Online Classes - Linux

This is a discussion on Online Classes - Linux ; "Steve Carrolll" wrote in message news:g6lg0u$rku$1@registered.motzarella.org > "Rick" wrote in message > news:t_udnVrTZINxuBPVnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@supernews.co m >> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:47:13 -0700, Snit wrote: >> >>> "Rick" stated in post >>> 7d6dnW95QajgJxDVnZ2dnUVZ_s_inZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 5:24 AM: >>> >>>> On Mon, ...

  1. Re: Online Classes

    "Steve Carrolll" wrote in message
    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:t_udnVrTZINxuBPVnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@supernews.co m
    >> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:47:13 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>> 7d6dnW95QajgJxDVnZ2dnUVZ_s_inZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 5:24 AM:

    >>> Correct - and I have no problem with students *asking*.

    >> Oh. YOU have no problem with it. Well Hallelujah, Michael Glasser has
    >> no problem with students asking. All is right with the world
    >>

    > Snit does not even teach so what does his opinion matter?

    Snit, please stop forging my posting ID.

    --
    "Apple is pushing how green this is - but it [Macbook Air] is
    clearly disposable... when the battery dies you can pretty much

  2. Re: Online Classes

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:24:26 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>> t_udnSfTZIPubxDVnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 9:23 AM:

    >>> LOL! Not now... now that you have been told that there would be no
    >>> problem with using a different one.

    >> I don't care why now, I didn't care why then.
    >>

    >>> Before you claimed it was merely an opinion that it was silly to
    >>> require a *USB* mic.

    >> It still is an opinion. Your opinion. Apparently your opinion differs
    >> from the teacher's.

    >>> This has been covered repeatedly... if you cannot figure it out yet
    >>> that is your problem.

    >> So, you are admitting you don't know if it is a requirement or not,
    >> even though it was plainly stated as a requirement.
    >>
    >>> If you apologize for your going out of your way to tie
    >>> your posts to my name *and* agree to no longer do so in the future I
    >>> will help you understand such basic things.

    >> Michael Glasser, you are a liar.
    >>

    >>> And in response Rick will dig through the thread and claim he was
    >>> merely feigning ignorance.
    >>>
    >>> Completely predictable.

    >> Michael Glasser, you are a liar.

    >>> Yours: specifically that it is merely an opinion that the *USB* mic
    >>> requirement is silly...

    >> What is there to back up? Your statement that the *USB* mic
    >> requirement is silly is not a fact, it is an opinion. Your opinion.
    >>
    >>> yet you cannot think of a single reason why it
    >>> would not be silly... heck, you can no longer even figure out what
    >>> the requirements stated!

    >> You're a liar, Michael Glasser.

    >> Screw you. Go take your meds.

    > Snit is having a bad reaction from combining meds.

    Snit, please stop forging my posting ID.

    --
    "Apple is pushing how green this is - but it [Macbook Air] is
    clearly disposable... when the battery dies you can pretty much
    just throw it away". - Snit

  3. Re: Online Classes

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:47:13 -0700, Snit wrote:

    >>> If one could do that, why would we be discussing how best to meet the
    >>> damn requirement?
    >>>
    >>> Get a clue.

    >> Students can always ask the teachers for exceptions to the rules. It is
    >> done quite frequently. The answer is usually no, but not always.

    > Correct - and I have no problem with students *asking*.

    I can just picture Snit saying "uh, no can't submit an OO document
    because the requirement is the requirement." After, it's a class in how
    to move the mouse around, or whatever.

    -Thufir

  4. Re: Online Classes

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:36:32 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >> That's a twisted view. Instead, if .doc were a standard then OO could
    >> read/write to that standard better and there'd be no issue.
    >>

    >> -Thufir

    > .doc *is* a defacto standard, much like round wheels on cars.

    You know what I meant when I wrote that.

    -Thufir

  5. Re: Online Classes

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:09:24 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > The formatting of the table is not the only error OpenOffice made:
    >

    > Now you play semantic games with the term "mangled", but clearly the
    > representation of the file is different enough as to risk ones grade.

    You're not going to find anyone who claims that all documents look the
    same in OO as they do in word. What's your point? Draw a freaking
    conclusion for ****s sake.

    -Thufir

  6. Re: Online Classes

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:26:10 -0700, Snit wrote:

    >> You're not disputing that it's an absurd requirement.

    > Correct... I have noted, however, that it is unwise to not follow the
    > requirement because of a rather strong risk of lost time and even
    > detrimental effects on grades.

    I don't believe that was ever at issue, maybe you'll quote someone
    writing "yeh, just use OO, everything will be fine, I guarantee it."
    It's like agreeing that the earth orbits the sun -- it's just not in
    contention.

    The consensus was to use Word if you're worried/not sure/whatever.
    Which, of course, was the freaking, uh, point of the OP. It was almost
    certainly a rhetorical question.

