Online Classes - Linux

This is a discussion on Online Classes - Linux ; "Rick" stated in post 7d6dnWl5QajQWRDVnZ2dnUVZ_s_inZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 6:06 AM: > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 14:39:36 +0200, Hadron wrote: > >> Rick writes: >> >>> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:12:19 +0200, Hadron wrote: >>> >>>> thufir writes: >>>> >>>>> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 298

  1. Re: Online Classes

    "Rick" stated in post
    7d6dnWl5QajQWRDVnZ2dnUVZ_s_inZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 6:06 AM:

    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 14:39:36 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Rick writes:

    >>> Students can always ask the teachers for exceptions to the rules. It is
    >>> done quite frequently. The answer is usually no, but not always.

    >> Yes of course one can always "ask". But what happened to yesterdays
    >> mantra of "it's their requirements"?

    > You just have to suck up to Glxsser, don't you? You just can't have a
    > conversation without dissing something.

    His comment had nothing to do with me... and you dodged the question.

    --
    "If a million people believe a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing."
    - Anatole France

  2. Re: Online Classes

    "Moshe Goldfarb." stated in post
    rje7z3prk89f$.1y2f2999p1y9$.dlg@40tude.net on 7/28/08 10:36 AM:

    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 17:03:21 GMT, thufir wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:55:14 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>

    >>> Funny how the Linux loons are always talking about Microsoft wanting to
    >>> change the standards and how evil that is yet here they are trying to
    >>> change the standards so that their own miserable program will work in a
    >>> particular setting.

    >> That's a twisted view. Instead, if .doc were a standard then OO could
    >> read/write to that standard better and there'd be no issue.
    >>

    >> -Thufir

    > .doc *is* a defacto standard, much like round wheels on cars.

    In the case of the college .DOC is a *stated* requirement.

    I can understated people not liking that... but to suggest people risk using
    OpenOffice to make documents to be read by MS Word in such a setting is just
    silly.

    --
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
    --Albert Einstein

  3. Re: Online Classes

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:24:33 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > t_udnSbTZIMNaxDVnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 9:40 AM:
    >
    >> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:32:22 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>> t_udnS7TZIMtcxDVnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 9:07 AM:

    >>> Do you deny the following quotes as being yourssnip)

    >> Answered in another post.
    >> The quotes look like mine.
    >> Your conclusions are wrong.
    >>

    >>> I have quoted your agreement.

    >> No, you didn't.

    > You, Rick, have acknowledged the following quotes from you are correct
    > (or at least appear to be in your view)snip)

    Answered in another post.
    The quotes look like mine.
    Your conclusions are wrong.

    (snip)

    --
    Rick

  4. Re: Online Classes

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:20:33 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > t_udnSXTZINhbBDVnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 9:21 AM:
    >
    >> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:06:17 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>> 7d6dnWZ5Qah4ShDVnZ2dnUVZ_s_inZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 7:29 AM:

    >>> Do you deny the following quotes as being yourssnip)

    >> Replied to in another post.
    >> The quotes look like mine.
    >> Your conclusion's are incorrect.
    >>

    > You, Rick, have acknowledged the following quotes from you are correct
    > (or at least appear to be in your view):

    ( Circus snip)

    Replied to in another post.
    The quotes look like mine.
    Your conclusion's are incorrect.

    ( Circus snip)

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: Online Classes

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:20:40 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > t_udnSTTZIOsbxDVnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 9:22 AM:
    >
    >> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:03:46 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>> 7d6dnWV5QaiUThDVnZ2dnUVZ_s_inZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 7:09 AM:

    >>> Do you deny the following quotes as being yourssnip)

    >> Replied to in another post.
    >> The quotes look like mine,
    >> Your conclusions are incorrect.

    > You, Rick, have acknowledged the following quotes from you are correct
    > (or at least appear to be in your view):

    Replied to in another post.
    The quotes look like mine,
    Your conclusions are incorrect.

    (circus snip)

    --
    Rick

  6. Re: Online Classes

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:24:49 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > t_udnSHTZIOOahDVnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 9:42 AM:

    >>> You did not answer the question.

    >> What question?

    See....

    >>> Nor will you.
    >>>
    >>> You can't.

    >> You should really get some therapy, Michael.

    > You, Rick, have acknowledged the following quotes from you are correct
    > (or at least appear to be in your view):

    (circus snip)

    --
    Rick

  7. Re: Online Classes

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:11:50 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > t_udnSjTZIN9chDVnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 9:12 AM:

    >>> One was printed single spaced. The other double.
    >>>

    >>> We can bicker over why or how OpenOffice does not work... but the fact
    >>> is it did not work.

    >> You said it mangled the template. It did not mangle the template.

