Towards using the FreeRunner as my primary phone

,----[ Quote ]
| First of all, having a phone that you can SSH into and do all the usual
| Linux-y stuff on is very, very, cool. When you plug the phone into your
| GNU/Linux computer it appears as a device on the other end of a new network
| interface usb0. An SSH server is configured and works out of the box. You
| need to do a small amount of configuration to let your FreeRunner use your
| computer's connection to get to the internet.
| [...]
| I installed a PDF reader and downloaded a couple of e-books to the phone.
| Astonishingly I can (pretty comfortably) read pages formatted for printed
| books on the FreeRunner's screen.

Jailbreak for iPhone 3G released: how to use

,----[ Quote ]
| The “iPhone Dev Team” has released PwnageTool 2.0, a utility for Mac OS X
| capable of jailbreaking (allowing full read/write filesystem access and the
| installation of unofficial third party applications) the iPhone 3G. The tool
| can also unlock first-generation iPhones that have been updated to iPhone OS
| 2.0.

In the Guardian, Microsoft Jack is once again attacking RMS from his high horse
(over iPhone). Even iPhone users obviously want their freedom if Jailbreak
came into inception.

Linux phone mechanicals published

,----[ Quote ]
| Mobile phone design company Openmoko has posted industrial design source CAD
| files for its Linux-based, open source Neo 1973 phone (pictured at left).
| Openmoko has also committed to providing open source access to the
| mechanicals for its upcoming Neo Freerunner phone design. *

The Enlightened future of OpenMoko Linux mobile phones

,----[ Quote ]
| I met lead Enlightenment developer Carsten Haitzler in the exhibition hall at
| the Southern California Linux Expo (SCALE) this past weekend. Carsten told me
| about prospects for the future of Enlightenment and shared with me some
| details about his work at OpenMoko, a division of FIC which is developing *
| Linux-based open-source mobile phone handsets. He sees a big future for Linux
| in the mobile and embedded space and notes that Enlightenment, with its small
| memory footprint, is ideal for deployment on such devices. * *

Enlightenment Desktop UI running on the Neo1973

,----[ Quote ]
| Another UI video has surfaced showing E17 enlightenment running the the
| Neo1973.

OpenMoko Developer Preview Sold Out After Unexpected Demand

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenMoko, the first Open Source cell phone, has sold out the entire planned
| production run for the device's developer preview after unexpected demand.

iPhone matures the "free your phone" movement

,----[ Quote ]
| This is why FreeTheIPhone.org project is born, but even better, why OpenMoko
| project exists. While some are trying to free the locked down device, others
| are creating a free unlocked device from the start, and a whole software
| framework to go with it. *

OpenMoko prepping to push sales of Linux-based handset

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenMoko, a Linux-based open source handset platform developer, is pushing
| the development of Linux-based smartphone with its open source handset, the
| Neo 1973, which may be available to the mass-market in the second half of
| 2008, according to company sources. *

Android vs. OpenMoko: Who Will Win?

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week Google announced Android, which is the newest open-source mobile
| phone platform. Google is not the only company behind Android but several
| companies make up the Open Handset Alliance. *
| [...]
| Meanwhile, the open-source mobile platform known to many GNU/Linux users,
| OpenMoko, hasn't kicked up nearly as much mainstream media attention. Both
| OpenMoko and Android leverage the power of the Linux kernel and other
| open-source projects to provide a free software platform for mobile devices. *

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)