Online Classes - Linux

This is a discussion on Online Classes - Linux ; Patrick Thorley wrote: > So it is good enough to gamble my college degree on in your view. No > thanks. I want to be sure technology quirks will not prevent me from > getting a degree. You really think ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 298

Thread: Online Classes

  1. Re: Online Classes

    Patrick Thorley wrote:
    > So it is good enough to gamble my college degree on in your view. No
    > thanks. I want to be sure technology quirks will not prevent me from
    > getting a degree.


    You really think college degrees are THAT fragile?

    That they can be broken by a file that didn't import properly on some
    lecturer's machine? Universities normally bend over backwards to help
    students pass their degrees normally. Specially in the early years. Final
    year gets harder, naturally.

    Are you a fresher? 1st year at univerity?
    Then you're safe. The first year is just used to get everyone up to
    relatively the same level before plunging into the deeper stuff you'll be
    examined on in the 2nd and 3rd years. 1st year grades don't even COUNT
    towards your final degree in many courses/institutions.

    > So use Ubuntu with the idea I will likely need to go to Windows or the Mac
    > anyway? Why? I want to focus on my education and not on the technology.


    If you'd made up your mind before even posting, why did you ask in the first
    place?
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a |
    | | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | operating system originally coded for a 4 bit |
    | in |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
    | Computer Science | can't stand 1 bit of competition. |

  2. Re: Online Classes

    Patrick Thorley wrote:
    >> The place it mostly matters, though, is Excel. There's a thing called
    >> the Analysis Pack (I forget the exact name), which is an add on for
    >> Excel that provides lots of nifty functionality, including lots of
    >> things useful in science and engineering. It makes heavy use of VBA.

    >
    > No offense but I have no clue what you are talking about.


    I hope this isn't a computer related degree you're entering...

    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |
    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't |
    | in | suck is probably the day they start making |
    | Computer science | vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge |

  3. Re: Online Classes

    * Patrick Thorley peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > "Linonut" stated in post
    > CZQhk.5606$US3.335@bignews2.bellsouth.net on 7/23/08 6:36 PM:
    >
    >> * Patrick Thorley peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> I will soon be taking online classes from a University. They require MS
    >>> Word but I have been using Ubuntu for a while and cannot find a version of
    >>> MS Word for it. Does it exist? They are very clear that MS Word 2003 or
    >>> newer is required. Will OpenOffice or some other hack work or will the
    >>> instructors know and will that risk my success. I really just want to focus
    >>> on my work. Also, will I be able to use Ubuntu to use all of their online
    >>> material?

    >>
    >> Ask them. They're responsible for their requirements. If you really
    >> need that particular outfit to get your online credits, then ask them
    >> how they handle it when a person cannot afford to purchase a copy of
    >> Word.
    >>
    >> Seems pretty suspect to me. The IEEE online courses, for example, use
    >> standard technology supported in Linux browsers.

    >
    > Suspect? In what way? Do you deny that Universities have such
    > requirements?


    Not for /online/ courses, I would bet.

    Here's one example:

    http://www.waol.org/getStarted/requirements.asp

    The closest thing to a Word requirement is a PowerPoint viewer.
    OpenOffice Impress will work very well for that.

    Ironically:

    PC Users, Blackboard recommends

    Windows Vista - Mozilla FireFox 2.0 (**IE 7 is not recommended at
    this time**)

    The biggest requirement they have is this:

    Before you take an online class, you should be confident about your
    computer and study skills.

    Face it. You blew the troll.

    If you really do want help, post the name and URL of the course, and
    we'll see what we can do.

    --
    Buckle up!

  4. Re: Online Classes

    * Patrick Thorley peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > "JEDIDIAH" stated in post
    > slrng8frtq.9fn.jedi@nomad.mishnet on 7/23/08 7:58 PM:
    >>
    >> You've given us absoultely no reason to believe that this alleged
    >> requirement exists anywhere outside of a petty beaurocrats mind.

    >
    > No reason to believe? Am I supposed to now convince you that the college I
    > am going to be taking classes from has the requirements they claim? Your
    > response is useless. Clearly you have no good answer. Fine with me but not
    > do not play your games. I did not come here for a religious war.


    They do follow the script, don't they?