    > As shown by the screen shots at the link it clearly did... as I have
    > described.
    >
    > Why do you deny such easy to demonstrate facts?

    The formatting of the table was slightly different. That is not mangling
    the template.

    --
    Rick

  8. Re: Online Classes

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:24:26 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > t_udnSfTZIPubxDVnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 9:23 AM:

    >>> I noted why going against the MS Word requirement could be bad... even
    >>> posted screen shots that proved my point.
    >>>
    >>> You are not able to show why using a non-USB mic could be bad.

    >> I don't care why.

    > LOL! Not now... now that you have been told that there would be no
    > problem with using a different one.

    I don't care why now, I didn't care why then.

    > Before you claimed it was merely an opinion that it was silly to require
    > a *USB* mic.

    It still is an opinion. Your opinion. Apparently your opinion differs
    from the teacher's.

    >> Is it a class requirement or not?

    > This has been covered repeatedly... if you cannot figure it out yet that
    > is your problem.

    So, you are admitting you don't know if it is a requirement or not, even
    though it was plainly stated as a requirement.

    > If you apologize for your going out of your way to tie
    > your posts to my name *and* agree to no longer do so in the future I
    > will help you understand such basic things.

    Michael Glasser, you are a liar.

    > And in response Rick will dig through the thread and claim he was merely
    > feigning ignorance.
    >
    > Completely predictable.

    Michael Glasser, you are a liar.

    >>> You are not as good at supporting your claims as I am.

    >> What claims?

    > Yours: specifically that it is merely an opinion that the *USB* mic
    > requirement is silly...

    What is there to back up? Your statement that the *USB* mic requirement
    is silly is not a fact, it is an opinion. Your opinion.

    > yet you cannot think of a single reason why it
    > would not be silly... heck, you can no longer even figure out what the
    > requirements stated!

    You're a liar, Michael Glasser.

    >>> Not like this is
    >>> news, but this is a great example.
    >>>
    >>> Will be fun to watch you deny it.

    Screw you. Go take your meds.

    --
    Rick

  9. Re: Online Classes

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:47:51 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > 7d6dnWl5QajQWRDVnZ2dnUVZ_s_inZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 6:06 AM:

    >>> Yes of course one can always "ask". But what happened to yesterdays
    >>> mantra of "it's their requirements"?

    >> You just have to suck up to Glxsser, don't you? You just can't have a
    >> conversation without dissing something.

    > His comment had nothing to do with me... and you dodged the question.

    Well, Glasser, I see you are still editing people's posts.

    --
    Rick

  10. Re: Online Classes

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:47:13 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > 7d6dnW95QajgJxDVnZ2dnUVZ_s_inZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 5:24 AM:

    >>> Mind boggling.
    >>>
    >>> If one could do that, why would we be discussing how best to meet the
    >>> damn requirement?
    >>>
    >>> Get a clue.

    >> Students can always ask the teachers for exceptions to the rules. It is
    >> done quite frequently. The answer is usually no, but not always.

    > Correct - and I have no problem with students *asking*.

    Oh. YOU have no problem with it. Well Hallelujah, Michael Glasser has no
    problem with students asking. All is right with the world

    --
    Rick

  11. Re: Online Classes

    Rick wrote:

    > Well, Glasser, I see you are still editing people's posts.

    And he always will. That's the way of the troll. So why do you keep trying
    to "reason" with him? Not going to work.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  12. Re: Online Classes

    "Rick" stated in post
    t_udnSLTZIOKvhPVnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 12:50 PM:

    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:24:33 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" stated in post
    >> t_udnSbTZIMNaxDVnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 9:40 AM:

    >>> Answered in another post.
    >>> The quotes look like mine.
    >>> Your conclusions are wrong.

    >>> No, you didn't.

    >> You, Rick, have acknowledged the following quotes from you are correct
    >> (or at least appear to be in your view)snip)

    > Answered in another post.
    > The quotes look like mine.
    > Your conclusions are wrong.

    You, Rick, have acknowledged the following quotes from you are correct (or
    at least appear to be in your view):

    Rick:
    I never said a consistent interface wasn't important.

    Rick:
    Actually my view is not so different from usability experts.
    It does enhance usability to have menus and controls in the
    same places across applications. The more uniform or
    consistent that is, the better for the user. I have said this
    many times before. I am not coming around to your point of
    view.

    Rick:
    I have repeatedly said I agree that that consistency across
    an interface lowers errors and increases efficiency of use.

    Snit:
    The fractured UI present in every desktop distro -
    a combo of KDE, Gnome and others...
    Rick:
    That's at least 3 UIs.

