Towards using the FreeRunner as my primary phone

,----[ Quote ]
| First of all, having a phone that you can SSH into and do all the usual
| Linux-y stuff on is very, very, cool. When you plug the phone into your
| GNU/Linux computer it appears as a device on the other end of a new network
| interface usb0. An SSH server is configured and works out of the box. You
| need to do a small amount of configuration to let your FreeRunner use your
| computer's connection to get to the internet.
|
| [...]
|
| I installed a PDF reader and downloaded a couple of e-books to the phone.
| Astonishingly I can (pretty comfortably) read pages formatted for printed
| books on the FreeRunner's screen.
`----

http://psung.blogspot.com/2008/07/to...y-primary.html

Jailbreak for iPhone 3G released: how to use

,----[ Quote ]
| The “iPhone Dev Team” has released PwnageTool 2.0, a utility for Mac OS X
| capable of jailbreaking (allowing full read/write filesystem access and the
| installation of unofficial third party applications) the iPhone 3G. The tool
| can also unlock first-generation iPhones that have been updated to iPhone OS
| 2.0.
`----

http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2008/07/1...ed-how-to-use/
http://tinyurl.com/5kst5r

In the Guardian, Microsoft Jack is once again attacking RMS from his high horse
(over iPhone). Even iPhone users obviously want their freedom if Jailbreak
came into inception.

Recent:

Linux phone mechanicals published

,----[ Quote ]
| Mobile phone design company Openmoko has posted industrial design source CAD
| files for its Linux-based, open source Neo 1973 phone (pictured at left).
| Openmoko has also committed to providing open source access to the
| mechanicals for its upcoming Neo Freerunner phone design. *
`----

Related:

The Enlightened future of OpenMoko Linux mobile phones

,----[ Quote ]
| I met lead Enlightenment developer Carsten Haitzler in the exhibition hall at
| the Southern California Linux Expo (SCALE) this past weekend. Carsten told me
| about prospects for the future of Enlightenment and shared with me some
| details about his work at OpenMoko, a division of FIC which is developing *
| Linux-based open-source mobile phone handsets. He sees a big future for Linux
| in the mobile and embedded space and notes that Enlightenment, with its small
| memory footprint, is ideal for deployment on such devices. * *
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...le-phones.html

Enlightenment Desktop UI running on the Neo1973

,----[ Quote ]
| Another UI video has surfaced showing E17 enlightenment running the the
| Neo1973.
`----

http://mobilemoko.net/2007/enlighten...n-the-neo1973/

OpenMoko Developer Preview Sold Out After Unexpected Demand

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenMoko, the first Open Source cell phone, has sold out the entire planned
| production run for the device's developer preview after unexpected demand.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2007/8/6/24279

iPhone matures the "free your phone" movement

,----[ Quote ]
| This is why FreeTheIPhone.org project is born, but even better, why OpenMoko
| project exists. While some are trying to free the locked down device, others
| are creating a free unlocked device from the start, and a whole software
| framework to go with it. *
`----

http://www.mobiliberty.com/iphone_ma...phone_movement

OpenMoko prepping to push sales of Linux-based handset

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenMoko, a Linux-based open source handset platform developer, is pushing
| the development of Linux-based smartphone with its open source handset, the
| Neo 1973, which may be available to the mass-market in the second half of
| 2008, according to company sources. *
`----

http://www.digitimes.com/telecom/a20071116PD213.html

Android vs. OpenMoko: Who Will Win?