[News] [Rival] Microsoft Brand Value in the UK Drops - Linux

  1. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Brand Value in the UK Drops

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    > Google 'UK's top consumer brand'
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Google also topped a poll of "superbrands" as judged by professionals
    > earlier
    > | this year.
    > `----

    Big stink'n deal. Microsoft *finally* lost the #1 spot one time and is
    listed as being the #2 "superbrand" out there. It's hardly that Microsoft
    hate and resentment you keep blabbering about.

  2. [News] [Rival] Microsoft Brand Value in the UK Drops

    Google 'UK's top consumer brand'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Google also topped a poll of "superbrands" as judged by professionals earlier
    | this year.
    `----

    Microsoft has fallen in all the recently-published ladders (some examples
    below).

    Recent:

    Google reputation hits top spot

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Google has finally managed to push Microsoft from its top spot.
    |
    | The Vole actually fell to tenth place in the annual Harris Interactive
    | Reputation Quotient poll, but overall, the tech sector did outstandingly well
    | this year.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...-microsoft-top

    Microsoft’s credibility turning to junk while Linux revenue grows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sweeping changes are needed in Microsoft’s go-to-market approach, and it may
    | find more success by creating products like Live Writer, which found a huge
    | following right away. Continuing on its current path, the company will
    | continue to destroy its credibility and build animosity with users looking
    | for quality products on their terms. * *
    `----

    http://tech.blorge.com/Structure%20/...revenue-grows/
    http://tinyurl.com/5fojkd

    Microsoft Plummets, Retail Falls While Beauty Gains in CoreBrand 2007 Brand
    Power Rankings

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=834308

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Would you believe... that Microsoft has dropped down to #86 within the
    | Fortune Best Places to Work survey? That's down from #50 in 2007 and #42 in
    | 2006. Like a rock. In a bad way. And who is #1 for two years in a row? Grab
    | that chair and give it a big effen toss in the air to Google! Toot! They get
    | bigger and they're still #1. * *
    `----

    http://minimsft.blogspot.com/2008/02...nd-mspoll.html

    Apple has biggest impact on world consumers: survey

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft, the world's largest software maker was also a winner, but it
    | received the dubious honor of the brand most readers wanted to argue with,
    | and the one they most wanted to revamp. Voted into second place in the
    | category was brand USA. *
    `----

    http://www.reuters.com/article/domes...50164020080331

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Brand Value in the UK Drops

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:49:07 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Google 'UK's top consumer brand'
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Google also topped a poll of "superbrands" as judged by professionals
    >> earlier
    >>| this year.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7516343.stm
    >>

    > Big stink'n deal. Microsoft *finally* lost the #1 spot one time and is
    > listed as being the #2 "superbrand" out there. It's hardly that Microsoft
    > hate and resentment you keep blabbering about.

    Where is Linux on the list?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Brand Value in the UK Drops

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.

    wrote
    on Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:45:48 -0400
    :
    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:49:07 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Google 'UK's top consumer brand'
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> earlier
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7516343.stm
    >>>

    >> Big stink'n deal. Microsoft *finally* lost the #1 spot one time and is
    >> listed as being the #2 "superbrand" out there. It's hardly that Microsoft
    >> hate and resentment you keep blabbering about.

    > Where is Linux on the list?

    Where should it be? Linux is not a company, nor is it in
    the top 500. Even Ubuntu doesn't show up on this list;
    nor does RedHat, Firefox, Debian, or SuSE, or for that
    matter, Windows proper.

    http://www.superbrands.uk.com/about/...ionProcess.php

    For its part IBM hit #58, between Black & Decker and Nintendo;
    Dell is at #63 sandwiched between London Eye and Hornby;
    Hewlett-Packard is at #73 sandwiched between Thomas Cook
    and Oxford University Press; Yahoo! is at #75 with Audi
    just below it.

    For some odd reason Wembley Stadium is at #87; I would
    have thought it higher than that (though don't follow
    European football). Intel is at #99, between PG Tips and
    Harvey Nichols.

    Adobe has a minor problem; Flash, like Linux, is also
    linked to a cleaning product. Flash is #135 in the list;
    Macromedia did not make the list, though Adobe comes in
    at #278. Roesch (the manufacturers of a washing powder
    named Linux) also didn't make the list.

    For its part AOL actually did make the list, barely;
    it's at #466.

    Apart from Google, the highest ranking brand that is
    apparently related to Linux might be Sony (#10) or Lego
    (#16), and both appear incidental; the PS3 is *not*
    designed to run Linux (though there are suggestions one
    can install Linux thereon), nor is Lego Mindstorm(tm),
    though a HOWTO for the latter is available that suggests
    the remote development environment usually runs on Windows,
    and furthermore requires a file that is part of the MS
    Windows installation CD. But the erstwhile Mindstorm
    hacker running on Linux should be able to do a few things.

    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Lego/index.html

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #11823822:
    signal(SIGKILL, catchkill);

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Brand Value in the UK Drops

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > Adobe has a minor problem; Flash, like Linux, is also
    > linked to a cleaning product. Flash is #135 in the list;
    > Macromedia did not make the list, though Adobe comes in
    > at #278. Roesch (the manufacturers of a washing powder
    > named Linux) also didn't make the list.

    That's hardly surprising. It's a brit survey isn't it?
    Over here, there's no such thing as linux washing powder.
    We've even never seen a box.
    Over here, it's Fairy, Daz, Persil, Bold, Aerial. Surf and a few lesser
    brands. Lever and Proctor and Gambol produce 99% of the stuff.

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Brand Value in the UK Drops

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Andrew Halliwell

    wrote
    on Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:54:10 +0100
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> Adobe has a minor problem; Flash, like Linux, is also
    >> linked to a cleaning product. Flash is #135 in the list;
    >> Macromedia did not make the list, though Adobe comes in
    >> at #278. Roesch (the manufacturers of a washing powder
    >> named Linux) also didn't make the list.

    > That's hardly surprising. It's a brit survey isn't it?

    True; Roesch is Swiss, and I for one wouldn't think the
    import tarriffs/transport costs would be worth it. ;-)
    Except for the novelty.

    http://www.roesch-swiss.ch/?id=1142&prod_id=33

    > Over here, there's no such thing as linux washing powder.
    > We've even never seen a box.

    For what it's worth:

    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Im...aschmittel.jpg

    :-)

    I've not seen a box here, either, but then, I doubt Roesch
    would want to ship it around the world to the Pacific Coast
    of the US anyway.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Been there, done that, didn't get the T-shirt.