responsible for ensuring that they
    have the software required and should not enroll in courses
    for which they do not have the necessary software.

    If you have problems viewing pages on KU Campus using
    Firefox, click here for instructions to add an Internet
    Explorer tab to your browser.
    -----

    By the way, the IE tab only works if you have IE... and thus are on a
    Windows machine.

    --
    Dear Aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all

  3. Re: Online Classes

    "Patrick Thorley" stated in post
    C4AD5ECD.CACF8%Thorley67@hotmal.com on 7/23/08 10:18 PM:

    > "Tim Smith" stated in post
    > reply_in_group-955C2B.22083723072008@news.supernews.com on 7/23/08 10:08 PM:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> Patrick Thorley wrote:
    >>> I will soon be taking online classes from a University. They require MS
    >>> Word but I have been using Ubuntu for a while and cannot find a version of
    >>> MS Word for it. Does it exist? They are very clear that MS Word 2003 or
    >>> newer is required. Will OpenOffice or some other hack work or will the
    >>> instructors know and will that risk my success. I really just want to focus
    >>> on my work. Also, will I be able to use Ubuntu to use all of their online
    >>> material?

    >> OpenOffice will be fine. Don't worry about it. Its compatibility is
    >> good. Furthermore, you are helped by the direction you'll be going--you
    >> will be *writing* files for your instructors to read. If you don't go
    >> crazy and use obscure weird features of OO (or whatever other non-Word
    >> word processor you might use), they should have no trouble opening the
    >> files.

    > So it is good enough to gamble my college degree on in your view. No
    > thanks. I want to be sure technology quirks will not prevent me from
    > getting a degree.
    >
    >> If things were going the other way--the instructors were going to be
    >> giving you files to open, then you might have a little to worry about,
    >> as the instructors might use weird obscure Word features that OO might
    >> have trouble importing. (On the other hand, even if that were the case,
    >> the documents would probably be legible--just badly formatted for you.
    >> You could still get the information from them).

    > The files, I am sure, will be going both ways. What if I am given a file to
    > modify? And why risk struggling to read something if I do not have to. I
    > can see where OpenOffice could be used as a last resort but by choice? No
    > thanks. It simply is not worth the risk.

    Be aware that the "obscure" features include things as commonplace as
    *tables*. I used to use MS Word to write my syllabi (I teach at a college)
    and when testing to see how OpenOffice worked with the files it completely
    mangled them. The files my students received were in PDF format so they did
    not need MS Word. Unless I am teaching a class on MS technologies I do no
    require them... or any other proprietary format. The exception to this is I
    do have videos which are best viewed if you have QuickTime, but you can get
    that for OS X or Windows. Linux is rarely a concern for my students - the
    videos are mostly for intro classes on Windows, or software that does not
    run on Linux (at least in a supported way).

    >> Note also that it is safe to try. If, for some reason, your instructor
    >> can't open your first couple of files, it is unlikely they will do
    >> anything other than tell you there is some problem, and ask you to try
    >> again. There are so many ways someone can mess up saving a file and
    >> turning it in, that I'm sure they see failures all the time, even with
    >> people using exactly the software they recommend, so they aren't going
    >> to raise an eyebrow. Worst case, if you find out that you can't make it
    >> work, you arrange to run Windows somewhere (dual boot, virtual machine
    >> (see below)) and go get a copy of Word.

    > So use Ubuntu with the idea I will likely need to go to Windows or the Mac
    > anyway? Why? I want to focus on my education and not on the technology.

    Makes sense.

    >> If you do end up having to get Word, you want to wait until you are
    >> actually enrolled, so you can get a good deal (most schools have
    >> software available at great prices).

    > That is an excellent idea. I think they do have discounts. I have an older
    > copy for my Mac but I might want to get it for Windows and reinstall that.
    > I am sure XP should work fine.
    >
    >>> Should I just move back to Windows? I got tired of the viruses on Windows
    >>> but I knew then that whatever I wanted to do my computer would do what I
    >>> need. Now, well, it seems a gamble. I want to stick with Ubuntu if I can.
    >>> Any ideas?