    --
    "Being against torture ought to be sort of a bipartisan thing."
    -- Karl Lehenbauer

  5. Re: Online Classes

    * Patrick Thorley peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > So it is good enough to gamble my college degree on in your view. No
    > thanks. I want to be sure technology quirks will not prevent me from
    > getting a degree.




    > The files, I am sure, will be going both ways. What if I am given a file to
    > modify? And why risk struggling to read something if I do not have to. I
    > can see where OpenOffice could be used as a last resort but by choice? No
    > thanks. It simply is not worth the risk.




    > So use Ubuntu with the idea I will likely need to go to Windows or the Mac
    > anyway? Why? I want to focus on my education and not on the technology.




    > I tried that for a while but ran into networking problems. I do not know if
    > it was Windows or the software on Ubuntu (I forget what it was called).
    > Decided doing it that way added a ring of complexity I did not want to
    > hassle with. Maybe for a person who is really into computers this is fine.
    > I am not against people doing what they want and do not want to come across
    > as being against Ubuntu.




    --
    When you find yourself in danger,
    When you're threatened by a stranger,
    When it looks like you will take a lickin'...

    There is one thing you should learn,
    When there is no one else to turn to,
    Caaaall for Super Chicken!! (**bwuck-bwuck-bwuck-bwuck**)
    Caaaall for Super Chicken!!

  6. Re: Online Classes

    Linonut wrote:
    > * Patrick Thorley peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> "JEDIDIAH" stated in post
    >> slrng8frtq.9fn.jedi@nomad.mishnet on 7/23/08 7:58 PM:
    >>> You've given us absoultely no reason to believe that this alleged
    >>> requirement exists anywhere outside of a petty beaurocrats mind.

    >> No reason to believe? Am I supposed to now convince you that the college I
    >> am going to be taking classes from has the requirements they claim? Your
    >> response is useless. Clearly you have no good answer. Fine with me but not
    >> do not play your games. I did not come here for a religious war.

    >
    > They do follow the script, don't they?
    >


    religiously

  7. Re: Online Classes

    JEDIDIAH wrote:
    > petty beaurocrats.
    >


    is there any other kind?

  8. Re: Online Classes

    Patrick Thorley wrote:

    >> OpenOffice will be fine. Don't worry about it. Its compatibility is
    >> good. Furthermore, you are helped by the direction you'll be going--you
    >> will be *writing* files for your instructors to read. If you don't go
    >> crazy and use obscure weird features of OO (or whatever other non-Word
    >> word processor you might use), they should have no trouble opening the
    >> files.

    >
    >So it is good enough to gamble my college degree on in your view. No
    >thanks. I want to be sure technology quirks will not prevent me from
    >getting a degree.


    Fine. Don't take the (extremely minor) "risk". Not everyone is not
    as chicken**** as you are, though.


  9. Re: Online Classes

    chrisv, ye dirty fishwife, I think ye be transformed into a beast; for I
    can nowhere find like thee a man, ye proscribed:

    > Patrick Thorley wrote:
    >
    >>> OpenOffice will be fine. Don't worry about it. Its compatibility is
    >>> good. Furthermore, you are helped by the direction you'll be going--you
    >>> will be *writing* files for your instructors to read. If you don't go
    >>> crazy and use obscure weird features of OO (or whatever other non-Word
    >>> word processor you might use), they should have no trouble opening the
    >>> files.

    >>
    >>So it is good enough to gamble my college degree on in your view. No
    >>thanks. I want to be sure technology quirks will not prevent me from
    >>getting a degree.

    >
    > Fine. Don't take the (extremely minor) "risk". Not everyone is not
    > as chicken**** as you are, though.



    What he needs is DOS 3.3 and EDIT.EXE.

    --
    Hammer of Thor: February 2007. Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook,
    Line & Sinker: September 2005, April 2006, January 2007.
    Official Member: Cabal Obsidian Order COOSN-124-07-06660
    Official Overseer of Kooks & Trolls in 24hoursupport.helpdesk




  10. Re: Online Classes

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 07:58:15 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Patrick Thorley peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> So it is good enough to gamble my college degree on in your view. No
    >> thanks. I want to be sure technology quirks will not prevent me from
    >> getting a degree.

    >
    >
    >
    >> The files, I am sure, will be going both ways. What if I am given a
    >> file to modify? And why risk struggling to read something if I do not
    >> have to. I can see where OpenOffice could be used as a last resort but
    >> by choice? No thanks. It simply is not worth the risk.