    Rick:
    Which UI would that be?
    Snit:
    The fractured UI present in every desktop distro - a combo of
    KDE, Gnome and others... there are differences, of course, in
    the different distros in details, but they all share that
    trait...
    Rick:
    That's at least 4 UIs.

    Snit:
    If you think it is merely an opinion and not a solid fact
    then point to the desktop Linux distro that does not have a
    UI with a fractured combo of KDE, Gnome, and others... or
    otherwise is not quite inconsistent.
    Rick:
    Your example is not one UI, it is a least 4 UIs.

    Whoever wrote the above *clearly* was agreeing with me about at least some
    of the facts and problems associated with the fractured UI of desktop Linux.

    Yet you, Rick, deny agreeing with me.

    I can accept that you no longer agree with your above claims, but to deny
    them as you also have admitted they appear to be accurately yours is - well,
    another flip flop of yours.

    OK, and of course, Rick, you will whine about the *term* "fractured"... but
    the fact is the user experience of desktop Linux consists of, as *you* say,
    "at least 4 UIs". This clearly leads to inconsistencies... which *you* say
    is not "better for the user".

    So just where - other than your semantic games - do you think you disagree
    with me in the facts and problems with the fracturing of the user experience
    of desktop Linux?

    And - predictably - you will run from that question, Rick. You will claim I
    am lying for merely quoting you... and then you will not say which quote you
    think is not fairly quoted.

    How many times do you want to play that same game?

    --
    The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of
    limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and

  13. Re: Online Classes

    "Rick" stated in post
    t_udnV3TZIP_vhPVnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 12:52 PM:

    >> You, Rick, have acknowledged the following quotes from you are correct
    >> (or at least appear to be in your view):
    >>

    > ( Circus snip)
    >
    > Replied to in another post.
    > The quotes look like mine.
    > Your conclusion's are incorrect.

    I draw no conclusions that are not stated in the quotes. Whoever wrote the
    quotes was agreeing with me about at least some of the facts and problems
[...]

    "In order to discover who you are, first learn who everybody else is. You're
    what's left." - Skip Hansen

  14. Re: Online Classes

    "Rick" stated in post
    t_udnVzTZIMMvhPVnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 12:52 PM:

    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:20:40 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" stated in post
    >> t_udnSTTZIOsbxDVnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 9:22 AM:

    >>> Replied to in another post.
    >>> The quotes look like mine,
    >>> Your conclusions are incorrect.

    >> You, Rick, have acknowledged the following quotes from you are correct
    >> (or at least appear to be in your view):

    > Replied to in another post.
    > The quotes look like mine,
    > Your conclusions are incorrect.

    I draw no conclusions that are not stated in the quotes. Whoever wrote the
    quotes was agreeing with me about at least some of the facts and problems
    associated with the fractured UI of desktop Linux.

    Yet you, Rick, deny agreeing with me.

    I can accept that you no longer agree with your above claims, but to deny
    them as you also have admitted they appear to be accurately yours is - well,
    another flip flop of yours.

    OK, and of course, Rick, you will whine about the *term* "fractured"... but
    the fact is the user experience of desktop Linux consists of, as *you* say,
    "at least 4 UIs". This clearly leads to inconsistencies... which *you* say
    is not "better for the user".

    So just where - other than your semantic games - do you think you disagree
    with me in the facts and problems with the fracturing of the user experience
    of desktop Linux?

    And - predictably - you will run from that question, Rick. You will claim I
    am lying for merely quoting you... and then you will not say which quote you
    think is not fairly quoted.

    How many times do you want to play that same game?

    --
    The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of
    limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and
    great nations. - David Friedman

  15. Re: Online Classes

    "Rick" stated in post
    t_udnV_TZINcvhPVnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 12:53 PM:

    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:24:49 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" stated in post
    >> t_udnSHTZIOOahDVnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 9:42 AM:

    >>> What question?

    > See....

    >>> You should really get some therapy, Michael.

    >> You, Rick, have acknowledged the following quotes from you are correct
    >> (or at least appear to be in your view):

    > (circus snip)

    I draw no conclusions that are not stated in the quotes. Whoever wrote the
    quotes was agreeing with me about at least some of the facts and problems
    associated with the fractured UI of desktop Linux.

    Yet you, Rick, deny agreeing with me.

    I can accept that you no longer agree with your above claims, but to deny
    them as you also have admitted they appear to be accurately yours is - well,
    another flip flop of yours.

    OK, and of course, Rick, you will whine about the *term* "fractured"... but
    the fact is the user experience of desktop Linux consists of, as *you* say,
    "at least 4 UIs". This clearly leads to inconsistencies... which *you* say
    is not "better for the user".

    So just where - other than your semantic games - do you think you disagree
    with me in the facts and problems with the fracturing of the user experience
    of desktop Linux?