    >> I'm inferring from this that you still have a Windows license? What I
    >> would do is get some kind of virtual machine software, and have a copy
    >> of Windows installed in a virtual machine on the Ubuntu box. Then, if
    >> you do encounter anything that either doesn't work, or that will take
    >> too much effort to get working, you can start your virtual Windows and
    >> use that. As long as you aren't doing serious gaming, virtual machine
    >> performance is excellent.

    > I tried that for a while but ran into networking problems. I do not know if
    > it was Windows or the software on Ubuntu (I forget what it was called).
    > Decided doing it that way added a ring of complexity I did not want to
    > hassle with. Maybe for a person who is really into computers this is fine.
    > I am not against people doing what they want and do not want to come across
    > as being against Ubuntu.

    I had a similar problem with Windows running on virtualization on my Mac.
    Turned out it was very easy to fix - just have Windows "fix" its connection.
    But before I tried that I did quit the virtualization software and check to
    see if all of its supporting programs were running, etc. It did complicate
    the troubleshooting. For a non-techie it could potentially have taken quite
    some time to get to the right answer. Not a huge deal - but it is a risk.

    --
    Picture of a tuna soda: http://snipurl.com/f351
    Feel free to ask for the recipe.

  4. Re: Online Classes

    "Andrew Halliwell" stated in post
    ao2ml5-nro.ln1@ponder.sky.com on 7/24/08 3:39 AM:

    > Patrick Thorley wrote:
    >> So it is good enough to gamble my college degree on in your view. No
    >> thanks. I want to be sure technology quirks will not prevent me from
    >> getting a degree.

    > You really think college degrees are THAT fragile?

    I think the idea is that once the classes get started he wants to focus on
    the material at hand and fighting the tech as little as possible.

    Frankly that makes sense.

    --
    "In order to discover who you are, first learn who everybody else is. You're
    what's left." - Skip Hansen

  5. Re: Online Classes

    "Linonut" stated in post
    qSZhk.6985$w93.1285@bignews4.bellsouth.net on 7/24/08 4:41 AM:

    > * Patrick Thorley peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> "Linonut" stated in post
    >> CZQhk.5606$US3.335@bignews2.bellsouth.net on 7/23/08 6:36 PM:
    >>
    >>> * Patrick Thorley peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Ask them. They're responsible for their requirements. If you really
    >>> need that particular outfit to get your online credits, then ask them
    >>> how they handle it when a person cannot afford to purchase a copy of
    >>> Word.
    >>>
    >>> Seems pretty suspect to me. The IEEE online courses, for example, use
    >>> standard technology supported in Linux browsers.

    >> Suspect? In what way? Do you deny that Universities have such
    >> requirements?

    > Not for /online/ courses, I would bet.

    You would lose that bet:

    <http://www.kaplan.edu/ku/learningku/...ainTab=Learnin
    g&loc=0&SubNav=2>
    -----
    Microsoft Word is required to submit all assignments. In
    addition, some classes require the use of Excel, PowerPoint,
    and Access. Students are responsible for ensuring that they
    have the software required and should not enroll in courses
    for which they do not have the necessary software.

    If you have problems viewing pages on KU Campus using
    Firefox, click here for instructions to add an Internet
    Explorer tab to your browser.
    -----

    By the way, the IE tab only works if you have IE... and thus are on a
    Windows machine.

    By the way - that took mere minutes of searching.

    > Here's one example:
    >
    > http://www.waol.org/getStarted/requirements.asp
    >
    > The closest thing to a Word requirement is a PowerPoint viewer.
    > OpenOffice Impress will work very well for that.
    >
    > Ironically:
    >
    > PC Users, Blackboard recommends
    >
    > · Windows Vista - Mozilla FireFox 2.0 (**IE 7 is not recommended at
    > this time**)
    >
    > The biggest requirement they have is this:
    >
    > Before you take an online class, you should be confident about your
    > computer and study skills.
    >
    > Face it. You blew the troll.
    >
    > If you really do want help, post the name and URL of the course, and
    > we'll see what we can do.

    Now you are calling him a troll for wanting to know the best way to take an
    online class? Not very reasonable of you.

    --
    Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.
    --Albert Einstein

  6. Re: Online Classes

    "Linonut" stated in post
    s3_hk.6992$w93.4797@bignews4.bellsouth.net on 7/24/08 4:54 AM:

    > * Patrick Thorley peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> "JEDIDIAH" stated in post
    >> slrng8frtq.9fn.jedi@nomad.mishnet on 7/23/08 7:58 PM:
    >>>
    >>> You've given us absoultely no reason to believe that this alleged
    >>> requirement exists anywhere outside of a petty beaurocrats mind.

