IBM, Oracle, SAP Sued Over Server Software Patents (Update1)

,----[ Quote ]
| International Business Machines Corp., Oracle Corp. and SAP AG were sued by a
| closely held company that accuses them of infringing its patents.
| Implicit Networks Inc., based in Seattle, claims the three companies and
| Adobe Systems Inc. are violating two patents for computer-server software
| that performs faster security functions. The patents were issued from 1998
| and 2001 applications.

Facebook sues German competitor

,----[ Quote ]
| FACEBOOK FILED an intellectual property lawsuit against StudiVZ, a German
| company accused of operating a virtual replica of the social networking site.

Trivial ideas. See the one below. Facebook is making friends with some of the
worst 'intellectual' monopolists and abusers (Amazon and Microsoft).

Mark Zuckerberg, Inventor

,----[ Quote ]
| After you check boxes on a form to indicate that 'Everyone from San
| Francisco, CA, Social Network Provider, and Harvard' can see your profile,
| Zuckerberg's 'invention' will miraculously display: 'People from San
| Francisco, CA, Social Network Provider, and Harvard can see your profile.'

The Delusions Of Nathan Myhrvold

,----[ Quote ]
| And here Myhrvold is either outright lying or he's ignorant (he can let us
| know which one). First of all no one has ever said that patent litigation is
| threatening to stop all innovation. They've just said that it is slowing the
| pace of innovation. And there's plenty of evidence to support that, despite
| Myhrvold's claim that there's none. James Bessen and Michael Meurer just came
| out with a whole book detailing much of the evidence, and David Levine and
| Michele Boldrin also have a book with even more evidence. Did Myhrvold simply
| not know about these? Or is he lying to PC World?
| [...]
| I'm sure Myhrvold is a smart guy -- and he may truly believe that he's
| helping inventors and changing the world -- but he's either being purposely
| misleading or he's ignorant when it comes to patents and how they interact
| with the economy.

What does the Microsoft "partnership" with Facebook mean for users?

,----[ Quote ]
| First, Microsoft had a very instructive failure with Passport, and
| the "Hailstorm" effort of which it was a part.

Facebook teams with Amazon

,----[ Quote ]
| In a collaboration with Redmond-based Microsoft Inc.'s Popfly,
| Facebook users can create applications and add them to their
| profiles with no programming.

Who is the world's biggest patent troll?

,----[ Quote ]
| In two consecutive days, The Wall Street Journal presented two different
| answers. The first is not surprising: Intellectual Ventures, the brainchild
| of ex-Microsoft executive Nathan Myhrvold. It's now out "to raise as much as
| $1 billion to help develop and patent inventions, many of them from
| universities in Asia."

Facebook: Buyout Frenzy Builds Around Rumored IPO

,----[ Quote ]
| Ashkan Karbasfrooshan outlines the current agreement with Microsoft and makes
| the case for a Facebook IPO in 2008 in great detail. Great post, Ashkan!
| My personal feeling is that Facebook would NEVER sell out to Microsoft and
| risk pissing off it employees and user base but we shall see.b

Facebook users give thumbs down to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The Facebook community, populated as it is by a large core of university
| students, is one of the strongest bastions of anti-Microsoft sentiment on the
| web, and frequently points out what it sees as the flaws in many of the
| software giant's products.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)