    >
    >
    >
    >> So use Ubuntu with the idea I will likely need to go to Windows or the
    >> Mac anyway? Why? I want to focus on my education and not on the
    >> technology.

    >
    >
    >
    >> I tried that for a while but ran into networking problems. I do not
    >> know if it was Windows or the software on Ubuntu (I forget what it was
    >> called). Decided doing it that way added a ring of complexity I did not
    >> want to hassle with. Maybe for a person who is really into computers
    >> this is fine. I am not against people doing what they want and do not
    >> want to come across as being against Ubuntu.

    >
    >


    Yup, right "by the book".

    --
    Is a M$ "Certificate of Authenticity"
    for Vista, a junk bond?

  11. Re: Online Classes

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 18:08:21 -0700, Patrick Thorley wrote:
    >I will soon be taking online classes from a University. They require MS
    >Word but I have been using Ubuntu for a while and cannot find a version of
    >MS Word for it. Does it exist? They are very clear that MS Word 2003 or
    >newer is required. Will OpenOffice or some other hack work or will the
    >instructors know and will that risk my success. I really just want to focus
    >on my work. Also, will I be able to use Ubuntu to use all of their online
    >material?


    >Should I just move back to Windows? I got tired of the viruses on Windows
    >but I knew then that whatever I wanted to do my computer would do what I
    >need. Now, well, it seems a gamble. I want to stick with Ubuntu if I can.
    >Any ideas?


    I simply had a a vmware virtual machine set up for my class work.
    There were some teaching aid simulations where being able to take
    snapshots and revert to them (like a saved game) saved a lot of time
    and effort. All my files were stored on my linux box, so I could
    revert to a pristine state after each class. If some moron classmate
    insisted that he could only 'chat' via AIM, I could remove all the AOL
    malware with a revert. Also, towards the end of my curriculum, all
    books were distributed with (!$(!$!! DRM which doesn't play nice
    outside the windows world.

    Setting up a virtual windows machine for classwork can also be done
    with QEMU/KQEMU but I already owned vmware so I stuck with it.

  12. Re: Online Classes

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 21:55:01 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > What part of...
    >
    > THE IDIOTS MAKING THE RULES CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE
    >
    > did you not get?
    >
    > Don't be such a MORON. You're supposed to be in University.



    When it's "a University", then he's not really at a specific University.
    Who knows, maybe he'll post a link like any normal person would.


    -Thufir

  13. Re: Online Classes

    On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 19:28:15 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:


    > A more general, surer method, is to use PDF, XHTML, XML+XSL, or ODF.
    > There are several issues with each format.



    I like the PDF idea because it's not easily changed.



    -Thufir

  14. Re: Online Classes

    On Jul 23, 9:08*pm, Patrick Thorley wrote:
    > I will soon be taking online classes from a University. *They require MS
    > Word but I have been using Ubuntu for a while and cannot find a version of
    > MS Word for it. *Does it exist? *They are very clear that MS Word 2003 or
    > newer is required. *Will OpenOffice or some other hack work or will the
    > instructors know and will that risk my success. I really just want to focus
    > on my work. *Also, will I be able to use Ubuntu to use all of their online
    > material?
    >
    > Should I just move back to Windows? *I got tired of the viruses on Windows
    > but I knew then that whatever I wanted to do my computer would do what I
    > need. *Now, well, it seems a gamble. *I want to stick with Ubuntu if I can.
    > Any ideas?


    You can buy MS Word, and run on Ubuntu.
    Get Wine, and you can run Windows stuff on Linux.
    Programs work on it 1/2 the time, on 1/4 of the programs.
    Just in case, get Professional. Use another student loan.

    Just run Windows for the class stuff?
    You can run Ubuntu the for everything else.

    Maybe your class stuff, will have a virus?
    Maybe it won't fun on Vista?

    I have to bill you for this advice.
    Please send me $10. No checks.
    USA Dollars only.

    thanks.


    Get the professional $800 version.

  15. Re: Online Classes

    On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 14:49:00 +0000, thufir wrote:

    > On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 19:28:15 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >
    >> A more general, surer method, is to use PDF, XHTML, XML+XSL, or ODF.
    >> There are several issues with each format.