    >> No reason to believe? Am I supposed to now convince you that the college I
    >> am going to be taking classes from has the requirements they claim? Your
    >> response is useless. Clearly you have no good answer. Fine with me but not
    >> do not play your games. I did not come here for a religious war.

    > They do follow the script, don't they?

    The Linux "advocates" sure do.

    --
    Never stand between a dog and the hydrant. - John Peers

  7. Re: Online Classes

    "Linonut" stated in post
    y6_hk.6994$w93.4531@bignews4.bellsouth.net on 7/24/08 4:58 AM:

    > * Patrick Thorley peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> So it is good enough to gamble my college degree on in your view. No
    >> thanks. I want to be sure technology quirks will not prevent me from
    >> getting a degree.

    Do you want someone to struggle with the technology as they try to get an
    education.

    >> The files, I am sure, will be going both ways. What if I am given a file to
    >> modify? And why risk struggling to read something if I do not have to. I
    >> can see where OpenOffice could be used as a last resort but by choice? No
    >> thanks. It simply is not worth the risk.

    What makes you think he knew that before he was told by folks in COLA?

    >> So use Ubuntu with the idea I will likely need to go to Windows or the Mac
    >> anyway? Why? I want to focus on my education and not on the technology.

    You show no understanding of what a straw man is.

    >> I tried that for a while but ran into networking problems. I do not know if
    >> it was Windows or the software on Ubuntu (I forget what it was called).
    >> Decided doing it that way added a ring of complexity I did not want to
    >> hassle with. Maybe for a person who is really into computers this is fine.
    >> I am not against people doing what they want and do not want to come across
    >> as being against Ubuntu.

    Disclaimer? Sounds like someone trying to placate the whiners of COLA.

    --
    God made me an atheist - who are you to question his authority?

  8. Re: Online Classes

    "chrisv" stated in post
    emtg849k0mauorc059q96u192dd42cujle@4ax.com on 7/24/08 5:35 AM:

    > Patrick Thorley wrote:
    >
    >>> OpenOffice will be fine. Don't worry about it. Its compatibility is
    >>> good. Furthermore, you are helped by the direction you'll be going--you
    >>> will be *writing* files for your instructors to read. If you don't go
    >>> crazy and use obscure weird features of OO (or whatever other non-Word
    >>> word processor you might use), they should have no trouble opening the
    >>> files.

    >> So it is good enough to gamble my college degree on in your view. No
    >> thanks. I want to be sure technology quirks will not prevent me from
    >> getting a degree.

    > Fine. Don't take the (extremely minor) "risk". Not everyone is not
    > as chicken**** as you are, though.

    Sounds like he wants to minimize his risk of fighting technology so he can
    focus on his education.

    Such a crime, eh? LOL!

    --
    Never stand between a dog and the hydrant. - John Peers

  9. Re: Online Classes

    "thufir" stated in post
    yA0ik.130358$gc5.69873@pd7urf2no on 7/24/08 7:45 AM:

    > On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 21:55:01 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >
    >> What part of...
    >>
    >> THE IDIOTS MAKING THE RULES CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE
    >>
    >> did you not get?
    >>
    >> Don't be such a MORON. You're supposed to be in University.

    > When it's "a University", then he's not really at a specific University.
    > Who knows, maybe he'll post a link like any normal person would.

    Ah, if he does not share personal info he is not "normal".

    So post your personal info. What is your real name. Where do you live?
    Where do you work or go to school.

    But you will not post such things. You are merely trolling.

    For the record, Patrick, I suggest you do *not* post personal info to COLA -
    folks in COLA have tracked me down to my home city and to my own small
    business... not hard to do. When they feel over their head or are just
    trying to get me to not disagree with them they post derogatory comments and
    outright lies and try to associate such BS with my business by posting its
    name (and my real name). They do this to pull people looking for me or my
    business to *their* posts. Such targeting of my personal and business life
    would be beyond belief if the folks in COLA were mature and reasonable...
    but those that act in such ways *clearly* are not.

