BestBuy Does Not Sell the Linux Version of the Asus Eee anymnore. - Linux

This is a discussion on BestBuy Does Not Sell the Linux Version of the Asus Eee anymnore. - Linux ; BestBuy used to offer the Linux version of the Eee but for some reason it is not listed anymore, or at least I cannot locate it online. Anyone know what happened? -- Moshe Goldfarb Collector of soaps from around the ...

  1. BestBuy Does Not Sell the Linux Version of the Asus Eee anymnore.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: BestBuy Does Not Sell the Linux Version of the Asus Eee anymnore.

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > BestBuy used to offer the Linux version of the Eee but for some
    > reason it is not listed anymore, or at least I cannot locate it
    > online.
    >
    > Anyone know what happened?

    because nobody will buy it - pretty simple.

    Toad

    --

  3. Re: BestBuy Does Not Sell the Linux Version of the Asus Eee anymnore.

    toad wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >

    >> BestBuy used to offer the Linux version of the Eee but for some
    >> reason it is not listed anymore, or at least I cannot locate it
    >> online.
    >>
    >> Anyone know what happened?

    > because nobody will buy it - pretty simple.

    Yeah, right. Asus sold 1.3 million units in one quarter -- the same quarter
    Apple was selling 1.4 million of their laptops. Not bad for a startup.

    Ain't the truth a bitch?

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  4. Re: BestBuy Does Not Sell the Linux Version of the Asus Eee anymnore.

    In article <1fqsaxh4b19ii.fvefmefgy72z$.dlg@40tude.net>,
    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote:

    > BestBuy used to offer the Linux version of the Eee but for some reason it
    > is not listed anymore, or at least I cannot locate it online.
    >
    > Anyone know what happened?

    Hmmm...they now only have one EEE listed...the one that is also
    available in stores. If my recollection is right, they used to offer a
    couple of models only via the internet--the Linux model and another
    Windows model.

    If I am indeed remembering right, it could be that online sales were
    simply poor, regardless of the OS. I'd certainly be reluctant to buy
    without trying, because there is no good way to tell how well the small
    keyboard would work for me. If a lot of people feel that way, I could
    see almost all the sales being in-store.

    Even for a full sized laptop, I'd be reluctant to buy without trying.
    About the only exceptions would be the current Apple laptops--because
    the MacBook keyboard is basically the same as the desktop keyboard I'm
    now using (the compact Apple wireless keyboard), and the MacBook Pro
    keyboard is basically the same as my PowerBook keyboard (I think the Air
    is pretty much the same as the MacBook as far as keyboard goes). But
    Best Buy has all those Macs, so there would be no need to buy blind. :-)

    --
    --Tim Smith

  5. Re: BestBuy Does Not Sell the Linux Version of the Asus Eee anymnore.

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > Best Buy has all those Macs, so there would be no need to buy blind. :-)

    And yet Asus has sold nearly as many laptop units as Mac. Go figure.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  6. Re: BestBuy Does Not Sell the Linux Version of the Asus Eee anymnore.

    RonB wrote:
    > toad wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >>> BestBuy used to offer the Linux version of the Eee but for some
    >>> reason it is not listed anymore, or at least I cannot locate it
    >>> online.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know what happened?

    >> because nobody will buy it - pretty simple.

    > Yeah, right. Asus sold 1.3 million units in one quarter -- the same quarter
    > Apple was selling 1.4 million of their laptops. Not bad for a startup.

    Asus has bee around for many years---at least 12 years. That is not a
    startup.

    > Ain't the truth a bitch?

  7. Re: BestBuy Does Not Sell the Linux Version of the Asus Eee anymnore.

    In article <48ssk.19254$Aw4.6955@fe115.usenetserver.com>,
    Matt wrote:
    > RonB wrote:
    > > Yeah, right. Asus sold 1.3 million units in one quarter -- the same quarter
    > > Apple was selling 1.4 million of their laptops. Not bad for a startup.

    > Asus has bee around for many years---at least 12 years. That is not a
    > startup.

    19 years, in fact (founded 1989). They have been in the notebook market
    for at least 10 years.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  8. Re: BestBuy Does Not Sell the Linux Version of the Asus Eee anymnore.

    "Tim Smith" wrote in message
    > In article <48ssk.19254$Aw4.6955@fe115.usenetserver.com>,
    > Matt wrote:
    >> RonB wrote:
    >> > Yeah, right. Asus sold 1.3 million units in one quarter -- the same
    >> > quarter
    >> > Apple was selling 1.4 million of their laptops. Not bad for a startup.

    >> Asus has bee around for many years---at least 12 years. That is not a
    >> startup.

    > 19 years, in fact (founded 1989). They have been in the notebook market
    > for at least 10 years.

    And not doing so hot.

+ Reply to Thread