    -Thufir

  7. Re: Online Classes

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, thufir

    wrote
    on Mon, 28 Jul 2008 23:27:16 GMT
    :
    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:36:32 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >>> That's a twisted view. Instead, if .doc were a standard then OO could
    >>> read/write to that standard better and there'd be no issue.
    >>>

    >>> -Thufir

    >> .doc *is* a defacto standard, much like round wheels on cars.

    > You know what I meant when I wrote that.

    Perhaps. However, Moshe is right; .doc has several advantages.

    [1] It is widely used. That in itself means little, as
    we've already seen some issues where one version of Word
    (97) had trouble importing an older version's files (95).
    However, a lot of people and applications know (or think
    they know) how to read a .doc file; certainly Windows
    can easily do so, with minimal additional tools.

    [2] It has been hacked six ways from Sunday; presumably
    that's one reason OpenOffice can generate these files.
    Again, though, things get interesting.

    [3] Unlike HTML, which *is* a true standard, .doc files
    contain everything -- charts, pictures, spreadsheets,
    and of course a document. A rough analogue with HTML
    would be a MIME-encoded multipart/related message file,
    or something archived with zip, tar, ar, rar, or other
    such archival solutions. Such solutions aren't quite
    as convenient to handle. Presumably ODF handles this
    issue (as does OOXML); it turns out ODF is a zip archive
    anyway, with a specified file subtree.

    [4] .doc files are more readily generated by Microsoft
    tools. If that's all one has, that's the preferred
    format. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. An OS which actually, unlike certain other offerings, works.

  8. Re: Circus over.

    "Wally" wrote in message
    > On 28/7/08 10:31 PM, in article
    > trollkiller-D33107.08310128072008@ne...ps.comcast.net, "Steve
    > Carroll" wrote:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>> 7d6dnXJ5QahTaBHVnZ2dnUVZ_s_inZ2d@supernews.com on 7/27/08 3:25 PM:

    >>> Poor Rick... makes an idiot of himself...

    >> Please explain how the only people you ever come in to contact with
    >> in csma and
    >> cola are all "idiots", "liars", "trolls", etc.

    > Karma?

    His Dogma?

    >> You claim to have a psych degree...

    > Probably true..... But the name on it wouldnąt be his!

    The official psychology paperwork with Snit's name on it is not a degree
    unless you count how many degrees from sanity he is.

    >> maybe there is a clue here for you.

    > If so guaranteed Snit could never find it!

  9. Re: Online Classes

    "thufir" stated in post
    xQsjk.39347$nD.4730@pd7urf1no on 7/28/08 4:43 PM:

    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:09:24 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >

    >> The formatting of the table is not the only error OpenOffice made:
    >>

    >> Now you play semantic games with the term "mangled", but clearly the
    >> representation of the file is different enough as to risk ones grade.
    >>

    > You're not going to find anyone who claims that all documents look the
    > same in OO as they do in word. What's your point? Draw a freaking
    > conclusion for ****s sake.

    I have repeatedly talked about the obvious conclusion: if a school requires
    MS Word and you use OpenOffice you risk hurting your grade and wasting your
    time.

    Does this confuse you?

    --
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
    nothing. - Unknown

  10. Re: Online Classes

    "thufir" stated in post
    iXsjk.100060$kx.24554@pd7urf3no on 7/28/08 4:50 PM:

    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:26:10 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >>> You're not disputing that it's an absurd requirement.

    >> Correct... I have noted, however, that it is unwise to not follow the
    >> requirement because of a rather strong risk of lost time and even
    >> detrimental effects on grades.

    > I don't believe that was ever at issue,

    So you agree with me. Excellent. In the discussion between the two of us
    it is irrelevant who else agrees (or not).

    --
    BU__SH__

  11. Re: Online Classes

    "thufir" stated in post
    AAsjk.100040$kx.34382@pd7urf3no on 7/28/08 4:26 PM:

    >>> Students can always ask the teachers for exceptions to the rules. It is
    >>> done quite frequently. The answer is usually no, but not always.

    >> Correct - and I have no problem with students *asking*.

    > I can just picture Snit saying "uh, no can't submit an OO document
    > because the requirement is the requirement."

    At least here you admit that what you can "see" is just a delusion of yours.

    Wow. Just wow.

    > After, it's a class in how
    > to move the mouse around, or whatever.

    What the heck are you babbling about? Do you even know? Are you mocking
    beginners who start classes learning to use a mouse? Are you really that
    pathetic?

    --
    The answer to the water shortage is to dilute it.

  12. Re: Circus over.

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 18:33:22 -0700, Steve Carrolll wrote:

    > The official psychology paperwork with Snit's name on it is not a degree
    > unless you count how many degrees from sanity he is.

    LOL!