    Also pointing to the college you go to is not needed... I have already
    proved that at least one college has requirements similar to what you talked
    about. There simply is no reason to doubt you.

    <http://www.kaplan.edu/ku/learningku/...ainTab=Learnin
    g&loc=0&SubNav=2>
    -----
    Microsoft Word is required to submit all assignments. In
    addition, some classes require the use of Excel, PowerPoint,
    and Access. Students are responsible for ensuring that they
    have the software required and should not enroll in courses
    for which they do not have the necessary software.

    If you have problems viewing pages on KU Campus using
    Firefox, click here for instructions to add an Internet
    Explorer tab to your browser.
    -----

    By the way, the IE tab only works if you have IE... and thus are on a
    Windows machine.

    --
    I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please
    everyone. -- Bill Cosby

  10. Re: Online Classes

    "thufir" stated in post
    wD0ik.90892$kx.15436@pd7urf3no on 7/24/08 7:49 AM:

    > On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 19:28:15 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >

    >> A more general, surer method, is to use PDF, XHTML, XML+XSL, or ODF.
    >> There are several issues with each format.

    > I like the PDF idea because it's not easily changed.

    Not up to the student:

    <http://www.kaplan.edu/ku/learningku/...ainTab=Learnin
    g&loc=0&SubNav=2>
    -----
    Microsoft Word is required to submit all assignments. In
    addition, some classes require the use of Excel, PowerPoint,
    and Access. Students are responsible for ensuring that they
    have the software required and should not enroll in courses
    for which they do not have the necessary software.

    If you have problems viewing pages on KU Campus using
    Firefox, click here for instructions to add an Internet
    Explorer tab to your browser.
    -----

    By the way, the IE tab only works if you have IE... and thus are on a
    Windows machine.

    --
    Picture of a tuna milkshake: http://snipurl.com/f34z
    Feel free to ask for the recipe.

  11. Re: Online Classes

    "Sinister Midget" stated in post
    2csml5-3b5.ln1@home2.harry.net on 7/24/08 10:56 AM:

    > On 2008-07-24, Andrew Halliwell claimed:
    >> Patrick Thorley wrote:

    >>> No offense but I have no clue what you are talking about.

    >> I hope this isn't a computer related degree you're entering...

    > Sounds more like social work. Not as a provider, but as a recipient.
    > Maybe working with autistic adults, or /as/ an autistic adult.
    >
    > Or a troll. Nah. We don't get any of those here.

    Any reason to doubt his comments as being sincere?

    --
    "The music is not inside the piano." - Alan Kay

  12. Re: Online Classes

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Snit

    wrote
    on Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:30:11 -0700
    :
    > "thufir" stated in post
    > wD0ik.90892$kx.15436@pd7urf3no on 7/24/08 7:49 AM:
    >
    >> On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 19:28:15 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>

    >>> A more general, surer method, is to use PDF, XHTML, XML+XSL, or ODF.
    >>> There are several issues with each format.

    >> I like the PDF idea because it's not easily changed.

    > Not up to the student:
    >
    > <http://www.kaplan.edu/ku/learningku/...ainTab=Learnin
    > g&loc=0&SubNav=2>
    > -----
    > Microsoft Word is required to submit all assignments. In
    > addition, some classes require the use of Excel, PowerPoint,
    > and Access. Students are responsible for ensuring that they
    > have the software required and should not enroll in courses
    > for which they do not have the necessary software.
    >
    > If you have problems viewing pages on KU Campus using
    > Firefox, click here for instructions to add an Internet
    > Explorer tab to your browser.
    > -----
    >
    > By the way, the IE tab only works if you have IE... and thus are on a
    > Windows machine.

    I have IE working on my Linux dualboot. (IE should not
    be used on a Linux singleboot because of liability/legal
    issues.) It's a combination of IES4Linux and WinE.

    As for the above, the only real requirement is that the
    professor be able to read the student submissions; these
    submissions are assumed to be generated in Word's native
    ..DOC format, but they can be generated by anything so
    long as the prof can read them using Word's native Read,
    or whatever the prof uses for viewing them (there is a
    Word document reader available from Microsoft but I don't
    know the details).