    And - predictably - you will run from that question, Rick. You will claim I
    am lying for merely quoting you... and then you will not say which quote you
    think is not fairly quoted.

    How many times do you want to play that same game?

    --
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
    conscientious stupidity. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

  16. Re: Online Classes

    "Rick" stated in post
    t_udnV7TZINovhPVnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 12:54 PM:

    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:11:50 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" stated in post
    >> t_udnSjTZIN9chDVnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 9:12 AM:

    >>> You said it mangled the template. It did not mangle the template.

    >> As shown by the screen shots at the link it clearly did... as I have
    >> described.
    >>
    >> Why do you deny such easy to demonstrate facts?

    > The formatting of the table was slightly different. That is not mangling
    > the template.

    The formatting of the table is not the only error OpenOffice made:

    Now you play semantic games with the term "mangled", but clearly the
    representation of the file is different enough as to risk ones grade.

    --
    Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.
    --Albert Einstein

  17. Re: Online Classes

    "Rick" stated in post
    t_udnVnTZIN-uRPVnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 12:58 PM:

    > On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:24:26 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" stated in post
    >> t_udnSfTZIPubxDVnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 9:23 AM:

    >>> I don't care why.

    >> LOL! Not now... now that you have been told that there would be no
    >> problem with using a different one.

    > I don't care why now, I didn't care why then.
    >

    >> Before you claimed it was merely an opinion that it was silly to require
    >> a *USB* mic.

    > It still is an opinion. Your opinion. Apparently your opinion differs
    > from the teacher's.
    >

    >>> Is it a class requirement or not?

    >> This has been covered repeatedly... if you cannot figure it out yet that
    >> is your problem.

    > So, you are admitting you don't know if it is a requirement or not, even
    > though it was plainly stated as a requirement.
    >
    >> If you apologize for your going out of your way to tie
    >> your posts to my name *and* agree to no longer do so in the future I
    >> will help you understand such basic things.

    > Michael Glxsser, you are a liar.
    >

    >> And in response Rick will dig through the thread and claim he was merely
    >> feigning ignorance.
    >>
    >> Completely predictable.

    > Michael Glxsser, you are a liar.

    >>> What claims?

    >> Yours: specifically that it is merely an opinion that the *USB* mic
    >> requirement is silly...

    > What is there to back up? Your statement that the *USB* mic requirement
    > is silly is not a fact, it is an opinion. Your opinion.
    >
    >> yet you cannot think of a single reason why it
    >> would not be silly... heck, you can no longer even figure out what the
    >> requirements stated!

    > You're a liar, Michael Glxsser.

    > Screw you. Go take your meds.

    On and on you go... spewing insults and lies and tying your trolling to *my*
    name. How pathetic.

    I have stated why a requirement for a *USB* mic in the example given is
    silly - it makes *no* difference if the mic uses USB or some other
    connector. None. There is no difference as far as the class goes.

    You disagree... but your only defense is to say that the "teacher" must
    disagree... though you do not even state what teacher. And even though you
    make it clear you know that the USB mic was listed as a requirement, as have
    I, you still feign ignorance and ask questions such as:

    Is it a class requirement or not?

    And when you are called on your BS you openly lie and state things such as:

    you are admitting you don't know if it is a requirement
    or not

    Being that I never said any such thing, Rick, you lied.

    --
    The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of
    limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and
    great nations. - David Friedman

  18. Re: Online Classes

    "Rick" stated in post
    t_udnVnTZIN-uRPVnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 12:58 PM:

    >> LOL! Not now... now that you have been told that there would be no
    >> problem with using a different one.

    > I don't care why now, I didn't care why then.

    --
    It usually takes me more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu
    speech. -- Mark Twain

  19. Re: Circus over

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:06:05 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > t_udnSLTZIOKvhPVnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 12:50 PM:
    >
    >> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:24:33 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" stated in post
    >>> t_udnSbTZIMNaxDVnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 9:40 AM:

    >>> You, Rick, have acknowledged the following quotes from you are correct
    >>> (or at least appear to be in your view)snip)

    >> Answered in another post.
    >> The quotes look like mine.
    >> Your conclusions are wrong.

    > You, Rick, have acknowledged the following quotes from you are correct
    > (or at least appear to be in your view):

    Circus Over.
    --
    Rick

  20. Re: Circus over

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:07:04 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > t_udnV3TZIP_vhPVnZ2dnUVZ_rHinZ2d@supernews.com on 7/28/08 12:52 PM:

    >>> You, Rick, have acknowledged the following quotes from you are correct
    >>> (or at least appear to be in your view):
    >>>

    >> ( Circus snip)
    >>
    >> Replied to in another post.
    >> The quotes look like mine.
    >> Your conclusion's are incorrect.(snip)