  13. Re: Online Classes

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 18:47:26 -0700, Snit wrote:

    >> You're not going to find anyone who claims that all documents look the
    >> same in OO as they do in word. What's your point? Draw a freaking
    >> conclusion for ****s sake.

    > I have repeatedly talked about the obvious conclusion: if a school
    > requires MS Word and you use OpenOffice you risk hurting your grade and
    > wasting your time.
    >
    > Does this confuse you?

    I would hardly qualify that as "drawing a conclusion" unless you're
    mentally handicapped.

    -Thufir

  14. Re: Online Classes

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 18:48:29 -0700, Snit wrote:

    >> I don't believe that was ever at issue,

    > So you agree with me. Excellent. In the discussion between the two of
    > us it is irrelevant who else agrees (or not).
    >
    >> maybe you'll quote someone
    >> writing "yeh, just use OO, everything will be fine, I guarantee it."
    >> It's like agreeing that the earth orbits the sun -- it's just not in
    >> contention.

    I don't think anyone contended that OO is a panacea.

    -Thufir

  15. Re: Online Classes

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 18:46:27 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > The question is not about the ability to read PDF...

    But if the "professor" is so inflexible on accepting PDF's then I would
    wonder why. Is he unable to install software to read them? Does he just
    not want to? What's the deal? It's a mickey-mouse requirement, is
    everything he does mickey-mouse?

    -Thufir

  16. Re: Online Classes

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 03:10:57 +0000, thufir wrote:

    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 18:46:27 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >

    >> The question is not about the ability to read PDF...

    > But if the "professor" is so inflexible on accepting PDF's then I would
    > wonder why. Is he unable to install software to read them? Does he just
    > not want to? What's the deal? It's a mickey-mouse requirement, is
    > everything he does mickey-mouse?

    Another way to look at its how many pieces of software should an
    instructor have to use to read students' work? It is more efficient for
    the instructor to only have to deal with one application. Instructors can
    then focus on grading the assignment, and get those grades out quicker.

    That is one reason why OSS may be a good fit for many classes. The
    instructor can give the student the software.

    --
    Rick

  17. Re: Online Classes

    "thufir" stated in post
    CPvjk.40767$nD.13257@pd7urf1no on 7/28/08 8:07 PM:

    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 18:47:26 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >>> You're not going to find anyone who claims that all documents look the
    >>> same in OO as they do in word. What's your point? Draw a freaking
    >>> conclusion for ****s sake.

    >> I have repeatedly talked about the obvious conclusion: if a school
    >> requires MS Word and you use OpenOffice you risk hurting your grade and
    >> wasting your time.
    >>
    >> Does this confuse you?

    > I would hardly qualify that as "drawing a conclusion" unless you're
    > mentally handicapped.

    Ah, you see my comment was simple and accurate.

    And yet folks in COLA argued against me. Funny, eh?

    --
    Teachers open the door but you must walk through it yourself.

  18. Re: Online Classes

    "thufir" stated in post
    LQvjk.100802$kx.14221@pd7urf3no on 7/28/08 8:08 PM:

    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 18:48:29 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >>> I don't believe that was ever at issue,

    >> So you agree with me. Excellent. In the discussion between the two of
    >> us it is irrelevant who else agrees (or not).
    >>
    >>> maybe you'll quote someone
    >>> writing "yeh, just use OO, everything will be fine, I guarantee it."
    >>> It's like agreeing that the earth orbits the sun -- it's just not in
    >>> contention.

    > I don't think anyone contended that OO is a panacea.

    Um. OK.

    --
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
    conscientious stupidity. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

  19. Re: Online Classes

    "thufir" stated in post
    5Tvjk.40789$nD.37362@pd7urf1no on 7/28/08 8:10 PM:

    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 18:46:27 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >

    >> The question is not about the ability to read PDF...

    > But if the "professor" is so inflexible on accepting PDF's then I would
    > wonder why. Is he unable to install software to read them? Does he just
    > not want to? What's the deal? It's a mickey-mouse requirement, is
    > everything he does mickey-mouse?

    Some of the reasons why a PDF might not be acceptable have been covered.
    You claimed my "conclusions" were something only a person of limited mental
    capacity could fail to understand.

    And yet you fail to understand.

    That is funny.

    --
    "Innovation is not about saying yes to everything. It's about saying NO to
    all but the most crucial features." -- Steve Jobs

  20. Re: Online Classes

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 21:02:00 -0700, Snit wrote:

    >>> I have repeatedly talked about the obvious conclusion: if a school
    >>> requires MS Word and you use OpenOffice you risk hurting your grade
    >>> and wasting your time.
    >>>
    >>> Does this confuse you?

    >> I would hardly qualify that as "drawing a conclusion" unless you're
    >> mentally handicapped.

    > Ah, you see my comment was simple and accurate.

    The point is that you have no point (aside from the obligatory Mac
    advocacy).

    -Thufir