    To that extent, OOWriter can generate .DOC files. In any
    event, someone needs to at some point tell the prof
    (or his IT support) that there are alternative methods
    for submission of papers; I get a little tired trying
    to distinguish the use of Microsoft Word from the use of
    English words. :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    If your CPU can't stand the heat, get another fan.

  13. Re: Online Classes

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, JEDIDIAH

    wrote
    on Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:55:03 -0500
    :
    > On 2008-07-24, thufir wrote:
    >> On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 19:28:15 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>

    >>> A more general, surer method, is to use PDF, XHTML, XML+XSL, or ODF.
    >>> There are several issues with each format.

    >> I like the PDF idea because it's not easily changed.

    > I tend to be partial to RTF.

    That's another option, to be sure. I should have included
    it. I don't know how standard it is, but it used to be
    popular with Microsoft.

    > It's something that will get recognized
    > as a "word document" but is well enough understood that there are plenty
    > of apps that can manipulate these files and that format has as many
    > "features" as most word processor users use.

    As yet another alternative:

    HTML can be "recognized" as a "word document". It's goofy,
    but it works.

    [1] Fire up a text editor, or, if one wishes, fancier
    editors such as Bluefish on Linux or DreamWeaver on
    Windows.

    [2] Create an HTML page. This page should have no images
    (a page with images might work if they're absolute URLs,
    but I've not tried it).

    [3] Save the page as SOMEPAGE.DOC, if possible. If not
    possible, save it as SOMEPAGE.HTML, then rename it.

    [4] Embed it in an email and ship it on its merry way; the
    recipient, unless he knows what he's looking for, will be
    none the wiser.

    [5] Of course when edited and resaved the file will become
    a true .DOC file.

    (As a naughty side effect, a .DOC *text* file -- yes, they're
    still around! -- may cause Word to have a hissy fit. At least
    it did the one time I tried it.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Does anyone else remember the 1802?

  14. Re: Online Classes

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Kadaitcha Man

    wrote
    on Thu, 24 Jul 2008 00:38:27 -1200
    :
    > chrisv, ye dirty fishwife, I think ye be transformed into a beast; for I
    > can nowhere find like thee a man, ye proscribed:

    >>>So it is good enough to gamble my college degree on in your view. No
    >>>thanks. I want to be sure technology quirks will not prevent me from
    >>>getting a degree.

    >> Fine. Don't take the (extremely minor) "risk". Not everyone is not
    >> as chicken**** as you are, though.

    > What he needs is DOS 3.3 and EDIT.EXE.

    EDIT? What about EDLIN? Much better editor (FSVO).

    :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Does anyone else remember the 1802?

  15. Re: Online Classes

    "The Ghost In The Machine" stated in post
    5o9nl5-sk4.ln1@sirius.tg00suus7038.net on 7/24/08 2:45 PM:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Snit
    >
    > wrote
    > on Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:30:11 -0700
    > :
    >> "thufir" stated in post
    >> wD0ik.90892$kx.15436@pd7urf3no on 7/24/08 7:49 AM:

    >>> I like the PDF idea because it's not easily changed.

    >> Not up to the student:
    >>
    >> <http://www.kaplan.edu/ku/learningku/...ainTab=Learnin
    >> g&loc=0&SubNav=2>
    >> -----
    >> Microsoft Word is required to submit all assignments. In
    >> addition, some classes require the use of Excel, PowerPoint,
    >> and Access. Students are responsible for ensuring that they
    >> have the software required and should not enroll in courses
    >> for which they do not have the necessary software.
    >>
    >> If you have problems viewing pages on KU Campus using
    >> Firefox, click here for instructions to add an Internet
    >> Explorer tab to your browser.
    >> -----
    >>
    >> By the way, the IE tab only works if you have IE... and thus are on a
    >> Windows machine.
    >>

    > I have IE working on my Linux dualboot. (IE should not
    > be used on a Linux singleboot because of liability/legal
    > issues.) It's a combination of IES4Linux and WinE.
    >
    > As for the above, the only real requirement is that the
    > professor be able to read the student submissions; these
    > submissions are assumed to be generated in Word's native
    > .DOC format, but they can be generated by anything so
    >
    > long as the prof can read them using Word's native Read,
    > or whatever the prof uses for viewing them (there is a
    > Word document reader available from Microsoft but I don't
    > know the details).
    >
    > To that extent, OOWriter can generate .DOC files. In any
    > event, someone needs to at some point tell the prof
    > (or his IT support) that there are alternative methods
    > for submission of papers; I get a little tired trying
    > to distinguish the use of Microsoft Word from the use of
    > English words. :-)

    The college requires submission of papers in .DOC/.DOCX format. The only
    way to know if your paper is going to be readable by your instructor in the
    way you intended is to use MS Word, neither OpenOffice nor, say, Apple's
    Pages will do. In each case they can save to Word formats but there are
    significant risks. I have run into examples of OpenOffice completely
    mangling tables - to the point of being essentially useless. Now imagine I
    was turning in a paper that had to be in strict APA or MLA style - even a
    small difference could hurt my grade.

    If you use OpenOffice then you need to find MS Word to check your work
    before you turn it in - that is not a good thing.

    --
    God made me an atheist - who are you to question his authority?

  16. Re: Online Classes

    On 2008-07-24, Patrick Thorley wrote:
    > I will soon be taking online classes from a University. They require MS
    > Word but I have been using Ubuntu for a while and cannot find a version of
    > MS Word for it. Does it exist? They are very clear that MS Word 2003 or
    > newer is required. Will OpenOffice or some other hack work or will the
    > instructors know and will that risk my success. I really just want to focus
    > on my work. Also, will I be able to use Ubuntu to use all of their online
    > material?
    >
    > Should I just move back to Windows? I got tired of the viruses on Windows
    > but I knew then that whatever I wanted to do my computer would do what I
    > need. Now, well, it seems a gamble. I want to stick with Ubuntu if I can.
    > Any ideas?

    Using Ubuntu are you?

    Looks like you already moved back to windows... or you are a troll of
    course.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  17. Re: Online Classes

    "Gregory Shearman" stated in post
    slrng8iflo.9gh.ZekeGregory@netscape.net on 7/24/08 7:47 PM:

    > On 2008-07-24, Patrick Thorley wrote:
    >> I will soon be taking online classes from a University. They require MS
    >> Word but I have been using Ubuntu for a while and cannot find a version of
    >> MS Word for it. Does it exist? They are very clear that MS Word 2003 or
    >> newer is required. Will OpenOffice or some other hack work or will the
    >> instructors know and will that risk my success. I really just want to focus
    >> on my work. Also, will I be able to use Ubuntu to use all of their online
    >> material?
    >>
    >> Should I just move back to Windows? I got tired of the viruses on Windows
    >> but I knew then that whatever I wanted to do my computer would do what I
    >> need. Now, well, it seems a gamble. I want to stick with Ubuntu if I can.
    >> Any ideas?
    >>

    > Using Ubuntu are you?

    > Looks like you already moved back to windows... or you are a troll of
    > course.

    Does MS make Entourage for Windows? Not that I know of!

    --
    "And so, in no sense, is stability a reason to move to a new version. Itıs
    never a reason." - Bill Gates

  18. Re: Online Classes

    In article ,
    Gregory Shearman wrote:
    > > Should I just move back to Windows? I got tired of the viruses on Windows
    > > but I knew then that whatever I wanted to do my computer would do what I
    > > need. Now, well, it seems a gamble. I want to stick with Ubuntu if I can.
    > > Any ideas?
    > >

    > Using Ubuntu are you?

    > Looks like you already moved back to windows... or you are a troll of
    > course.

    I'm curious why you take his user agent showing a program that is not
    available for Windows as evidence he is running Windows--that seems kind
    of counter intuitive. I'd take it as evidence he's running a Mac, since
    Entourage is only available for Mac. I suppose he could be running some
    kind of Mac emulator under Windows, but that seems rather unlikely.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  19. Re: Online Classes

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:29:54 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > Ah, if he does not share personal info he is not "normal".

    Specifying a university would only qualify as personal information in
    your world, Snit.

    -Thufir

  20. Re: Online Classes

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:11:17 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > No matter the *reason* for the requirements they clearly *do* exist for
    > at least some schools:
    >
    > <http://www.kaplan.edu/ku/learningku/techreq.aspx?

    School=Art&MainTab=Learnin
    > g&loc=0&SubNav=2>

    That some school would have such a requirement is a mark against it.

    -Thufir