    >
    >
    > I like the PDF idea because it's not easily changed.
    >
    >
    >
    > -Thufir


    ... unless you have Acrobat :-)



    --
    Rick

  16. Re: Online Classes

    Andrew Halliwell writes:

    > Patrick Thorley wrote:
    >>> The place it mostly matters, though, is Excel. There's a thing called
    >>> the Analysis Pack (I forget the exact name), which is an add on for
    >>> Excel that provides lots of nifty functionality, including lots of
    >>> things useful in science and engineering. It makes heavy use of VBA.

    >>
    >> No offense but I have no clue what you are talking about.

    >
    > I hope this isn't a computer related degree you're entering...


    Why?

    Most people who got the best degrees in CS I know of knew next to
    nothing when they went in. Since they didn't think they knew it all they
    actually learnt what the course was intended to teach them.

  17. Re: Online Classes

    On 2008-07-24, thufir wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 19:28:15 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >
    >> A more general, surer method, is to use PDF, XHTML, XML+XSL, or ODF.
    >> There are several issues with each format.

    >
    >
    > I like the PDF idea because it's not easily changed.


    I tend to be partial to RTF. It's something that will get recognized
    as a "word document" but is well enough understood that there are plenty
    of apps that can manipulate these files and that format has as many
    "features" as most word processor users use.

    --

    Linux: Because I don't want to push pretty buttons. |||
    I want the pretty buttons to push themelves. / | \

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  18. Re: Online Classes

    On 2008-07-24, Andrew Halliwell claimed:
    > Patrick Thorley wrote:


    >> No offense but I have no clue what you are talking about.

    >
    > I hope this isn't a computer related degree you're entering...


    Sounds more like social work. Not as a provider, but as a recipient.
    Maybe working with autistic adults, or /as/ an autistic adult.

    Or a troll. Nah. We don't get any of those here.

    --
    Frontpage: Allowing more people who can't design to be on the web.

  19. Re: Online Classes

    "Andrew Halliwell" stated in post
    ao2ml5-nro.ln1@ponder.sky.com on 7/24/08 3:39 AM:

    > Patrick Thorley wrote:
    >> So it is good enough to gamble my college degree on in your view. No
    >> thanks. I want to be sure technology quirks will not prevent me from
    >> getting a degree.

    >
    > You really think college degrees are THAT fragile?
    >
    > That they can be broken by a file that didn't import properly on some
    > lecturer's machine? Universities normally bend over backwards to help
    > students pass their degrees normally. Specially in the early years. Final
    > year gets harder, naturally.
    >
    > Are you a fresher? 1st year at univerity?
    > Then you're safe. The first year is just used to get everyone up to
    > relatively the same level before plunging into the deeper stuff you'll be
    > examined on in the 2nd and 3rd years. 1st year grades don't even COUNT
    > towards your final degree in many courses/institutions.
    >
    >> So use Ubuntu with the idea I will likely need to go to Windows or the Mac
    >> anyway? Why? I want to focus on my education and not on the technology.

    >
    > If you'd made up your mind before even posting, why did you ask in the first
    > place?


    Made up his mind before posting? What are you talking about? From what I
    have seen he came to COLA *asking*... not having already decided.


    --
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
    --Aldous Huxley


  20. Re: Online Classes

    "Patrick Thorley" stated in post
    C4AD2415.CAC22%Thorley67@hotmal.com on 7/23/08 6:08 PM:

    > I will soon be taking online classes from a University. They require MS
    > Word but I have been using Ubuntu for a while and cannot find a version of
    > MS Word for it. Does it exist?


    Looks like others have already answered, but no. There is no MS Word for
    Linux (Ubuntu).

    > They are very clear that MS Word 2003 or
    > newer is required. Will OpenOffice or some other hack work or will the
    > instructors know and will that risk my success. I really just want to focus
    > on my work. Also, will I be able to use Ubuntu to use all of their online
    > material?
    >
    > Should I just move back to Windows? I got tired of the viruses on Windows
    > but I knew then that whatever I wanted to do my computer would do what I
    > need. Now, well, it seems a gamble. I want to stick with Ubuntu if I can.
    > Any ideas?


    I see you are posting from a Mac... even from MS Office. You likely have MS
    Word on your Mac.


    --
    If A = B and B = C, then A = C, except where void or prohibited by law.
    Roy Santoro, Psycho Proverb Zone (http://snipurl.com/BurdenOfProof)






+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast