Re: [News] New Paper on the Economics of Free Software - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] New Paper on the Economics of Free Software - Linux ; Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly: > The Economic Motivation of Open Source Software: Stakeholder > Perspectives The need for committers An employee’s position in the open source project is another key part of his or ...

  1. Re: [News] New Paper on the Economics of Free Software

    > The Economic Motivation of Open Source Software: Stakeholder
    > Perspectives

    The need for committers

    An employee’s position in the open source project is another key part of
    his or her value to a firm. The organizational setup varies between open
    source projects, but in some form, people always play user, contributor,
    and committer roles.
    http://www.riehle.org/computer-scien...puter-2007.pdf

    Yes, this is exactly what makes Free Software work.

    > "That would be because we believe in Free Software and doing the
    > right thing (a practice you appear to have given up on). Maybe it is
    > time the term 'open source' also did the decent thing and died out
    > with you."
    >
    > --Alan Cox to Eric Raymond

    I guess not "Everybody Loves Eric Raymond":

    http://geekz.co.uk/lovesraymond/arch...-them-the-code

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining
    | armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos
    | neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate
    | technology, led them into it in the first place." ~ Douglas Adams
    `----

    13:03:50 up 214 days, 9:39, 3 users, load average: 0.31, 0.36, 0.36

  2. Re: [News] New Paper on the Economics of Free Software

    * Homer peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> "That would be because we believe in Free Software and doing the
    >> right thing (a practice you appear to have given up on). Maybe it is
    >> time the term 'open source' also did the decent thing and died out
    >> with you."
    >>
    >> --Alan Cox to Eric Raymond

    > I guess not "Everybody Loves Eric Raymond":
    >
    > http://geekz.co.uk/lovesraymond/arch...-them-the-code

    I still use fetchmail, though.

    Even funnier:

    http://geekz.co.uk/lovesraymond/archive/sell-out

    Hmm, actually quite a few funnies there! Poor bastard has a target on
    i'm as fat as his ass!

    --
    Mausoleum: The final and funniest folly of the rich.
    -- Ambrose Bierce

  3. Re: [News] New Paper on the Economics of Free Software

    > I still use fetchmail, though.

    Heathen!!!

    Thou shalt use IMAP over SSL.

    > Even funnier:
    >
    > http://geekz.co.uk/lovesraymond/archive/sell-out

    "Free as in cool refreshing Budweiser™"

    LOL! Yes, that's our Eric.

    > Hmm, actually quite a few funnies there! Poor bastard has a target
    > on i'm as fat as his ass!

    Well he painted the bullseye on his own ass.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining
    | armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos
    | neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate
    | technology, led them into it in the first place." ~ Douglas Adams
    `----

    17:38:53 up 214 days, 14:14, 4 users, load average: 0.43, 0.30, 0.28

  4. Re: [News] New Paper on the Economics of Free Software

    * Homer peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Well he painted the bullseye on his own ass.

    Another funny one:

    http://geekz.co.uk/lovesraymond/archive/gpl-3-democracy

    . . .

    Drop GPL and move to BSD license.
    Big business needs the help.

    . . .

    Allow blatent [sic] use of any and all code if large profits are at
    stake?

    LOL.

    --
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

  5. Re: [News] New Paper on the Economics of Free Software

    > Allow blatent [sic] use of any and all code if large profits are
    > at stake?
    >
    > LOL.

    I bet Linus had a hernia over that one.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/puerexmachina/778796797/

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining
    | armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos
    | neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate
    | technology, led them into it in the first place." ~ Douglas Adams
    `----

    19:51:09 up 214 days, 16:26, 4 users, load average: 0.27, 0.31, 0.32

+ Reply to Thread